Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2016, 21:10   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark

My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-fb_img_1457714927516_1457715035535.jpg
INTRO
This is my 3 rd ownership review in Team-Bhp. I have driven 1 lakh kms in my 5 year old SX4.I have faced numerous issues and a major accident. Everyone adviced me to get rid of the car. But maruti never put me down and offered strong after sales support for all the issues faced. I will write down in brief about car, service details, problems faced, accident, petes remap and wolf remap.

WHAT I LIKE:
1.Strong mid range power
2.Good ride and handling
3.High GC
4.Comfortable seats and good interior space
5.Boot space
6.Build quality

WHAT I DON'T LIKE
1.Basic interiors
2.Lack of FE display, distance to empty in MID
3.Rear floor hump
4.Turbo lag
5.Stock headlamps (not much improvement even with osram night breakers, blame the design)

PRE-DELIVERY

March 2011
We had Maruti 800,Alto K10 and HM Ambassador. I always liked SX4 for being the only sedan practical for our roads but was put down by a lack of diesel engine. Maruti launched SX4 with tried and tested 1.3 ddis engine in February 2011. We wanted a sedan with good space and GC. I went for a test drive with dad. We both loved the car and it never felt underpowered thanks to excellent tuning and gearbox by Maruti. Maruti is master of tuning fiat 1.3 multijet. SX4 ZDI had all basic features and most importantly airbags and ABS. It was a practical car for us with 9.5 lakhs on road. My local dealer in kasaragod quoted 6-8 weeks waiting period(Yes, SX4 diesel did have waiting period during initial few months post launch). I checked with various dealers in mangalore, kannur and calicut. Indus motors calicut promised to deliver a silky silver SX4 ZDI In 2 weeks. We paid the booking amount and ended up getting the car in 4 weeks. I had taken TP from calicut and registered the car within a month at kasaragod RTO.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 12th March 2016 at 17:23.
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 22:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi - Remapped by Wolf Moto, EDIT: 10+ years & 1.3 lakh km done

POST-DELIVERY

EXTERIOR
SX4 sedan was derived from global SX4 hatch/cross over. It was basically designed by Fiat. Fiat sold the car as Sedici. I found Sx4 good looking except for bulky rear. Front looks aggressive with those headlamps and muscular creases on bonnet. Lines and creases look more prominent in silver color. I found the rear way too bulky and boot integration into a hatch is so evident. 16 inch 205/60 tyres with bulky wheel arches and 180mm GC give it a MUSCULAR look. Paint quality is good like other marutis. Panel gaps are tight and consistent except at few places. Build quality is really good and this is a maruti with 1245 kgs(Kudos to Fiat design). Doors shut with a decent thud and feels heavy. Bonnet has good weight and boot lid is on lighter side.

My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-dsc01192_1457864732034.jpg
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-dsc01194_1457864788544.jpg
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160313_144015.jpg
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160313_144006.jpg

INTERIOR
Interior design is basic. Plastic quality is average and fit and finish is good. Maruti has given two tone interior. AC control knobs look good and have a premium feel. Features like Auto AC, electrically adjustable ORVM, steering mounted audio controls etc are provided. Steering wheel, drive side door panel controls, MID is shared with old swift. Audio system is just average and upgrade is a must for audiophiles. There's no FE display, distance to empty, low fuel warning lamp in MID. AC is powerful and chills down the cabin quickly. All four doors get bottle holders.

Dashboard
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160313_144440.jpg

Audio system & Auto AC
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160313_144513.jpg

Driver side door trim
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160313_144546.jpg

Rear door trim
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160313_144559.jpg

SEATS, SPACE & COMFORT
Front seats are large and offer good comfort. Seats are set high and there is good under thigh support too. Seats are on stiffer side and offer good comfort on long drives. There is adequate legroom, headroom and shoulder room.
Rear seat is set higher than front with adequate under thigh support. Legroom and shoulder room is pretty good with little compromise on headroom. There is extra bolstering at sides and passengers will be at home in rear seat of sx4 with a beefy arm rest.

Front seats
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160313_144141.jpg

Rear seat
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160313_144331.jpg

BOOT
Boot space is huge with 505 litres. Boot lamp is present. Maruti has not provided any boot cladding and wires are exposed. Spare tyre is an alloy (gone are the days when maruti provided all 5 alloys! )

Huge boot
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160313_144800.jpg

Boot cladding absent
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160313_144811.jpg

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 13th March 2016 at 16:46.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 01:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi - Remapped by Wolf Moto, EDIT: 10+ years & 1.3 lakh km done

My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160313_144655.jpg
ENGINE & TRANSMISSION
Sx4 is equipped with tried and tested 1.3 multijet diesel from Fiat. Maruti has done an excellent tuning of this engine to provide better performance in sx4. 1.3 multijet is a free revving engine and maxes out at 5200 rpm. There is good power at mid range which makes it fun to drive. Turbo lag is present and Maruti should have tried to reduce it. 0-100 and in gear acceleration is pretty good considering 1245 kgs weight. It is faster than linea/manza/punto 90hp.
Gear shifts are short and butter smooth, thanks to detent pin technology. There is a good click sound while shifting.

RIDE & HANDLING
With 180 mm GC, Sx4 is one of the most practical sedan for Indian roads. Ride quality is good. This car can tackle broken roads with ease. Suspension is on stiffer side.
I was surprised to find good handling in a car with 180 mm GC and tall stance. Maruti has done a good job by providing stiffer springs and wider tyres to aid handling. Steering response could have been better. Stock JK tyres provide decent grip but noise is on louder side. Braking is simply superb. Braking distance of sx4 diesel was the best in autocar comparison of diesel sedans.

FUEL EFFICIENCY & SERVICE COSTS

FE
City:14-15 kmpl
Highway:17-18 kmpl

Service costs
Initial service costs were high due to synthetic oil change by MASS. Maruti was very particular about synthetic oil initially and later they sent a circular saying even mineral oil can be used. Routine service costs never exceeded 5k. Maruti recommends EGR cleaning at every 30k kms which costs around 2k.My grand i10 service costs were comparatively cheaper.

ACCESSORIES
1.3D floor mats from Ebay (1.5k)
2.Osram night breaker headlights(1.6k from snapdeal)
3.3M CR-70 front windshield sunfilm (8k)
4.Garware sunfilm on side windows and rear windshield(around 2k)

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 14th March 2016 at 00:21.
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 02:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

PROBLEMS FACED

1.7000 kms: Intermittent Power loss
There was sudden loss of power and car wouldn't respond to accelerator input. Turbo was not switching on. Car gets back to normal after I restart the engine. Various sensors, fuel pump, EGR solenoid etc were changed and problem couldn't be sorted out. This issue was there till 85k kms and had not recurred in last 15k kms (touch wood)

2.40000 kms : Power loss above 3000 rpm
There was sudden drop in power and car used to go into limp mode with check engine light when I touch 3000 rpm. Error code was turbo high boost. Turbo was replaced under warranty which costs 40k

3.50000 kms : Gear box sound
I noticed mild humming sound from gearbox. I complained the same to MASS and they refused to accept the same. So we went for a drive during night and made them hear the sound. MASS tried changing Synchronisers and noise was still present. Ultimately Maruti engineers had to come from plant and replace it with a new gearbox under extended warranty(which costs 70k)

4.80000 kms :Low Oil pressure light
I saw low oil pressure warning and immediately took the car to MASS. Car had only 500 ML of oil. Since I was in thrissur, I had to visit BRD motors thrissur. SA said engine requires reboring and would cost 50k.i noticed something fishy here. I checked the bores and it was smooth. So I asked them to change only rings and engine head service which costed me 10k. I have driven 20k kms after the engine work and no issues.

5.88000 kms : Brake fluid empty
When I switched on the car, clutch was dead. I called maruti on road service and they put brake fluid. Car was then taken to MASS and diagnosed as clutch cylinder leak. Clutch cylinder and release bearing were replaced (4k cost)
P. S I had met with a bad accident at 72500 kms and brake fluid sensor wiring was not connected post repairs. So I did not get low brake fluid warning light.Clutch and brake fluid is same for cars with Hydraulic clutch.

6.95000 kms Kat kat sound from front left side

Lower arm Bush is broken. Sad part is Maruti doesn't sell that particular Bush. So entire left lower arm had to be changed which costs 6k. Yes the cost is 6k because it is SGP part. I got the lower arm from talbros online from motrpart.in for 2k and installed it. I have run 5k kms without any complaints.

Talbros lower arm
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160109_164301.jpg

I have listed only major problems. There were other minor issues like glow plugs, rear right shock absorber which were replaced under warranty

Routine Maintenance

1.TYRES:I have replaced all 4 tyres twice. Stock JKS lasted 45k kms and I replaced it with Nexen. I had to change the tyres again at 72.5k kms due to accident. I opted for Falken and grip levels are really good.

2.Brake pads:It was changed at 35k,60k,72.5k(accident) and 95k kms.

3.Battery:Stock battery was replaced at 60k kms

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 13th March 2016 at 15:12.
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 02:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

MAJOR ACCIDENT

JANUARY 2015-72500 KMS
I lost control on a corner while driving at night (thanks to oil on road). I did not even realise what happened and I had crashed into construction stones. I think I was doin around 80-90 kmph. It happened in fraction of second and I don't even remember applying brakes. Airbags were deployed. I was belted too. Car had taken all the impact and passenger cabin was intact. Impact did manage to cause a very minor fracture of my lumbar vertebra (no surgery done, recovered in few weeks). It took 2 months for repair and total bill was 3.96 lakhs. I had to pay 1.33 lakhs from pocket. Repair job was ok. I was not happy with few panel gaps and a bad paint mismatch which became evident only after couple of months. Wheel alignment is the first thing to go on toss for a post accident repair car. I have driven more than 25k kms post repair without any major complaints.

Parts replaced
1.Front bumper, headlights, fog lamps, bonnet, right fender, right apron assembly, windshield
2.Radiator, intercooler, engine mounts, body harness
3.Right side suspension, anti roll bar, Steering column, right side drive shaft, front tyres and alloys
4.Airbag assembly, seat belt pre-tensioners

Accident pics
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img20150119wa0001.jpg
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img20150119wa0003.jpg
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img20150119wa0000.jpg

Undergoing repairs
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-dsc_0202_1.jpg
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-dsc_0204_1.jpg

At paint room
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-dsc_0205.jpg

Post repairs & painting
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-dsc_0211.jpg
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-dsc_0212_1.jpg
Note paint mismatch between driver side door and rear door

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 13th March 2016 at 15:48.
Dr.Naren is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 12:13   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

JULY 2015-PETES REMAP
My car had clocked 78k kms and I got the Remap itch. I decided to go with Petes remap since Petes is a well known name. Remap costed 28k and power gain was quoted as 110bhp and 245nm.There was wheel spin even in 2 nd gear and turbo kick was more addictive. I loved the remap initially. Same day, I had to drive back 400 kms to mangalore from cochin at night. This drive made me hate the remap. I noticed flat spots in map and huge pile of smoke above 3k rpm. Also fuel efficiency dropped by 2 kmpl. I started missing my stock map. I had to schedule a drive back to cochin for stock map which I couldn't. I drove for 2000 kms more and noticed low oil pressure warning light. Maruti service advisor asked me to do engine overhaul. I cross checked the same with my FNG mechanic and only piston rings and engine head service was done. I dont know if remap was the culprit. Post repair, I used to drive car very safely. Finally after driving 5k kms I got my stock map. Engine oil consumption was nothing significant after piston rings change.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 12th March 2016 at 12:14.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 12:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

DECEMBER 2015-WOLF MOTO REMAP
I had run 93k kms in my SX4. I did not face any oil consumption or mileage drop issues post piston rings change. But my car used to smoke a little even in stock map now. I read about switchable maps from Wolf and wanted to try the same. I drove again to Kochi for remap. Wolf tuner read my stock map and he was surprised to find out that it is a 512 kb file. This is the first time he saw 512 kb file in 90 hp multijet engine. He had not remapped any sx4 before, but did a lot of lineas and puntos which has same engine. He told switchable maps requires ECU recoding and it would take time. I had to get back to mangalore. So we decided to go for a normal remap and I was promised switchable maps in future. Rajiv, the tuner started the work on remap. He told he is not going to change fuel rail pressure, injection cycles etc. He increased turbo boost pressure by 13 percent, made mild changes to SOI(start of injection) and increased AFR by 8 percent. He flashed the new map and we go for a drive. I missed the wheel spin, addictive turbo kick of Petes remap. I could feel only mild increase in low end. I started revving above 2500 rpm and car was picking speed all the way to 4000 rpm. Power delivery is very prominent in 5 th gear. I shift to 5 th gear at 2500 rpm and push the pedal. Car picks up speed very well all the way to 4000 rpm.In stock map power used to taper above 3000 rpm and now it is increasing. I was happy with the remap. But there was black smoke above 3k rpm. Rajiv will correct it and fine tune when he flashes switchable maps in future. There were no flat spots and linear power delivery in turbo zone. I enjoyed my drive back to mangalore.

FEBRUARY 2016-UPDATE
I decided to catch up with Rajiv at bangalore for switchable maps. He told it will take at least one day. I had given my car to Rajiv and took his Octavia VRS remapped to around 200 bhp. Oh boy, that wolfed VRS is hoot to drive. To our surprise, switchable maps code was not getting written via OBD port. So the only option was bench flash. It required opening up the ECU. I decided to postpone the switchable maps and fine tune my present map (to decrease black smoke). We decided to fine tune it on NICE Road. Rajiv tried different maps and we finally fixed on one. In this new map, AFR and SOI was brought back to stock. Turbo boost was increased by 17 percent from stock. Black smoke decreased by good amount and power delivery was simply superb. Now my car pulls very well above 100 KMPH. Turbo kick is linear and there is sustained power delivery throughout the revv band. Mid range and top end is very very good. I am planning to catch up with Rajiv soon to try for little more power at low end and dyno run. I want to finalise on atleast 2 or 3 maps before I go for switchable maps. Since its a bench flash, ECU has to be removed every time for any corrections. So I will get switchable maps only after finalising few maps.

WHY WOLF REMAP?
1.Wolf moto is the only firm who offers switchable maps for multijet, T jet, dCI engines at a price equivalent or lesser than normal remap by other tuners
2.Rajiv is a master brain. He knows what he is doing and explains each and everything properly to the customer.
3. There are more than 100 fiat multijets running with Wolf switchable maps without any issues.

STRENTH OF WOLF REMAP:Car pulls madly in 5 th gear from 2500 rpm to 4000 rpm (guess the speeds)

P.S:I wish to drive this car for another 4-5 years/1 lakh kms. Sx4 was heavily underrated car and I am happy to answer any questions regarding the car, replacement parts, remap experience etc. Thanks for reading.
Cheers!!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 12th March 2016 at 17:34.
Dr.Naren is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 10:37   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Long-Term Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 16:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
JULY 2015-PETES REMAP
My car had clocked 78k kms and I got the Remap itch. I decided to go with Petes remap since Petes is a well known name. Remap costed 28k and power gain was quoted as 110bhp and 245nm.There was wheel spin even in 2 nd gear and turbo kick was more addictive. I loved the remap initially. Same day, I had to drive back 400 kms to mangalore from cochin at night. This drive made me hate the remap. I noticed flat spots in map and huge pile of smoke above 3k rpm. Also fuel efficiency dropped by 2 kmpl. I started missing my stock map. I had to schedule a drive back to cochin for stock map which I couldn't. I drove for 2000 kms more and noticed low oil pressure warning light. Maruti service advisor asked me to do engine overhaul. I cross checked the same with my FNG mechanic and only piston rings and engine head service was done. I dont know if remap was the culprit. Post repair, I used to drive car very safely. Finally after driving 5k kms I got my stock map. Engine oil consumption was nothing significant after piston rings change.
Sir,

Delighted to read your post. I also sail in the same boat, of Sx4 Zdi, 2012 edition. Totally agree with you on the positives of the car.

In 3.5 yrs, following things have undergone replacement in my car

1) 4th gear synchronizer (plague in 1.3, 90Bhp Engines, due to torque of engine)
2) Front Wheel bearing
3) Water Pump assembly
4) Lower Arm

All replaced under extended warranty!!

My car has done 53K, around 2,200rpm under hard acceleration, now I do witness black smoke, which wasn't earlier, is it normal?

Thanks

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 17:09   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, it is normal for a diesel engine to emit little black smoke under hard acceleration. Continuous black smoke is a concern though.

What is the cost of front wheel bearings? Also did you notice any sound while driving due to worn out wheel bearing?
Old 15th March 2016, 10:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is normal for a diesel engine to emit little black smoke under hard acceleration. Continuous black smoke is a concern though.

What is the cost of front wheel bearings? Also did you notice any sound while driving due to worn out wheel bearing?
The cost of bearings is around Rs 800/bearing+ Rs 100 as lathe charges, all covered in warranty!

The best way to check bearing is to feel the play within the tire. Lift the car on the jack, hold the tire from North pole and south pole and check for the play. If there is play, then bearing is the culprit. Road noise, is not the correct parameter.

In my next service, I am planning to go for Delvic 1 engine oil, till now have been sticking to Castrol synthetic, 5W-40, but honestly, not satisfied with this oil.

Thanks

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 10:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
The cost of bearings is around Rs 800/bearing+ Rs 100 as lathe charges, all covered in warranty!

The best way to check bearing is to feel the play within the tire. Lift the car on the jack, hold the tire from North pole and south pole and check for the play. If there is play, then bearing is the culprit. Road noise, is not the correct parameter.

In my next service, I am planning to go for Delvic 1 engine oil, till now have been sticking to Castrol synthetic, 5W-40, but honestly, not satisfied with this oil.

Thanks

Amit
Thanks for the information buddy. I noticed mild humming noise and was suspecting bearings. It's good to hear only bearings can be replaced. In my grand i10 entire assembly has to be changed. It comes as a unit with ABS sensors which costs 5k.

I have been using Mobil super MGDO synthetic oil 5W 40 which costs around 2k per oil change.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160102_082947.jpg  

My 2011 Maruti SX4 ZDi | Remapped by Wolf Moto | EDIT: Sold at the 12-year mark-img_20160102_083001.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 15th March 2016 at 11:00.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 11:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Great review about your car.

Just a little query for which I am surprised, you changed the piston rings and got the head overhauled twice in your car. Was a compression test done during both the times to ascertain the compression in the cylinders?
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 11:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Great review about your car.

Just a little query for which I am surprised, you changed the piston rings and got the head overhauled twice in your car. Was a compression test done during both the times to ascertain the compression in the cylinders?
Head service was done only once along with piston rings change. Heard overhaul is inevitable when you open up the engine. I do not believe the SA of this particular service centre. He was pushing me for engine overhaul which costs 55k saying compression low and scratches in bore. I felt the bores myself and there were nil scratches. Also my engine never showed any signs of low compression. I was away from home and this incident happened. So I had to take my car to service centre in that particular city.

When I told the details to my SA at regular service centre, he said there was no need to change piston rings too. It would have been a leak in head gasket or valve stem seal.
Also low oil pressure warning light used to come only on sharp right turns. Engine temperature never went above normal and there was around 1 litre of oil when drained. New SA was just trying to extract as much as possible by pushing for unnecessary works.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 11:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information buddy. I noticed mild humming noise and was suspecting bearings. It's good to hear only bearings can be replaced. In my grand i10 entire assembly has to be changed. It comes as a unit with ABS sensors which costs 5k.

I have been using Mobil super MGDO synthetic oil 5W 40 which costs around 2k per oil change.
How is the MGP Mobile super synthetic oil, it costs around Rs 1800 in Delhi? Any significant reduction in clutter noise or smoothness to drive the car?
amitpunjani is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks