Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2006, 15:59   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Guys,

I think I can clarify all your queries. The "Ghat " section referred by him is probably on the expressway which has good long stretches on the section from Khandala till the toll naka. I dont find that difficult to believe at all. He was not referring to the typical ghats I am sure.

Viper
Dear All,
Viper is right, i meant the expressway section of the ghats, not the actual ghats....that would definitly be suicidal....besides which road on the ghats tells to keep your speed at 30 kmph?
Old 29th September 2006, 22:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50
I dont know about mileage hence Im not commenting on it.

As far as handling is concerned. This month Overdrive's Auto Power 2006 tests results say Elantra is the best handling car in the market. This is purely OD's view. I havent driven Elantra.
Coming to Ikon. Now I have driven it and it handles well but I would like to rate one car above Ikon and its Corsa. It is just fantastic to drive. So for me Corsa scores more than Ikon.
Yes, I too read that OD report, but I think it wasn't ODs view that the elantra is the best handler but rather that of 30 elantra owners who had responded to the survey.

Infact if you remember, some time ago OD (or was it ACI, don't remember now) had done a test of India's best handling cars and the test riders were none other than Naren Kumar and Leela Krishnan, and according to that test, while the Octavia vrs topped the charts due to it's superior power, The Ikon was rated as the car most fun to drive (followed by Suzuki Swift). That was an opinion shared by all the testers that despite it's inferior power output, the Ikon was the best handler and most fun to drive, as far as handling is concerned. I think elantra managed great lap times but that was only because it had 125 ps at tap and not because it was a great handler.
Old 30th September 2006, 03:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self - 27th September 2006, at 14:29
....besides which road on the ghats tells to keep your speed at 30 kmph?
You tell us, mate -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self - 26th September 2006, at 16:52
i mean on the ghats where the signs say to do 30 kmph, i have done 150 without the aft section stepping out of line!!
You shouldnt take my signature too seriously.

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th September 2006 at 03:12.
Old 12th October 2006, 22:42   #19
BHPian

My uncle just bought the Elantra GLS for 8-something lakhs on-road Delhi. He went out to have a look at the Verna but was easily able to make-out that petrol Verna is no great shakes in terms of size and power as compared to his previous vehicle the Accent. Not impressed by the Honda City as he shares my opinion that Honda vehicles are over-priced or
we can say that they charge a premium on their brand-name. Corolla was in the reckoning but it lost out because of absence of features such aS ABS with EBD, TCS with BAS and front air bags. Optra was out because both of us were not for GM and it's 1.8 doesn't eke out as much
power as the Elantra and also doesn't even have ABS as an option for it's price.

So the fully-loaded Elantra GLS it was and I did get to drive it on the second day on our way back from dinner. I must say it is a very refined vehicle and the gearshift is really slick. An interesting feature is the clutch-lock which essentially is a feature to prevent children from starting the vehicle. You have to press the clutch and only then the car will
start - strange but I think one will get used to it.

While climbing a fly-over with three other adults I wanted some power and the car was doing 65 kmph in 4th gear. But strangely enough I wasn't supplied with the amount of power I desired. Frankly, I didn't push the car too much as it was brand new. I believe it is meant to be a sedate cruiser and one should not expect immediate power delivery in higher gears. All in all the Elantra is a sensible purchase. The only factors that one needs to consider is the image and the resale value. If you are alright with these two factors, then the Elantra is a great car.
Old 12th October 2006, 23:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
she handles better than anything i have ever driven (this includes the 1.6 ikon
Are u kidding??
Quote:
This month Overdrive's Auto Power 2006 tests results say Elantra is the best handling car in the market.
Ill take it from a team-bhpian.But,Overdrive?? Naaah!
Quote:
I would like to rate one car above Ikon and its Corsa. It is just fantastic to drive. So for me Corsa scores more than Ikon.
Are u sure? Cos islero tells me that his car rocks like a boat while taking fast turns while the Ikon "meditates" at the same speed.
Old 12th October 2006, 23:32   #21
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Ill take it from a team-bhpian.But,Overdrive?? Naaah!
This was not based on OD guys, but on the owners' review towards their car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Are u sure? Cos islero tells me that his car rocks like a boat while taking fast turns while the Ikon "meditates" at the same speed.
All are not same saar, end results do vary. Right.

Last edited by F50 : 12th October 2006 at 23:34.
Old 13th October 2006, 02:00   #22
BHPian

Its definetly a good car overall having the sweetest hyundai engines....wont compare the handling to anything but its def decent enuff fer a hyundai(which r mostly termed as "TOO SOFTLY SPRUNG")...The 127bhp engine aint a firebreather among its class just like the accent 1.6 isnt in its own...but a good highway muncher..can basically term it as a PRACTICAL alternative to the skoda,corolla and civic.
Old 26th October 2006, 20:55   #23

My Elantra is giving me 8.5 in city and 12.5 on highway traffic. The only issue I have is the low seating making it a little difficult to get in and out of the car.

I believe the car is due to upgrade shortly. The new elantra may be very similar to the new Avante that is selling in Korea (http://ad.hyundai-motor.com/catalog/avante/index.html).

I have also driven Optra (Lacetti) for about two years. Between the current Elantra and and Optra, Optra gives you better sitting comfort. My two cents...
Old 28th October 2006, 17:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Optra was out because both of us were not for GM and it's 1.8 doesn't eke out as much power as the Elantra and also doesn't even have ABS as an option for it's price
GMs Optra ekes out 115bhp and still is as fast as a 127bhp Optra to 100?? How come??

The 1.8LT does have a option of ABS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks