Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2017, 18:50   #166
BHPian

re: My Maruti S-Cross 1.6L Alpha : Stage 3 Wolf (~200 HP / 420 NM). EDIT : 5 years & 72,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I am concerned about the life of pads. The powder comes off easily even with slight rubbing. I had not observed this in OEM pads of SX4, Grand I10. Imagine if the black power comes off so easily, what would be the case under hard braking?
I don't think Black powder has anything to do with the performance of pads. It's only because of the material used for the pads that it leaves your hands black. For analogy consider a red brick which will make your hands red because it is built with that kind of material but still it serves the purpose. I know the analogy used is weird so excuse me for that.
Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 19:10   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Maruti S-Cross 1.6L Alpha : Stage 3 Wolf (~200 HP / 420 NM). EDIT : 5 years & 72,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Some brake pads do tend to be more dusty. And as i mentioned the effectiveness wouldn't be affected. As for the life of the pads they might tend to last comparatively less longer and you might face a lot of brake dust in the wheels on a day to day basis. But again from your picture i feel its quite normal to have that amount of dust even in the new pads. But yeah, I am no expert, probably someone with better knowledge can comment on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
I don't think Black powder has anything to do with the performance of pads. It's only because of the material used for the pads that it leaves your hands black. For analogy consider a red brick which will make your hands red because it is built with that kind of material but still it serves the purpose. I know the analogy used is weird so excuse me for that.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was just concerned about the powder easily coming off. I had similar experience with "Bosch brake pads" which I had bought from Snapdeal and had lasted only 5000 KM.

I think I will install the pads and check. If I do not find any improvement over stock, I will go with EBC brake pads. I hope it fits S Cross.
Attached Thumbnails
My Maruti S-Cross 1.6L Alpha | Stage 3 Wolf (202 HP / 438 Nm) | EDIT : Sold - Pg 61-img20170110wa0001.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 11th January 2017 at 19:11.
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 19:52   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am concerned about the life of pads. The powder comes off easily even with slight rubbing. I had not observed this in OEM pads of SX4, Grand I10. Imagine if the black power comes off so easily, what would be the case under hard braking?
Since you already bought it, try it than wasting it. There is no way you are going to benefit a lot from re-selling it.

While you are thinking of the EBC brakes, you might want to check for HAWK performance brake pads as well. I remember someone responding that these were quite effective for Swift or so.

Am sure you may have checked for Brembo pads as well, I have seen someone from Goa in the t-bhp classifieds shipping these for most models.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th January 2017 at 19:53.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 20:11   #169
BHPian

Quote:
I think I will install the pads and check. If I do not find any improvement over stock, I will go with EBC brake pads. I hope it fits S Cross.
You can also take a look at Bendix brake pads, but will need to check if they have them for the S-Cross. I needed better brakes when I modified my Swift and took a chance and got a set of Metal King Titanium's (Semi-Metalic). They along with a set of braided hoses made a huge difference, and if I am not wrong the pads went strong for about 20k with no damage to the original discs. I am currently running on my second set. Price was also a lot cheaper than stock Swift pads.

http://www.bendix.com.my/metal_king.asp
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 21:23   #170
BANNED

Your remap sounds to be a perfect job especially because the low end response has improved. And that is the critical area - Pete's never gets it right and I think thats cheating - if you can't improve low end response you haven't done the remap properly. On a straight private road closed to traffic I have felt uneasy at 140 kmph in the S cross (the stock 1.6) - do you have the same feel?
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 21:30   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Your remap sounds to be a perfect job especially because the low end response has improved. And that is the critical area - Pete's never gets it right and I think thats cheating - if you can't improve low end response you haven't done the remap properly. On a straight private road closed to traffic I have felt uneasy at 140 kmph in the S cross (the stock 1.6) - do you have the same feel?
I don't feel the scross should feel even close to uneasy at the above stated speed. Its a very stable and competent vehicle in that matter.
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 22:08   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Yes, low end has improved. But if you see the difference in gains, Mid range has the most gain ( turbo zone). Even top end has little more punch. Sid did not increase the fuelling more at top end to keep the EGT in check. With better low end, city driving has become really good now.

I do not want to mention the speeds, but I can say that straight line stability is superb. I just wish that the car was more agile on corners, tyre upgrade might help.
Old 11th January 2017, 22:57   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Am sure you may have checked for Brembo pads as well, I have seen someone from Goa in the t-bhp classifieds shipping these for most models.
Yes, I do know and had even contacted them. But, I have heard that most of the Brembo brake pads on sale in India are fake/sub standard quality. Few guys who have purchased from this Goa dealer also adviced me not to go for it. This dealer had sent me pic of brake pad for S-Cross and I was turned down by looking at the quality.
Attached Thumbnails
My Maruti S-Cross 1.6L Alpha | Stage 3 Wolf (202 HP / 438 Nm) | EDIT : Sold - Pg 61-img20161024wa0006.jpg  

Old 11th January 2017, 23:11   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have heard that most of the Brembo brake pads on sale in India are fake/sub standard quality.
Yes, the Made in India brembos are as good or bad as the OEM ones. But I do have a good news for you.

While chatting with this guy about Liqui-Molys, he told me about his future product line-up, and Italy made Brembos were one of them. This was about a month ago, so I am not sure where he is with the plan. May be you should check with him yourself.

Click to open
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 13:53   #175
Senior - BHPian

I second the comments of Dr. Naren though I can't comment on fake parts. I bought Brembo brake pads, front and back and front discs for my Linea T Jet (Rear disc was not available at the time of order). I took it easy according to the instruction manual, that is to allow them to bed in for 200km before best performance is achieved. It is past 300km and they bite nowhere as good as the stock setup which is shocking. In fact, I now realize that the stock brakes on my Linea were far superior. In fact, the worn out set had better stopping power though there was judder present, as they had reached the end of life.

Very disappointed with Brembo stock replacement brakes. I have to live with it now.

FM reignofchaos had a much better experience with OEM Brembo's for his Cedia.

I sourced the Brembo's from the same distributor in Goa.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 14:01   #176
Senior - BHPian

I have been using roulunds brake pads for Linea since last 2 changes.
The Pads are too good but has discharged a lot of brake dust and need to spend a lot of effort to clean the alloys.
Indeed some 500 kms are required to bed in the pads to work optimally.
It has definitely more bite and stopping power than OEM pads and life is also better.
I usually buy pads from Kava.
aks_karthik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 17:55   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I have been using roulunds brake pads for Linea since last 2 changes.
The Pads are too good but has discharged a lot of brake dust and need to spend a lot of effort to clean the alloys.
Indeed some 500 kms are required to bed in the pads to work optimally.
It has definitely more bite and stopping power than OEM pads and life is also better.
I usually buy pads from Kava.
Good to hear that. I should not be worried now after reading your post. It looks like too much brake dust is typical for Roulunds brake pads. Since I am using black coloured alloys, it shouldn't be a problem in terms of looks
Old 12th January 2017, 19:59   #178
BHPian

What's the status of the spoiler doc?
I am excited to see a black spoiler on a white car
Post pics ASAP.
Manan_02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 21:23   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manan_02 View Post
What's the status of the spoiler doc?
I am excited to see a black spoiler on a white car
Post pics ASAP.
My phone camera is not working anymore. It says "unfortunately, the camera has stopped" whenever I open it. I will post the pics of spoiler tomorrow morning.

But for now, have a look at illuminated doors sills which I installed along with spoiler today
Attached Thumbnails
My Maruti S-Cross 1.6L Alpha | Stage 3 Wolf (202 HP / 438 Nm) | EDIT : Sold - Pg 61-img20170112wa0047.jpg  

My Maruti S-Cross 1.6L Alpha | Stage 3 Wolf (202 HP / 438 Nm) | EDIT : Sold - Pg 61-img20170112wa0048.jpg  

Old 13th January 2017, 09:54   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Love this Pic with black spoiler
My Maruti S-Cross 1.6L Alpha | Stage 3 Wolf (202 HP / 438 Nm) | EDIT : Sold - Pg 61-img20170113wa0004.jpg

More pics here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4126765
Dr.Naren is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed