Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2016, 19:04   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H

Dear Friends,

I took delivery on my new Honda Jazz on 19-May-2016.

Colour: Orchid White ( Metallic)
Variant: VX ( top most variant )
Fuel type: Petrol (I can consider myself an petrol head as of now)

Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-image8.jpg

Please apologize in case this is a long thread. The points mentioned here are purely based on my observations / perception and not intended to any particular individual ownership thread or to degrade any other car model.
I would also narrate my decision making experience.

Let me Introduce myself:

About Me:
I was born and brought up in Chennai and driving was my passion / hobby. With Great difficulty managed a bachelors degree (Very lucky) and an decent job in an IT industry in Bangalore.( hopefully it lasts)

My Previous ride:
  1. Apache RTR 160 ( 2008-2014 ). Had to sell her, after an shoulder surgery due to a near fatal accident. I have recovered from that accident but cannot forget the time i spent with her. She was an awesome Beast.
  2. Hyundai I10 Magna 1.2 ( 2010-2016 ) ( First car in my life. Thanks to the accident. Absolutely no-nonsense car.)I had a wonderful ownership experience for around 6 years and touch wood never gave any niggles or issues as such. Clocked around 72000 Kms before i sold her.
  3. Honda Jazz ( 2016-Let time decide)
Why do i need a new car:
There was no reason. Simply if i have to say ( Thimiru in Tamil ).People can help in translation. Gave a different reasons to my wife like more space & safety etc. Hopefully she does not read this thread.

Important person in decision Making: My Better Half ( Wife- Home Minister)

Approval of the Home ministry:
I had promised my wife that i will not change my car for the next 6 years when i took delivery of my First Car back in May 2010. I really kept the promise.As i knew the promise time is about to end and also have clocked close to 72000 kms the change of car bug bit me. My wife too agreed. Obvious she has no other choice. I started to hunt for an upgrade. Decided to focus on safety aspect more this time.

My Usage Pattern: 36 Kms per day / 1000 Kms an month. Drive to Chennai once in 3-4 months.
With the current Price difference between petrol and diesel & my usage pattern , did not really feel the urge to go for an Diesel car.

My Budget: 8-9 Lacs

Requirement:
  1. Airbags.
  2. ABS.
  3. Automatic Climate Control.
  4. Good Boot space.
  5. A little more spacious car than my earlier I10. To accommodate my kid & her extra luggage.
Cars Considered for upgrade were (not much were in my list):
  1. Hyundai i20 Elite
  2. Maruti Suzuki Baleno
  3. Honda Jazz
Cars that were in my list but dropped:
  1. Ford Ecosport- Felt that the 1.5 litre petrol was not that fuel efficient & might not fit my wallet.
  2. Ford Figo- Not As heavily built as that of the previous generation Figo.
  3. Ertiga- Did not feel the need to go for a 7 seater at this moment.
Let's Come back to the cars that were shortlisted:
Hyundai I20 Elite:
I would really say this car is easily one of the best cars from the Hyundai Stable. There was really nothing bad to say about this car.Called up Hyundai showroom and asked for a test drive for a Petrol car. The test drive car came within 3 hours and my first experience:
  1. Car was stinking
  2. Dirty inside
My Driving Experience:
  1. Car was a little sluggish. Did feel this as i drove an I10.
  2. Car was feature rich and interiors were put together neat and can put a car one class above to shame.
  3. Butter smooth steering. Was a breeze to drive in the city.
Thanks to Advaith Hyundai in Bangalore my wife did not appreciate the test drive. Morover the test drive vehicle that they bought was a diesel car when asked for a petrol test drive vehicle. This did not impress my wife. I know it is not a car to be hated. Morover even i did not insist on convincing my wife on this more as i was not interested to go for an Hyundai car again. ( For your information My Dad Owned an Hyundai santro ). Wanted to try some other manufacturer.

Honda Jazz:

Called up Dakshin Honda and asked for a test drive. The sales team there told that they will not be able to send the test drive vehicle and asked us to visit the showroom.We visited the showroom on a Saturday afternoon.

My Driving Experience:
  1. Car was really spacious. Lot of storage spaces and cabin space.
  2. Sluggish on the acceleration.
  3. Soft suspension tune up.
This Car felt a little over priced and got a quote of 8.49 lacs ( Fitted our budget ) for a V variant MT and we left the showroom to decide after checking out the baleno. ( My heart was with Jazz. i was a great fan of the old Jazz back in 2010 )

Maruti Suzuki Baleno
The next week i took my wife to the Nexa showroom for a test drive of Baleno. There was not much crowd and the test drive vehicle was arranged immediately and i should say i was impressed with the Alpha variant ( especially with the day time running lights and projector head lamp) and especially my wife fell in love with this car. ( She liked this car still more because we had to wait for 8 months for delivery. We can arrange the finance by that time.). There car is feature rich & really a crowd puller.

My Driving Experience:
  1. Car was very light and did well in the lower gears.Still it lacks the fun of its sibling Swift.
  2. Very light steering.
  3. Mature suspension set-up. Nobody understands Indian roads better than Maruti.
Me and my wife decided to go for the Alpha version and the On road price in Bangalore came to 9 Lacs. Booking was done on April 6th 2016 and 11000 rupees was handed over to the dealer and my wait started.

How Did i get Jazzed:

I had the patience to wait for only 20 days and each day felt like an year to me. I started getting restless on the waiting time and my wife sensed it.

One fine day, Our Discussion Went like this:
Me: I think now days i see a lot of Baleno on the road.
Wife: So what. Does it Matter.
Me: Our car should at least stand out of the crowd.
Wife: (Never gave a bother to my statement)
Me:( I thought i need better Planning.... Second try)By the time we take delivery of Baleno, our car will still get older and the resale value will drop. I have do one more service and pay the insurance. This will easily come to 15000 ( Assuming 10000 for 70,000 kms service and 5000 for insurance) together. Also after 8 months we will get around 30000 less for our vehicle.
Wife: Hmm....( She started to think.....)
Me: ( I could taste victory here)
Wife:So what can we do?
Me: Can we go for Some other car?
Wife: I hate that i20 elite.Please dont tell me that you want that.
Me: Then what else is there ( with a sad face )
Wife: We can go for Jazz if you like it...
Me: Yes....( That's what i wanted...)Can we go the Honda Showroom again.
Wife: yes.

Decided that i will go for the VX variant and was ready to stretch the extra amount for the top variant.

Immediately went to Dakshin Honda and got a quote for Jazz VX MT. The on road price came to 9.25L.

Decided to explore other dealers and read in several forum that Magnum Honda ( also it was near to my house ) was better and called up the sales advisor over there. ( All these happened on a Saturday )

He came to my house in the next 30 min with a test drive vehicle and the on road price came to 9.23 L.

The deal was finalized and decided to go for it and booked a sunset orange VX model. I decided to sell my car outside the dealership and gave him a booking amount of 51,000. the deal was closed.

When the VIN number of the allotted car was checked, it read as an Jan Manufactured Vehicle. This was a concern for me and i checked if they have any April model.
The sales advisor gave me a April Manufactured orchid white from his stock yard. Readily accepted it as white was also equally considered when we booked the car.

I completed all the other formalities on the loan front.

Parted of my old car on 15th May.Hope to see her again once again on the roads.

Finance details.
  1. On-Road Price- 9.23 Lacs ( Please apologize as i dont have the split right now)
Opted for:
  1. Bumper to bumper insurance.
  2. Extended warrant for third and fourth year.
Did not opt for the below items:
  1. Honda connect device.This was costing some 6500 rupees. Did not feel the need for the same.
  2. Road side assistance:
Freebies:
  1. Essential car kit- ( Idol, Car mats, etc)
  2. Illuminated Scuff plates
  3. Reverse parking sensor. I decided not to go for this and refused it in the last moment.

Ownership experience of Jazz:

I have driven around 400 Kms when i pen down these points.

Good:
  1. Very refined Petrol engine.
  2. Acres of space inside.
  3. Loved the utility of Magic seats.
  4. Liked the driving ergonomics. The ride and handling is definitely better than I20.
  5. Touch AC controls looks premium.
  6. Fuel efficiency for 2 different trips can be computed.
  7. All Black interiors add to the looks. Should be easy to maintain.
Need improvement:
  1. Lethargic low end response. ( i might have felt this after driving an I10 for 6 years. Will sure get used to it )
  2. No Auto Lock. ( This is ridiculous. )
  3. No start stop button. Even an Grand I10 has it. ( was not a deal breaker )
  4. AC takes more time to cool. ( can manage in Bangalore )
Let's go in detail:

Exterior Styling: The new Jazz looks cooler and sportier that the old Jazz. The side profile looks good and the crease near the door handles add to the character. Very neat touch. Volvo Type rear tail lamp ( though its a dummy ) adds to the looks. The panel gaps look consistent and the paint quality was good.
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-image1.jpg
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-image2.jpg
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-image3.jpg
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-image4.jpg
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_001.jpg
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_002.jpg
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_003.jpg
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_004.jpg

Tyres:
My car came with MRF Z VTV tyres. The ride and handling is good and even the road noise was not there at high speeds. As of now do not have any plan to change the shoes. I personally liked the alloy wheel design and it is very easy to clean.

Interior Design:

After a tough time in Maintaining the all Beige interiors of my i10, the all black interiors was an welcome change. Yes, the interiors are not as good as the elite i20 , but trust me they are not that bad to be commented on. Honda has really worked on some neat touches on the interior front.

Like:
  1. Enough Storage space in the console area. i10 really lacked here.
  2. The cup holder near the Driver AC vent really looks cool. Ergonomically neat.
  3. The door pads can accommodate 1L bottle easily
  4. The instrument cluster with inbuilt Combimeter looks awesome.
  5. The Outside rear view mirrors are adequate.
Dislike:
  1. Fat C pillars eat up your rear view visibility. But the reversing camera adds to the missing visibility.
  2. Plastics are little prone to scratches,.
Seating Comfort:
The seating comfort is really good than my earlier car. I am heavily built and felt that the seat are very comfortable. The fabric quality is top notch and felt that the thigh support is good too. The Magic seats throw in a lot of flexibility and practicality.I will recommend this for people who will travel with a lot of luggage. Also the seats are more comfortable that the V variant without the magic seats. The head room and leg room is class leading. Even though Baleno looks to have more leg room it lacks on the thigh support. My wife really liked the rear seat comfort. The rear seats have adjustable Headrest for VX variant. This obstructs the rear visibility though a little bit.

Driving position and ergonomics:
The height adjuster does great wonders and it is easy to find the right driving position. i can comment on this after i take her for a long spin. As of now no concern about the seating position.

Touch control Automatic climate control.
The Auto air conditioner does its job & does not let you down. I have not tested it in the Chennai summer but really does the job in Bangalore weather. Please note that Jazz has a lot of glass area and it takes a while to cool though. The touch feature looks premium. Need to take eyes off the road in case some adjustments need to be done. This is not a deal breaker. Will get used to it.
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_010.jpg

AVN music system:
As other have commented on this in their ownership threads, it takes some time to load.
  1. The Navigation is pretty Basic and i prefered google maps in my phone than the in-built navigation. Honda Hope you are listening.
  2. The sound quality is very much to my taste. People who like bass more will appreciate it. The theatre sound effect is mind blowing.
  3. The Bluetooth pairing is good and also the call quality is very good.My I-Phone pairs well and Bluetooth audio play back is also good.
  4. The touch needs some time to get used.
  5. The warning message that comes every time you switch off and on the car is little annoying.
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-image7.jpg
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_009.jpg

Boot space:
Easily the largest boot in the Hatch back segment.
  1. The loading lip is very low and can easily load a big suitcase.
  2. The reclining rear seat does not eat much of the boot space.
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_008.jpg

Ride and Handling:
The ride and handling is definitely better than the my earlier I10. Definitely not as good as a Punto or a Polo. The suspension soaks all the bumps and there is not thud that filters into the cabin. People who prefer softer suspension will appreciate it. i felt that the ride was better than the hyundai i20.

Honda could have provided a wider tyres. However it might have affected the fuel efficency.

NVH levels.:
Nobody can understand Petrol engines more than Honda. The engine is really refined and can hardly sense any vibration or sort. Also the road noise does not sneak into the cabin. Great Job by Honda.

Clutch & gear box:
The clutch is very light and the gearshift is notchy. It is not as good as i10 ( For sure can bet that it has one of the best gearshift). Hope that it will improve once i munch some more miles.

Ground Clearance:
The ground clearance is 165 mm and till not have not scraped any speed breakers.

Braking characteristics:
VX variant is equipped with ABS and EBD. The brakes does their job though i felt it a little spongy. The handbrakes does their job without any issues.

Headlights:

The head light is adequate for the city driving and is insufficient for the highways. This does not bother me as i do not venture out on the highways much during the night times. Honda warranty is void in case headlights are upgraded.

Driveability & Engine Performance
This is talked about in a lot of Forums. After enjoying the peppy nature of My i10, This car really begs for a better engine capacity. Nevertheless to say it is not as bad that it cannot be drivable. If people are happy with the Hyundai i20 petrol engine, for sure they will be happy with this engine too. The low end is a little lethargic and picks up once rev reaches 2000 RPM.

This engine is not for car enthusiasts and does not like to be floored. One can trot around in the city condition without much difficulty.

In City Conditions:
I felt that it takes some effort to move the car from stand still in the first gear.The gears need to be worked accordingly in case you want to move quickly. In steep ramps / steep roads stop start is difficult. Be prepared for some irritating honks from the rear vehicle when starting from signals.

In a steady moving traffic the tall gear ratios will make you feel like an automatic.Once can maintain speeds of 40 in 5th gear without engine knocking. This was not possible in my i10.

In a nutshell this car offers good driveability which compensates the extra effort that need to be invested in initial acceleration.

In Highway:
This engine is not a fast accelerator. It takes time to gain momentum. Once the car gains momentum and the rev goes beyond 2000 RPM, the car shows a different character.This is a rev friendly engine. The engine comes to roar only after 2000 RPM. At 100 the car feels planted and one cannot judge the speed unless he looks at the speedometer. Also there is very minimal body roll. At constant speed of 80 kmph one can easily extract 20 km/litre. ( refer to my image on the fuel efficiency section )

The most important:
Kithna Dethi Hai: I travel from Bannerghatta road to Bagmane tech Park. The route is through the most congested roads and full of bumper to bumper traffic.People in Bangalore will know better about this route.

City Mileage: The Average mileage was showing around 13 km /litre. Did a full tank to full tank and the results were pretty accurate to the MID readings.
During the delivery
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-image10.jpg
Current reading.
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_011.jpg

Highway Mileage:
To check her efficiency on the highway, i took here for a short drive on the highway. Was pretty much delighted with the number she returned. Drove with a light foot
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-image9.jpg

Now time for some images to do the talking.

The instrument panel is a straight lift from Honda City:
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_005.jpg
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-image5.jpg
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-image6.jpg

My kids companion in the car:
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_007.jpg

Instrument cluster: With details: easy to read
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160529_011.jpg
Views:	1430
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	1511581

Rear visibility:
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_012.jpg

Acres of Space for mobile and purse:
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_013.jpg

My wife's gift: very impressed.
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_015.jpg

The warning message:Little annoying.
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_016.jpg

Dual cabin lights in the front:
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_017.jpg

The grab handle with a soft dampening action:
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_018.jpg

IRVM- No Auto dimming feature:
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_019.jpg

Reverse camera: impressive.
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_022.jpg

Class leading leg space:
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_006.jpg

The very much required blessing of Almighty:
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-wp_20160529_021.jpg

Initial Niggles Noted:
None of the issues are a deal breaker.
  1. There is slight accelerator pedal vibration noted on uneven roads. Anyway will get that checked during the first service. There is no steering pull to either left or right though.
  2. There is a slight whizzing sound ( like air trying to enter the cabin from outside) when driving at high speed. i checked all the windows were closed and this is from the passenger side A-pillar glass area.Anyway will get that checked during the first service.
  3. Black dust accumulating on the front alloys. I knew this is normal but anyway check during the first service. Have seen in a lot of cars especially in Figo & old I20.
  4. Notchy gear box not in the league of Hyundai.
Overall i am satisfied and happy. Will go for the first service shortly and will post the update soon.

looking forward for your comments and suggestions.

Last edited by Vivek-Bharathy : 29th May 2016 at 21:44. Reason: Adding more pictures and updating the required information.
Vivek-Bharathy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 11:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 19:13   #3
BHPian

Congratulations on your new acquisition. I bought Jazz VX i-vtec just 2 months back and I can vouch for every word said on this ownership review. Absolutely spot on observations about lack of power at low rpm, notchy gearbox, a bit spongy brakes (though they are good in terms of bite and progress). Also missing equipment like start-stop button, parking sensors, auto dimming IRVM, front armrest at this price range hurts a bit especially when some one points them out. But where this car gains over its competition is space, space and space. The moment when people step into its cabin and are awestruck by it spacious cabin, you are content about your decision. It is a car which blends tall boy and roomy cabin practicality into one without looking one bit quirky. The efficiency this engine puts out during sedate driving is cheery on cake. I personally feel that 1.5 i-vtec will make it a complete package.

Its a looker head on, baby civic and as you rightly mentioned baleno and i20 have started becoming a common sight on roads. We have that exclusivity with Jazz.

One observation from my experience so far, I felt a bit of pain in my legs during frequent ABC operations. Also that, ABC pedals are placed a bit higher than floor and not on same plane either makes matter worse for me. Do you experience the same or is it just me?

Enjoy your ride for miles ahead.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th June 2016 at 23:33. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Thanks.
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 20:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Congratulations on your new acquisition. I bought Jazz VX i-vtec just 2 months back and I can vouch for every word said on this ownership review. Absolutely spot on observations about lack of power at low rpm, notchy gearbox, a bit spongy brakes (though they are good in terms of bite and progress). Also missing equipment like start-stop button, parking sensors, auto dimming IRVM, front armrest at this price range hurts a bit especially when some one points them out. But where this car gains over its competition is space, space and space. The moment when people step into its cabin and are awestruck by it spacious cabin, you are content about your decision. It is a car which blends tall boy and roomy cabin practicality into one without looking one bit quirky. The efficiency this engine puts out during sedate driving is cheery on cake. I personally feel that 1.5 i-vtec will make it a complete package.

Its a looker head on, baby civic and as you rightly mentioned baleno and i20 have started becoming a common sight on roads. We have that exclusivity with Jazz.

One observation from my experience so far, I felt a bit of pain in my legs during frequent ABC operations. Also that, ABC pedals are placed a bit higher than floor and not on same plane either makes matter worse for me. Do you experience the same or is it just me?

Enjoy your ride for miles ahead.
Thanks Varun,
Totally agree.
Yes i do feel the same about this car. This car compensates its loss in some other department like refinement & space. I did not mention features like start-stop button, parking sensors ( it was offered free but did not opt for it ), front armrest as these were not of much importance to me.

Yes i do feel that there is some exclusivity on the road , but after i purchased my jazz i see a lot of them on road that too especially the orange ones. Not sure if the sales have picked up.

I did feel the pain and with some iterations on the height adjustment front i was able to get me seating position right. As i have mentioned i have not taken her for a long spin and will confirm you after the ride on the seating comfort.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th June 2016 at 23:33. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 30th May 2016, 21:42   #5
BHPian

Today had a nice drive back home from office in heavy rain. The large frontal glass and the big sweeping wiper blades in action are intimidatingly scary.

Had to do an emergency braking due to poor visibility at around 80 kph & Jazz really kept it composure in panic situation. Could feel the pulsation below the brake pedal. Hope this is the ABS kicking in.
Old 31st May 2016, 10:50   #6
BHPian

Vivek-bharathy, Awesome writeup and pics. . Wish you have many happy miles with Jazz
Old 11th June 2016, 20:54   #7
BHPian

Hello friends,

My car has completed around 960 kms and is due for the first service. after driving for ~1000 kms, feels like the pick up is improved and the car now pushes forward eagerly.

I am planning to report the following issue to the service center.
  1. Shuddering of the clutch on starting from slopes & reverse gear.
  2. Wrongly fitted panel near the front pillar glass window. Looks like he had not fitted it properly after fiting the scuff plates.
Regarding the shuddering of the clutch, is it common in all the Jazz. need your help jazz owners.
Other than these mentioned points i am totally enjoying the car.
Please suggest me a good service station. i got the car from Magnum Honda in Kanakpura road and planning to get the first service at the same place.
Old 11th June 2016, 22:17   #8
BHPian

congrats on your new Jazz. Very well written initial ownership report. If you dont mind, can you tell for how much did the i10 go?
Old 12th June 2016, 11:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubshar View Post
congrats on your new Jazz. Very well written initial ownership report. If you dont mind, can you tell for how much did the i10 go?
I traded off my car at 2.5 L. it was close to 73000 kms done. in the seventh year of ownership.
Vivek-Bharathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 13:09   #10
BHPian

2000 is too low rpm to get the car moving, 3000 is ideal for L series vtec.

Gear 2-3-4-5 can be shifted at 3000, the engine happily accepts it.

2000 should be when you want to stay in ECO mode

(For Honda, 3000 feels like 2000 in Hyundai or Suzuki )

The car may lack some features or power - but it will give you less headache and will spend less time in the workshop for years to come - that is assured!!

Regarding shuddering, there are multiple factors
1) its not the clutch that is shuddering, its the entire transmission housing along the engine mount that vibrates (due to lugging). That vibration gets transferred inside the cabin through gear cables.
2) this is not a defect, this is normal - the transmission mount is made of softer rubber and is designed to absorb vibrations
3) solution 1 - this will resolve 100%, but i cant discuss in public forum, if i come to BLR i will fix it for you personally.
4) solution 2 is to rev it slightly when pulling uphill, there is no other choice. Lugging will cause vibration, shift to 2nd only when you have gained momentum.
5) your clutch will bed in after few more months of driving, be gentle no need to burn the clutch

Last edited by aerohit : 12th June 2016 at 13:36.
Old 12th June 2016, 13:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new car The Jazz is a very practical ride does your come with the magic seats?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek-Bharathy View Post
Cars that were in my list but dropped:
  1. Ford Figo- Not As heavily built as that of the previous generation Figo.
Seriously? The Figo was dropped because of that reason alone? While it is true that the car is not as sturdily built as the last one, it is still built more solidly than the i20/Baleno/Jazz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek-Bharathy View Post
  1. Shuddering of the clutch on starting from slopes & reverse gear.
Regarding the shuddering of the clutch, is it common in all the Jazz. need your help jazz owners.
The 1.2 Vtec need a bit of coaxing if you want to get going from a standstill on slopes Use the handbrake for starting on slopes.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 11:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
2000 is too low rpm to get the car moving, 3000 is ideal for L series vtec.

Gear 2-3-4-5 can be shifted at 3000, the engine happily accepts it.

2000 should be when you want to stay in ECO mode

(For Honda, 3000 feels like 2000 in Hyundai or Suzuki )

The car may lack some features or power - but it will give you less headache and will spend less time in the workshop for years to come - that is assured!!

Regarding shuddering, there are multiple factors
1) its not the clutch that is shuddering, its the entire transmission housing along the engine mount that vibrates (due to lugging). That vibration gets transferred inside the cabin through gear cables.
2) this is not a defect, this is normal - the transmission mount is made of softer rubber and is designed to absorb vibrations
3) solution 1 - this will resolve 100%, but i cant discuss in public forum, if i come to BLR i will fix it for you personally.
4) solution 2 is to rev it slightly when pulling uphill, there is no other choice. Lugging will cause vibration, shift to 2nd only when you have gained momentum.
5) your clutch will bed in after few more months of driving, be gentle no need to burn the clutch
Thanks a lot for your advice.
Yes i come from around 75000 kms of driving of an I10 and the clutch set up there was completely different and a slight release of the cluch will set the vehicle in motion and then i use the accelerator only.
But the same is different for Ivtec engines and now i am used to give a small accelerator before i release the clutch.

I have seen that the engine RPM is more in Jazz compared to i10 for the same speed. For example 100 km/hr comes at ~2800 RPM in i10 and the same is at ~3300 RPM in jazz.
Old 13th June 2016, 18:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Congratulations on your new car The Jazz is a very practical ride does your come with the magic seats?

Seriously? The Figo was dropped because of that reason alone? While it is true that the car is not as sturdily built as the last one, it is still built more solidly than the i20/Baleno/Jazz.

The 1.2 Vtec need a bit of coaxing if you want to get going from a standstill on slopes Use the handbrake for starting on slopes.
Thanks a lot. Yes the car comes with the magic seat.

I dropped the Figo because the door gauge is not the same as that of the old generations and I could see that in couple of Figo the door pads snap out when the power window is rolled up to the top. No offence to the existing owners. The service advisor told that it was normal. Also felt that the boot space was less than the old generation one.
Old 29th August 2016, 17:24   #14
BHPian

Dear friends,

My car has completed 5000 kms and i am totally in love with the car.

Will be heading for the service next week.

Good:
  • The gear shifts have become smooth and the notchy behaviour has dissapeared.
  • No rattling so far from the car.
  • Highway average is around 17-18 & city hovers around 13.
  • Using of shell power fuel adds to the extra horses i believe.Even the second gear acceleration has improved.

Some casual shots while cleaning up my beauty along with my daughter.
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-img_1596.jpg
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-img_1597.jpg
Hyundai i10 to Honda Jazz - From Italics H to Normal H-img_1598.jpg
Vivek-Bharathy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 15:42   #15
BHPian

Congrats on buying the Honda Jazz. As an owner of Honda products for over a decade, one thing is guaranteed with any Honda you buy. Reliability. I had India's first lot of Honda Unicorns, trust me even after 8 years, the bike used to start in first kick. I have been using the Honda City from last 4.5 years, closer to 60000 kms, I changed the stock tires and the stock battery at 57000 kms. With major services every 20,000 kms, that is at an interval of once in two years, the max service bill I have seen inclusive of labor charges is INR 9500/- and an overall combined average of 16 kmpl in an AT box. What more can you ask from a 1.5 ltr engine, which churns out 120 hp and mated to a 5 speed torque converter gearbox. Last year I picked up the CBR, I hardly drive it once in 15 days. But every-time I crank the engine, the smile that it brings on my face, is lovely. And she cranks without any drama.

Congratulations once again, and wish you safe miles.
sawnilrules is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks