Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2016, 15:23   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Attachment 1569398

HI. Thanks for the information.
See the attached image. This is a snapshot of the CROSS CONTACT AT sold in india earlier, that I have used 2 years ago. It came with the ribs you see on the sidewall. This gave it additional resistance to sidewall cuts when going through ruts.
Hi Jay

I am not sure if this rib design was there earlier as per your image. Please see below...

1. Karan561's Cross Contact AT tire pattern from 2013 link
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-3.jpg

2. My tire's pattern in 2016
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3580.jpg

As you can see both 2013 and 2016 tire designs in this case are absolutely same.

Quote:
These ribs are now missing from the current tires sold. It might seem insignificant on road, but it does make a difference Offroad.
The tread depth has also reduced from 11mm to 9mm.
Honestly, I have no idea on all this.

Quote:
How much did the tire cost you? The dealer in mumbai quoted 12k each.
Same here... mine costed me 12k per piece.
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:36   #107
Senior - BHPian

re: My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!

Service Update: 160,000 kms

Got my car serviced just before Diwali. 160k service was supposed to be a major one, including all differential and transmission oil change on top of regular service. Another thing which I was willing to look into was rubber bushes in suspension that were gone bad and were making squeaky sounds. Also, I had been observing some rust patches in the underbody of the car. Nothing surprising, considering the car is 7 years old now and 3M anti-rust treatment done in 2009 was in very condition by now. So I asked Toyota to give the car a fresh coat of 3M treatment this time (comes with 5 years warranty, as usual). As we all know Atlantis runs on aftermarket suspension, Toyota were not able to replace the suspension parts and kept insisting on full suspension overhaul. Just out of curiosity, I asked them the cost as per their valuation, they came up with a quote of 1.4L despite a few refusals of replacement from my end. Why such high quote, you ask? No child part replacement... they would like to replace full upper and lower suspension arms for a rubber bush gone bad! Thanks but no thanks, I said and decided this work to get done outside of Toyota ASC. Rest of all work was done by Toyota only. Total cost at the end of the day = ~15k including ~5k for 3M treatment. Reasonable IMO.

A few pics from servicing day.

Started with a thorough wash... I am not kidding, this wash lasted 70 minutes since they could not get all dirt out all this while and I kept showing where all the dirt was! haha.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3581.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3582.jpg

A general look at underbody. As you can see, all that off-roading and overlanding has left a few scars on underbody. The fact is, most bolts in Atlantis were jammed badly. A good dose of WD40 required to loosen them up.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3589.jpg

Rear Diff Oil changed. Oil looked healthy going by color and texture... still got all oils replaced as per schedule.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3596.jpg

Brake Pads opened up and cleaned thoroughly.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3597.jpg

One of the rubber bushes in lower part of shock absorber is visibly cut in the pic below. All rubber bushes have been replaced with brand new kit, at my FNG.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3605.jpg

Prop Shaft Greased Properly.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3609.jpg

Center Diff Oil changed as well.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3612.jpg

A Fresh coat of 3M Anti-Rust Treatment.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3622.jpg

Final Servicing Bill...
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3736.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3737.jpg

Once the service was complete, my Toyota looked handsome as usual!
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3628.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3630.jpg

Since the service consumed a couple of hours and I was at Toyota for a while, got to test drive both the LC Prado and LC 200 during this service. As a current owner of a Fortuner, I was left totally unimpressed by both. I am not joking, I fail to see any value in both these Land Cruisers in India. Prado at 93+ ex Delhi and LC200 at 1.35+ Cr ex Delhi, Toyota is crazy to offer these cars at such eye watering prices. Both test drives cars were old, no doubt but I fail to see what do these cars offer on top of Fortuner at such high price! No Diff Locks in the vehicle I test drove, No crawl mode, no air suspension... worst Prado has same 3.0 D-4D unit as my Fortuner. LC200's V8 left me wanting more too! Sure some of the things I am complaining about were added in later models, but at what cost! I am sorry to say, but current Ford Endeavour has more to offer than these big Toyotas in today's world IMHO. I was thinking to put myself in one of these LCs in later years, however after these test drives, I am a changed man! No LCs for me. Thanks but no thanks!
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3617.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3624.jpg

A few more random pics below about Toyota's used grades of engine, transmission and diff oils... Just in case someone is looking for this info.

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3601.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3603.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3614.jpg

A check-list I managed to capture that is being followed by Toyota to service Fortuner.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_3588.jpg

I got all the rubber bushes changed at my FNG. My apologies for not taking any pics that day (dead phone battery!). Lots of aftermarket suppliers push for Innova bush kits, however you need to insist for Fortuner specific kit only. The one I bought was imported from Thailand by a company called RBI, this kit was specific for Thai Toyota Vigo and is exact replacement of OEM Fortuner rubber bushes. Costed me 3.3k for the kit and INR 800 in fitting the bushes. Since I was getting the suspension work done, also decided to replace the ball joints as well since there was some play being reported by Toyota as well as my FNG. All in all, except for shocks and tie end rods, all wear-n-tear items in front suspension replaced. Total cost of replacement was ~15k. Still very reasonable IMO.

However, there was one issue with camber bolts. 2 of the bolts were so badly stuck that these could not be opened up (7 years of grueling off-roading, you see). They had to be cut out and replaced. I realized it later that one of the camber bolts in the car was not OEM Fortuner, but for Innova. Need to get this mistake corrected. May be today or tomorrow.

Rest all is well with the car... Atlantis purring along.
Ace F355 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 22:11   #108
BHPian

Nice Ace, congratulations for getting Atlantis, though I know the story has gone a bit old. I can see you using the Atlantis to its max and what it is meant to be used, good brother, I loved your pics and videos. Some of them are amazing, thanks for sharing it with us.
Shivanshu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 10:43   #109
BHPian

15k for so many changes in the fortuner is mighty impressive. Our i20 had a major service done at 30k and costed us around 12k. For a car double its size, 3k additional is just peanuts.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 13:41   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
15k for so many changes in the fortuner is mighty impressive
That's why Fortuner holds its value so much I have heard prices of LC & LC Prado are equally competitive.

Quote:
Toyota were not able to replace the suspension parts and kept insisting on full suspension overhaul. Just out of curiosity, I asked them the cost as per their valuation, they came up with a quote of 1.4L
Do try to find same parts from Innova lineup next time, I understand many suspension parts are common but coded differently for Innova & Fortuner and surprisingly many parts of Fortuner are far expensive than Innova despite these are similar. I must tell that this is a hearsay and I have not experienced this personally but the guy sounded right.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 18:15   #111
BHPian

Hey how much did Toyota quote for the Ball joints?

Also it is a bit of a turn off that we need to replace the entire lower arm just because the bush is not sold separately. I paid 14,000/-for both the front lower Arms of my Innova.
Didn't want to take chances by putting anything other than the OEM parts. Do let me know how the bush fares.
Old 17th November 2016, 22:25   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Nice Ace, congratulations for getting Atlantis, though I know the story has gone a bit old. I can see you using the Atlantis to its max and what it is meant to be used, good brother, I loved your pics and videos. Some of them are amazing, thanks for sharing it with us.
Thanks Shiv! Glad to have you here in my thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
15k for so many changes in the fortuner is mighty impressive. Our i20 had a major service done at 30k and costed us around 12k. For a car double its size, 3k additional is just peanuts.
And do not forget that that 15k bill has almost 5k just for 3M anti-rust treatment!

Certainly gives out an impression that maintenance of a Hyundai isn't that budget friendly afterall. My car is out of warranty and this gives me flexibility to make choice between what I want to get done at Toyota delaership and at my FNG. I usually pick and choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That's why Fortuner holds its value so much I have heard prices of LC & LC Prado are equally competitive.
Agree!

Quote:
Do try to find same parts from Innova lineup next time, I understand many suspension parts are common but coded differently for Innova & Fortuner and surprisingly many parts of Fortuner are far expensive than Innova despite these are similar. I must tell that this is a hearsay and I have not experienced this personally but the guy sounded right.
I agree with you about many parts being common between Innova and Fortuner, Turbanator! Only difference is that the end usage of both vehicles is very different. Therefore I think there must be some difference even in the tolerance limits for critical suspension parts and their wear and tear rate of both cars. But then again, even I am speculating on this.

I give you an example, you remember I mentioned about camber bolts in my post above. When I got the rubber bushes changed with my trusted mechanic, I took it a bit casually that replacing the bolts in aftermarket should be a cakewalk. After all we are talking about a simple part like bolt and nut, that too for a car like Fortuner that has been on sale in truckloads. Oh only I know how wrong was I! You know finding the right bolts turned out to be a nightmare. We got the bolts 3 different times, each time with supposedly better quality (first time it costed me INR 300/piece, subsequently INR 500 and 600 per piece) and the nut slipped on the bolt each time with a bare minimal of off-roading and their threads went bald within usage of 2-3 days! I simply can't believe it that we keep harping about initiatives like 'Make in India' while we are unable to manufacture the simple things like nut and bolts with their quality at par with their international counterparts. Turned out that bolts were similar in size and shape but not in their material/alloy composition. In the end, had to procure the bolts (imported from Japan) from Toyota only and each set (of bolt/nut/washer) costed me INR ~1500. Still not a bad price if you ask me after burning my fingers in sub-standard parts in aftermarket, and I learnt my lesson real hard way considering I had to get alignment done each time bolt slipped!

My point is, its not about localisation or import of spare parts, I am sure Toyota must be maintaining the required quality of spares consistent. However, IMO Toyota must be wise enough to differentiate in spare parts of various vehicles since they know it better than us, so even though parts look same there must be some difference since they go in different vehicles. Different part number, may be because of this! Who knows!!! I have asked Toyota to get me all such bolts and I will get them replaced in my next service.

Anyway, let me check in Toyota's spare department next time and have a quick insight into this subject, will revert on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey how much did Toyota quote for the Ball joints?
Hi dean, sorry I didn't ask Toyota for each spare part price, but their quote included these. Also, from aftermarket, I got TRW ball joints (made in Germany) since I have had very good experience with TRW suspension parts in my previous cars (just a word of advise, please be careful with counterfeit TRW parts, plenty of these in market).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Also it is a bit of a turn off that we need to replace the entire lower arm just because the bush is not sold separately. I paid 14,000/-for both the front lower Arms of my Innova.
Didn't want to take chances by putting anything other than the OEM parts. Do let me know how the bush fares.
Sure will keep updating how these bushes fair in my daily usage. That's the idea of this thread anyway, I am not here to shower praise all the time, remaining fair and honest in my updates is more important.

I am open to aftermarket parts if the quality is at par/better than OEM, otherwise OEM replacements of parts is the way to go for me as well. But yeah, no option of child part replacement at Toyota isn't cool, seriously.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th November 2016 at 05:33. Reason: Replaced member's name with handle (Turbanator)
Ace F355 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 23:10   #113
BHPian

Hi Ace, how is your car holding up now??
Heard that the rear of the Fortuner tends to get out of line on off road tracks, told by some of the experts at desert storm.
Is it true, how many Kms is the car now and any unscheduled maintenance that has come up?
Old 6th June 2017, 22:39   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Hi Ace, how is your car holding up now??
Heard that the rear of the Fortuner tends to get out of line on off road tracks, told by some of the experts at desert storm.
Is it true, how many Kms is the car now and any unscheduled maintenance that has come up?

Seriously. I don't think so. I completed 138K Kms approx when it changed hands never felt this issue or even heard about it. About the chinese cat can't say anything.
rhandle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 17:15   #115
Senior - BHPian

Okay, a really long pending update. My apologies for delaying the updates on the thread for this long…

Atlantis has been munching miles at its regular pace and crossed 190,000 kms around 2 weeks back. The journey has been smooth and amazing.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170923_173109.jpg

2 services at Toyota were done around March 2017 and July 2017 as per their manual’s recommendations. Don’t have the invoices with me right now… from what I recall from the top of my head.
  • 170k kms service = Regular service with usual theatre of oil and filter changes. Additional component = Rubber Bushes for Anti-Roll bar, the pair costed around INR 1500. Total Service Cost was 8k approx.
  • 180k kms service = Again the usual rituals of oil and filter changes. Additional components = fresh brake pads in the front and rear windscreen wiper. Pads costed me around INR 5000 and wiper blade around INR 300. Total Service Cost was 15k.
  • A brand new Battery was placed around June. Amaron 85A. Costed me INR 4800 + the old battery in return.

190k kms service will happen shortly.

One major expense in between was the alternator. I have taken the car to multiple water crossings and this had started showing its impact a few months back. The problem started popping up intermittently.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170728_103908.jpg

I got the Toyota folks to diagnose the problem for me and they pinned it to the bad alternator which had become very inefficient and was churning out only 10-11V of current (as against standard current rate of 13.5/14V).

Reason: Coil inside the alternator gone bad! Toyota folks suspected water ingress.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170731_145255_hht.jpg

Brand new Alternator at Toyota = INR 32k!

Some people in my friend circle asked me to get the alternator repaired, however I am not a person who compromises on the reliability of my car because of the nature of usage of my vehicle. Asked Toyota to replace the alternator with a brand new one.

Brand new alternator brought, kicking out current in style.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170731_173458.jpg

Another big story was failure of Ironman4x4 suspension during Independence Day weekend. Sad story, really. I touched upon this bit in Tejas’s Pajero thread. read it here.

Honestly, I was made to believe that Ironman4x4’s support was unparalleled in India, not in my case sadly! At least the brand needs to own up to the customers when this kind of shit happens, may be too much to expect in India!

My overall experience with the Ironman4x4 dealer left a bad taste and now I have made the switch to Old Man Emu suspension by ARB. Very good results so far, pliant ride and off-road performance remains unchanged. World over, ARB products are considered very premium and I hope it turns out to be a good decision in long run.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170819_123659.jpg

Meanwhile, the car has been a constant companion and has been taking me to our weekend off-road jaunts and some awesome road trips. A few random pics of Atlantis below, most of the pics taken by .anshuman. Wallpaper Material!

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-dsc00735hdr.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-aaa_7614hdr1.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-dsc02121.jpg

A panorama at one of the local lakes in NCR.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_4723.jpg

When I got to experience the Godzilla! Both are beasts, in their own ways!
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170520_172831.jpg

2016’s highlight was our overlanding trip to Ladakh. here is the travelouge thread

2017 highlight so far has been our trip to mountains in April. Very few pics from the trip, sharing a few below.

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-aaa_7661hdr.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-aaa_7704.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-aaa_7712.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-aaa_7799.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-aaa_7819.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01556hdr.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01605hdr.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-dsc01639.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-aaa_7716.jpg

A Panorama shot of Chitkul village!
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-pano_20170409_152416.jpg

There are few videos of the above said trip put on YouTube on .anshuman's channel... enjoy these as well.

More overlanding trips to come in November and December. I will update the thread shortly once 190k service happens...
Ace F355 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 10:21   #116
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Atlantis has been munching miles at its regular pace and crossed 190,000 kms around 2 weeks back. The journey has been smooth and amazing.
Beautiful Ace F355, just beautiful . They say nothing touches a Toyota body-on-frame diesel when it comes to durability.

Quote:
2 services at Toyota were done around March 2017 and July 2017 as per their manual’s recommendations.
I find the servicing costs very reasonable for such a high mileage SUV.

Quote:
One major expense in between was the alternator. I have taken the car to multiple water crossings and this had started showing its impact a few months back. The problem started popping up intermittently.
The alternator or the starter - they always act up after water. Best to avoid water crossings as much as possible.

Quote:
Another big story was failure of Ironman4x4 suspension during Independence Day weekend. Honestly, I was made to believe that Ironman4x4’s support was unparalleled in India, not in my case sadly!
That's very sad to hear. Good luck with the ARBs - hope you have a better long-term experience there.

Wish you another 100,000 km of driving pleasure with your indestructible truck.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2017 at 11:55.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 16:16   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They say nothing touches a Toyota body-on-frame diesel when it comes to durability.
True, I had a chance to travel a short distance on this truck recently, there are hardly any rattles or sound from the engine that makes you know the mileage and you have to visually check ODO to believe.

The new ARB-OME suspension does change overall ride especially on the broken tarmac we get plenty in Gurgaon. You can virtually glide over craters at high speeds.

The ability of Truck to cater to so wide audience from a status 4x4 in initial days to a hardcore 4x4 later is one of the reasons Toyota's command so high resales and I am sure if someone chops off the rear, this can work like a utility truck forever or with little changes to rear seats as a people carrier somewhere in hills, there are simply too many options to continue using this for another 500 K

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th September 2017 at 16:19.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 21:45   #118
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Wow! You are using the Fortuner exactly how it is supposed to be used. Congratulations on the 190k kms mark. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Ironman. I have read a lot of positive reviews regarding the old man EMU setup, I hope it serves you well. Did you ever feel the need of VSC?

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 17:40   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Beautiful Ace F355, just beautiful .
Thanks GTO.

Quote:
They say nothing touches a Toyota body-on-frame diesel when it comes to durability.
I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Quote:
I find the servicing costs very reasonable for such a high mileage SUV.
You bet. I have found the maintenance costs very reasonable. There are certain components at Toyota which are a bit expensive, however the long shelf life of the components brings overall cost to remain on the lower end of the spectrum. I do believe in replacements of parts with OEM spares because of my trust in Toyota's overall quality control. Case in point: my recent pair of brake pads. INR 5,000 for a brand new set of pads! In a SUV that costs 30L+ brand new! How much more economical and reasonable you would like that to be! And remember my pads have been changed as a preventive maintenance. Toyota reported my previous pads to have 2.5 mm thickness (Brand new are 11 mm) and I asked Toyota to replace them in advance. And these pads had seen huge amount of off-roading, rough terrain driving and what not for past 60,000 kms! So even though I could very well save some penny by getting the pads from outside, it is the quality and trust in Toyota spares which makes me stick to them.

Quote:
The alternator or the starter - they always act up after water. Best to avoid water crossings as much as possible.
Yep, my starter motor has been cleaned twice after water crossings. Of all the off-roading that we do, I am least interested in water crossings just because of these small niggles which may pop up afterwards.

Quote:
That's very sad to hear. Good luck with the ARBs - hope you have a better long-term experience there.

Wish you another 100,000 km of driving pleasure with your indestructible truck.
Thanks again for your wishes. I am sure this tough Toyota will keep going strong for a lot more kilometers, odometer reading is least of my worries with this car. My main worry is on the age of the truck. With NGT lunatics tightening the noose around diesel vehicles in coming years, I may have to start thinking for the backup plan (re-registering the vehicle far away from NCR region that is!)

Quote:
True, I had a chance to travel a short distance on this truck recently, there are hardly any rattles or sound from the engine that makes you know the mileage and you have to visually check ODO to believe.

The new ARB-OME suspension does change overall ride especially on the broken tarmac we get plenty in Gurgaon. You can virtually glide over craters at high speeds.
Haha... thanks paaji. I am glad you liked the suspension setup. I take it as a big compliment, coming from someone whose daily drives are BMW 7 Series, X5 and the new Endeavour.

Quote:
I am sure if someone chops off the rear, this can work like a utility truck forever or with little changes to rear seats as a people carrier somewhere in hills, there are simply too many options to continue using this for another 500 K
I have another suggestion for such audience. Isuzu D-Max V Cross! Same Jap reliability, simple construction, tough-as-nails truck which is a boon in today's crop of vehicles ridden with electronics! Can be prepared for much more flexibility and usage and comes at a good value-for-money price tag too!

And between a pre-owned Fortuner and a brand new V Cross; you know what would I recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Wow! You are using the Fortuner exactly how it is supposed to be used. Congratulations on the 190k kms mark. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Ironman. I have read a lot of positive reviews regarding the old man EMU setup, I hope it serves you well.
Thanks for your wishes Asit. I am loving the new suspension setup so far, and hope ARB serves me well and above the Ironman4x4 setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Did you ever feel the need of VSC?
In my experience so far, no! But then I am sure this is one thing which makes a lot of a difference in emergency maneuver situations. That's the only point where I would miss it not having in my car and I sincerely hope I don't have to get into such a situation during my ownership time.

Rest of the times, like driving on snow and ice etc, I think one can overcome the need of VSC by having a better control on throttle. Gentle throttle and brake inputs are the key in such situations.
Ace F355 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 19:19   #120
Senior - BHPian

Some more pictures of Atlantis... for your viewing pleasure.

Lost Somewhere in the wild...
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170624_073442.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170603_065128.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170723_180512.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_4725.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170618_180213.jpg

Enjoying a good sunset!
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170721_190315.jpg

Doing a little Mud-Plugging!
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170805_085201.jpg

Relaxing at home, enjoying a good monsoon shower.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170521_175412.jpg

After concluding a weekend off-roading session.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-save_20170912_245915.jpg

Enjoying a double rainbow during a Monsoon evening.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170725_185307.jpg
Ace F355 is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed