Team-BHP - 2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/176524-2005-toyota-innova-2-5l-11-years-2-40-000-km.html)

A small introduction:

I still remember the first time I heard about Team BHP, it was back in 2005 when I asked about the 'www.team-bhp.com' decal on the number plate of my Toyota Innova. I was a kid back then and was curious about almost anything that had 4 wheels or more! It was my father Vinod K. Mathew (team-bhp username: 'philipkuttys'), who was the sole reason behind my enthusiasm and passion for cars. It is simply there in my blood. My father passed away in November '05 and sadly I was not fortunate enough to completely learn and understand the knowledge he had about 'automobiles' or discuss about it with him to the extend that I would have done today, but I still remember almost all the road trips, drives, frequent dealership visits and all the times I would ask him to draw me a car (he was a great artist too) so that I could paint it and add on silly spoilers, bodykits, antennas, etc. Those days after my father's sudden death were tough times for my family but my Mother and Grandmother were strong and overcame all the hurdles, and as I got older I helped out wherever possible and today I am happy to let you all know that Philipkutty's Farm which was my father's vision and idea is a successful Homestay on an Island in the backwaters of Kerala.

I have read on the forum (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post136407) that my father was preparing an ownership report for our Innova at the 10000km mark. So here I am writing a Long-Term Ownership Report for the same Innova after 11 long years and 240000kms!

The 2005 V Variant (V was the top spec variant back then) Silver Metallic Colour Innova has been a keeper for my family thanks to its reliability though our second car has been rotated from our Tata Indica that ran for about 240,000 kms with one engine overhaul in its time, then came our Tata Indigo which was used as a taxi for guests and ran for close to 150000 kms before it ran into mechanical problems and we replaced it with a Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire in 2009. The Dzire ran 135000kms before we replaced it in 2011 with a much more reliable car our Toyota Corolla Altis 1.4L which has 140000kms on the odometer currently and we have no plans as of now to change this one. We also added a third car last year, our first petrol(that too a turbo) with a wonderful DSG Automatic Box, the VW Polo GT TSI and a week back we got our Toyota Innova Crysta 2.8L ZX Variant delivered in Grey Metallic Colour.

So let me take you back to 2005:

My family was in pursuit of buying a second car as our Tata Indica was getting old and my family had also gotten bigger as my younger sister was getting older. I used to accompany my dad almost every time he would visit a dealership and he would take my family together for test drives so that all our opinions could be considered.

So we began looking at sedans and the two sedans we narrowed down on and test drove were the Hyundai Elantra and the Skoda Octavia (as we needed a good diesel). Both, I still remember were pretty powerful and I also remember being in a bright yellow Octavia VRS in the Skoda dealership. But practically thinking we needed something a little bigger. We even considered the Octavia's Combi Variant which reminded my father of his mid '90s with our Tata Estate but again the fact that it could only seat 5 was the problem.

We definitely needed something bigger so we began looking at SUV's. My Uncle had bought a Mahindra Scorpio during that time but would the Scorpio reliably last our mile-munching drive-style was the tough question. The answer was NO! My Uncle ran into several mechanical troubles with that car which took many days to sort out each time. We then looked at the Chevrolet Tavera and the Ford Endeavour. The Tavera I still remember had low quality plastics & interiors and wasn't the solidest of cars to be safely seated in. The Endeavour was nice but if I remember correctly it would stretch our budget a little too far. The Toyota Fortuner was also anticipated to be launched that year but that didn't happen and instead came the Toyota Innova which would also cover up for the Toyota Qualis.

The Toyota Experience:

The Innova ticked all the right boxes, a good 7-seater with a practical boot even with all seats down, good safety features like ABS & Two Airbags (on the top variant), spacious interiors, the MPV felt more car like than a van, decent 102hp 2.5L diesel engine etc. We booked our Innova shortly after the launch and got it delivered in July '05. The delivery experience was good and the after sales service of Toyota was amazing. Additional accessories we bought along with the car from Toyota were the Spoiler (without which the car looks bald), Chrome Muffler Tip and Interior Mats. OTR price for the Innova in the V Variant was only around 10 lakhs back then compared to the unimaginable increase that has steadily happened over the years and has reached the maximum today of 26 Lakhs though the current Innova Crysta is totally different and a more premium car with strong engines, a good feature list and they have maintained if not bettered the passenger comfort and feel of the car when compared to the 1st Gen. Innova. There were moments over the 11 year period when we could get crazy resale value for the car, sometimes equivalent to what we had initially paid for the car but we never fell for it since the OTR price of the facelifts were increasing too and also as our Innova had a special place in my family since it was the last car purchased by my Dad.

Upsizing the tyres:

The first thing my Dad did after fuelling up the new car was to take it straight for upsizing the tyres. We switched the stock 205/65R15 tyres for Apollo Acelere 225/60R15. All I could tell back then was that the wider tyres looked better on the car but today I understand the importance of the upsize and it has been a mandatory upgrade for all our new cars since the Dzire. 225 section tyres is perfect on the Innova, good grip and an overall better driving experience in terms of handling and braking.

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-tyre-upsize.jpg

How the Innova has been driven and fuel efficiency:

My Dad could only drive the Innova for over 10000 kms.The rest until today was mainly driven by my two drivers, myself, my mother and my uncles. The drivers, one who is slightly old and was there with my family since my dad's Yercaud school days and the other who has been present with my family since my birth continue to take good care of all our cars as they personally knew and understood my Dad's passion and love for keeping the cars in an immaculate condition which I have gracefully inherited and strive to continue doing.

The Innova generally returned around 12 kms to a litre on the highways and around 9-10 km per litre in the city. It is only recently(about 3 years back) we started noticing a drop in fuel efficiency which I believe is a result of the engine getting older and increased amount of carbon deposits in the fuel injectors over the years. It has now dropped to around 8 km/litre and we get a maximum of round about 10 km/litre on the highways.

How it became a mile-muncher and how much it usually munches daily:

My Sister and I did our schooling in Cochin which is about an hours drive(40kms) from our house. Today my Sister continues her schooling in Cochin and a usual round trip to Cochin and back home along with a lot of city driving thats done for business related errands would easily cover over 120kms in total daily. Today this is split between all the cars but until last year the Innova had a 50% share of this.
Let's look at some interesting numbers:
*In the above calculation I have included other journeys like visiting family, road trips, etc but not included the extensive taxi journeys which were primarily run by the Indigo and the Dzire.

About the Innova (how everything has fared for 11 years):

The Innova has been serviced at the correct intervals and we haven't missed a service to date, even the checkup have been done every 5000kms. Major parts that have been changed in the duration of 11 years mainly are wear & tear components like brake pads, rotors, bearings, timing belt, both the airbags have been replaced over expiry, over 5 sets of tyres(including the initial upsize set), AC related components, etc. I also got a new pair of headlights last year after the old ones fogged up pretty bad. The car has gotten in no major accidents so nothing major has been done related to body work other than the usual wax and polish from Petes in Cochin. The design and styling of the 1st Generation Innova is still my favourite, guess designs of cars do grow onto you over time and you slowly start to like them more. The suspension and ride quality of the Innova has been excellent though we switched the struts to Bilstein B6's(more on that in the upgrades section). Straight line stability is excellent and highway driving is a blast except for the noisy engine when cruising at highway speeds. The steering wheel is slightly on the heavy side especially at lower speeds and city traffic manoeuvres but at higher speeds the steering is perfectly weighted. The brakes on the car are strong though I would have preferred disc brakes on the rear but the car brakes fine with the large drums. These drums have been carried forward in the New Innova Crysta too.

On the interiors the seats which are originally fabric started getting dirty over time and we switched it out for Stanley Leather(more on that in the Upgrades Section). The car stereo and speakers which still has a Cassette player is holding up well and is working fine. Boot space is excellent the extra space when you fold the 3rd row is plenty for most luggage. The Captain Seats in the middle row is the place to be in the Innova and there is still nothing more comfortable than getting chauffeured around in an Innova on Indian roads in those captain seats. The rear row has always been special for me since I progressed over the years, first sitting in the rear row then moving to the middle row until I was 12 years old (I was not allowed to sit in the front seat because of the airbag until I was old and tall enough) then I have occupied both the front seats! The rear row is not at all cramped and is still enjoyed especially by my young cousins. I still don't mind sitting in the 3rd row when travelling with family though my favourite seat is behind the steering wheel.

The Engine if you look at it today is underpowered for a car of the size of the Innova but back then in '05 more than 0-100 timings it was the practicality, reliability and comfort of the Innova that won the hearts of the people. It doesn't mean an Innova is no fun to drive and it definitely drives more like a car than a van. Toyota could have improved on the gearing of the Innova (which they have done on the New Innova Crysta) as highway cruising is loud with the engine revving high at speeds of 100kmph and also the tall vibrating gear lever can be irritating at times. I was able to make the strain on the engine and the sound at 100kmph much quieter with the help of a K&N Replacement Filter (which is also a mandatory upgrade for all our cars). Service costs for the Innova has never unexpectedly rocketed sky high throughout the 11 years. The only occasion that the Toyota Dealership gave us a crazy bill was when we took the car in for frequent AC related complaints last year and the Dealership suggested on getting the whole AC System replaced which would have costed around 1 Lakh rupees. They told us that this was their policy with the older models of the Innova showing frequent troubles with the AC System so that no more such problems would arise again for another 10 years. The problem we faced most often was gas leak and effectively lower cooling. We decided on not to get the whole AC System replaced as the car was this old and instead we asked Toyota to just fix the problem at hand and to do the same whenever such problems arise from the AC System. They sorted the leak out and the cars been fine ever since but about a month back we experienced another drop in cooling and had to get things sorted again. I know that we would experience such problems further in future but its not a problem thats too expensive to get sorted each time and I can live with that. Now with the current NGT Ban around the corner in Kerala I feel it was the right decision to not spend so much and get a whole new AC Unit in the car.

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-underthemangotree.jpg

Upgrades:

Other than the mandatory tyre upsize and the K&N Replacement Filters (which is cleaned and oiled at regular intervals as and when required) I was fortunate enough to have a few other upgrades/modifications done on the car.

The interiors as the car aged started ageing with it and when it got a bit out of hand we decided it was time for a small interior overhauling. We went ahead and got Stanley Leather Interiors done on the car including the door panel pads, steering wheel and the seats. This was done as the car became 5 years old and it was the best decision done to retain the freshness of the interiors. The leather gave the car a more premium feel and the quality of Stanley Leather is just awesome. Though my only regret is the more time the AC takes to cool the cabin due to the heat from the black leather seats during summer months but it is alright as its temporary and can be avoided by taking simple precautions like parking the car in a shade when outside. The Black and Red Theme along with the Silver Body Colour matched well. The seats are in Black Leather with Red Stitching.

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-sl1.jpg

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-sl2.jpg

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-sl3.jpg

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-sl4.jpg

This changed the whole character and behaviour of the Innova. The car that wasn't considered important in 0-100 figures suddenly felt important and the car became much more fun and engaging to drive. We have had the tuning box ever since the 6th birthday of the car. My only regret is that we should have gotten it much earlier. The figures, stock 102hp was upped to 127hp and stock 200nm of torque to 250nm. The car felt quicker and driving it with a light foot would give better FE but have a heavy foot and the opposite happens. The greatest relief with the Tuning Box was the less number of gear shifts required and drivability improved considerably. Even my mother enjoyed the fun of the box and she understood the difference very well though today she prefers the GT TSI and the convenience of the DSG! I thoroughly enjoyed the tuning box too and the old car that felt dull was now fun to drive.

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-petes-tuning-box.jpg

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-hood-open.jpg
The best upgrade we did on the car! It made the Innova more car like to drive with this necessary upgrade. We switched the stock suspension out after the car ran into some suspension related issues and the stock struts needed replacing. We replaced the stock struts with new OEM struts and later it was my Uncle who suggested giving the Bilsteins a go after the improvement it made on his 2010 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI. This Jetta was used frequently by my Uncle in highly spirited drives to Coonoor, Tamil Nadu where my cousin did his schooling and the Bilsteins improved the way the Jetta handled, cornered and braked. It was more of a safety upgrade for my Uncle along with a remap for the Jetta from Petes. The Jetta is still going strong though its 6 years old. On the Innova too I felt vast improvements in the way the Innova handled, cornered and braked. The body roll had evidently disappeared to a certain extend and the car had transformed. Was the comfort and ride quality of the Innova compromised? Well not at all, as the car felt firmer and stiffer on the inside and on uneven roads the car felt planted and secure both sitting behind the wheel and the rear seats, rather than a floaty feel on uneven roads that can feel scary at times from the passenger point of view during spirited driving. The whole suspension had stiffened but not to a limit where the ride quality was harsh and comfort had to be compromised. Overall the car felt safer on the Indian roads! On the highway the car felt firmer but the comfort level on the inside remained relatively same.

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-fullsizerender-5.jpg

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-fullsizerender-6.jpg

The Innova has gone through about 5 sets of Tyres to date. We went with Apollo Acelere 225/60R15 Tyres twice, one set of Yokohama's (225/60R15) and after the upsize in Rim size to 16" and 225/55R16 Tyres we have stuck on to Michelin Primacy's ever since. The OEM Rims were getting old and we switched them out for the Lenso's in 2012. The Lenso Project D - Matte Black Rims also complimented the overall theme of black with silver and it also matched the Black and Red Stanley Interiors. I made sure the tyre size error was below 2% (0.99% for this particular upsize) and the Innova has been happy sporting the Lenso Rims. The 55 profile tyre was just right with good grip and ride quality was not affected to a large extend. 17" rims were on my mind initially but they are for pure aesthetic purpose and I stayed away from them as the low profile tyres would affect the drivability of the car and we would always have to watch out for potholes and spirited driving becomes difficult unless you are that familiar and sure of the roads.

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-lenso.jpg

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-dealership.jpg

We had the Apollo Intake Kit put on the Innova for a short while but I found that the OEM Airbox and K&N Filter worked better with the tuning box. The Apollo Intake was piped in such a way that it faced the front Grille of the car for fresh cold air. The lower end power delivery improved significantly but the outright performance took a beating as somehow the car wasn't performing the same way in the higher rpms. The coolest thing though of the Intake Kit was the SOUND! The replacement filter from K&N had also improved the intake noise but the sound of the Apollo sucking in air is simply LOUD each time you put your foot down. It sounded really nice but I couldn't keep it on the car only for sound as it was actually not helping otherwise. So we switched it out for the OEM Airbox and the Big Round K&N Replacement filter.

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-kn-apollo.jpg

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-kn.jpg

These upgrades were purely for aesthetic purpose. The Custom Mesh Grille gave the car a much more aggressive look up front and would turn heads wherever the Innova was taken. The TRD Badge (sourced from USA back then) added on and made the car look more original, and many have asked whether the Grille is available as an original TRD Kit for the Innova.
The DRL's were added to the front and it helped with the early morning drives to school in Cochin and aided as a safety feature too. Both the Grille and the DRL's were done in 2011 and the TRD Badge added in 2012. The Mesh Grille is painted in Matte Black and I have added some Red Hella Horns in the Grille to compliment the whole theme of the car. The mesh has to be maintained and painting of the grille has to be done at least once a year to keep it looking good.

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-mesh-only.jpg

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-trd.jpg

Pros:

- Practical 7 seater.
- Reliable and strong 2.5L Engine.
- Ease of maintenance.
- Fun to drive with the Petes Tuning Box and the Bilstein B6 Suspension.
- Boot Space.
- Interior plastics have been good so far thanks to the UV Protectants and regular cleaning.
- Captain seats in the middle row is the place to be in this car!
- ABS & 2 Airbags back in 2005 were a great bonus.
- OTR Price of ₹10 Lakhs in 2005.
- Great resale value even today.

Cons:

- Loud and underpowered engine.
- 5 Speed Manual Gearbox with bad gear ratios so highway cruising can get irritating due to the short gears and loud engine revving at high rpm.
- AC not the best unit in the long run.
- Mileage.
- Stock fabric seats.
- Tall vibrating gear lever.

Conclusion:

The Innova was the best value for money car that we have purchased to date and it still has good resale value and a large market of willing buyers but the looming NGT Ban on diesel cars above 2000cc and older than 10 years in Kerala would mean that I cannot have my Innova (which is both older than 10 years and has a 2.5L(2500cc) engine) run on the roads of Kerala. This Ban has affected the resale value of my Innova which I am prepping for sale as we bought the new Innova Crysta which will take forward what my old Innova was doing for the next 10 years. Though the Innova has over 240000kms on the odo the car has no mechanical issues or problems and I even had a plan on keeping the car and running it as a taxi for guests in our Homestay. But the NGT Ban has ruined my plans of holding on to the Innova any longer though I have no plans on hurriedly selling the car off. I'll wait and see how this whole ban works out and make a decision once the rules are clear. Especially since the district I live in (Kottayam) has been excluded in the 6 major cities the NGT has imposed the ban on in Kerala. I might have to say goodbye to my Innova soon but it is one of those cars that will always have a place in my heart. The perfect people mover that has ruled the Indian Roads for the past decade!

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-both-innovas.jpg

2005 Toyota Innova 2.5L - 11 years & 2,40,000 km-both-innovas-garage.jpg

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Long-Term Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent review of the car mate, you have done just the right mods to the car. Your old innova looks better than the new crysta :). Wish you more trouble free miles with this car.

Wow! Amazing write up. The Innova is a reliable beast and owners like your family, who take care of cars with love and affection, show that a well maintained, albeit a bit older will last a long time.

I think the NGT should make an exception in your case as your Innova looks just a year or two old. Congrats on the new Innova as well. May you clock even more kilometres on her.

Thank you of your beautiful post. This is one of those posts on tbhp that go beyond just the machines. You have captured your emotions very well and that innova is very much a part of the journey started by your dad! Thank you again!

PS: I am now going to keep your resort in my mind when I am planning my holiday next. :)

cheers!
sai

An excellent write up on the car.The Innova is a tank when it comes to reliability and your car is no exception.I love the alloys and the interiors.Very tastefully done.
I feel really sorry for cars like your Innova,which are immaculately maintained and still have a lot of kilometres left in them.The NGT should do an emissions test on cars older than 10 years and then come to a conclusion on the ban.This is just not fair on their part.Banning old cars just for the sake of it.:Frustrati
On a related note,congrats on the New Crysta and I am waiting for an ownership review.Looks like you just bought the car in the nick of time,as the NGT has banned diesel cars above 2000 cc in Kerala too.
Enjoy the new car and cherish her for years to come,
Vishy76

Great write-up and good to reviews of 'mandatory' add-ons a car enthusiast would buy:)

Looking forward to see a detailed ownership review of your new car too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip.Mathew (Post 3983050)
A small introduction:

I still remember the first time I heard about Team BHP, it was back in 2005 when I asked about the 'www.team-bhp.com' decal on the number plate of my Toyota Innova. I was a kid back then and was curious about almost anything that had 4 wheels or more! It was my father Vinod K. Mathew (team-bhp username: 'philipkuttys'), who was the sole reason behind my enthusiasm and passion for cars. It is simply there in my blood. My father passed away in November '05 and sadly I was not fortunate enough to completely learn and understand the knowledge he had about 'automobiles' or discuss about it with him to the extend that I would have done today, but I still remember almost all the road trips, drives, frequent dealership visits and all the times I would ask him to draw me a car (he was a great artist too) so that I could paint it and add on silly spoilers, bodykits, antennas, etc. Those days after my father's sudden death were tough times for my family but my Mother and Grandmother were strong and overcame all the hurdles, and as I got older I helped out wherever possible and today I am happy to let you all know that Philipkutty's Farm which was my father's vision and idea is a successful Homestay on an Island in the backwaters of Kerala.

Hi Philip.Mathew,

A very well written review but what really struck me was your first paragraph. I have met your father and he had attended the first ever team-bhp meet held in Kerala, in Cochin. Those were early days and I doubt that meet even got documented here in the forum. In fact he had got the same Innova for the meet!!! We were very sad to hear about his demise which happened some time later.

Anyway welcome to the forum and give regular updates about the new Innova as well!

This review is close to my heart as we have the same car, bought 2 years later. :)
Our odometer reading is about a little more than quarter of yours.

One question: Since you own a resort, wouldn't it be a good option to use this car as a goods carrirer?

Excellent review Philip.Mathew and a very touching post indeed. :)

Your Innova has aged really well and looks fresh with the mods you have carried out. Since the Crysta has now made its entry into the excellent garage space you have, congratulations and wish you an awesome and memorable journey for the years to come on the new workhorse. In the last two pictures, both the Innovas look rather new if one does not pay attention to the number plate.

Thanks for a wonderful report. Rating a well deserved 5 stars!

Excellent long term write up of a very practical car and indeed a great way to bid farewell to the car if at all the ban comes into effect.

As a lawyer, one thing I can be sure of is that any decision of the courts will have adverse repercussions and you can always wait even after the decision to replicate it in the official gazette and for the rules to get amended. Therefore you can easily prolong selling off this gem of a vehicle.

Great and honest review. I just simply love the tasteful mods done to the car. Simply enhances the appeal of an ageless vehicle.

I remember during my trip to Goa last year, I rented and drove an Innova which had more than 300,000 kms on the ODO. The car was no where nearly as well maintained as yours, but even then driving it for 5 days in Goa was fun. After returning, for some time I was interested in buying a second hand Innova, but then the interest faded to an extent. But a truly remarkable car it is.

Excellent account of your ownership. The reliability factor is common to all Toyota, even cars which were not built or Sold in India and yet run without any issues (the imported Lexus's and Land Cruisers) so I am not at all surprised. Infact I have sat in a 200,000+ kms run Qualis with nary a rattle or a squeak. I hope the common sense prevails though and instead of a blanket ban based on number of years, its emissions which decide whether a car ought to stay on the road or not.

Dear Philip Mathew, congratulations on completing close to a quarter million miles with your Toyota. The well maintained condition it shows even today is a testimony to your family and Toyota. A touching and well written review. Rating it 5 stars. I am sure your late father will be proud of you. Best wishes with the Crysta. - Narayan

A very moving account of events captured brilliantly in words Philip Mathew! :thumbs up

Your 2005 Innova looks in great shape. Fit for many more years and miles. Please share some close ups of that Lenso wheels.

I think the 10 year ban will get extended to 15 years at the minimum. The govt. doesn't have money to refund the 5 year road tax collected from thousand of users. The finance minister was making all the right noises a few days back. Let's see how the petition goes.

Have fun with the Crysta!