Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2020, 22:14   #151
BANNED

re: Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)

How callous to treat a long term customer like this! In the age of social media and especially a thread on Team-bhp is not what I would want, if I were in the shoes of any manufacturer. This thread itself will cost them in few millions and more in view of bad image. I would have gone all out and replaced the whole engine with gear box and would have got excellent publicity. I feel the B-shool training imparted needs a serious overhaul! Classic example of penny wise and pound foolish.
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 22:20   #152
Senior - BHPian

I read the thread last night and was under the impression that its fair Toyota replaced the engine atleast. However, it now appears to be an overhaul and is quite disappointing indeed.
I will leave it to the technical gurus on the forum to figure out if the engine has indeed been replaced or not.

We all have that one relative in our family who blindly buys Toyota, case in point my uncle, who went from Qualis to Innova to Crysta. Qualis and Innova aren't sold till date but have been relegated to farm duties and have six digit odo readings.

Even though this is a one-off instance it needs to be highlighted(separate thread perhaps?) for the claim of guaranteed superior reliability and hassle-free ownership, is not so in the given case and the unprofessional handling of the entire issue by Toyota and its dealer is simply unacceptable after paying a huge premium for their vehicles and with the OP being a repeat customer.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 22:31   #153
BHPian

Please change title of thread to 'Toyota Innova Crysta engine failure at 50,000 kms and corresponding fraud by Toyota!'
steadfast is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 23:14   #154
BHPian

I have been a Toyota user for last 7-8 years. Believe me I have owned several brands from Maruti to Hyundai Tata BMW Audi Mitsuibishi. Toyota is ahead leaps and bounds compared to any of these brands.

Have used 5 Toyota’s and never had any issue big issue with regards to service.

The case must be one of the few dissatisfied customers, which would be there for any Brand. No brand can keep 100% customers satisfied even if it was Rolls Royce.

Toyota stands for durability above anything else and their commitment to change engine without much fuss is good in their part.

SA was wrong on his part to commit anything before Toyota approve anything. It’s only Toyota which can approve any claim under warranty and no SA can commit on their part.

Few bad experience will always be there with any manufacturer, but expect Toyota to have the least number. Their service cost is cheapest and Maruti being cheaper to service is a myth.
My Dzire Diesel service cost never came out less than 9-10 K but for Innova a normal service never crossed 7K.
Honda makes fool of people by increasing the mileage per service interval while keeping the interval at 6 months.
I had to pay for 40K service at 20K for Honda because they expect every car to do 20K every year. Service bill costed more than 8K for a petrol car which has done only 20K and recently just paid 6.5K for Innova at 90000K.
samitjain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 02:37   #155
Senior - BHPian

I've never seem an engine replaced in Toyota with 5 digit mileage. What is the reason they gave you? If I read your posts right, they called you out of the blue for an engine replacement? Something is definitely fishy here.

Also, sad to say it - but getting the dealers word on anything doesn't mean anything unless it is written (can sue Toyota + Dealer) OR the manufacturer approves it. Anyway I'm guessing the transmission is in good shape(not condoning this shoddy work).

I hope this thread gives thread exposes them and makes the higher ups in Toyota take action. Wish you the very best
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 09:12   #156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)

My 45K service is coming up and I’m trying to figure out what caused the decisions for an engine replacement ? Was it just the noise ? If I need to ask for a Db test , would Toyota do that ? I’m about t give my car for service next week. It’ll be good to know more details.
Old 28th September 2020, 12:08   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
My 45K service is coming up and I’m trying to figure out what caused the decisions for an engine replacement ? Was it just the noise ? If I need to ask for a Db test , would Toyota do that ? I’m about t give my car for service next week. It’ll be good to know more details.
THey did a noise test. It was about 3-5 db higher, IIRC. That was the only symptom but it was fairly persistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
This is extremely disappointing from Toyota. Did you check the engine number on the old engine, the picture you posted here previously? Do you have other pictures of the engine? I zoomed in and checked on the picture you posted, I did not find any, looks like the engine number is engraved on the other side. If you have that picture, compare it with the engine number on your RC. That is the only thing which will clarify your doubt.
The engine number is identical
sridhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 12:15   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I have been remiss in updating this ownership report. However, trust me, I had good reasons!

Engine Replaced But Toyota Still Stiffed Me!!
I had an issue with the engine as mentioned here .

Turns out that it was a big deal. The dealer called me and told me that they would like to replace the engine. This was around the 50k service mark
Sridhu - I am sorry you had to go through this experience. I have an older Innova which is sparingly used these days. I have a question for you - how about the RTO formalities if the engine is replaced. Does the dealer take care of this? I ask because the Engine Number is reflected in the RC book and when I read the thread, I was wondering about this.
Rgds,
Old 28th September 2020, 13:27   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
THey did a noise test. It was about 3-5 db higher, IIRC. That was the only symptom but it was fairly persistent.

The engine number is identical
Can you please give us more information on this engine noise issue? Like what is the normal decibels and with which device service center people find out that your engine is producing 3-5 db higher sound? Did they give you any official written report? I want to get my Innova Crysta Gx MT 2018 checked. I started to listen to some extra sound in the engine bay on my crysta after seeing your post, or is that some psychological feeling?

Now that the engine number is identical, you can safely assume that you got a brand new engine. The only gripe here is they did not honor what they initially promised, i.e., replacing the gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsimhan View Post
I have a question for you - how about the RTO formalities if the engine is replaced. Does the dealer take care of this? I ask because the Engine Number is reflected in the RC book and when I read the thread, I was wondering about this.
Rgds,
He previously mentioned that the new engine block he got was unstamped, they punched the old engine number on the new block. May be Toyota makes these unstamped engines as replacement engines so that the owners need not have to worry about any problems with RTO

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 28th September 2020 at 13:31.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 13:48   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post

Now that the engine number is identical, you can safely assume that you got a brand new engine. The only gripe here is they did not honor what they initially promised, i.e., replacing the gearbox.
Like Leoshashi mentioned, if the engine number is identical it is not a new engine it is just a overhaul using half block.(or whatever it is called)

If it is a new engine it will have a new engine number.(that is my doubt)

So it is not only that they have broken promise on new gearbox but they also havent replaced his engine with a new engine (it was a partial overhaul as mentioned in bill) nowhere in the bill a new engine mentioned.

But I doubt anything can be done now as nothing was given in writing.

Last edited by SideView : 28th September 2020 at 13:54. Reason: Typo
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 14:09   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Like Leoshashi mentioned, if the engine number is identical it is not a new engine it is just a overhaul using half block.(or whatever it is called)

If it is a new engine it will have a new engine number.(that is my doubt)

So it is not only that they have broken promise on new gearbox but they also havent replaced his engine with a new engine (it was a partial overhaul as mentioned in bill) nowhere in the bill a new engine mentioned.

But I doubt anything can be done now as nothing was given in writing.

Sorry for the confusion, If you checkout my previous posts, I asked him about the old engine number.

I asked him if he checked the old engine number which was removed from his car and placed on an old tyre (the image he previously posted), if he checked that number and compared it with number on RC, to which he replied that the number is identical (on old engine and RC), now that he has another engine in his car, this confirms that the old engine is replaced (which is outside as in the picture) and not overhauled.

Regarding the engine number on new engine block, He previously mentioned that the new engine block he got was unstamped, they punched the old engine number on the new block. May be Toyota makes these unstamped engines as replacement engines so that the owners need not have to worry about any problems with RTO

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 28th September 2020 at 14:13.
WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 17:58   #162
BHPian

Failure of an Toyota engine! Gears wearing out on an Innova auto! So much for the extra 9 or so lacs one would pay over a Hexa or a Xuv 500. Failures are being reported on various critical parts, across manufacturers. There is an active thread on a brand new Merc engine failure on Team-Bhp.

As consumers we need to perhaps realign our thought process and be ready for any eventuality irrespective of which brand of car we drive. Manufacturers and Dealers too need to be proactive and minimize the turnaround time in case of such failures.

As far as your contention is concerned, the manager who committed a radiator to gearbox swap was clearly way beyond his authority. Such things should always be confirmed in writing. The Co and Dealership have fulfilled their obligation of replacing the engine and repairing the gearbox. I think the best thing is for you to move on.
Pashin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 22:08   #163
BHPian

Well I'm joining the list of miffed cutomers of Toyota too. I have a fortuner that is now nearing 3 years with 50k kms on its odometer. Since the day I purchased the car it has had a misaligned glovebox issue. Everytime it's been in a for a service the issue is brought up they keep the car for a day extra, sometimes do a photo op , escalate the issue to Toyota with no resolution In sight.

They've even had the audacity to charge me for a new govebox when they broke some lock on one of their inspections and when I blew my lid about it the dealer calmly says you're making so much of a fuss over a paltry 12-13k and later offered a goodwill gesture of charging 5k as a discounted rate for breaking the glovebox lock by my use!

The latest is just a few days back now when they've returned the car with a worse than when sent glovebox alignment which now rattles over any road at all times. Mails to Toyota elicit a quick phone call but no resolution is ever forthcoming.

I got a bill for 8800 for its 50k service which opposed to my crv diesel is much steeper considering they charge around 3-4 k for its inspection at 45k mark. So a total bill of around 12k for 10000 kms as oppsed to my crv diesel which just gor back from it 30k kms service with a bill of 5800 and a replaced steering wheel in warranty as there was a slight/hardly visible peeling of leather on one side!
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 09:47   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
I got a bill for 8800 for its 50k service which opposed to my crv diesel is much steeper considering they charge around 3-4 k for its inspection at 45k mark. So a total bill of around 12k for 10000 kms as oppsed to my crv diesel which just gor back from it 30k kms service with a bill of 5800 and a replaced steering wheel in warranty as there was a slight/hardly visible peeling of leather on one side!
Could you please share the 45k and 50k service bill here to see the splitup ? On first look, the amounts looks a bit out of place. Maybe, the service center is over charging you by adding things not recommended by Toyota ?
Old 2nd December 2020, 09:54   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
... and a replaced steering wheel in warranty as there was a slight/hardly visible peeling of leather on one side!
Welcome to the club!

My Crysta has a crack on the steering wheel too.

Nandi Toyota just plain refused to even look at it.

Luckily, I think it is superficial.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks