Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2021, 16:06   #166
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
One idea would be to do some sort of tag on the tyres/alloys ( like numbering it 1 to 5 ) and then remember the positions of 1 to 5 before the service and then validate it after the service. I'm planning to do this with the Crysta.
That's right. I normally write in white chalk the place where I want the rotated tyre to go. This way it clears up any ambiguity of which tyre has been rotated where. You can always check after the job if the tyres are rotated to the correct spot where they ought to be. During one of the trips to Madhus in Bangalore (their branch on RV Road going by the name of Continental) the gentleman balancing the tyre told me that the balancing machine itself would suggest where the tyre ought to be placed. I wasn't sure of this so I opted to go with what I had marked. The rotation pattern is available in your owner's manual.
Rgds, Bsimhan
Bsimhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 19:03   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

[*]When you switch off the car at lights, the HU goes off. So, if you are having a Bluetooth conversation, you are hosed! In a car with a key, this does not happen. The upshot of this is that you waste gas at lights if you are having a conversation on the phone or listening to some really good music, like Bohemian Rhapsody - you just dont want to shut it off!
This should be fixed in software, in my opinion
Automatic owners,

When you stop the engine in drive or neutral, does the music system switch off?

This is a nice feature I have observed in the grand i10 auto. Not sure about the crysta
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 08:31   #168
Senior - BHPian

Note: The 85k report was forked off as its own thread due to the cracks in the dashboard & steering

The report and the resulting discussions and resolution ca be found here.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st December 2021 at 09:10. Reason: Fixing broken URL.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 13:12   #169
Senior - BHPian

A very eventful post 85k period for my Crysta!!

First, I escalated the issues were address by Toyota/ Nandi. Mostly satisfied with the resolution. They have not addressed the leather steering wheel & the switch console on the roof.

Then, I had a fairly major accident. Luckily no injuries; only damage was to the wallet.

Details on the accident here

The fix costed about ₹ 4.5 lakhs mostly covered by insurance. I paid 20k for the repair and 12 k for the towing.

They managed to cut the dashcam cable!
Name:  87k Dashcam Cable cut.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  49.1 KB

Since the number plate was anyway broken, I went for a HSRP replacement.

I dont know if the place is really HSRP (the SA assured me it is. I dont know how to verify). The major change is that they have riveted the plate. Cost about ₹1,200

Name:  87k Repair HSRP Bill  1.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  84.6 KB

The rest of the bill - labour & parts changed.

Name:  87k Repair  2.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  136.7 KB

Name:  87k Repair  3.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  87k Repair  4.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  141.3 KB

Name:  87k Repair  5.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  140.2 KB

Name:  87k Repair  6.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  138.0 KB

Name:  87k Repair  7.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  87k Repair  8.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  49.0 KB

Hope that is the end of the troubles with car!!

Incidentally, I upgraded the head unit to a Pioneer DMH-ZF9350BT. Fit is perfect. Works reasonably seamlessly on wireless mode.

Since I had enabled the WiFi hotspot it used to reboot every once in a while. After I switched it off, it is fine.

I cant get rid of the sneaking suspicion that the 7" model would have been as good at 30k cheaper!
sridhu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 21:15   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Hope that is the end of the troubles with car!!
In your ownership review thread, you mentioned that you chose Crysta over XUV based on the positive experiences you had with the Innova.

Based on the troubles you have had with Crysta, would your decision change for the next purchase?
Old 9th February 2022, 05:47   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post

Based on the troubles you have had with Crysta, would your decision change for the next purchase?
Definitely.

I like the Kia Carnival, XUV 700 and the Harrier. One level up, I like the Velfire (Toyota again!)

The Carnival is the front runner, IMO.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 16:44   #172
Senior - BHPian

Gave the Crysta for what I thought was the 95k service but turned out to be 90k service.

After the accident, the car has been running reasonably well. Comfortable. And no major issues.

Going in, I felt the following needed looking at:

- Mild steering vibration at 110+ kmph. Expected as the TPMS sensor was changed
- I felt idling was slightly high

No other major issues.

The car has been going on multiple outstation trips. I would say about 65% outstation & the rest city. It has run about 7k KM after the last service.

The Sensairy sensor in FR tire gave up the ghost; decided to cannibalize the spare sensor instead of plumping for a new sensor at 1500. My opinions on the Sensairy here (SensAiry : An app-based TPMS). Slightly miffed at Sensairy, to be honest

Service Done
Nothing major:
Engine oil replacement
Air Filter replacement
5 wheel WB
4 Wheel Rotation
Wheel Alignment

FR mudflap broke off. Toyota wanted ₹ 3,800 for a set of 4 ; Apparently they wont replace just one. Quietly ordered a full set for ₹700 on Amazon.

Detailed Bills
Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-crysta-95k-1.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-crysta-95k-2.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-crysta-95k-3.jpg

Ownership Statistics

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-screenshot_20220426162757_my-cars.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-screenshot_20220426162845_my-cars.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-screenshot_20220426162916_my-cars.jpg
sridhu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 14:15   #173
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. 100k UP!

100k Update & Opinion

It is almost exactly 6 years since I purchased the car.

This is a good time to reflect on the pros & cons of the vehicle and express my considered opinion on the ownership experience.

But first, the 100k Service details

Complaints
Nothing major really. The clutch started squeaking weirdly in a recent Madras trip. Only occasionally and only the evening!

The other one is a personal issue: while I had no issues with the shifting, I noticed that both my driver and my brother's driver in Madras made the car lurch mildly while shifting particularly in traffic and mostly in the second gear. I ascribed this to clutch travel and asked the ASC to reduce it slightly.

Otherwise no issues

Service & Costs
They replaced clutch bushings (2.5k, mostly labour) & adjusted the clutch (not seeing any lurching)
Changed Engine oil

That's all.

Does anyone else get the feeling that ASC deliberately damage or 'encourage' obsolescence of wipers? The wipers seemed to be fine when I gave it for service but the service executive called and asked if I wanted wipers replaced. Since I had spent 3k replacing them recently, I declined. But when I noticed today that there is a 1 inch tear at the top of the bigger wiper. Coincidence? Maybe.

Got BOSCH Clear advantage wipers (26 & 16 ) and replaced. Retained the smaller wiper for canibalizing for rear wipers. Total cost 900. Are wiping fine in the current rain.

The front right mud flap failed. Since, as noted earlier, the ASC wants 4.8k for a set of 4 flaps, I went with something called Wolkom Mud Flaps from Amazon. Tore right off in the first trip to Madras. AVOID THIS BRAND

Got set from Konark Accessories, HSR along with a nice tissue holder for ₹ 1100 total.

I replaced only the front right mud flap. Seems ok. Slightly shorter than the original. (If anyone wants other wheel mudflaps, DM me. Happy to give away)

The tissue holder

[Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-20220708_133828.jpg]

100k Service bill

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-screenshot_20220708131354_drive.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-screenshot_20220708131407_drive.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-screenshot_20220708131410_drive.jpg

Ownership costs

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-screenshot_20220708142225_my-cars.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-screenshot_20220708133909_my-cars.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)-screenshot_20220708133914_my-cars.jpg

Ownership impression

On the whole, I would give it a 6.5 out of 10

This is on the same scale as used for the earlier Innova, which I had for 10 years and 250k km, which I would rate a 10/10.

I paid 9.75 lacs for that. This, I paid 24 lacs
Other than regular maintenance & fuel I spent nothing else on that car. In this I have had issues, both major and minor.
A quick recap, off the top of my head:
  • Windshield cracked
  • Brake judder
  • Clutch issues
  • Engine noise
  • Cracked steering wheel
  • Cracked fascia
  • Stuck map light switch
  • Engine replaced
  • Rotor replaced
  • Clutch bushing

I don't know if I got a bad sample or if the legendary Toyota reliability is fraying at the edges.

All told, from being a staunch no-other-alternative-but-Innova for people moving advocate, I would now seriously consider alternatives like XUV700, Safari etc. I may even buy them!

Ramkripa of M&M is a friend from college. When she asked me what would make me consider buying something other than an Innova, I answered "Nothing". And meant it too! (This was before the XUV500 came out)

Imagine how much Toyota should have screwed up to lose the brand advocacy of some one like me!

Don't get me wrong - I don't hate the car or anything. It is a fine piece of machinery. But Toyota brand has shifted from being the only one to another one. And that is on Toyota.

At this point, I should mention that the service that I have received from Nandi Toyota, Kudlu Gate for both vehicles has been nothing short of exemplary. Kudos.

Pros & Cons after 6 years & 100k kms

Pros
- excellent build quality. No squeaks
- comfortable
- powerful
- with a Thule box, excellent for road trips with full family
- very usable both in city & highway
- friendly enough that my son learned to drive stick on it!

Cons
- Reliability dropping
- oh how I miss that 6th gear!
- mileage is average. I get about 10-11 kmpl
- gear shift is very vague
- the older Innova was definitely more comfortable on long distance drives. This is harder and wallows at the same time!
- lousy head unit and ergonomics
- crappy sound system
- 5k service interval

Net - Net: Not unhappy. Not Paisa Vasool at 24 lacs. (?)

Should have got the G Automatic.

Last edited by sridhu : 8th July 2022 at 14:35. Reason: Re: Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. 100k UP!
sridhu is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 14:50   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone else get the feeling that ASC deliberately damage or 'encourage' obsolescence of wipers? The wipers seemed to be fine when I gave it for service but the service executive called and asked if I wanted wipers replaced. Since I had spent 3k replacing them recently, I declined. But when I noticed today that there is a 1 inch tear at the top of the bigger wiper. Coincidence? Maybe.
Of course, deliberate damage. Has happened to me twice and I am surprised it is the same case at a different dealership also. I have written about it here. After I took the SA to task about it, it was replaced free of cost with a new pair of wiper blades at my house itself. Thank god at least they are worried about customer complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
  • Looks like they scam well with the wiper blades. Every service, the wiper blades get cut mysteriously. During last service, I drove in with perfect wiper blades, but the SA came to me and said that they are cut. When I walked towards the car, he suddenly changes his stand and mentions it doesnt need replacement. But I anyway ask him to replace it since I was pissed off. Later I am provided the so called old blade which has such a long cut, that anyone in my family would have noticed it well before this service.
  • But now coming to the latest service, the scam was different. When the car was sent in, both the blades were as good as new. Neither did the SA mention that there was a cut. But car returned with both blades cut and the same mentioned in service observations. But I was never informed of the same nor asked for replacement. I strongly feel they have swapped the blade with a different car and then only towards the end mentioned in the bill to keep themselves safe.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 07:47   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Of course, deliberate damage. Has happened to me twice and I am surprised it is the same case at a different dealership also. I have written about it here. After I took the SA to task about it, it was replaced free of cost with a new pair of wiper blades at my house itself.
Which dealership are these? I've been on my stock wiper blades for the last 4.5 years. Last service, they suggested wiper blade replacement and i told there is no marks while wiping and why should i replace. The SA mentioned, there's just one point where there is a slight mark. He did not push me further. I get my car serviced at Nandi Toyota, Kudlu gate.
Old 9th July 2022, 10:06   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which dealership are these? I've been on my stock wiper blades for the last 4.5 years. Last service, they suggested wiper blade replacement and i told there is no marks while wiping and why should i replace. The SA mentioned, there's just one point where there is a slight mark. .
For me it was two different branches of Ravindu. During first service I was waiting in the lounge. SA came to me and said the blade was cut. So I started walking towards the car and enquiring him how it could go bad in just one year of less usage due to lockdown. Halfway, he changed his theory and told it can go on for a few more months but since next service is one year away changing is recommended. As I reached the car I found they were not cut. In spite of all this, I agreed to change it since that was the only item in the bill amount and maybe the SA was trying to meet targets.

When I reached home, in the replaced parts I found that the old wiper blade was badly cut. This was definitely not my cars or they deliberately cut it. Weak wiper blades is something that might go unnoticed but if it's cut then every time I use the windshield washer it would leave streaks at the edges. This is something I can never ignore. Thats when I understood something is wrong. When in second service I was pretty sure the blades were perfect but the car was returned with cut blades. So that's when I took the SA to task. He got me a pair of new wiper blades from a sealed packet. How could he easily agree to replace a 1500 rupee part free of cost? When he got the sealed blades I also offered to pay but he refused since by then I had already made it clear to him that he can't mess with me

Last edited by audioholic : 9th July 2022 at 10:22.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 12:41   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which dealership are these?
Same one, Amalji - Nandi Toyota, Kudlu gate. I have mentioned in the review too that I have had very few reasons for complaints. Until now.

I have had no issues until now but they have started this wiper nonsense from the last service - essentially twice in the last 2 months.

So, I am going to watch out for this even with Kudlu gate but this time I am giving them the benefit of doubt.

Like Audioholic says, a cut wiper is easily visible, particularly in the last couple of months with rains. But if they cut a cm or less at the top, then it can be played both ways by them. If you ask them to show, they can show the cut wiper; if you argue, they can let you go and you might not notice it until it becomes much worse. Hopefully you will remember their great diagnostics and come back.

Being a cyber security guy, I am naturally suspicious!

Last edited by sridhu : 9th July 2022 at 12:43.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 10:26   #178
BHPian

Quote:
100k Update & Opinion

Ownership impression

On the whole, I would give it a 6.5 out of 10

This is on the same scale as used for the earlier Innova, which I had for 10 years and 250k km, which I would rate a 10/10.

I paid 9.75 lacs for that. This, I paid 24 lacs
It's a testament to the state of options that the consumer has in India and the bargaining power of the OEMs that somehow we are paying 2.4x for a car whose standards have lowered considerably from the previous version

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th July 2022 at 11:09. Reason: Post quote trimmed.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 17:08   #179
BHPian

Quote:
100k Update & Opinion

It is almost exactly 6 years since I purchased the car.

This is a good time to reflect on the pros & cons of the vehicle and express my considered opinion on the ownership experience.

But first, the 100k Service details
Congratulations Sridhu. I recently completed 1L too on my 2.8 G AT and it's been a good experience so far, barring the tyre burst issues, seat noise and front bumper alignment.

Quote:

The front right mud flap failed. Since, as noted earlier, the ASC wants 4.8k for a set of 4 flaps, I went with something called Wolkom Mud Flaps from Amazon. Tore right off in the first trip to Madras. AVOID THIS BRAND
4.8k is a rip off for the OEM ones. I was quoted 2.8k for the same OEM ones at Nandi Toyota, Kudlu Gate branch. Sent you a PM with more details.
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 21:11   #180
Senior - BHPian

Man, of all the maintenance works 'engine replaced' had my eyebrows touch north. How is it even close to reliable when the engine was replaced in a car that costs 2.5 million. I was under the impression that the Innova (Crysta) was their bullet proof product. I won't call this a sample issue or quality control fail issue. 6.5 rating is poor.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks