Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2020, 12:26   #136
BHPian

re: Toyota Innova Crysta ownership report. EDIT: Engine replaced (page 9)

For us readers, its easy to think "I wouldn't have accepted it", whereas in reality, dealers are extremely persuasive while they lie through their teeth knowing they're breaching your trust on the Toyota brand & people at Nandi Toyota being ethical professionals.

Its naïve to believe this is a one-off case. This form of deliberate dishonesty is systemic. I wouldn't have thought Toyota worked on those principles. Seeing what has been done & reading the narration on the bills, I genuinely have NO confidence even in the professional competence of the "Service Advisor". Shame.

Apart from having paid top-rupee & having entrusted them with full faith, I wonder what it would take to find a car brand that employs credible engineers & competently trains them in terms of technical aspects as well as an honest workflow.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 27th September 2020 at 12:45.
WorkingGuru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 12:47   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Was noisy and running rough. No seizing. I do not know the compression test output as those were not shared with me.
Bearing failure? I know it's difficult to get an official word out of them but have they i.e. the dealer told you about the probable cause of the issue?

They replaced sync cones in the gear box instead of changing the GB unit. Now that gets me wondering how and why would these parts fail in just 50-70K kms?

Quote:
They did NOT replace the engine + gearbox. Just the engine. The contention is that they should have replaced both as promised to me. My issue was that Toyota, via their dealer manager, promised that both the engine & gearbox will be replaced and went back on the promise without telling me.
I hate to break this to you Sridhu but no car dealer can make a commitment before consulting the car manufacturer and getting their approval is in hand. I blame the dealer for having made promises that they probably could not keep, which is not entirely TKM's fault although they also share some part of the blame for this disappointing experience.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 13:01   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Was noisy and running rough. No seizing. I do not know the compression test output as those were not shared with me.

They did NOT replace the engine + gearbox. Just the engine. The contention is that they should have replaced both as promised to me.

My issue was that Toyota, via their dealer manager, promised that both the engine & gearbox will be replaced and went back on the promise without telling me.

If you read my ownership history, you will notice that the issue seems to have cropped up between 35-40k km.

I had the older Innova which did approx 2.25 lac kms in 10 years. So I do know that Toyota is reliable. That is the reason I purchased it. That is the precise reason why an engine failing at 50k kms was so shocking & unacceptable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
You missed the full post, they went back on their promise of the new gearbox and extended warranty.(read the bottom half of his post)

I also doubt based on the bill if engine has been replaced or it is just a overhaul.

Mod: Please update the thread title or create a separate thread highlighting this issue. Lets not keep any manufacturer on a pedastal. This is a grave issue and needs to be highlighted so other owners are aware

My bad, yes I missed the part where in the dealer failed to fulfill what was initially promised (Engine + GB) swap, but generally gearbox need not be changed if there's an issue with only engine. Since the SA earlier had promised, they should have replaced gearbox as well.

Toyota as a brand runs on trust and loyalty, it is very upsetting to see that broken. What is more upsetting is that the trust of a loyal customer who had been with Toyota for last 20 years had been broken here. (as he was having a previous generation Innova too).

The car might drive fine for next 5 lakh kms, but the customer would never trust the SA / dealership or even Toyota in future.
WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 13:10   #139
BHPian

The thread title is stopping it from getting the traction it deserves so that experts can chime in( looks like any other ownership thread, until you read the engine replacement part)

The bill and no new engine number really is suspicious tbh.

But if owner is satisfied who am I to comment. Also 20k since the ordeal.
Old 27th September 2020, 13:30   #140
BHPian

I think my take on this experience with Toyota and my own experience with Maruti, Hyundai, Honda, Tata etc is that the dealers can't be trusted and neither can their employees. However, one can trust many of the manufacturers and they do take care to ensure the trust in the brand remains. This incident shows one has to be careful as the communication between the dealer and the manufacturer is never shared. In other words I would rather trust the manufacturer!!
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 14:52   #141
BHPian

Quote:

Engine Replaced But Toyota Still Stiffed Me!!
I think there may be other users who may be having similar problem but wonder if they will ever realise unless there is some easier way to find this out.

While I am happy having taken the extended warranty myself like you, wanted to check if you think the air intake design flaw in the 2.8 litre engine may be a possible cause to this if you drove through dusty areas for prolonged periods resulting in particles entering the engine and damaging it.

This issue was earlier discussed on this forum under below thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...el-engine.html (Australia: Toyota admits fault with air-intake system of 2.8L diesel engine)
haisaikat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 15:03   #142
Senior - BHPian

Well - it’s our mistake to remain loyal to companies while they never know the magnitude of our loyalty at all as they don’t hold or even look at a customers profile of his / her past relationship with company.

It’s not your fault at all to have agreed as anyone would’ve indeed consented to the request of the personnel who’s being persuasive to get things done by almost promising to the Z of the matter.

If the car is running fine, I suggest for the sake of maintaining your inner peace, just let this go. We hardly have seen company’s or dealership going beyond their remit to meet customer’s expectations. Very minimal cases unless I’m mistaken.

I don’t know what is it with companies known for durability / reliability to just go ahead with customers request as they don’t see it in large numbers to count on cost / anything else to this mechanical failures. It would’ve in fact uplifted their trust with customers when they do it on adhoc basis as this is not a recurring issue with anyone else.

And Toyota says they find tax as intolerant for their growth give me a break!

Regards

RV
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 15:07   #143
BHPian

Brings into question the premium one pays for a 'reliable' Toyota car.
If the after sales experience, specially if the issue is of a warranty repair, is as bad as any other brand, why pay a premium?
Sanjivvohra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 16:46   #144
BHPian

Toyota, I think, has already decided to pack their bags in India and leave. This is why complacency has set in within their setup.
Too many issues cropping up in latest Toyota cars.

A part like gearbox which was to be replaced should have been done so as promised by them. It is not like the car has been run for 5 lakh kilometres and the engine failed thereafter.

All this international brands which are not owning up to their mistakes in India and disappear within a day (eg. Harley) without prior intimidation to their owners should not be trusted with henceforth. Atleast Ford is honest with what they are doing currently.

More the reasons to opt for Indian manufactured cars. They are almost on par with international brands and they also don't have anywhere else to run if things go south.
DrCar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 18:20   #145
BHPian

Quote:

Tomorrow, the car is going for 75k service – basically because it has been sitting for 6 months. Battery is fine as I got a Bosch C3 charger. Highly recommended!

No major issues, that I can see!
IMO you should file a case with the Consumer Forum. This is a clear case of cheating and treachery.
Old 27th September 2020, 18:36   #146
BHPian

OP, I would suggest that you make your ordeal public on social media even if you have given up expecting anything better from Toyota. Let the general public know not to be blindly fooled by the PR and word of mouth stories.

I would say, you share your story just like the famed 5lac Innova image. I am sure one of our Tbhpian's can create a better artwork.
Old 27th September 2020, 18:48   #147
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot folks, for your support.

Couple of clarifications:

- Like I mentioned, I had the empty promises of the dealer manager that he will "take care of it" for 3 services. I used to do about 5k in 2-3 months. They finally told me that they will not be honouring their promise after the70k service, I think. So, it is not that I am raising the issue after 20k km.

- I do not see a consumer/ judicial complaint being successful as nothing much is in writing.

- I was told the entire engine has been replaced. Looking at the comments, and looking back at the interactions, I seriously doubt it now. They have perhaps stiffed me in the engine fix also.

Basically, I did not want critical portions like the Engine or Gearbox opened by the dealer at 50k KMs. That seems to be precisely what has happened.

This is about the dealer making promises that could not be kept, knowing that it could not be kept. It is also about me losing confidence in a brand almost totally.

While I dont think the car will fall apart tomorrow, Toyota has lost my hard won loyalty. I am not a fan boy of any brand - I vote with my wallet based on mine (and reported experience) and the value for money a product provides. Toyota, which had a headstart in the MPV space in my mind space, has just been reset to behind the start line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
... wanted to check if you think the air intake design flaw in the 2.8 litre engine may be a possible cause to this if you drove through dusty areas for prolonged periods resulting in particles entering the engine and damaging it.
Mine was the 2.4 Ltr engine. But I was not aware of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I hate to break this to you Sridhu but no car dealer can make a commitment before consulting the car manufacturer and getting their approval is in hand. I blame the dealer for having made promises that they probably could not keep, which is not entirely TKM's fault although they also share some part of the blame for this disappointing experience.
This replacement loop had been going on for 2-3 months prior to the actual replacement. Toyota engineers examined the car for a couple of days. I had no reason to believe that Toyota was not aware of the case or not in sync with the dealer on my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
How an engine (Complete engine) can leave the manufacturing facility without an engine number? Is that possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post

I also doubt based on the bill if engine has been replaced or it is just a overhaul.

Shame on you Toyota. Mistake on OP part that he did not get it confirmed by official mail.

Mod/sridhu: Please update the thread title or create a separate thread highlighting this issue. Lets not keep any manufacturer on a pedastal. This is a grave issue and needs to be highlighted so other owners are aware
Please see my update today - I think you people are correct. I dont think the engine was replaced at all.

I have no control on the post heading, AFAIK.
sridhu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 21:24   #148
BHPian

Quote:

- I was told the entire engine has been replaced. Looking at the comments, and looking back at the interactions, I seriously doubt it now. They have perhaps stiffed me in the engine fix also.

Basically, I did not want critical portions like the Engine or Gearbox opened by the dealer at 50k KMs. That seems to be precisely what has happened.

This is about the dealer making promises that could not be kept, knowing that it could not be kept. It is also about me losing confidence in a brand almost totally.

Please see my update today - I think you people are correct. I dont think the engine was replaced at all.

This is extremely disappointing from Toyota. Did you check the engine number on the old engine, the picture you posted here previously? Do you have other pictures of the engine? I zoomed in and checked on the picture you posted, I did not find any, looks like the engine number is engraved on the other side. If you have that picture, compare it with the engine number on your RC. That is the only thing which will clarify your doubt.

In the bill they mentioned engine gaskets, those will be fixed only during engine rebuild, not for a complete new block. Also instead of mentioning full engine block, in the bill it was mentioned as engine assembly partial. So is the old head used? Then why is the head still there on the old engine you posted in the picture previously? Sorry if I missed anything here, but all this looks like a puzzle or a mystery to me, for what Nandi Toyota has done to your car.
WhiteSierra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 21:58   #149
Team-BHP Support

This is very unlike Toyota and disappointing to see. When the dealer agreed to engine and gearbox he should have honored it. This is really poor on dealer part.

Failures happen even if it is a Toyota but they need to be dealt with top most level of satisfaction for the Toyota brand. Other brands may not have to be.

But Toyota thrives on reliability and customer satisfaction. When you make a customer pay way more upfront (when you're buying the car) than the competitor on the premise of reliability and customer satisfaction, the customer should be treated for the premium he paid for that.

What then is the point of paying extra for a Toyota when the engine fails and the dealer and manufacturer don't go out of the way for the very thing they charged more for??

Sorry but this will shatter faith in the brand and Toyota would do well to amend things ASAP.

With an engine change you even lose resale value which again is what Toyota sells you when buying the car that you will make up the extra you pay for the brand at the time of resale.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th September 2020 at 22:12.
Vid6639 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 22:01   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is very unlike Toyota and disappointing to see. When the dealer agreed to engine and gearbox he should have honored it. This is really poor on dealer part. With an engine change you even lose resale value which again is what Toyota sells you when buying the car that you will make up the extra you pay for the brand at the time of resale.
Hi Vid, would you able to edit the thread title to highlight this issue that Sridhu faced(or does this warrant a separate thread?)

Please delete my request after. Thanks
SideView is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed