Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2016, 20:48   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
Any idea as to which xenon bulb is used in the projector? And what Temperature?
Philips D5S hid bulb and Philips D5S 25W ballast

Colour temperature is 4300K according to SA.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4023868
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 02:09   #17
BHPian

Fantastic buy I must say. Definitely there in my list when I return back. How is the steering? How is handling vs ride?

I believe, the car does justice to the 1.6 under the hood. Am sure it pastes a big smile when you put your foot down! Excellent choice for an enthusiastic driver..

Looking forward to your ownership and a loooong test drive when I am back

And time to change your profile picture!

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 1st September 2016 at 02:10.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 02:45   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on your New S-Cross 1.6. I also love this car. Happy and safe Driving !!!

I had taken a test drive too and it indeed does feel lot of fun to drive and very satisfying for a diesel.
Sunsh!nes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 06:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Fantastic buy I must say. Definitely there in my list when I return back. How is the steering? How is handling vs ride?

I believe, the car does justice to the 1.6 under the hood. Am sure it pastes a big smile when you put your foot down! Excellent choice for an enthusiastic driver..

Looking forward to your ownership and a loooong test drive when I am back

And time to change your profile picture!
Saar, thank you!! The ride quality over bad roads is good when you are above 20 - 25kmph. Too low a speed, and you will feel the bumps. I took it up to 120 and was able to handle the curves on the Chennai Bangalore highway. Have not tried faster than that.

Yes, it does put a smile with its in gear acceleration. The only fly in the ointment would probably be the tyres, which if changed would probably result in much better high speed manners and handling. No Vitamin M for now though. Also, the speeds I went, the vehicle was stable but I have gone over higher speeds in the XUV and I feel that it is a more stable vehicle at high speeds.

Of course, however long you need. I will also understand certain characteristics of the car when you drive it!! If you are not looking for a smaller footprint car, the XUV is still the vehicle to own, in my opinion, not withstanding the fact that it is a couple of lakhs more for the W6 variant.

For you, may I suggest the Jetta? .

Profile picture: Still some emotional attachment to the Swift, so for now it stays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsh!nes View Post
Congratulations on your New S-Cross 1.6. I also love this car. Happy and safe Driving !!!

I had taken a test drive too and it indeed does feel lot of fun to drive and very satisfying for a diesel.
Thank you sunshine.

Quote:
Congratulation on the 1.6.An absolute gem of an engine to say the least.The S-Cross is a fabulous car and the best one till date to come out of Maruti in quite a while. And those Bi-Xenon Projector headlamps are fabulous to say the least! Great to see Maruti offering the same at this price point.

Any idea as to which xenon bulb is used in the projector? And what Temperature?

Happy mile munching with her! She's sure to put a smile on you're face for many miles to come.

P.S: The road noise is purely attributed to those Pathetic JK tyres that comes with the car. A switch to Michelin's will sort that issue out.
Thank you!! Dr.Naren has already answered the question (though I admit I had no idea about the answer and would have required Google's help).

You are right, it could be due to the tyres. I am forced to live with it for now as Vitamin M is a bit tight right now. Whoever came up with the idea that the 1.6 should be sold only in the Alpha trim!!

Last edited by arvind71181 : 1st September 2016 at 06:59.
Old 1st September 2016, 09:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congratulations Arvind and welcome to the 1.6xer's club. As the saying goes "yeh to shuruvaat hai, picture abhi baaki hai mere dost". The more you drive the 1.6 the more you would start loving the car. Show the 1.6 a highway and it gets excited like a puppy.
All the best, keeping an eye on this thread.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 12:06   #21
Sip
BHPian

Many Congratulations Arvind ! Dr.Naren, you and me are amongst those who initially tried to buy 1.3 but endeded up buying 1.6, a situation I am much happy about.

Car cracks along amazingly and only problem for highway driving is 'speed limit'.
Sip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 12:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Aravind! Wishing you many miles with the new beast. Good choice of color and a very "to-the-point" review which was a pleasure to read quickly. And the parting shots of the Swift, man sure looks very well maintained and I can understand the reason for the emotional attachment!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 15:36   #23

Congrats Arvind for the 1.6 S-Cross. Looks like a nice upgrade from the Swift. Also, my personal take is that the Granite Gray is both a subtle as well a loud statement maker especially when you zip past amidst people. Happy and long safe miles ahead ! Please post more pictures and review as you clock more.
mahalingam_a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 16:10   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Good choice! Good Show!

It is indeed a very nice vehicle and I think you'll enjoy many miles in it!

It looks good, sophisticated and since there aren't all that many out there, you will enjoy some level of "exclusivity" too!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 16:29   #25

Hey, even i Just got the 1.6 recently. and i am Loving it!!!

I bought it to replace my SX4, and like you also prolonged it for what reason even i don't know. I had the SX4 for i think about 10 yrs, done about 90,000 kms. I finally decided to get my act together when the Alternator failed on me and had to replace it, ugh it cost me about to 10k just for that!

Honestly i wanted to replace it only with a Maruti so didnt really look around for other options, and we already have a Ciaz so the S-Cross was the only option, and what an option! I thought about the Brezza, but the wait time was an issue, and i thought it was a bit small really. also i am not a fan of the 'exuberant' styling! there are really only two downers for me. The rear seats even after adjusting the angel aren't as comfortable as the Ciaz, and the rear boot space is not as expected. The comfort on the rear seats was manged by adding a Cushion which i got from the Dealer (Nexa Thane North (run by Automotive) are pretty good, i would recommend them, they handled the process quite well. though i did find myself making more calls than necessary.). The Boot Space is something i am just gonna have to live with.

Comparing the 1.6 to the 1.3: A friend of mine has the 1.3 so i had ample of opportunities to drive that. and i would recommend the 1.6 hands down eyes closed, everything! the auto Wipers lights etc are bonuses, but that engine is really an improvement. I took it up to speed (i am not going to say what speed, but lets just say it was FAAAASSSSTTTT!), and it handled it Supremely well. I have driven lots of cars from Mercs/BMWs to Altos/800s! and in my opinion at speed, this car handles as good as any of them!

On the JK tires point: i am personally not a fan of the Brand, but the fact that the car handles soooo well in-spite of them is just a testament to the Car. Good Job Maruti-Suzuki!

All in all this is one of the best cars i have had the pleasure of Owning and Driving!
GautamC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 18:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Hearty congratulations Arvind and welcome to the 1.6xer's club. As the saying goes "yeh to shuruvaat hai, picture abhi baaki hai mere dost". The more you drive the 1.6 the more you would start loving the car. Show the 1.6 a highway and it gets excited like a puppy.
All the best, keeping an eye on this thread.
Thank you Rakesh for your wishes. Right now, it is the highway that the car craves for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Many Congratulations Arvind ! Dr.Naren, you and me are amongst those who initially tried to buy 1.3 but endeded up buying 1.6, a situation I am much happy about.

Car cracks along amazingly and only problem for highway driving is 'speed limit'.
Thanks Sip, I agree, luckily the 1.3 production was delayed for sometime which made me look at the 1.6, else I would have got a 1.3 if the delivery had been on schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats Aravind! Wishing you many miles with the new beast. Good choice of color and a very "to-the-point" review which was a pleasure to read quickly. And the parting shots of the Swift, man sure looks very well maintained and I can understand the reason for the emotional attachment!
Thanks Abhinav!! Yes its been almost 7 years and 86,000 kms with the car and it really was something. I had to sell it as there were expenses related to Suspension, clutch, tyres and accelerator cables coming up and it seemed a bit high. Choice of color, my daughter gave me no choice . For some reason she saw the color in the showroom and decided on the spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalingam_a View Post
Congrats Arvind for the 1.6 S-Cross. Looks like a nice upgrade from the Swift. Also, my personal take is that the Granite Gray is both a subtle as well a loud statement maker especially when you zip past amidst people. Happy and long safe miles ahead ! Please post more pictures and review as you clock more.
Thank you Mahalingam!! Definitely hope to keep the thread updated as I clock more miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Good choice! Good Show!

It is indeed a very nice vehicle and I think you'll enjoy many miles in it!

It looks good, sophisticated and since there aren't all that many out there, you will enjoy some level of "exclusivity" too!
Thanks Shankar!!! Yes, the exclusivity is there. Not many S-Crosses to see on the road, and the 1.6 variant is rarer. I had a S-Cross 1.6 parked next to mine in my office a week back but before I could take a picture, it had moved out. Yes sophisticated as well, as the features it should keep the car fresh for some time to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamC View Post
Hey, even i Just got the 1.6 recently. and i am Loving it!!!

I bought it to replace my SX4, and like you also prolonged it for what reason even i don't know. I had the SX4 for i think about 10 yrs, done about 90,000 kms. I finally decided to get my act together when the Alternator failed on me and had to replace it, ugh it cost me about to 10k just for that!

Honestly i wanted to replace it only with a Maruti so didnt really look around for other options, and we already have a Ciaz so the S-Cross was the only option, and what an option! I thought about the Brezza, but the wait time was an issue, and i thought it was a bit small really. also i am not a fan of the 'exuberant' styling! there are really only two downers for me. The rear seats even after adjusting the angel aren't as comfortable as the Ciaz, and the rear boot space is not as expected. The comfort on the rear seats was manged by adding a Cushion which i got from the Dealer (Nexa Thane North (run by Automotive) are pretty good, i would recommend them, they handled the process quite well. though i did find myself making more calls than necessary.). The Boot Space is something i am just gonna have to live with.

Comparing the 1.6 to the 1.3: A friend of mine has the 1.3 so i had ample of opportunities to drive that. and i would recommend the 1.6 hands down eyes closed, everything! the auto Wipers lights etc are bonuses, but that engine is really an improvement. I took it up to speed (i am not going to say what speed, but lets just say it was FAAAASSSSTTTT!), and it handled it Supremely well. I have driven lots of cars from Mercs/BMWs to Altos/800s! and in my opinion at speed, this car handles as good as any of them!

On the JK tires point: i am personally not a fan of the Brand, but the fact that the car handles soooo well in-spite of them is just a testament to the Car. Good Job Maruti-Suzuki!

All in all this is one of the best cars i have had the pleasure of Owning and Driving!
Congrats Gautam on the car. Happy to join the 1.6ers club. Yes the 1.6 comfortably beats the 1.3, especially on the highway. Within the city, I guess both are neck and neck and probably the 1.3 becomes easier to drive with more mileage as well.

But find an empty stretch in the city (the road where I take my daughter to school has one such stretch), and it becomes such an adrenaline rush. Both me and the daughter look forward to that stretch to experience the "plane taking off" effect due to the turbo. Immense fun
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 21:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Whoever came up with the idea that the 1.6 should be sold only in the Alpha trim!!
Quite Weird that you should say that, Also noticed that you had mentioned this in the beginning of the thread.

However, this is from the official Brochure. It shows that the 320 DDIS(a.k.a 1.6) is sold in all three variants!
The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-screen-shot-20160901-21.31.08.png
One:1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 21:47   #28
BANNED

Quote:
However, this is from the official Brochure. It shows that the 320 DDIS(a.k.a 1.6) is sold in all three variants!
With the over-confident and high-head pricing from the head at Maruti initially during the S-Cross launch, all prospective buyers cancelled the booking and ran to Hyundai showrooms to get the Creta.

This made the S-Cross never took off as it should have if it would have been priced sensibly. After a while the 1.6L equipped ones were "Made to Order". And to keep track of bookings, Maruti decided to shunt the Xeta and Delta trim off the 1.6L list and let only Alpha be present.

So in the end whoever wanted the 1.6:L engine had to splurge to get it in the top most variant. In a way good but not all have the money to spend.

Also the localisation on the DDiS320 is around 67%, costs are high (engine and transmission is imported from Italy) where the DDiS200 it is at 97 or 98%.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 22:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite Weird that you should say that, Also noticed that you had mentioned this in the beginning of the thread.

Attachment 1549627
Anurag has already elucidated the reasoning. When I went to book the 1.3 in May I enquired about the 1.6 in lower variants and that is when I was told of this one variant policy.

While it is good from an inventory perspective it would have helped people like me save some ₹₹ as I would have probably gone for the Zeta variant. But thank goodness they chose to retain the highest variant and not the lowest.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 00:03   #30
BANNED

Congrats on your new acquisition. The car does look neat in this colour. How does the car handle on the highway? Does it have any body role?
May you enjoy this beautiful car for many more miles to come.
vdm295 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed