Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2017, 10:16   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed

A quick trip to Bangalore and Mysore was completed this weekend. The vehicle performed as expected and it was wonderful to drive it on the highway. Onward journey from NICE road to Mysore was slow with a lot of jams but that was expected. Return journey was better as it was on a weekday morning.

Taking keynote's posts on the official review and his ownership as inspiration, decided to check on the maximum mileage that the vehicle can give on the return stretch. From Hosur till Krishnagiri, with CC set at 110, the vehicle gave an astounding km/l range of 23 to 25. In fact, for a period of 2-3 kms it even touched 27 . I know its MID but I have never seen such figures before.

My discipline though ran out after Krishnagiri and I reverted back to my usual self, so when I reached Chennai, the vehicle's mileage dropped down to a low 20.9 kmpl . So the vehicle, can be driven to extract mileage if need be.

The ODO now stands at 193XX kms.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 02:18   #77
BHPian

Aravind, you are munching miles faster than ever. Am sure the juicy 1.6 is totally fun to drive. Happy motoring!
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 21:42   #78
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle touched the 20,000 km mark today, 10 months and 10 days after I bought it. Its been a very happy journey so far.

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_20170613_101407599_hdr.jpg

• Terrific highway cruiser, munches miles all day along
  • Completely comfortable for a family of 3 when on a highway, luggage space is very good for my family
  • Gives very good mileage if you are so inclined, as put up in my previous posts
  • Got completely used to the turbo lag, and is tremendous fun to sprint between the signals when the chance is given

Can be better:
  • The check engine light has come up around 3 times in these 20k kms, with no particular pattern. Each time it has disappeared before I go to the service center. Very annoying
  • The sun shade holder is a rattle trap. If you keep your shades there, prepare for it to rattle like crazy. It drives me up the wall so I have stopped putting it there. So not "Premium"
  • The HU though good, has a mind of its own sometimes when it refuses to either come out of mute or starts the song again from beginning after I finish a call. Talking of which, the bluetooth has become a bit iffy of late and does not connect sometimes. Probably need to get it checked
  • The headlights throw is bad. Had a visit to Kumbakonam Thanjavur and had to drive at night for sometime. Was not confidence inspiring

Overall, a fantastic all rounder car, and at this price point, I don't think I would have got anything else which satisfied all my requirements and given me such a terrific engine. Approximately 5700 kms of this 20000 have been on the highways translating to ~30% of the driving. Hope it stays in the same ratio or improves.

Some statistics of the 20K kms below:

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-screenshot_20170613184517.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Aravind, you are munching miles faster than ever. Am sure the juicy 1.6 is totally fun to drive. Happy motoring!
Sathya, yes I have surprised myself with the number of kilometers driven. Hopefully it continues for some time to come . Yup, it is fun to drive, especially on the highway.
arvind71181 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 19:06   #79

Brilliant ownership thread, planning to pick one up.
what app are you using on android?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Some statistics of the 20K kms below:

Attachment 1648120

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th June 2017 at 07:46. Reason: Putting [quote] tags for the quoted post. Please use the 'QUOTE' button to quote and respond to a member's post. Thanks.
daverm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 07:18   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
The vehicle touched the 20,000 km mark today, 10 months and 10 days after I bought it. Its been a very happy journey so far.
Overall, a fantastic all rounder car, and at this price point, I don't think I would have got anything else which satisfied all my requirements and given me such a terrific engine. Approximately 5700 kms of this 20000 have been on the highways translating to ~30% of the driving. Hope it stays in the same ratio or improves.
Sathya, yes I have surprised myself with the number of kilometers driven. Hopefully it continues for some time to come . Yup, it is fun to drive, especially on the highway.
This is an excellent choice. Badly under rated by our Indian consumers. One of the best "cult" offerings from Maruti. Wish you many miles in it because this car will become a sought after classic some years down the line.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 11:03   #81
BHPian

Congrats on a wonderful purchase! Enjoy the car to its maximum ! I'd buy it if I could afford it right now

Quote:
Can be better:

The check engine light has come up around 3 times in these 20k kms, with no particular pattern. Each time it has disappeared before I go to the service center. Very annoying

Hope you've not neglected this. It could be a sign of something more sinister. Get it thoroughly checked if you've not already done it, while it's still under warranty. Do check out the other thread by 100BHP on the engine issues on his Scross 1.6.

My Figo showed up with fuel injector issues after the Malfunction indicator Light came up last week. Costing me close to 70k for replacement. And it's out of warranty
Sangre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 23:12   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverm View Post
Brilliant ownership thread, planning to pick one up.
what app are you using on android?
Thanks Daverm, yes please do pick it up, its a fantastic choice. I use an app called Fuelio, I find it quite good with just the right amount of information which I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is an excellent choice. Badly under rated by our Indian consumers. One of the best "cult" offerings from Maruti. Wish you many miles in it because this car will become a sought after classic some years down the line.
Thanks Shankar. Yes it is a wonderful car, I had booked the 1.3 for me but fate had other plans (good one in this case ). I know you love the 1.6 as your comments across the official review thread indicates. Hopefully it does become a classic if and when I decide to sell, as of now plan to keep it for a long time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
Congrats on a wonderful purchase! Enjoy the car to its maximum ! I'd buy it if I could afford it right now

Hope you've not neglected this. It could be a sign of something more sinister. Get it thoroughly checked if you've not already done it, while it's still under warranty. Do check out the other thread by 100BHP on the engine issues on his Scross 1.6.

My Figo showed up with fuel injector issues after the Malfunction indicator Light came up last week. Costing me close to 70k for replacement. And it's out of warranty
Hmmm, if you can wait to have some moolah and go for it.

The check engine light came again last Friday so took it to the service center and they told that there was some probable dust accumulation in the sensor and cleaned and told me it should not recur. However, it did come back yesterday night so took it to the service center today. Also, Anurag (a4anurag) on team bhp pointed out that it would be an issue with the brake switch, so informed that to the service center. They also acknowledged the same and changed it under warranty. Hoping that this particular issue has been laid to rest!!
Old 26th June 2017, 16:03   #83
Senior - BHPian

Got wheel alignment and balancing done for my car today as I did not do it for the 20,000 service at the maruti service center. 3 wheels required balancing with loads of around 40 gms each while one indicated normal when the existing weights were removed.

Also, the guy who did the balancing told me that you have to either stick the weights on the side of the wheel or under the rim and the balancing weights of the 10k service had both the types of weights, which is not how it should be done. Is this right?

Total cost came to 950 rupees for alignment and balancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Aren't the weights for alloys stuck on the inner side of the rim?

For steel wheels it is on the lip of the rim.

Don't know what he is trying to convey.
Yes. He showed me weights which were stuck both on the inner side of the rim and the lip of the rim as well for the same alloy :(

Last edited by arvind71181 : 26th June 2017 at 16:27.
Old 26th June 2017, 16:18   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Also, the guy who did the balancing told me that you have to either stick the weights on the side of the wheel or under the rim and the balancing weights of the 10k service had both the types of weights, which is not how it should be done. Is this right?

Don't know what he is trying to convey.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 18:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

Had visited Mysore sometime back and one of the visits was to the Somanathapura temple near Mysore. Some pictures below from the visit. My views: A fantastic temple with great intricate details. This visit has firmed up my plans to visit Hampi/Belur and other surrounding temples sooner rather than later

Had to wait close to 20 minutes overall to get the photo without anyone in it
The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4463.jpg

Great detail, sculptures seem disfigured though
The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4418.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4419.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4421.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4425.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4426.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4428.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4429.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4430.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4432.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4434.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4436.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4438.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4439.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4440.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4443.jpg

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-img_4446.jpg
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 19:01   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A fantastic temple with great intricate details. This visit has firmed up my plans to visit Hampi/Belur and other surrounding temples sooner rather than later
The first one which depicts the full temple is beautiful! Very much in line with what you would love to do with the car. Munch miles visit places and with the car being the most supportive and least of a botheration to maintain. The S-Cross is the just the ideal for that. Good going!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 12:57   #87
Senior - BHPian

Got my aukey DR 01 dash cam last week. Installed the same the weekend in the car. Costed around 5500 when bought in the US. The quality looks good, both day and night. For a 10 minute video at 1080p it consumes 1 GB of memory. I have a 64 GB card so it should be fine for now. It has loop recording as well with a max duration of 10 minutes so videos are saved at 10 minute intervals.

Have to find a good software to reduce the size of the videos for uploading. Any suggestions? The wiring was done by VV decors near Sathyabama college and they did a very good job for 200rs. Have only a couple of pics, sharing them.
Attached Thumbnails
The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-1498720022075.jpg  

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-1498720046951.jpg  

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-1498720068357.jpg  

arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 11:15   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I do not think there is any thing wrong with the way it was done. I did my wheel balancing at Madhus Bangalore on 23/06. The Road Force machine was used. The machine points out the weight to be used, the position to be used and also mentions if it should be done on the inner side or outer side of the alloy.

Check the image below, if the machine indicates the portion in red rectangle - the weights should be in the outer side of alloy and if the machine indicates the portion in green rectangle - the weights should be in the inner side of alloy.

The Sleeper | My Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Alpha | 140,000 kms completed-road-force.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

For steel wheels, Yes - it is on the lip of the rim.

For alloys wheels, No - the weights can be on the inner or outer side of the wheel depending on what the balancing machine suggests. I had done it last week and my older weights (from a different balancer) were also put in both places and the new weights were also put in both places based on the machine's suggestion.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 11:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I do not think there is any thing wrong with the way it was done. I did my wheel balancing at Madhus Bangalore on 23/06. The Road Force machine was used. The machine points out the weight to be used, the position to be used and also mentions if it should be done on the inner side or outer side of the alloy.

For steel wheels, Yes - it is on the lip of the rim.

For alloys wheels, No - the weights can be on the inner or outer side of the wheel depending on what the balancing machine suggests. I had done it last week and my older weights (from a different balancer) were also put in both places and the new weights were also put in both places based on the machine's suggestion.
Thanks for the clarification Vigkey, helps a lot!! However, the type of weight was different. The MASS had one set of weights on the lip of the rim (which sticks on to the outside) like it is done for steel wheels and one set inside the other type of weights (the square shaped ones). Is that also ok? If yes, then one less thing to worry about
Old 30th June 2017, 11:46   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Vigkey, helps a lot!! However, the type of weight was different. The MASS had one set of weights on the lip of the rim (which sticks on to the outside) like it is done for steel wheels and one set inside the other type of weights (the square shaped ones). Is that also ok? If yes, then one less thing to worry about
In that case, I feel something is not right

For me, the weights used were the same type but stuck in different position based on the machine's suggestion. If the weight to be used in steel wheels were used in alloy wheels, it needs to be taken care of - as per my limited knowledge in this topic.

Name:  Wrong Method.PNG
Views: 1071
Size:  514.6 KB

Last edited by Vigkey : 30th June 2017 at 11:50.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed