Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 11:50   #121
BHPian

Re: My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi - The Mile Cruncher: 79,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Very common and normal. 1.5 TDCi in Figo, aspire and ecosport smoke a lot under heavy acceleration. If you drive spiritedly, you will see plumes of smoke in second and third gear at high RPM.

The problem is not specific to a car, it's the tuning which i feel is done towards mileage causing the engine to smoke when pushed hard.

I've given up trying to get it fixed on my ecosport.
Does a new air filter or changing to fully synthetic oil helps? I believe engine decarbonization won't do any miracles. FASS said its 'NORMAL' for a diesel engine!

Sometimes I feel embarrassed seeing this black smoke!!!

Last edited by SDP : 23rd March 2020 at 09:36. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd March 2020, 01:21   #122
BHPian

Re: My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi - The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
Now to the burning issue:
I have been reporting excessive engine oil consumption to the service center for the last four visits (starting at the 80K KMs service). The Figo has been put under observation since then. Now, I am in a bit of a dilemma whether to go for the engine overhaul or not (I am a little apprehensive actually, what if opening up the engine would cause more harm than actually fixing the issue? 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' situation). Should I go for the overhaul?
What have you finally decided? If I were in your shoes, I would have gone for that engine overhaul. This kind of oil consumption is not normal, sooner rather than later the engine will give some other issues (back compression/ starting issue etc). With a new engine, you will have peace of mind for the next 100k km at the minimum. Since this will be under warranty, I would insist on getting a new half engine rather than overhauling the existing engine.

We own a 2016 Ecosport TDCi (same engine as your Figo), that has done close to 70k km. Since the beginning, I have been monitoring the engine oil levels. There is slight oil consumption, but that was since the beginning & hasn't increased over time. When did you first notice excessive oil consumption?

Here are some photos of the oil dipstick at various odometer readings:

At 29500 km (500km before oil change):

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-oil-level-ecosport-29k-km.jpg

At 47300 km:

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-oil-dipstick-37k-km.jpg

Latest photo I clicked today, odometer reading at 68600km (400km till the next oil change as the last oil change was done at 59000km):

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-oil-dipstick.jpg
chiranjitp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 01:00   #123
BHPian

Quote:
I have been reporting excessive engine oil consumption to the service center for the last four visits (starting at the 80K KMs service). The Figo has been put under observation since then. No concrete conclusion could be arrived at till the 1.1L KMs service. But, during the current interval, the car has been consuming excessively high amount of the oil. I visited the service center couple of weeks back (Odo 116000KM) and 2 litres of oil was topped up. That's quite a lot. The service manager suggested to run the car for about 1000KM and bring it for a check up. They were pretty sure that I will have to go for an engine overhaul to fix the issue and the overhaul will ensure long term health of the engine.
As far as the performance of the car is concerned, it's running absolutely fine currently. Now, I am in a bit of a dilemma whether to go for the engine overhaul or not (I am a little apprehensive actually, what if opening up the engine would cause more harm than actually fixing the issue? 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' situation).
Hey Praveen,

How are you doing?

So, did you find the fix to this ? Have you gone for the overhaul?

I also own a similar sample as yours which has run 40k Kms now and got the 4th service done in March. Post which, the running has been low due to the situation around. Now, I feel the engine to be a bit coarse and rough. Also, I feel it a bit sluggish and jerky in lower gears. Any particular thing to look out for.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th July 2020 at 10:03. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Gran_Tourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 12:54   #124
BHPian

Quote:

Now to the burning issue:
I have been reporting excessive engine oil consumption to the service center for the last four visits (starting at the 80K KMs service). The Figo has been put under observation since then. No concrete conclusion could be arrived at till the 1.1L KMs service. But, during the current interval, the car has been consuming excessively high amount of the oil. I visited the service center couple of weeks back (Odo 116000KM) and 2 litres of oil was topped up. That's quite a lot. The service manager suggested to run the car for about 1000KM and bring it for a check up. They were pretty sure that I will have to go for an engine overhaul to fix the issue. Should I go for the overhaul?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post

We own a 2016 Ecosport TDCi (same engine as your Figo), that has done close to 70k km. Since the beginning, I have been monitoring the engine oil levels. There is slight oil consumption, but that was since the beginning & hasn't increased over time. When did you first notice excessive oil consumption?

Latest photo I clicked today, odometer reading at 68600km (400km till the next oil change as the last oil change was done at 59000km):

Before going for Engine overhaul or opening the engine, I'd suggest you to use Liquimoly Ceratec during the next oil change. Please do not use any kind of flush before removing the old oil, even if some residual old oil is present, it is okay! If there are any imperfections near the piston rings, the existing old oil carbon deposits and ceratec will fill up the space. I noticed my Qualis which ran 4,24,000 kms consuming about 1 L oil in between every oil change , the only mistake I made was, I used engine oil flush during one of the previous oil changes, ever since I had been facing that issue. I read about Liqui Moly ceratec on this forum, based on many user reviews, I blindly went for it, After using ceratec, the car did Hyd to Karimnagar (350 kms round trip), Hyd to Srisailam (440 kms round trip) and also about 1000 kms in the city and outskirts. I did not notice any consumption of oil, the level of oil on dipstick is showing full.

I wouldn't open the engine if I don't face serious issues like back pressure (open the oil dip stick and check if there's any smoke coming from it); low pick up, low fuel efficiency, heavy white smoke from exhaust or a compression test of all 4 cylinders. Ask your service center people to run a compression check on the engine and check how much psi should it be and how much you car is showing. That will determine if you should go for an engine overhaul or not. Also please monitor coolant level in the reservoir all the time when car is consuming engine oil.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 26th September 2020 at 13:08.
WhiteSierra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 20:16   #125
BHPian

Date: 03.03.2021, Odometer: 126600KMs
Occasion: The Figo's about to 'go under the knife' finally!(Placed the car at the service centre for engine overhaul)

I would have made this decision last March/April itself but for the nightmare called COVID19. I could take the car to service centre for the 1.2lakh KM service only in July, 2020. Regular service with engine oil, air filter changes, other fluids top-ups etc were completed by the service centre. I enquired about engine oil consumption and the service advisor confirmed that the car needed engine overhaul. But they advised me to come after the lock down is lifted and parts supply chains are restored (apparently their parts supply source in Chennai was badly affected by the lock down).

I took the car to service centre on 11.02.2021 (odo ~125600KMs) as engine oil level was really low on the dip stick. 2.5litres were topped up!!. This time they said supply chains have been restored and advised me to place the car with them for assessment as soon as possible. And that day finally came on 27.02.2021. I interacted with the service manager and took the final call after he reassured me that overhaul is indeed required for engine's longevity.

The procedure: The service centre sent an email to Ford briefing the Figo's service history and the current issue. They got a confirmation email from Ford(the service advisor told me Ford's RSM does this correspondence) today authorising engine overhaul under warranty. Now, the overhaul work will begin and is expected to be completed in a couple of weeks.

The service advisor said they would also replace the timing belt in the process. The condition of clutch and suspension will also be assessed and necessary parts will be replaced. I have asked them to clean EGR valve as well. I will have to bear the cost of timing belt, clutch and suspension parts.

I am hoping for the best. Fingers crossed!
espraveen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 17:42   #126
BHPian

Went to the Service Center today. Engine overhaul is under process. The engine has been dismantled and kept separately in the 'Engine Room' of the service center:

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img20210311111523.jpg
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img20210311111520.jpg
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img20210311111528.jpg
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img20210311111535.jpg

The technician working on the engine told me that cylinder pistons along with rings will be replaced altogether (they are worn out and that is the primary reason for excessive oil consumption as per his assessment) :
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img20210311113755.jpgMy Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img20210311111935.jpg

The technician said that even valve tappets will be replaced as they are worn out too(missed taking pictures of tappets).
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img20210311111842.jpg

EGR Valve is clogged up quite a lot and that would be cleaned as well:
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img20210311114049.jpg
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img20210311114035.jpg

Although clutch did not feel like it has reached the end of its life while driving, it was still worn out considerably. Clutch assembly will be replaced as well:
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img20210311113830.jpg

Once engine overhaul is completed, the condition of suspension will be assessed and necessary work will be done thereafter.

All of this might take another 10-14 days as per the service advisor. I am in no hurry as well. I told him there are no time constraints from my side and quality of work is sacrosanct. I will visit the service center again after a couple of days.
espraveen is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 19:22   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi

It is surprising that engine critical components have worn out as early as 1.26 lakh km. Is it an one-off case or a common thing with the 1.5 tdci?

Personally, we used to have a 1.33 lakh km Ciaz and a 1.76 lakh km rapid diesels. Both were pristine as far as engine condition was concerned.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 20:20   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Hi

It is surprising that engine critical components have worn out as early as 1.26 lakh km. Is it an one-off case or a common thing with the 1.5 tdci?

Personally, we used to have a 1.33 lakh km Ciaz and a 1.76 lakh km rapid diesels. Both were pristine as far as engine condition was concerned.
This is an issue with a particular batch of early 1.5 TDCIs. The piston rings on these were faulty and wear out early on in their life. Seems to be a material failure since the oil consumption in most cases starts after 60-70K km and worsens by 1L km.

I know another Ford Figo 1.5 TDCI facing the exact same issue and symptoms at around 1.18L km. The owner in fact got in touch with me for the same and I forwarded this thread to him.
vishy76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 18:30   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
.. It is surprising that engine critical components have worn out as early as 1.26 lakh km. Is it an one-off case or a common thing with the 1.5 tdci?..
It seems like an issue with piston rings for a few of the initial batches of 1.5TDCi engines. I hope the current batches are doing fine (surely Ford must have done something to fix the issue)
espraveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 19:53   #130
BHPian

I own a January 2017 sample but has run only 48k as of now. I haven't noticed oil levels going below the recommended levels at any point.

Only time will tell the true story though as I clock more kms, but it seems I should be keeping a monthly check of the same.
Gran_Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 20:37   #131
Senior - BHPian

Been getting some valuable insights here, and have been inspecting oil level on mine, so far so good. Can't wait to read your insights after the rebuild.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 11:07   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Went to the Service Center today. Engine overhaul is under process. The engine has been dismantled and kept separately in the 'Engine Room' of the service center:

The technician working on the engine told me that cylinder pistons along with rings will be replaced altogether (they are worn out and that is the primary reason for excessive oil consumption as per his assessment) :

All of this might take another 10-14 days as per the service advisor. I am in no hurry as well. I told him there are no time constraints from my side and quality of work is sacrosanct. I will visit the service center again after a couple of days.
Apologizing beforehand for the multiple questions that are going to follow.

How much damages to the pocket? Has ford given you a reason for wearing out of the piston rings so early in its life(70k km)? Is ford giving any discount on the job being done or your paying the full cost?

I assume doing this overhaul might cost alot in terms of labor charges in FASS vs a FNG, isnt a short block replacement a more reliable way? The price on boodmo for the 1.5tdci short block is 36,617/-(without shipping).

I too have oil consumption in my 1.5tdci fiesta and your fate is really worrying me. Please do keep us posted about the post repair driving experience.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 26th June 2021 at 11:24.
Old 28th October 2021, 01:31   #133
BHPian

Quote:
It is said that familiarity breeds contempt. But that ain't the case with my Figo TDCi. I have completed almost a year and 37,000 KMs of ownership of the Figo so far and I can wholeheartedly say that my growing familiarity with the Figo has only increased my liking for it!!
Hi espraveen ! Although we have interacted over other threads, its a pity that I have bumped into this thread of yours so late. Subsequently will go ahead and read up the whole thread in a couple of days.

Your figo looks fab!

The only upgrade to my figo 1.5 tDCi has been 195/60 R14 tyres of Yokohama S. drives. But now I am planning to go for the eagle f1's of the 185/65 R14 types. The 195 section tyres don't really impress me anymore, plus the car seems to have too much grip and a bit less fun
shourya_lahiri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 00:50   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shourya_lahiri View Post
Hi espraveen
The only upgrade to my figo 1.5 tDCi has been 195/60 R14 tyres of Yokohama S. drives. But now I am planning to go for the eagle f1's of the 185/65 R14 types. The 195 section tyres don't really impress me anymore, plus the car seems to have too much grip and a bit less fun
How much have the 195 section done?

I upgraded to 185/65 R14 on day 1 and I found them to be a perfect balance of ride and handling. I agree that the 195's must be making the drive experience dull.
Old 1st November 2021, 01:05   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Tourer View Post
How much have the 195 section done?
I agree that the 195's must be making the drive experience dull.
They have done close to 40k already. With still a lot of life left. Yes the 195's have actually made the experience dull. Its a very controversial topic this, reg the tyre size upgrade for the new figo. Mainly because the OEM size just doesn't do any justice to the capabilities. I went for a unique size and I sure had a lot of fun pushing the car through turns and all, initially. The sudden jump in steering heaviness and grips impressed me. But as time passed, I have realized it has taken away a lot of fun. To be honest, when later i drive a OEM spec figo, I found it to provide better feedback! Yes grip is much less, but too much of it doesn't help either. It seems the EPAS system is tuned better for that size. Its a personal preference though. I want my car to go a bit out of line sometimes . Your size upgrade I think is the perfect one, has been like this with previous fords in India as well.
Must sound funny that it took me 40k kms to realize this though. Reason behind this being, that I stay away from my vehicle for the greater part of the year. I'll update here, my experience once I downgrade my tyres, which will definitely be not before March 2022, as this is one of those times when I am at sea (literally )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks