Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2017, 14:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi - The Mile Cruncher: 79,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
It's been quite some time since the last update. Just thought of updating the recent FE figures(Tankful method using the Fillup App). The figures might suggest that I'm a sedate driver, but that is far from the truth
Impressive figures for a car that is not babied! Acquired a Figo TDCi Titanium recently in the same White color as yours. Done only ~300kms in the last 5 days but enjoying the car already. Waiting for the first 1000kms to get over soon to take it on long drives.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 20:43   #32
BHPian

Preparation for the Indian Summer : Installed magnetic sun shades. Fit is OK for the front windows. Rear windows fit is a bit below par. Front ones have zips for practicality. Ordered from Amazon. Cost Rs.1049/-
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20170329_160031.jpg  

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20170329_160155.jpg  

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20170329_155919.jpg  

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20170329_155854.jpg  

espraveen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 01:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
C

While a switch to the 5K KM interval per se is probably good for the engine but it would also prevent any possible underlying issues (like engine gulping more than required engine oil) from cropping up. And if any such issue is to crop up, it should arise while the vehicle is under warranty (mine is under 1lakh KM/4years warranty) and not after the warranty has expired. If we take more than required care of the car during warranty, it may lead to issues being suppressed longer, away from our notice, thereby wasting warranty benefits.
That's one very interesting and genuine advice. Even here, in Delhi, Ford SA told me no to worry yourself with 5k kms happy pocket service as long as 4 year 1 lakh km service is valid. He said, if you want to do it for satisfaction and long term smoothness in engine get it serviced every 8k kms. That's what I am following now. (Car : Ecosport)
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 07:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
... Acquired a Figo TDCi Titanium recently in the same White color as yours...
Congratulations on your new Figo! Wish you loads of happy mile-munching ahead!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
.. He said, if you want to do it for satisfaction and long term smoothness in engine get it serviced every 8k kms. That's what I am following now. (Car : Ecosport)
8K KMs interval for Engine oil change was what my SA had also agreed upon when I was pushing for the 5K KM interval. I haven't switched to it yet, currently with the 10K interval itself!
espraveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 20:01   #35
BHPian

50,000KM service update :
Date - 14.04.17, Location - Lakshmi Ford, Vijayawada, Odo - 49996KM

Parts replaced (mandatory) : Engine oil, Engine oil filter,

Parts replaced/services taken out of choice : Brake pads, air filter, wheel alignment /balancing, engine bay cleaning

Total bill : Rs.6981/-

Complaints : Major -> none,
Minor -> feeble rattle from LHS front inside section when the car's passing through rough roads. The service people put a piece of foam inside the lines containing the wiring of the dashcam around the A-pillar section. The rattle seemed to have subsided during the test drive but has returned soon thereafter(by the time we reached home!) Got to work on it further.

One minor issue even I couldn't notice earlier was pointed out by the test drive person - there's a feeble vibration coming from the right side of the bonnet - headlight - fender area. They took the car to the body shop and made some minor adjustments to the panels around the RHS headlight/fender and the vibration has subsided. I am going to look out if it recurs going forward.

*Service centre goof up - they forgot to do wheel alignment! Luckily, I had noticed it and they promptly performed WA upon being reminded.

Keeping aside the minor rattles, the Figo has been absolutely hassle-free to maintain so far. Brake pads were good enough for another 10,000KM as per the SA, with a rider, though-->They may loose their bite over the last 4-5 thousand KMs of this extended stretch and the stopping distance may increase a little. I got them replaced to get rid of these doubts in the mind, this being a safety issue(I'd been anticipating to replace them at 50,000KM anyway).

The next wear and tear item I wanted to look at was the clutch. I thought the clutch was still in pretty good condition. And it was confirmed by the service centre people. We went for a test drive to look out for any niggles and the service guy found the clutch to be quite smooth. So, no change here.

Although I'm planning to replace the car's shoes (185/65 /R14 Michelins) in the next 1-2 months with 195/55/R15 Continental tyres (along with change of alloys to Momo Revenge or Neo Transformers ), the service center people were pleasantly surprised to find them in a condition good enough for another 20,000 KM (the Michelins have touched the 50,000KM mark as well!!)

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how the car's shaping up as it munches miles.

P. S. :There's a ~900KM round trip to Vizag on the cards this month-end. I'll be checking how the Figo is going to respond to spirited driving post the 50,000KM mark!

Odometer as on today:
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20170418_093323.jpg  

espraveen is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 13:13   #36
BHPian

Headlights update : I had swapped the stock headlights with Philips Xtreme Vision Plus 60/55W lights last August (Odo ~30,000KM). Now, the left headlight low beam went kaput 10 days back(Odo ~53,000KM)just a day before my family was about to go on a 1000KM round trip to Tirupathi. Where I am staying now (Khammam town, Telangana) I couldn't get Philips 60/55W XVPs, so had to go with Philips Rally 100/90W bulbs (cost me Rs.450/pair, way cheaper than XVPs). Just plug and play. The bulbs are pretty good (especially the high beam is very effective), but I'm a little apprehensive about the straightforward plug and play installation. I might go back to the XVPs soon.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20170515_182504.jpg  

espraveen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 19:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
but I'm a little apprehensive about the straightforward plug and play installation. I might go back to the XVPs soon.
Congratulations on such a trouble-free 50000 km!

You really should use a wiring kit designed for 100w bulbs else you risk burning the wires or bulb connector. It is a fire hazard so don't delay!
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 20:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but I'm a little apprehensive about the straightforward plug and play installation. I might go back to the XVPs soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
You really should use a wiring kit designed for 100w bulbs else you risk burning the wires or bulb connector. It is a fire hazard so don't delay!
As Motard Blr has mentioned, the wiring will melt as the heat generated by the 100/90 bulbs is higher than the stock rated bulbs. Best to revert back to stock as soon as the trip is over if you are unable to do it midway and also avoid too much of night driving in high beam. There was also an issue with the Figo/Aspire headlamp plastics cracking up with stock headlamps itself. With the bulb upgrade it might tend to crack the headlamp sooner.

Do keep us updated on the trip and how the car handled the 1000kms round trip.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 00:19   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
.... You really should use a wiring kit designed for 100w bulbs else you risk burning the wires or bulb connector. It is a fire hazard so don't delay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
As Motard Blr has mentioned, the wiring will melt as the heat generated by the 100/90 bulbs is higher than the stock rated bulbs. Best to revert back to stock as soon as the trip is over if you are unable to do it midway and also avoid too much of night driving in high beam...... Do keep us updated on the trip and how the car handled the 1000kms round trip.
I've switched back to Philips Xtreme Vision Plus 60/55W bulbs. Thanks to online shopping!!

The Figo has been lucky to have Tirumala 'Darshan' twice so far (I couldn't make it to the trips on both occasions due to work commitments!). It was a family trip and my brother was at the wheel. He found the car to be quite capable of doing long trips. Only thing is, he found the clutch to be still a little bit on the harder (&longer) side and the gearbox to be slightly notchy even after crossing the 50K KM mark (he was at the wheel during the Tirupathi trip last year as well!).

Earlier this month, I went to Vizag (900KM round trip) and the fun to drive factor was explored and enjoyed thoroughly!!

And a mile-stone crossed yesterday (high fives from the Figo ) :
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20170530_095010.jpg  

espraveen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 08:11   #40
BHPian

Whenever a figo is at front of me while driving, I have noticed black smoke emitting out of its exhaust whenever it accelerates. I haven't found this so frequently in the old 1.4 diesel figo. A friend of mine also called me once that he found this behaviour during the drive to shimla. His friend in another car behind said that the figo was emitting smoke while accelerating. Is this common and normal?
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 08:35   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Is this common and normal?
In hilly areas, possible due to lower oxygen content causing improper combustion so black smoke but elsewhere in the country, if you see smoke continuously, get the car checked.

Clean the following possible to decrease the smoking issue:
  • Air filter (change if required),
  • MAF,
  • EGR valve and cooler
  • Intake manifold
  • Intercooler

PS: How much kms has the car run so far?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 09:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
In hilly areas, possible due to lower oxygen content causing improper combustion so black smoke but elsewhere in the country, if you see smoke continuously, get the car checked.
Sorry for not being clear . I own the previous generation figo. I notice black smoke several times when any other new generation figo is in front of me in traffic.

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th June 2017 at 16:49. Reason: Reducing the quoted post length. Smaller the better unless quoting any specific points :)
Old 5th June 2017, 09:58   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Whenever a figo is at front of me while driving, I have noticed black smoke emitting out of its exhaust whenever it accelerates. I haven't found this so frequently in the old 1.4 diesel figo. A friend of mine also called me once that he found this behaviour during the drive to shimla. His friend in another car behind said that the figo was emitting smoke while accelerating. Is this common and normal?
Very common and normal. 1.5 TDCi in Figo, aspire and ecosport smoke a lot under heavy acceleration. If you drive spiritedly, you will see plumes of smoke in second and third gear at high RPM.

The problem is not specific to a car, it's the tuning which i feel is done towards mileage causing the engine to smoke when pushed hard.

I've given up trying to get it fixed on my ecosport.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 16:53   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Praveen : I'm surprised I missed seeing this thread. Wonderful to note your long mileage stint with Figo. 50,000kms and no issues just proves the reliability of this engine

Great thread and will keep a look out for it now. Also, I'm particularly impressed with your service details shared. Valuable information!

Quote:
I notice black smoke several times when any other new generation figo is in front of me in traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Very common and normal. 1.5 TDCi in Figo, aspire and ecosport smoke a lot under heavy acceleration. If you drive spiritedly, you will see plumes of smoke in second and third gear at high RPM.

The problem is not specific to a car, it's the tuning which i feel is done towards mileage causing the engine to smoke when pushed hard.

Being an Aspire owner, I concur wholeheartedly. My Aspire also smokes under hard accelaration and I can practically see smoke fumes in my mirrors and I have to confess it's embarrasing

Someone please find a solution for it
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 17:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Being an Aspire owner, I concur wholeheartedly. My Aspire also smokes under hard accelaration and I can practically see smoke fumes in my mirrors and I have to confess it's embarrasing

Someone please find a solution for it
Joining the bandwagon with my Sports Aspire.

I have seen yellow board Aspire's smoke in low revs as well. I was surprised when I saw my brand new Aspire smoke as well.
I have noticed it is not just under hard acceleration, but also during normal acceleration , but not as much smoke as higher revs. I have noticed this during night when the smoke can been seen under the tailing cars lights.

If it is the tune of the engine that is causing this, was wondering if fixing an open, a bit more free breathing air filter fix the issue?
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed