Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2018, 23:04   #91
BHPian

re: My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi - The Mile Cruncher: 79,000 km up!

New shoes for the Figo:
Odometer reading: 75575KM

After thinking a lot about upsizing from the current 185/65/R14 Michelins (the Figo got them on day one itself) to 195/60/R14 tyres, I finally decided against it. I've been pretty happy with 185 section tyres. Only on rare occasions, during corner carving, I've felt a faint need for 195 section tyres. Moreover, 195 sections seemed like pushing the limits for the 14'' wheels. Another deterrent was the scant availability or rather unavailability of 195/60/R14s!! Hence decided to stick with the same size. Replaced the current Michelins with brand new 185/65/R14 Michelin XM2s yesterday. Also retained the best among the old tyres as the spare tyre(disposed off the existing not-used-even-once 175/65/R14 MRF spare tyre).
Observations post tyre change: Although the tyres still had a good 10K to 15K KMs left in them going by the tread depth, they seemed like they are past their prime condition post the 60K KM mark. This was confirmed during my 70KM drive after the tyre change yesterday. The ride was markedly smoother with improved grip levels. The belief that tyres should ideally be changed at the 50K KM mark irrespective of tread depth has only become stronger!!
Pics: Latest​ Odo reading and the new Michelins
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20180120_224033792.jpg  

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20180120_185135157.jpg  

Last edited by espraveen : 21st January 2018 at 23:11.
espraveen is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 00:22   #92
BHPian

Engine oil update:
Odometer - 79000KM
For the first time since I bought the Figo, I had to top up the engine oil. The engine oil dipstick gauge has about 13 bars and the oil level came all the way down to two bars, just above the minimum mark. I had checked the oil level at the 76000KM mark earlier as well. It was at the 6th bar back then.

Topped up with Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 part-synthetic oil (500ml). The level has shot up to the 6th bar now(almost the middle mark).

I am going to monitor the engine oil consumption rates more closely now. The car is running well though and there is no dip in the way it's accelerating!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20180226_231726828.jpg  

espraveen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 09:23   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
Engine oil update:
Odometer - 79000KM
For the first time since I bought the Figo, I had to top up the engine oil. The engine oil dipstick gauge has about 13 bars and the oil level came all the way down to two bars, just above the minimum mark. I had checked the oil level at the 76000KM mark earlier as well. It was at the 6th bar back then.
After seeing your post I too checked the engine oil level in our 2016 Ecosport TDCi, she has done around 29500km (last serviced at 20000km). In our case the oil dipstick was showing around 9 bars (out of the total 13 bars), so it seems like that the Ford TDCi engine does consume a bit of engine oil. Our Punto MJD used to have negligible oil consumption (up to 90k km) & Fiat only recommends oil change at every 15k km.

I guess your Figo has consumed around 700-800 ml of engine oil since the last oil change. I would advice you to have a word with your SA about the oil consumption during the next service, as you only have another 20k km of warranty left. I will also discuss with my SA about the oil consumption of these TDCi engines.

A photo of the oil dipstick that I clicked today:

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-oil-level-ecosport.jpg
chiranjitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 22:53   #94
BHPian

Re: My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi - The Mile Cruncher: 79,000 km up!

Odo update: 80,000KMs
Will be taking the Figo for service soon. I'll be enquiring about the availabilty of the front grill of Figo S. The black honeycomb grill sort of enhances the sporty character of the car in my opinion!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20180302_205618327.jpg  

espraveen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 13:30   #95
BHPian

80K KM service update(Lakshmi Ford, Vijayawada, Date - 10.03.2018):

Parts replaced - Engine oil, engine oil filter, sump plug gasket, air filter, AC filter.
Services taken - WA/WB

Issues/complaints: The car had consumed considerably more than expected engine oil during the 70K to 80K KMs interval. I raised the issue with the SA. The SA advised me to bring the car for a mid-interval check-up of engine oil level during the 80K to 90K KM interval. He said that they would take stock of the situation and act accordingly.

Remarks: The car has been running well as far as the 'feel' is concerned. The pick up is all right. The only concern is the engine oil consumption. Let's see how it pans out.

Date - 28.04.2018, Odometer - 84,000KM:

Two updates, one some what reassuring and the other quite disconcerting:
1. Engine oil check: I took the car to the service center(Lakshmi Ford, Vijayawada) to get a view on the engine oil levels. The level is at the 11th bar (max is 13th bar in the gauge). So far so good as per the SA. He still suggested that I take the car for another mid-interval check up at around the 86-87K KM mark. I will do that.

2. Powertrain malfunction warning lamp (wrench symbol). While I was returning from Vijayawada, for the first time in 84K KMs, the wrench symbol popped up (around 8.30PM, 30KM away from the service centre). I was cruising on the highway at close to triple digit speeds when it occurred. The car suddenly lost power(very little response to throttle input). I pulled up immediately. Opened the hood, couldn't find anything extra ordinary there. Went through the manual, which asks us to reduce the speed and avoid heavy acceleration or deceleration if this symbol continues to flash. Restarted after about 15-20minutes. The wrench didn't pop up now. The car was back to normal with throttle response restored. So I returned home(drove sedately though). I will be contacting my SA on Monday and see what needs to be done.
Old 29th April 2018, 13:53   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car suddenly lost power(very little response to throttle input). I pulled up immediately.
That means the car had gone into limp home mode. The ECU had put engine into safe mode.

Quote:
I will be contacting my SA on Monday and see what needs to be done.
Check what is the error code, don't forget it. I have seen many service centres simply deleting the codes and say the issue is resolved.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 22:53   #97
BHPian

Quote:
[b]Powertrain malfunction warning lamp (wrench symbol)......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
...Check what is the error code, don't forget it. I have seen many service centres simply deleting the codes and say the issue is resolved...
I took the Figo to Lakshmi Ford, Vjayawada, yesterday (current odometer 85000KM) to get the error codes regarding the powertrain malfunction warning lamp verified. The service advisor couldn't find any error code related to the powertrain module. He was not able to give a convincing answer as to why the symbol had popped up and the car went into limp mode. He assured me that there is nothing to be concerned about as the warning lamp didn't recur (It's been two weeks since the occurance and I've covered a few hundred kilometres in the meantime without any hiccups).

I am now left wondering what might have caused the warning lamp to pop up! Anyway, the car's running fine as of now. I will be visiting the service centre again at around 87000KM for a status check on the engine oil consumption. I will try to probe further on the powertrain malfunction issue then.

Last edited by espraveen : 13th May 2018 at 22:55.
espraveen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 19:52   #98
BHPian

Air Intake System update: My brother took the Figo to Goa last Monday and just before the start of the trip, he noticed that the air intake system pipe shown in the picture below wasn't properly sealed/tightened (at the point shown by the arrow). The area around the spot was a bit oily/greasy too. He tightened it and the trip was completed without any glitches.
What I am worried about is the service centre people couldn't notice it when I had reported about the powertrain malfunction error/excessive engine oil consumption few days back. Also, how did the pipe end up in this loose condition at the first place?!
Could this loose pipe be the reason for the Powertrain Malfunction error? I will continue with my enquiry in the next service centre visit soon.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-screenshot_20180603180858.jpg  

espraveen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 23:04   #99
BHPian

A milestone crossed!!

I will be taking the Figo for service the day after tomorrow. Have a few issues to sort out:
> The air intake system pipe that was found to be loose a few days back
> The more than expected levels of engine oil consumption over the last few months (could that loosened pipe have caused excessive engine oil consumption?!!)
>The front passenger side window wouldn't roll up when the passenger pulls the switch at their end (they can roll it down through), it's going up only when the driver side switch is pulled up!
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20180620_102012555.jpg  

espraveen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 23:31   #100
BHPian

Quote:
80K KM service update(Lakshmi Ford, Vijayawada, Date - 10.03.2018):

2. Powertrain malfunction warning lamp (wrench symbol). While I was returning from Vijayawada, for the first time in 84K KMs, the wrench symbol popped up (around 8.30PM, 30KM away from the service centre). I was cruising on the highway at close to triple digit speeds when it occurred. The car suddenly lost power(very little response to throttle input). I pulled up immediately. Opened the hood, couldn't find anything extra ordinary there. Went through the manual, which asks us to reduce the speed and avoid heavy acceleration or deceleration if this symbol continues to flash. Restarted after about 15-20minutes. The wrench didn't pop up now. The car was back to normal with throttle response restored. So I returned home(drove sedately though). I will be contacting my SA on Monday and see what needs to be done.
I have a Fiesta 1.4 Duratech Petrol. It will happen on very hot days, irrespective of speeds. It happened to me first 3 years ago, in dense traffic, i also did what you did, but it never happened again then.
Again, on a road trip to blore 2 years ago, did the same checks again, and after 10 mins, went on.
And last month, when i was stuck in traffic.
All the three times, it was afternoon (hottest time of day), outside temps +/- 40, AC on, car as hot as it can be.
So my Ford svc told me that it is most probably some sensor in the gearbox, which does this, when the gear box becomes too hot. He siad, i could get it changed for around 3K or just stop the car for 10 mins and go on again. I did not bother again, since the climate is cooling down, postponed it to next time.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 16:52   #101
BHPian

90,000KM Service update:
Date: 23.06.2018, Location: Lakshmi Ford, Vijayawada

Parts replaced/services taken: Engine oil, Oil filter, Fuel filter, Air filter(out of choice), WA/WB.
Took the Flexi Service Plan (Silver), paid Rs6479/- for it. It would cover for expenses during the next service as well. Paid Rs1800/- additionally for Fuel filter, Air filter and WB weights.

The service advisor said that the air intake system pipe can become loose at the joints as the car clocks miles. They ensured that it's properly sealed now. Lesson learnt - keep a regular watch on all the joints (at least the visible ones in the engine bay).

The car consumed around 800ml of engine oil between 80K and 90K KMs. This is not extraordinary as per the service advisor. He said the consumption levels are considered alarming if the engine consumes ~2litres during a 10K KMs service interval. However, I will be monitoring it closely (every 2K KMs) during the next interval as well.

The passenger side window switch which wouldn't roll up the window needs to be replaced (Rs700/-). I postponed it as the driver side switch is there to do the job anyway!

Battery is holding up well. Got sand paper treatment done to all the four brake pads.The front pads were replaced at the 50K KM mark. They still have quite a bit of life in them. Rear pads are still decent enough. Brake fluid and coolant levels are all right.

Pic: Rear brake system opened up
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20180623_160845296.jpg  

Last edited by espraveen : 24th June 2018 at 16:53.
espraveen is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 13:54   #102
BHPian

re: My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi - The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!

Odometer: 94400KMs
It's been a while since the last update. Thought I would jot down my observations on the Figo at this point in time.

> Reliability: I have been quite happy with the Figo on this aspect. The Figo has not suffered a break-down even once so far. Okay, the powertrain malfunction message did pop up once during a drive (at 84K KMs), but it went away after switching off the engine & restarting and hasn't recurred thereafter. No part(including wear & tear related parts) has failed before the expected replacement schedule. There was a concern about the loosened air intake pipe once post the 80K KMs mark, but that didnt lead to any break-downs and was fixed at the service centre. Overall, I am happy with the car as far as reliability is concerned.

> Performance: The Figo still drives like a brand new car, well almost. Of late, I have been getting this faint feeling that the pick-up has come down a bit and NVH levels have gone up by a small notch. EGR cleaning is due I guess. Should I push for EGR cleaning during the next service visit?! I am not quite sure!

> Mileage: It's hovering around the 20.5KMPL mark currently (tankful method). It used to be around the 21.5 mark during the first 50K KMs. I have been pushing the car a little bit more than earlier & that must have lead to the drop in mileage. I am quite happy with the mileage anyway!

> Puncture issues: Luck plays a strong role here. And the only times I've had break-down scenarios is due to punctures (About 5-6 puncture situations since Day1 of ownership, mostly due to nails & not to blame the quality of the Michelins here). Thinking about practising the puncture-repair DIY soon. I've bought the Michelin single barrel foot pump for the time being. Pictures attached:
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20180812_130824456.jpg  

My Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi -  The Mile Cruncher: 1,16,500 km up!-img_20180812_130807094.jpg  

espraveen is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 22:11   #103
BHPian

The nervous 90s!
A peculiar incident occured recently. There was a sound coming from the Figo while driving, more pronounced especially when coasting (it was like a rotating hard rubber part brushing against metal). I couldn't figure out for a couple of days as to what's causing the sound. And then, one evening, just before a drive, I happened to check if all the wheel nuts are OK or not and the fault/issue revealed itself. Couple of wheel nuts of front LHS tyre had become loose. I tightened them immediately and the sound was gone. The thread on the nuts and bolts seem to be all right. I am keeping a keen watch on all the wheel nuts ever since.
Although the car's running fine without any niggles, I am not able to be completely free from the tension of the nervous 90s (Extended warranty expires at 100K KMs, current odo reading is ~94500KMs)
espraveen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 20:18   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

That's some neat update running on your Figo. Am sure a lot of bhp'ians will be happy to the li'l Ford clocking a lakh kilometer without any major issues.

What's the plan - how long do you plan to keep the car?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 23:14   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
...What's the plan - how long do you plan to keep the car?
The Figo's going to stay with me for another 3-4 years at least, if it continues to be as reliable as it has been so far. The car has the looks of a smallish hatchback but doesn't feel like one while driving!
In my opinion, it is the slightly more powerful avatar of the darling of the Indian public- the Swift. It has the same traits that the Swift has - great mileage, reliable, low on maintenance, looks pretty good and is immensely fun to drive. If we Indians can't get enough of the Swift, then the Figo TDCi should be able to do just as well for me
espraveen is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks