Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2006, 10:28   #1
BHPian

New Petra 1.6 ELX

Hi guys, after months of deliberation and a lot of inputs from many of you, I have finally booked the Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX with Anuroop Goregoan. I am selling my current 800 DX and have received part of the money. Once the rest of the money comes in, I shall complete my down payment and hopefully within another week, the new car will be mine.
I have pm'ed many of you for your inputs and I would like to thank all of you for helping me choose this car.
It is a darkish shade of grey, called Moon Mist Grey. Fresh stock. After much nagging, the dealer has arranged the fifth alloy.
Not much of a discount; I get about 30k from the dealer. Some miscellaneous knick knacks like teflon coating and mud flaps.
I have made some feeble attempts at bargaining with the banks. What I found is that many banks try to take anyone and everyone for a ride. Rates offered to me varied from 13%(!) to 9.5%. In addition, some banks even offer discounts on the down payment. So, if you are going in for finance, speak to a number of banks and only then decide. Depending on the model, some banks offer upto 4% of the loan amount off from the down payment.
I must confess here, that I am doing all this with a twinge of remorse, somewhere deep inside. I know how most people sneer at the 800. My car is the smallest car in the office parking lot and on many days the only one. But still, the thought of selling this car is making me so sad, I often think of keeping it in one corner of the driveway.
That though is not an option. So, as in life, with happiness, there will be sadness. That is life.
So, when anything progress happens, I will post again. Thanks for the help once again, guys.
Old 14th October 2006, 10:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations mate.

My wife and I have not sold our 800. It still is lying around. Got our selves around to selling it. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 14th October 2006, 15:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

I can actually feel what you are currently feeling mate. i had the same kind of felling when i had to sell my esteem, ikon and more recently my m800.

but the new car smell makes u forget it completely.I click some pics of my previsious cars to remind me how much fun we had when we were together

Anyways mate cong. on the new car ENJOY

MANIK
Old 15th October 2006, 15:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Many Congrats Prabuddha on your great choice of Petra 1.6!
Am sure you would enjoy driving & owning this Italian beauty!!!
Old 16th October 2006, 13:00   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys for the wishes. Now as soon as I pick up the car, I shall post further feedback.
Old 16th October 2006, 13:10   #6
Team-BHP Support

Relocating this thread since it is not a What Car query.
Old 16th October 2006, 13:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
Thanks guys for the wishes. Now as soon as I pick up the car, I shall post further feedback.
Congratulations Prabudha. Enjoy!!
Old 16th October 2006, 14:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Relocating this thread since it is not a What Car query.
It isn't? I thought because Team Bhp had helped me decide What Car, that was where it belonged. Anyway, the moderators know best. Sorry for the bother. And thanks for setting it right.
Old 16th October 2006, 16:04   #9
BHPian

Congratulations. Indeed, quite bold decision.
Old 16th October 2006, 17:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
Congratulations. Indeed, quite bold decision.
WHAT do you mean? Trying to scare me? Jokes apart, I think it is a good car, but not marketed well enough.
Old 16th October 2006, 18:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
WHAT do you mean? Trying to scare me? Jokes apart, I think it is a good car, but not marketed well enough.
Certainly I didn't. I am happy that you are not considering resale as the top criteria and going in with the qualities of car. There is certainly no flaw in the car and you will enjoy the car at fullest. I said bold decision considering the fact that you are well aware with the resale of Petra and still going for this car.
Old 16th October 2006, 20:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
Certainly I didn't. I am happy that you are not considering resale as the top criteria and going in with the qualities of car. There is certainly no flaw in the car and you will enjoy the car at fullest. I said bold decision considering the fact that you are well aware with the resale of Petra and still going for this car.
That is in fact a result of my experience with my present 800. I bought it new in 2002 and have driven it extensively in Bombay. In fact, I have driven it almost every day and have covered over 55000 km. I have looked after it well. I have spent long hours with it. Basically, its been like a good friend to me.
Over the years, I noticed that its engine improved with use. For instance, earlier on, while it made a lot of noise if I tried 50kmph+ on the second gear, now it does 60 comfortably (I hate to try further).
But the rest of the car is not keeping pace. The suspension needs work. Body is beginning to rattle. So, when the engine is at its best, the rest of the car is past its prime. I am an old fashioned guy who believes in long term relationships, and to me there could be nothing as satisfying as a car to drive and have around for years. So, the Petra. Iknow my theory has its flaws, but then... as they say, The mark of a true gentleman, slightly flawed.
Old 17th October 2006, 09:28   #13
BHPian

Prabhuddhadg

Congratualtions. I too own the same model black ( I call her the panthera) and it's indeed a pleasure to drive the car especially on freeways. I love it when it is the first one to race ahead after stopping at signals and can overtake any car when speeding:-) and yet remains rocksteady. I out in 44kms daily and ever since I have started driving on the palm beach and using 5th gear most of the times she has given me an avg of 11kms/litre.
Old 17th October 2006, 11:31   #14
BHPian

[quote=shbhrao]Prabhuddhadg

Congratualtions. I too own the same model black ( I call her the panthera) and it's indeed a pleasure to drive the car especially on freeways. I love it when it is the first one to race ahead after stopping at signals and can overtake any car when speeding:-) quote]
Hope to see you some time at a signal.
Old 30th October 2006, 16:47   #15
BHPian

Update: trouble with financier

Just to bring you guys up to date on my new car deal- things are at a stand still. I have got into a deal with ICICI bank through a franchisee, since Anuroop (the dealer) did not offer a suitable deal. Now, this franchisee asked me to make the entire down payment through them, i.e., the dealer would receive the payment from the franchisee. So, I paid the franchisee, and waited.
Now it transpires that the franchisee is trying to take the dealer discount by not passing on the entire agreed sum to the dealer. So, the dealer is refusing to release the car though I have made my payment and ICICI bank has confirmed the loan amount.
Today, I had an argument with the franchisee, and I have told him I will cancel the deal, pay a penalty to ICICI bank and still be better off if I go to State Bank or HDFC Bank, (which is actually true; I was working on an excel sheet I had prepared for comparing deals).
So, its lying in limbo as of now. Any further update, you guys will be the first to know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks