Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2017, 12:29   #31
BHPian

re: Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline (2010). EDIT: Now 2,00,000 km up

Great Ownership thread.

Good see VW owners clocking high ODO in their cars.

I am at 110000 km on the ODO and running on stock clutch and shocks. The suspension change you have made is due to issues or due to wear?

The reliability that VW gives is what is helping me keep it even after 5 years of ownership.
Old 17th May 2017, 11:45   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
Additionally, I also had the gear oil changed. The gear shifts are much smoother now. The prior loss of smoothness raised a red flag. So much for a "life time" oil, more like the life time of the oil, rather than the car's.
What grade/specification gear oil did they use? And what is the quantity?
Old 17th May 2017, 21:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm View Post
Great Ownership thread.

Good see VW owners clocking high ODO in their cars.

I am at 110000 km on the ODO and running on stock clutch and shocks. The suspension change you have made is due to issues or due to wear?

The reliability that VW gives is what is helping me keep it even after 5 years of ownership.
Thanks. The suspension components had to be changed primarily due to wear, and some were wrongly changed by the mechanics.

The reliability has been great for me as well. I have never had to face any nasty surprises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
What grade/specification gear oil did they use? And what is the quantity?
The gear oil, for manual transmissions, is G 052 512 A2. There is no grade/specification mentioned. It comes in 1 litre bottles.

The gearbox takes a little over a litre. There is no fixed quantity, mentioned by VW. Upon filling it, when the oil quantity is sufficient, it starts to come out of the filler hole. That is when you stop, as per the service manual. The oil should be run through all the gears, for approximately 2 minutes, and should be filled again until it starts to come out of the filler hole again.

That is how much it should be filled.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th July 2017 at 15:13.
Old 1st June 2017, 21:19   #34
BHPian

I just had an unexpected experience. The rear right coil spring was a bit out of its place and had moved from towards the rear, at the top. It was tilted, rather than being vertically straight as it normally is.

I do not know how it happened, but it could have and would have come shooting out while driving.

Despite the top spring pads being fairly new, this happened. The right spring pad got crushed and torn due to the shift in coil spring position. I have had the pads on both sides of the rear end, replaced with new ones.

The observations (30,000 kms old pads vs new):

- There is a tremendous improvement in the traction/grip at the rear.
- The handling is greatly improved.
- The braking power is now enormous. The stiffness in suspension and tyres improves it always. Moreover, this is with the Euro-spec FS-III brake calipers and pads (factory installed).

As time goes by and I have these strange experiences, I end up finding out more and more about these intricacies.

P.S. This had the potential to have me killed, had the coil spring popped out at highway speeds. The slight knocking noises and then drooping rear right, while driving, had made me think something was wrong. I am glad I had it checked in a day. I was suspecting worn rear axle bushings, but this was unexpected.

Have you cars checked as soon as possible, when you suspect something is wrong. It can saves your live, and well as those of other road users.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 1st June 2017 at 21:21.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 21:31   #35
BHPian

Update - 1,20,000 kms done

The tyres have done over 7,500 kms now, with the rotation done at 5,000 kms. The tyres now have a square-ish profile, rather than the round profile, which was the case when they were new.

I tried out different tyre pressures at front and rear. 32 PSI at front, and 30 PSI at rear, against having 33 PSI all around. VW recommendation is 32/29 PSI, for this suspension type.

The handling has improved massively. The car was over steering with equal tyre pressure all around. It deals with undulations well, as opposed to noticeably pitching and bobbing at the rear with these softer Sportrac tyres, and defeating the purpose of this heavy-duty suspension setup, otherwise offering a flat ride.

The braking performance has now improved as well, more so after 32/30 PSI tyre pressure.

Dry grip is great. Wet grip is also good, but with C-drives the wet grip was greater than the good dry grip.

Something note worthy. These tyres seem to perform well in temperatures below 30°C. With higher temperatures, they tend to become even more soft. This adds some unpredictability to the tyres, and it seems they best suited for the European (summer) climate. Nonetheless, as the tyres are aging, they are gaining hardness, which is good for me.
Old 27th July 2017, 21:43   #36
BANNED

Why is the Volkswagen vento available for peanuts in the used car market.A 2012 vento diesel was available for 3.8 lakhs with a dealer and was in good condition.Have come across a few such instances.
Old 28th July 2017, 09:50   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update - 1,20,000 kms done
Thanks for the regular updates to this thread. I loved the Vento 1.6 and positive long-term experiences like yours show that every manufacturer can build reliable cars.

It's just the % of unreliable examples for every 100 Ventos that VW builds that affects their reputation. It's definitely higher than say, the % of problematic cars in every 100 Maruti Ciaz.

Glad your Vento has served you well .
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 15:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for the regular updates to this thread. I loved the Vento 1.6 and positive long-term experiences like yours show that every manufacturer can build reliable cars.

It's just the % of unreliable examples for every 100 Ventos that VW builds that affects their reputation. It's definitely higher than say, the % of problematic cars in every 100 Maruti Ciaz.

Glad your Vento has served you well .
I love to share the findings about the car, and any issues I encounter, for others hoping my posts are useful to them.

During the initial ownership years, I was not a member of this forum. Considering my own experience with this car, I actually thought of VW cars as very reliable, until I read about the issues detailed on this forum, by other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolajj View Post
Why is the Volkswagen vento available for peanuts in the used car market.A 2012 vento diesel was available for 3.8 lakhs with a dealer and was in good condition.Have come across a few such instances.
I actually looked up the prices on OLX, after reading your post. I could see a number of 2010 Highline TDIs for the price you mentioned. Is it the trendline variant you are referring to?

As you may be aware, the ex-showroom price for even the highline was very low in 2010 and some following years, as compared to the current prices. It was about 9.24 lakhs, ex-showroom in Delhi, in 2010. That also plays a part in the prices in the used car market.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 28th July 2017 at 15:45.
Old 7th August 2017, 23:27   #39
BHPian

Update

The second battery refused to crank the engine, after battery low warning popped up on the audio player's display. I managed to get it jump started, and it cranked on the first try. It seemed to have gotten charged gradually. It got me through the day, but the cranks got longer.

I got it checked at two other places, and it had to be jump started again. At that point of time, it refused to be charged even after driving around for about an hour.

This battery lasted for about 70,000 kms, over 3 years of time.

Anyhow, I was forced to buy a new battery. It is Amaron Flo 66 Ah, due to absence of a 60 Ah variant in the similar product range. 6 Ah increase is fine, and should not put strain on the alternator.

The new battery cost me Rs. 4600, after deducting the price of the old Varta 61 Ah battery. Checked with four dealers, and all were offering it for pretty much the same price. The thing that made me really happy was the manufacturing date, which is July 2017.

I then indulged in a small DIY to correct the casing around the battery, that was put on upside down. I had to remove the battery, and reinstall it for this, as the casing was stuck and refused to come out.

The ordeal did not end here, as the bolt for clamping down the battery fell down into the engine bay. It was a real challenge to get it out, as I was forced to remove the fog lamp covers, lower grille, battery (again!), and the plastic sheet under the engine.

Finally, after put everything back on, and began typing this post!

Last edited by halfbytecode : 7th August 2017 at 23:30.
Old 8th August 2017, 09:48   #40
BHPian

After installing the new battery, I realized the auto power window function was not working. I had to hold up/down the buttons to operate the power windows.

I had to hold down the power window switch until five seconds after the window was completely down, followed by immediately holding up the button until five seconds after the window got back up. I had to do this for all four windows. The auto power window function now works as before!

Thanks to an online resource, I came across on Google.
halfbytecode is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 18:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After installing the new battery, I realized the auto power window function was not working. I had to hold up/down the buttons to operate the power windows.

I had to hold down the power window switch until five seconds after the window was completely down, followed by immediately holding up the button until five seconds after the window got back up. I had to do this for all four windows. The auto power window function now works as before!

Thanks to an online resource, I came across on Google.
I had to face this same issue when I replaced the battery on my GT TDI. However the driver side auto up/down feature started working on the first time I restarted the car. The auto up/down on the other windows started working in a hour or so.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 15th August 2017, 00:05   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I had to face this same issue when I replaced the battery on my GT TDI. However the driver side auto up/down feature started working on the first time I restarted the car. The auto up/down on the other windows started working in a hour or so.

Drive on,
Shibu.
That worked once for me too, but not after that, for some reason.

Moreover, I disconnected the battery once more. I realized I did not have to hold the buttons for 5 more seconds after window roll up/down. Individually rolling the windows down and up, activated the auto power window function.
Old 19th August 2017, 21:22   #43
BHPian

Update

I completed a DIY air filter cleaning, similar to what VW folks do at the Inspection service. I took a look at the MAF sensor too, and it does have some dirt deposited in it. I need to clean that as well. I am trying to obtain the MAF sensor cleaner spray for that.

More details about the air filter cleaning: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4254508 (DIY: Volkswagen Vento TDi - Air Filter Cleaning)
Old 24th August 2017, 00:18   #44
BHPian

I just found out the Lemforder stabilizer links have gone toast in about ~10000 kms. I had high hopes from these, as Lemforder is the OEM for ball joints in these cars. The ball joints last for a long, long time and mileage.

Anyhow, I just had the service center guys look up the availability of 6R0 411 315 A. That seems to be discontinued, and superseded by 6C0 411 315. I have placed an order for those. They are not the aluminium stabilizer links that are present in the newer cars, but the solid steel type similar to how these Lemforder and TRW links look.

Interestingly, the VIN look up revealed that my car is supposed to have the 6C0 411 315 stabilizer links. The service center guys simply install the aluminium stabilizer links in older cars too, that are supposed to have the solid steel stabilizer links. Another goof up that can be avoided if they cross check the part number from VIN look up and the part in stock.

I should also mention that the original part number for the solid steel stabilizer links was 6Q0 411 315 N. That was what my car had factory installed, but those were discontinued a long time ago.

I am quoting my previous post, for reference.

Quote:
Update

I got Lemforder stabilizer links, as the knocking sounds did not go away after replacing the sway bar bushings. Additionally, there were "swooshing" noises seemingly originating from sway bar bushings, heard while cornering or driving through potholes. Apparently, bad stabilizer links consequently resulted in this.

With the replacement of stabilizer links, these noises are history. The car feels great with these. The suspension behaves just as on the first day of purchase of the car.

Lemforder part number: 25463 02
VW equivalent part number: 6Q0 411 315 N

Earlier, I had TRW JTS393 stabilizer links with the same equivalent VW part number. TRW ones did not seem to be of great quality, and they developed play in just ~12,000 kilometers of usage. The driving pattern was pretty much as earlier, and the VW factory fit ones lasted for about 55,000 kilometers.

P.S. These sway links are different than the ones in recent Polo/Vento cars in India, having part number 6R0 411 315. However, these Lemforder/TRW ones can be used in the newer cars too.

Last edited by halfbytecode : 24th August 2017 at 00:22.
Old 6th September 2017, 20:19   #45
BHPian

Update

The new OEM stabilizer links arrived today. They are made in Spain. Part number: 6C0 411 315

The quality of these is simply great. These are identical to the earlier stabilizer links with part number 6Q0 411 315 N. It seems only the part number has changed.

The differences after installing these -
  • Body sway greatly reduced
  • Traction significantly improved
  • Braking precision increased
  • Steering precision improved
  • Steering feedback is much better
  • Handling is simply great

The identical factory installed stabilizer links lasted for about 50,000 kms for me.

These cost me Rs. 2052 per unit.

The Lemforder ones had already developed play in about 10,000 kms of usage.

Pictures below. Credit to drom.ru for the second picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline (2010). EDIT: Now 2,00,000 km up-_20170906_195637.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI Highline (2010). EDIT: Now 2,00,000 km up-1501705429918_bulletin.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2017 at 16:16. Reason: As requested :)

Most Viewed