Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 1st December 2016, 00:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver

Lovely review buddy!!

Maruti 800 would be always special to me. I learnt driving in this car and happy to say that the car is still running well. We have a 1989 model and has run 4 lakh KM in 27 years. Engine was overhauled twice and running strong now. I hardly drive the car now. Dad runs the car daily for a 10 KM trip .
Attached Thumbnails
Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-img20161201wa0000.jpg  

Dr.Naren is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 11:32   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
My city runabout too. (M800 5 speed).
If only it had a better AC.
Mine came with brake booster, and heater.
Its always pleasure to know there are many more hidden experienced 5 speed users. Felt mine was sufficient though, i think it was serviced just before it was sold to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Fact which confounded others:-
Went to but a Alto VX, (in lieu of the Zen which was my city runabout then), ended up buying the M800, 5 speed.
It's a no non-sense choice for us, but somehow it always confounds others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Great review dude! Makes me want to buy it. That is the sign of a great review. Being born in the 80's , the M800 was always an aspirational car during those days.

The lightweight and the direct steering, the plaint ride, the compact size, all were its USPs in its era. It will always be an icon, the Beetle of India, the car that put India on wheels.
Thank you, it means lots to me.
It will be an icon, the legendary car that moved India.
And to drive a car with such history is a totally different feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Lovely review buddy!!

Maruti 800 would be always special to me. I learnt driving in this car and happy to say that the car is still running well. We have a 1989 model and has run 4 lakh KM in 27 years. Engine was overhauled twice and running strong now. I hardly drive the car now. Dad runs the car daily for a 10 KM trip .
Thank you so much.

It's those stories which made me buy the 800.
And everybody have one because at some point in their life 800 has been the mode of transportation to be in. Aspirational yet affordable.
Yours look lovely in white.
johannskaria is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 22:31   #33
BHPian

Excellent video Johann! I already saw this video before on YT before stumbling on your thread here. Honestly, when I first saw the title of the video, I wasn't very convinced. 16 year old car as a daily driver??? Noways man. But I have to admit you have made some excellent logical points. I am sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Costs 8% of a Renault Kwid's on-road price
THIS! Mind = Blown.

All the best for your future YT content. Hoping to see some classics too on your channel

P.S: Already subscribed!
Impala59 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 10:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala59 View Post
Excellent video Johann! But I have to admit you have made some excellent logical points. I am sold!

All the best for your future YT content. Hoping to see some classics too on your channel
Thank you so much.
Hopefully. But classics are hard to come by but I'll try.
An Abarth is in order next, test drove it to udaipur.
My jaws dropped and also loved clicking it.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNtvFQlhDux/
johannskaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 19:54   #35
BHPian

Hi Johann, any update on the car after the restoration process? Gladly waiting to see how the car turned out to be after the restoration
Tanveer02 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 21:39   #36
BHPian

I have been using a Maruti Omni as a second car. It has proven to be not so reliable, probably the particular car's fault. Combined with the lack of a/c I'm thinking of selling it off and thought about getting a new small car. But my mechanic suggested getting an 800 and I thought why not. So here I am and I'm very impressed. Might start looking next week. I'm from KL-08 as well. Cheers!
rohitnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 22:34   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitnp View Post
I have been using a Maruti Omni as a second car. It has proven to be not so reliable, probably the particular car's fault. Combined with the lack of a/c I'm thinking of selling it off and thought about getting a new small car. But my mechanic suggested getting an 800 and I thought why not. So here I am and I'm very impressed. Might start looking next week. I'm from KL-08 as well. Cheers!
If you are lucky enough to get a well maintained 5S 800 like Johann, then oh boy how impressed will you be with the car . We have two 5S 800s in our family and I never miss a chance to take them out for a spin. In today's day and age where cars are loaded with every sort of gizmos, driving a 800 with its close to nature dynamics in something which is a pleasure beyond explanation
Old 10th December 2017, 00:11   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer02 View Post
We have two 5S 800s in our family and I never miss a chance to take them out for a spin.
Two 5S 800s, that's awesome buddy. How about a detailed ownership review of both your steeds??

Quote:
In today's day and age where cars are loaded with every sort of gizmos, driving a 800 with its close to nature dynamics in something which is a pleasure beyond explanation
So true!! I have access to keys of a WagonR and dad's official rides, the SX4 and the Gypsy. The only cars which I love driving is my 5S 800 and the Gypsy.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2017, 00:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Two 5S 800s, that's awesome buddy. How about a detailed ownership review of both your steeds??
Maybe one day. Never say never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
So true!! I have access to keys of a WagonR and dad's official rides, the SX4 and the Gypsy. The only cars which I love driving is my 5S 800 and the Gypsy.
It is evident from your thread that how much love you have for your steed. And needless to say, my love and respect for the 5S 800 increased by leaps and bounds all thanks to the appreciation that you show towards yours. Have been a regular follower of your thread since it's inception and long before the idea joining Team-BHP even struck my mind
Old 11th December 2017, 12:25   #40
BHPian

Guys,

Moved to Pune for an year or two, I am planning to buy a used Maruti 800 for city run-arounds.

What should I check for when getting a 2004-2006 M800. It is okay if go for the older models too? Being an M800 and the fact that there is only so much that can go wrong in an M800, can I buy one with closed eyes if it looks maintained kinda okay?
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2017, 09:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
We among our friends always end up debating the need of a car in Mumbai when someone is buying a new one. One group say their places of work is inaccessible and takes a combination of transportations to reach, hence cars are a necessity. The other group advocates Ola/Uber advantages and narrates the chats they have with the interior designer/sales representative/film maker driver. As you would've guessed I’m a staunch supporter of the new car plan. In fact it’s never been so easy to own a new car with extended warranties, service packages, affordable installments and much more freebies. The discussions, even though are never ending get silent when food comes to the table.

So when I was researching for the next upgrade for my phone and zeroed in on the Galaxy series to update my ageing Lumia, no one thought this would be the final outcome. A call, the same budget and a day later, I was the proud owner of a 16 year old Maruti 800 and a Xiaomi phone!!!. (True story, still uses my Mi4i).The reactions were many. Are you mad? a 16 year old car? Maintenance will be like hell. There is no warranty. You'll get stranded some day. and much more.
Good review and here's to putting many more miles on the a car that literally revolutionised the concept of car ownership in India including mine. The 5 speed was special being the first "performance" model of sorts by Maruti. It was followed by the Alto 1.1 which however never did very well due to it's dismal mileage.

A California Gold 800 5 speed was my first car too when i started working and I owned it for 4 years (served as our family car for 4 years before that) and put 90k on it before I sold it off for a Swift. It was the car that I did my first mods on too having put a free flow exhaust (triggered by a leak in the OE exhaust), a universal K&N filter with custom DIY piping and 165R12 Bridgestone Potenzas on Aura alloys. The car was an EX without AC and I did not opt for retrofitting an AC for fear of loosing too much power.

I did not have too much luck with upgrading my bulbs to 100/80 as the relay kept shorting leaving the headlamps on even when the car was switched off. This may be down to poor workmanship but I would suggest you go down the route suggested by Leo.

The back pressure created by the stock exhaust was one of the things that I learnt through experience was crucial in giving this model the peppy low end poke and the great mileage.

The 3 speed MPFI engine also spelt the death knell for carburetors in India with Maruti swiftly equipping it's entire lineup with the technology having successfully tested it out on this model. And it's success to was it's doom as it was axed to ensure that it did not cannibalise sales of the 800cc Alto which in my experience somehow did not have the pizzazz of this model.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 13th December 2017 at 09:53.
shibujp is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote