Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2016, 03:26   #1
BHPian

Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver

We among our friends always end up debating the need of a car in Mumbai when someone is buying a new one. One group say their places of work is inaccessible and takes a combination of transportations to reach, hence cars are a necessity. The other group advocates Ola/Uber advantages and narrates the chats they have with the interior designer/sales representative/film maker driver. As you would've guessed I’m a staunch supporter of the new car plan. In fact it’s never been so easy to own a new car with extended warranties, service packages, affordable installments and much more freebies. The discussions, even though are never ending get silent when food comes to the table.

So when I was researching for the next upgrade for my phone and zeroed in on the Galaxy series to update my ageing Lumia, no one thought this would be the final outcome. A call, the same budget and a day later, I was the proud owner of a 16 year old Maruti 800 and a Xiaomi phone!!!. (True story, still uses my Mi4i).The reactions were many. Are you mad? a 16 year old car? Maintenance will be like hell. There is no warranty. You'll get stranded some day. and much more.

Check out my experience daily driving a 16 year old legendary people's car on the streets of Mumbai and beyond.

Things I highly dislike
  1. Insufficient headlamps – The stock headlamps are seriously underpowered for long highway drives. Upgrading them to 100/90 W bulbs with wiring harness and relays was the first thing on my list post taking delivery.
  2. Tyres – The tyres are as skinny as an anorexic model and limits your confidence to push the vehicle.
  3. Brakes – The earlier 2000 Maruti 800 models had insufficient brakes which led Maruti to fix brake boosters to the later production models. As a result my 800 has a little under powered brake. But a retro fit is in the pipeline.
  4. Grey interiors – I’m not a big fan of the grey and beige interior. It feels they literally suck the life out of me when I enter them. So expect a black upgrade sometime soon.
  5. Cup and bottle holders – I hate it when the bottle just moves around the car when I drive and make those silly noises. No plans to retro fit a cup holder though, it would just look weird.
  6. Flimsy glove box cover – The dashboard component of which I dislike the quality.
  7. 3 cylinder engine noise / exhaust note – Wish our government would legalise engine swaps!

Things I absolutely love

1. Costs 8% of a Renault Kwid's on-road price – I personally would prefer an 800 over the kwid anyday. The Kwid is a beautiful looking car with even 1.0 engine, but still!
  2. Worry free parents – The number of two-wheeler accidents in Kerala has made my family members quite anxious. So a four wheeler calm their nerves and helps them to sleep peacefully.
  3. Depreciation – What’s that? A good 3rd owner 800 still costs the same (price in the video) if not more.
  4. Maruti loyalty bonus – This benefit on its own recovers the cost of the vehicle, add to that the buy-back price at true value, you’ve got a good deal on your next Maruti Suzuki car. Ignis maybe?
  5. Maintenance cost – I’ve spent barely anything significant to maintain the vehicle in a year. The parts are so affordable, but their availability is getting constrained. In fact, the annual maintenance cost (labour+parts) was even lesser than a day’s Zoomcar/Myles cost!
  6. Friendly Neighbourhood Garage – For this I got to thank the Team-BHP recommendation. Devabhai’s expertise is second to none. And he patiently explains every doubt I have.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ur-mumbai.html

7. Cheap to insure – Despite my car being on comprehensive policy is still cheap and easy to insure.
  8. Made in Japan – Most of the parts visible in the engine bay has those golden letters engraved on them. No wonder these are damn reliable.
  9. Can park anywhere – If you get used to the non-power steering rack (It is light!) you’ve got a really small dimension car that can fit anywhere without tensions. You don’t have to worry about people stealing the badges or damaging the flaked paint job for which you paid extra or the idiot who backed up into your car while getting out of his parking space. Peace of mind guaranteed.
  10. Good seating position – It has a crossover-ish ground clearance and hence a good view all around.
  11. Central locking – It has a manual central locking, wherein you can lock all the doors from the driver’s seat by just extending the arm. Ingenious central locking idea by Maruti.
  12. Light clutch – Blessing in city traffic.
  13. Reliable and well build – Maruti = very reliable car. The plastics around the cabin have not made any rattling noise till date and still looks almost new when polished. Most importantly the vehicle have never left me stranded.
  14. Has a real bumper – Need to say more?

The car is now in Kerala after that roadtrip getting fully overhauled. Will keep you guys updated.

If you were looking for a fully obsessed and quality 800 review please speed to The love of my life: A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed

Disclaimer :- This is the first video I’ve ever made so apologies for any errors. Hopefully you guys have enjoyed it as much as I loved making it. I always was jealous of those brilliant auto reviewers and wanted to make something special for my 800. Also special mention to all my fellow Teambhp members & moderators who share informations to keep us on toes, please keep sharing and also to karan561 for his video reviews. Bought my 1st DSLR and a Gopro for this video as I’m little quality obsessed and the phone/YI cam videos were not cutting it. A DIY thread will soon follow as to the equipments and softwares involved in this inexpensive homemade production so that anyone can make them.

My Mi4i
Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-img_0053.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th November 2016 at 11:40. Reason: Fixing attachment insert. Awesome review :)
johannskaria is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 05:57   #2
BHPian

re: Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver

Awesome video. I often think that in most of our cases the "maruti 800 is the need, everything else is a want"....
deep_bang is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 13:14   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Awesome video. I often think that in most of our cases the "maruti 800 is the need, everything else is a want"....

Thank you.
It has all the basic requirement boxes ticked pretty well.
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 14:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations You have got youself a clean car, and for 25k, its a steal!! I loved your video review, have downloaded it in 1080p.

I also own a March 2000 M800 5 Speed DX.
Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-20161023_064950.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post

Things I highly dislike
  1. Insufficient headlamps – The stock headlamps are seriously underpowered for long highway drives. Upgrading them to 100/90 W bulbs with wiring harness and relays was the first thing on my list post taking delivery.

1. I have Philips Xtreme Vision Bulbs in the stock rating, and it does 80% of the work of a 100/90 setup. Costs 1200 for two bulbs in MGA. I'd also request you to remove the HL assembly, wash it, and dry it properly. You'll be amazed at the amount of dust which gets accumulated in that.

Quote:
  2. Tyres – The tyres are as skinny as an anorexic model and limits your confidence to push the vehicle.
  3. I guess the tyres are sufficient, unless you drive the 800 in Fast and Furious Style(momo gearknobs, eh??). If you want an upgrade, 155/65R12 is the size to go without any demerits. That's the rear size of a Tata Nano, and Bridgestone have a tyre in that size.

Quote:
  4. Brakes – The earlier 2000 Maruti 800 models had insufficient brakes which led Maruti to fix brake boosters to the later production models. As a result my 800 has a little under powered brake. But a retro fit is in the pipeline.
  5. I have recently installed the booster brakes. You'll need to tap a vacuum source from engine. I went for the new intake manifold way, which has an outlet for booster brake assembly. I won't recommend you the new manifold(it costs Rs 13k) as I did(its an obsession for me anyways). You can get a 2nd hand manifold, clean it, and then replace the exisiting manifold. Other options available to you-
    1. Drilling a hole in the existing manifold. There is a place marked in your manifold with some extra metal.
    2. Tapping vacuum using a "T" junction

Posting pictures of the booster install and part numbers

Booster Assembly
    Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-20161021_085629.jpg
    Part number
    Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-20161021_085653.jpg
    Part number of Vacuum Hose. You may use Alto's which is MGP and is cheaper-Rs. 150
    Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-20161020_171353.jpg
    Intake manifold and fuel rail removed
    Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-20161021_095317.jpg
    Old pipes replaced(Not a compulsory step, but you'll need RHS pipe atleast)
    Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-20161021_103429.jpg
    Post installation
    Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-20161022_202917.jpg

Note- I recommend you MGP spares. There is also one KBX kit(made by the same company BOSCH available for 4300, but they give you a simple vacuum pipe, without the vacuum hold check valve. And irrespective of what many people say, you do need that pipe in an 800.

Quote:
  6. Flimsy glove box cover – The dashboard component of which I dislike the quality.
  7. I agree. If its rattling, check if it has small conical cushions still installed or not. They come off very easily.

Quote:
  8. 3 cylinder engine noise / exhaust note – Wish our government would legalise engine swaps!
I somehow love the exhaust sound(provided its the authentic 5 speed exhaust you are using). All the MASSes are ignorant about the fact that 5 Speeds have different exhaust pipe. Once the 4 speed exhaust is installed, the note becomes pathetic.

Quote:

Things I absolutely love

[*]Made in Japan – Most of the parts visible in the engine bay has those golden letters engraved on them. No wonder these are damn reliable.
Wholeheartedly agree. Apart from the chassis and interiors, the whole mechanical setup is Made in Japan. Not only are they damn reliable, but they also cost a bomb to replace(if you are a psycho like me-SGP out, SGP in). Was recently checking out the price of oxygen sensors of cars-Was surprised that 5 Speed's oxygen sensor costs more than that of Grand Vitara!!!

Prices of O2 sensor of some cars-
Ritz-Rs. 1722
M800 4 Speed-Rs. 4600
Grand Vitara-Rs. 6300
M800 5 Speed-Rs. 9300

Hope you have a superb time with your 800.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 27th November 2016 at 14:51.
Leoshashi is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 19:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a lovely review there. Truly nostalgic. We had a brand new 800 (STD) in one of the red colors (forgot it's name) and it actually had a waiting period due to the color demand.

When I think back, I really loved the steering (though the steering feedback was a term I didn't know then) and ease of driving. Except for the brakes, everything seemed to be good and we had some long drives in that too, the longest being a ~300 kms drive. And the brakes would fade really bad in rains. Please make sure you use a lot of engine braking to get the best from the brakes.

Our car was a very good one and I still frown that my dad sold it to make way for a Wagon R but I never loved driving it like the 800; let alone not liking it, I HATED driving it every time I took it out. I had just started earning when the 800 was sold, else I would have bought it myself.

At 25K, you had a real steal deal man. I always wanted a 5-speed 800 when I started looking for a pre-owned one but I couldn't find a good one before I settled for the GTX. I wish the car is going to spend a good time with you and not gonna be sold soon. Wish you miles of happy motoring on the car that made car ownership affordable & happy for the middle class for a long long time.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th November 2016 at 19:53.
swiftnfurious is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 19:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's a lovely review there. Truly nostalgic. We had a brand new 800 (STD) in one of the red colors (forgot it's name) and it actually had a waiting period due to the color demand.
The colors in Maruti 800 were
1. Apple red(1983 to 1995)
2. Phoenix red(maroonish)(1997 to 2000)
3. Ruby red(2000 to 2003)
4. Solid red(2003 to 2014)

Leoshashi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 20:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
2. Phoenix red(maroonish)(1997 to 2000)
Phoenix red it is! Just realized that I myself had written a reference in my Swift's ownership thread.

Between, you look like having an immaculately maintained 800, the clean engine bay is a proof.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 20:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Between, you look like having an immaculately maintained 800, the clean engine bay is a proof.
Thanks a lot. Hope you have gone through the ownership review - Click to Open

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 20:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cheap to insure – Despite my car being on comprehensive policy is still cheap and easy to insure.
how much do you pay? What's the IDV, and most importantly, WHY?
Old 27th November 2016, 22:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
how much do you pay? What's the IDV, and most importantly, WHY?
The IDV remains constant at Rs 60,000/- with premiums around Rs 2,000.
I did not get the 'why?' question though.

Quote:
Thank you so much.
The red ones are very difficult to get though.

Quote:
Please make sure you use a lot of engine braking to get the best from the brakes.
I'm usually gentle with brakes, but will use more engine braking from now on!

Quote:
Our car was a very good one and I still frown that my dad sold it to make way for a Wagon R but I never loved driving it like the 800;
Ouch.

Quote:
At 25K, you had a real steal deal man. I always wanted a 5-speed 800 when I started looking for a pre-owned one but I couldn't find a good one before I settled for the GTX. I wish the car is going to spend a good time with you and not gonna be sold soon.
The minute I heard 25K, just said yes and transferred the amount the next day.
I too want to keep it till the day it becomes a classic car.
It's one of those few cars, fully mechanical, no power anything, very less things to go wrong and it's easy on you the same time. That's my kind of car.

Quote:
Congratulations You have got youself a clean car, and for 25k, its a steal!! I loved your video review, have downloaded it in 1080p.
Thank you so much.

Quote:
I have Philips Xtreme Vision Bulbs in the stock rating, and it does 80% of the work of a 100/90 setup. Costs 1200 for two bulbs in MGA. I'd also request you to remove the HL assembly, wash it, and dry it properly. You'll be amazed at the amount of dust which gets accumulated in that.
I will be doing that then.

Quote:
I guess the tyres are sufficient, unless you drive the 800 in Fast and Furious Style(momo gearknobs, eh??). If you want an upgrade, 155/65R12 is the size to go without any demerits. That's the rear size of a Tata Nano, and Bridgestone have a tyre in that size.
I love the rounded gear knobs of the city and the Jazz so badly wanted to have one in the 800.
Will seriously consider the tyre situation. It's that just because the car costed me that much I'm like 4tyres = 50% of the car cost. But i feel the upgrade is worth it.

Quote:
I have recently installed the booster brakes.
Thank you , was looking for info/fitting about brake booster all throughout.
Thanks again for the help.

Quote:
I agree. If its rattling, check if it has small conical cushions still installed or not. They come off very easily.
I haven't seen those for sure, Will replace those.

Quote:
I somehow love the exhaust sound(provided its the authentic 5 speed exhaust you are using). All the MASSes are ignorant about the fact that 5 Speeds have different exhaust pipe. Once the 4 speed exhaust is installed, the note becomes pathetic.

Hope you have a superb time with your 800.

Regards,
Shashi
I will recheck on that point too.
I'm loving every minute. No regrets whatsoever.

Last edited by johannskaria : 27th November 2016 at 22:31.
johannskaria is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 23:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations johannskaria for choosing the M 800 over all other cars. I am also the proud owner of a nearly 30 year old M 800 since 1987. Must really say I am proud of it. It has stood with me like a rock and has never let me down. I have not yet carried out any repairs worth more than Rs 8 K. Meant that the repair bill never exceeded Rs 8 K during a single visit to the workshop. It is sent on an average once a year to the workshop for general check-ups and not for anything serious.

Though I own other cars, this one gets a chance to be my daily driver for a week every month. It dons its original paint and I have made minimal changes to its originality. It is not because I like every bit of the car, but for the fact that I would like to see it in its original avatar forever.

Lately, insecurity is felt while on the move, as every other car is larger and safer as compared to the M 800. But the only consolation is that it is much safer than a two wheeler.

It looks weak and fragile but is an extremely tough car that takes lots of abuse with a smile. The spares are widely available and almost all the present generation mechanics have learnt to repair cars starting with the 800 or the Omni.

Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-img_20160808_145851668_hdr.jpg

Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-img_20160808_145901102_hdr.jpg

Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-dsc09549.jpg

Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-dscn2027.jpg

Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-dscn2028.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 00:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did not get the 'why?' question though.
I've not figured out if its worth getting comprehensive - the opinion here is generally against it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rs-old-so.html

my car will be 10 years soon, so was wondering!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 12:12   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I often think that in most of our cases the "maruti 800 is the need, everything else is a want"....
So true. After spending years in the antique Padmini & Ambassador, the first time I drove the Maruti 800, I was like 'wow, this is all the car I'll ever need'. What particularly impressed me then were the ergonomics.

Quote:
The IDV remains constant at Rs 60,000/- with premiums around Rs 2,000.
You sure about that? The 3rd party premium alone is 2,000 odd. Am also surprised you have an IDV of 60,000. My Jeep has zero book value according to insurance companies and currently has only 3rd party insurance (no one was willing to give it comprehensive coverage).
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 13:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Congratulations johannskaria for choosing the M 800 over all other cars. I am also the proud owner of a nearly 30 year old M 800 since 1987. Must really say I am proud of it. It has stood with me like a rock and has never let me down.

But the only consolation is that it is much safer than a two wheeler.

It looks weak and fragile but is an extremely tough car that takes lots of abuse with a smile. The spares are widely available and almost all the present generation mechanics have learnt to repair cars starting with the 800 or the Omni.
Thank You,
Let me start by saying how much I love your number plates.

It's these testimonials from owners that reassures me about my decision.
I just can't get it with any other car in the market especially if I want to use them daily on Mumbai roads. It's a beautiful feeling.

Add to that not much things go wrong, and even if it does you can call the local mechanic and he'll know what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I've not figured out if its worth getting comprehensive - the opinion here is generally against it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rs-old-so.html

my car will be 10 years soon, so was wondering!
I haven't looked so closely as the premiums were negligible.
will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing!
It's absolutely my pleasure.
From what I've seen, my age group wants everything new. So its refreshing and exciting to own a small part of Indian automobile history which i can drive and enjoy.

Quote:
What particularly impressed me then were the ergonomics.
It suits me very well too and add to that the solid mechanical feeling. Absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

Quote:
You sure about that? The 3rd party premium alone is 2,000 odd. Am also surprised you have an IDV of 60,000. My Jeep has zero book value according to insurance companies and currently has only 3rd party insurance (no one was willing to give it comprehensive coverage).
My TP premiums are around Rs 1,200/- and its Rs 1,400 OD basic. And my insurance company agreed to keep the IDV constant at that amount at my agent's insistance. Even it took me by surprise. Would request you to try National Insurance company, they've insured the car since day one.
johannskaria is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 14:11   #15
BHPian

The Maruti 800 is one solid car. I bought one in 1998 and used it daily till October last year, seventeen years of trouble free service. Drove 75,000 km including a drive from Ahmedabad to Trivandrum and back, several AMD-Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, and other Rajasthan cities. Very easy on the wallet, with no maintenance expenditure for several years in a row. Sold it to our maid who was eagerly waiting for me to dispose of it. They are using it happily for commute from Ahmedabad to their village about 70km away. Loved to drive in the congested old Ahmedabad without a care about autos and other vehicles. The passing of an era.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed