Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2016, 16:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
The Maruti 800 is one solid car. I bought one in 1998 and used it daily till October last year, seventeen years of trouble free service. Drove 75,000 km including a drive from Ahmedabad to Trivandrum and back, several AMD-Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, and other Rajasthan cities. Very easy on the wallet, with no maintenance expenditure for several years in a row.
Ahmedabad - Trivandrum is a really long one!
It's easiness on wallets is one of the reasons it works for me too.

And for sure it will serve the family well for many more years ,if maintained properly.
Old 28th November 2016, 23:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree that the value for money factor for a decent condition Maruti 800 is unmatched.

I too own a 20 year old M800 type 1 which is my first preference for use inside city. Only reason I use my other car inside city is the convenience of an air conditioner.

This car was purchased brand new for a price of around 90K. The car is very well built that even after 20 years & 110k km, it can still do 1000 km round trips with ease. My car is still on its original seat covers

here are some photos of my car
Attached Thumbnails
Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-whatsapp-image-20161021-20.55.20.jpeg  

Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-whatsapp-image-20161021-20.55.36.jpeg  

Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-whatsapp-image-20161021-20.55.40.jpeg  

Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-whatsapp-image-20161021-20.55.42.jpeg  

Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-whatsapp-image-20161021-20.55.47.jpeg  

Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-whatsapp-image-20161021-20.55.54.jpeg  

Video: Why a 16-year old Maruti 800 is my daily driver-whatsapp-image-20161021-20.55.17.jpeg  

arjithin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 23:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I too own a 20 year old M800 type 1 which is my first preference for use inside city. Only reason I use my other car inside city is the convenience of an air conditioner.

This car was purchased brand new for a price of around 90K. The car is very well built that even after 20 years & 110k km, it can still do 1000 km round trips with ease. My car is still on its original seat covers

here are some photos of my car
Always love a dark colored 800. Cant do it in Mumbai, as the cleaning guy + Hard water will ruin the coplor.
And yours look so good.
Old 29th November 2016, 01:27   #19
BHPian

Hi johannskaria - congrats on the M800 5s!

Happy and nostalgic to see this thread as my first car was also a 5s but in California Gold color. Loved it to the core and spent lot of money on getting new tires, head lights, tacho, stereo system, etc.

I'd also spend every Sunday morning washing and detailing the car.

I remember upgrading to 155/70/R12 Michelin tires and the ride was better though the rear wheels would scrape when the car was fully loaded.

My car had power brakes, so the braking was good. The headlights were pathetic and even though I upgraded to 100/90, it did not help much or may be I did not do it right. I remember getting new OEM Lumax HL but the quality was pathetic. Got Hella aux lamps which marginally helped.

Anyways, the car was lot of fun to drive.

I no longer have the car as I moved out of country and since our usage was 99% city drive dad wanted a car with power steering.

Enjoy your car and we look forward to your regular updates.
josejoseph is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 07:42   #20

Thanks for sharing this mate, that engine bay looks like new here's wishing you many more happy miles.

I've been on the lookout for a used car for under 1.5 lacs for my parents as a city only car, for i fear them travelling on 2 wheeler to and fro is somewhat dangerous given the environment in our cities where everyone is in a hurry, but for some reason i didnt even consider the M800 as a potential used car but this thread has changed my view atleast for now it has
Garrett is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 07:48   #21
BHPian

Hi there. I too own a 1995 Maruti 800 Type 1 passed on by my father which I use as daily driver. I have done the restoration of the car myself. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the car. BTW, I run a setup of 145/80 R12 tyres. Too massive sidewall height but gives me a ride of a balloon. Also tremendous ground clearance. Since I use it in the city at low speeds, never felt the need to have a wider rubber.

BTW, here is my thread of restoration and ownership. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...uti-800-a.html

Sorry. Got the link to restoration muddled up. The above thread was for the older ownership. When I did the restoration, I created a new thread which is this. Sorry for the double posts, I noticed it after 30 minutes, so no chance of editing the older thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...00-budget.html

By the way, I get a mileage of around 18-20 kmpl in city traffic and around 20-25 kmpl on highway. How about you guys.

Last edited by navin : 29th November 2016 at 16:03.
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 08:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Grat Video Johann. Loved every bit of it.

I've grown up with a Maruti 800 (from 1998, when I was 3), it was an emotional moment for everyone when dad sold it in 2006. It was the car my mom learnt driving in and I learnt to shift gears on (the driver would control the clutch.) Sad thing is that it never had an AC, so the Qualis was our primary car wherever we went.

The maintenance costs seem ridiculously low. That's how much I would spend for my bike (Discover 100T) at the ASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Are you mad? a 16 year old car? Maintenance will be like hell. There is no warranty. You'll get stranded some day. and much more.
The car is so simple that is unlikely to leave you stranded if you do scheduled preventive maintenance and replace the ageing parts.

Quote:
My Mi4i
[ATTACH]My Mi4i[/ATTACH]
Even I've got the same phone, a wonderful one, albeit for the lack of additional storage.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 29th November 2016 at 08:52.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 10:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Hi johannskaria - congrats on the M800 5s!

Happy and nostalgic to see this thread as my first car was also a 5s but in California Gold color. Loved it to the core and spent lot of money on getting new tires, head lights, tacho, stereo system, etc.
Thank you.

Quote:
I'd also spend every Sunday morning washing and detailing the car.
Wish I could atleast wash my car. Being in a concrete jungle ,there is absolutely no space add to that building society restrictions. I used to do the same when i was in my hometown.

Quote:
My car had power brakes, so the braking was good. The headlights were pathetic and even though I upgraded to 100/90, it did not help much or may be I did not do it right. I remember getting new OEM Lumax HL but the quality was pathetic. Got Hella aux lamps which marginally helped.

Anyways, the car was lot of fun to drive.
Even after my upgrade to 100/90, I feel a little more could be helpful.

Quote:
Enjoy your car and we look forward to your regular updates.
Sure, The car is currently undergoing overhaul in Kerala.
Will keep all of you guys updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Thanks for sharing this mate, that engine bay looks like new here's wishing you many more happy miles.

I've been on the lookout for a used car for under 1.5 lacs for my parents as a city only car but for some reason i didnt even consider the M800 as a potential used car but this thread has changed my view atleast for now it has
Many more miles and stories to come.
IMO the current crop of entry level cars have not offered much value addition for the price they ask. So for anyone graduating from a 2wheel transportation can consider the 800 as a viable finalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveemashfaq View Post
Hi there. I too own a 1995 Maruti 800 Type I have done the restoration of the car myself. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the car. BTW, I run a setup of 145/80 R12 tyres.
Hey I'm glad to join the club.
Sure. I'm sure some questions will be on the way .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveemashfaq View Post
By the way, I get a mileage of around 18-20 kmpl in city traffic and around 20-25 kmpl on highway. How about you guys.
21kmpl is what i got on my last Mumbai-Kerala trip.
City easily 17-18 kmpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Grat Video Johann. Loved every bit of it.
Thank you so much. Glad you loved it!

Quote:
I've grown up with a Maruti 800 (from 1998, when I was 3), it was an emotional moment for everyone when dad sold it in 2006. It was the car my mom learnt driving in and I learnt to shift gears on (the driver would control the clutch.)
Ha ha ha. I used to be in charge of the wiper blades.

Quote:
The maintenance costs seem ridiculously low. That's how much I would spend for my bike (Discover 100T) at the ASS.
The car is so simple that is unlikely to leave you stranded if you do scheduled preventive maintenance and replace the ageing parts.
I totally second that!

Quote:
Even I've got the same phone, a wonderful one, albeit for the lack of additional storage.
Ohhh!
Ya ,it's terrible. Dread the 'Storage full' popup!
time to upgrade, but the 800 overhaul is in process.
And also its time to save up for the second project car.
(Abarth/Figo Diesel/118 NE)
johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 11:33   #24
BHPian

Good video mate. Just be sure to make those jokes seem a bit natural rather than scripted ones. Also, I do agree on the cost scenario but I highly doubt the metal's reliability after years of usage in Mumbai. Check the underbelly and you would be surprised to see that almost every old Maruti car is rust affected to the point where they are a disaster waiting in the pipeline of time and misfortune.

If you are going to use an old car, restoring it is the sane thing to do. And, since that comes at a cost with diminishing returns, it is rather sensible to invest the same amount in a much safer alternative.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 17:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
Good video mate. Just be sure to make those jokes seem a bit natural rather than scripted ones. Also, I do agree on the cost scenario but I highly doubt the metal's reliability after years of usage in Mumbai. Check the underbelly and you would be surprised to see that almost every old Maruti car is rust affected to the point where they are a disaster waiting in the pipeline of time and misfortune.

If you are going to use an old car, restoring it is the sane thing to do. And, since that comes at a cost with diminishing returns, it is rather sensible to invest the same amount in a much safer alternative.
Thank you .
Checked the under belly before i bought and also before i drove it KL,its in very good shape.

Not really ,a new car will cost 3.3+lakhs a used Alto itself is around 1.5+ lakhs with good ones at 2+ lakhs. You don't get any safer affordable options at that price point as far as i know. And also restorations cost 40% in KL to that of MH and with much better quality and finish. In MH if you want quality my total cost will come to that of a well used Alto. Would rather own a well built 800 than expensive entry level hatches of our time. Not even Maruti makes them the same anymore. It was hence more than a sensible decision to go with the 800. I mean what more could be asked at that price point.
Old 29th November 2016, 17:53   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Thank you .
Checked the under belly before i bought and also before i drove it KL,its in very good shape.

Not really ,a new car will cost 3.3+lakhs a used Alto itself is around 1.5+ lakhs with good ones at 2+ lakhs. You don't get any safer affordable options at that price point as far as i know. And also restorations cost 40% in KL to that of MH and with much better quality and finish. In MH if you want quality my total cost will come to that of a well used Alto. Would rather own a well built 800 than expensive entry level hatches of our time. Not even Maruti makes them the same anymore. It was hence more than a sensible decision to go with the 800. I mean what more could be asked at that price point.
Glad to hear that your Maruti is in good physical condition. A couple of years ago, I bought an old Zen (5-Speed). The underbelly looked great due to a recent paint job but later it was revealed that the entire underbelly metal had lost its rigidity due to rust and was rendered absolutely untrustworthy. I scraped the car and watched it being torn apart as it sent shivers down my spine to see the rust levels covered under layers of paint. The car broke in half with a few hammer thrusts! I am glad that nothing worse happened during our times with the car, but the scrappers revealed that most Marutis have the same issue.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 19:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
Glad to hear that your Maruti is in good physical condition. A couple of years ago, I bought an old Zen (5-Speed). The underbelly looked great due to a recent paint job but later it was revealed that the entire underbelly metal had lost its rigidity due to rust and was rendered absolutely untrustworthy. I scraped the car and watched it being torn apart as it sent shivers down my spine to see the rust levels covered under layers of paint. The car broke in half with a few hammer thrusts! I am glad that nothing worse happened during our times with the car, but the scrappers revealed that most Marutis have the same issue.
That's very unfortunate, I feel your pain man!
That's only when the cars are not well looked after.
Luckily mine was owned and used by a doctor ,who also used to get regular services done at a MASS. And she used the car mostly to go to her clinic which is 5kms away. So mine was in a good shape ,more over my bodywork guy confirmed my conclusion by saying he has rarely seen a 15 year old MH car in this shape.
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 21:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

My city runabout too. (M800 5 speed).
If only it had a better AC.
Mine came with brake booster, and heater.

Fact which confounded others:-
Went to but a Alto VX, (in lieu of the Zen which was my city runabout then), ended up buying the M800, 5 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I somehow love the exhaust sound(provided its the authentic 5 speed exhaust you are using). All the MASSes are ignorant about the fact that 5 Speeds have different exhaust pipe. Once the 4 speed exhaust is installed, the note becomes pathetic.
Tell me about it.
I regularly redline (willing petrol) engines. Used to love the exhaust note.
Spares unique to the 5 speed can be surprisingly problematic to get. Result:- loss of exhaust note. No longer that much fun to rev.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 21:52   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
My city runabout too. (M800 5 speed).
If only it had a better AC.
I guess your AC setup is still R12 gas based. Once I got the R134 kit retrofitted, the AC has been nothing less than a chiller.

Quote:
Tell me about it.
I regularly redline (willing petrol) engines. Used to love the exhaust note.
Spares unique to the 5 speed can be surprisingly problematic to get. Result:- loss of exhaust note. No longer that much fun to rev.

Regards
Sutripta
The availability of spares is still okay, but only if your MASS is willing to order. There are two reasons behind this pseudo scarcity

1. Lesser number of 5 speed 800s

2. Significantly more expensive spares of 5 speed 800. And to add to the trouble, most of the 4 speed parts can be installed easily on their 5 speed counterparts. So people ignorant of the fact that they are actually loosing on the fun quotient, end up opting for the cheaper spares.

My MASS stocks such spares because firstly, all the 5 speeds of my city come for service there. And secondly, they have an assurance that even if all the people in the city turn miser, there will be one fool who will still search for "5 speed specific " spares.

Do let me know if you need part number of the 5 speed specific exhaust pipe.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 30th November 2016 at 21:53.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 22:13   #30
BHPian

Great review dude! Makes me want to buy it. That is the sign of a great review. Being born in the 80's , the M800 was always an aspirational car during those days.

The lightweight and the direct steering, the plaint ride, the compact size, all were its USPs in its era. It will always be an icon, the Beetle of India, the car that put India on wheels.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 1st December 2016 at 04:43. Reason: Spellchecked

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks