Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2017, 12:59   #16
BHPian

re: Our Silver Sprinter - Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 40,000 km & new Michelin tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
It's actually 15. My birthday today.
Birthday wishes to start the day buddy! I echo what another BHPian said in an earlier post wishing that all 14 / 15 year olds could write like this.

I wish folks who have been driving for ages and are well into their 30's and 40's could write like this! Do keep up the passion for anything on wheels!

I think it is indeed fabulous that our forum has members as young as 14. I think the youngest is probably Petrolhead Neel if I'm not mistaken! Drive safe after you get a license!
TheBigH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 13:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Our Silver Sprinter - Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 40,000 km & new Michelin tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigH View Post
Birthday wishes to start the day buddy! I echo what another BHPian said in an earlier post wishing that all 14 / 15 year olds could write like this.

I wish folks who have been driving for ages and are well into their 30's and 40's could write like this! Do keep up the passion for anything on wheels!

I think it is indeed fabulous that our forum has members as young as 14. I think the youngest is probably Petrolhead Neel if I'm not mistaken! Drive safe after you get a license!
Thanks a lot sir. Yeah, writing is an acquired taste that runs in my family. I thank my old man for it .

One of the reasons why I joined Team bhp is this. You get to learn from so many people from different walks of life and share your experiences too.

Regards and thanks once again for the wishes,
vishy
Old 21st February 2017, 13:55   #18
BHPian

Amazing review Vishy76!!
And the revelation of you being only 15 yr old never occurred when I was reading the review; I just did not know too. So it was quite surprising when I got to know!!

The red backlit console does give the Jetta an otherwise sporty feel and I do feel that the flat-bottom steering should have been offered.

You almost had me call up a VW dealer to check if there are any Jettas in stock
adneeraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 14:05   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
Amazing review Vishy76!!
And the revelation of you being only 15 yr old never occurred when I was reading the review; I just did not know too. So it was quite surprising when I got to know!!

The red backlit console does give the Jetta an otherwise sporty feel and I do feel that the flat-bottom steering should have been offered.

You almost had me call up a VW dealer to check if there are any Jettas in stock
Thanks for the appreciation sir.

The facelift does have the flat bottom steering wheel as standard now on the post 2015 variants. (although even I miss it)

If you are looking for a Jetta, there isn't a better time. You will be getting fat discounts on the car now. Dealers are hell bent on clearing stock.

Regards,
vishy
Old 21st February 2017, 20:46   #20

Quote:
Dear fellow Bhpians,
An Introduction first
Needless to say, I am one of those. My friends might call me an idiot when I try to discuss cars but then that's the truth; it's a passion which becomes extremely addictive once it gets the better of you. While my teenage friends dream of movies, Songs,parties et all I dream of what it would be like to blast through the German Autobahn at unmentionable speeds in a Jetta GLI. While they discuss about what goes into making an iPhone or the latest iPods, I marvel at those German TDIs and TSIs along with the best of the Japanese I-vtecs and dream of owning one. I love German cars, and my affection towards them has only increased since we bought the Jetta. My favourite engine has to be the 1.8 TPi used in the erstwhile Octavia Vrs. It is indeed sad that it was ditched due to fuel efficiency concerns.
Even when I was 15yrs old all the above thoughts which you have penned down in such a beautiful way was exactly what was going through my mind but I was at loss of words to describe that feeling and just kept on oogling the cars especially Octavia VRS in that black colour with those spidey alloys. Damn, it does turn heads still now! I could relate that enthusiasm which I had in myself at 15 minus the technical details which I am able to understand only after a decade of your age.

Please keep this thread alive with continuous updates, if not any just do post pics, we still wouldn't mind watching pics of those droolworthy VW Jetta.
Thanga_RS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 21:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanga_RS View Post
Even when I was 15yrs old all the above thoughts which you have penned down in such a beautiful way was exactly what was going through my mind but I was at loss of words to describe that feeling and just kept on oogling the cars especially Octavia VRS in that black colour with those spidey alloys. Damn, it does turn heads still now! I could relate that enthusiasm which I had in myself at 15 minus the technical details which I am able to understand only after a decade of your age.

Please keep this thread alive with continuous updates, if not any just do post pics, we still wouldn't mind watching pics of those droolworthy VW Jetta.
Thanks for the appreciation sir. Yep, I do find it difficult to express my feelings for this car in words, and especially the Octavia 1.8 TPI . It's sad how our market reacts to larger displacement petrols I tell you.

I promise to keep the thread alive. I just hope that I can improve on my photography skills to provide for a better reading experience.

regards,
vishy
Old 21st February 2017, 23:55   #22
BHPian

Congratulations for a great review, especially at your age, kudos!

I can imagine what you might be feeling as we had an HM Ambassador Nova when I was 14. But at that time, neither a forum like Tbhp was there, nor I was as skilled as you to write the review.

@ Jetta, it is easily a brand ambassador of German Engineering, as it epitomizes traditional virtues of a typical German car - understated, elegant, timeless look, strong engine, matured dynamics and tank-like build. Wishing you happy time with your car.

@ PD (Pumpe Duse) was an Unit Injector system developed by VAG in last decade, in which there used to be an dedicated and separate fuel pump supplying diesel to each injector and it was integrated with the injector. The technology was better than typical mechanical fuel pump system existing at that in terms of atomization but was soon replaced by even better CRDI technology.

@ T-BHP, if you inspire a 14 year old to write about the magnificent world of automobiles, then its simply great! Click the link below to know what I mean, one of my favorite TVC:
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:18   #23
BHPian

My son is entering his teens soon. While he is enthusiastic about all things with wheels (road/air/tracks!), it's nowhere close to your passion. Your parents should be v. proud, and rightly so. This thread goes straight to my son for what he can aspire to...

That said, fantastic attention to detail.

@GTO, take him under your tutelage as the next-gen TBHP moderator.

Last edited by mmxylorider : 22nd February 2017 at 14:25.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:38   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
My son is entering his teens soon. While he is enthusiastic about all things with wheels (road/air/tracks!), it's nowhere close to your passion. Your parents should be v. proud, and rightly so. This thread goes straight to my son for what he can aspire to...

That said, fantastic attention to detail.

@GTO, take him under your tutelage as the next-gen TBHP moderator.
Thanks a lot sir. Attention to detail is something I learnt from the numerous official reviews on the forum itself and of course GTO sir's review of his 5 series.

I guess motoring was always a passion, but it was always about numbers (hp, torque, top speed etc); until I came across team bhp and learnt that cars are not just point a-->b commuters but pieces of engineering that can do wonders.

Regards,
vishy
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 16:13   #25
BANNED

Hello there, As nice review buddy as I own Skoda Laura 2013 in both Manual and DSG as my wife uses DSG and I use MT version and I must say in mileage this car can put SWIFT and other sub 1.5 litre engined cars to shame. As, I have a record of reaching from Delhi to Anand ( Gujarat ) in just 52 ltrs of Diesel in MT when i visited Auto Expo last FEB ' 16.

And main thing dear i wanted you to clear is that as i have seen you telling Air pump for brakes is acutally Fuel Filter and not Air compressor for brakes as we have oil brakes.

Take care. Drive Safe.
patel8585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 22:43   #26
BHPian

I could by no chance even guess that it is written by a 14-15 year old! Very well written buddy! Hope you are able to harness this interest and passion for the years to come

You somehow reminded me of my childhood and school days where i used to be an automobile 'devotee' as well. By the time my friends started 'theory' lessons about cars, i had already started to do my 'practicals' on driving. Its a quick 10yrs gone by from that moment and now that interest seems to have dwindled and become obscure (Yes priorities change and one's interests too). Good to know that cars remain a passion in a world where teenagers have become more passionate about their cellphones

Best wishes to you!
dreamliner17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 22:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Vishy bro, I think a lot of us would be wondering what is your actual age, Doesn't look like a 14 year old has poured his heart down! Kudos man, That too on a car that i simply admire and i am having a tough time deciding a upgrade from it, Do keep this thread alive and kicking, Also is your jetta updated with the VW's recall? If thats done, A remap becomes MUST!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 22:52   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamliner17 View Post
I could by no chance even guess that it is written by a 14-15 year old! Very well written buddy! Hope you are able to harness this interest and passion for the years to come

You somehow reminded me of my childhood and school days where i used to be an automobile 'devotee' as well. By the time my friends started 'theory' lessons about cars, i had already started to do my 'practicals' on driving. Its a quick 10yrs gone by from that moment and now that interest seems to have dwindled and become obscure (Yes priorities change and one's interests too). Good to know that cars remain a passion in a world where teenagers have become more passionate about their cellphones

Best wishes to you!
Thanks for the appreciation sir. Yeah, I do know that even my priorities will eventually change with time but there's only two things I will attribute my love for cars to; Team BHP and Silver Sprinter.

My friends do think I am an idiot but then they don't realise that asking us car enthusiasts as to why we love cars, is like asking a man as to why he loves his wife. Both questions don't have legit answers.

Regards,
vishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Vishy bro, I think a lot of us would be wondering what is your actual age, Doesn't look like a 14 year old has poured his heart down! Kudos man, That too on a car that i simply admire and i am having a tough time deciding a upgrade from it, Do keep this thread alive and kicking, Also is your jetta updated with the VW's recall? If thats done, A remap becomes MUST!
The recall was done and I put forth the proposal of remapping the car via TOT (just like you did). How I wish my dad could agree. My old man loves to keep his machines in stock state and I respect that. After all, it is his money that has gone into the car and he has the authority to decide what happens with it. He is also a very sedate driver. Besides, he is also a bit apprehensive about the disadvantages of remaps especially when it comes to long term reliability.

But I have to agree sir, your Jetta is truly a one of a kind beast. I can only imagine what kind of an animal it would be with that remap. You have inspired me to buy a Jetta once I become eligible for driving and remap it too . You cannot question the versatility of this car. If Volkswagen is going to give us a rebadged Octavia for the next generation, then there is no point in doing so.

Regards and yes do keep updating your thread too. Would love to hear more on the remap.

vishy

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd February 2017 at 00:33. Reason: Posts merged on request.
Old 22nd February 2017, 23:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The recall was done and I put forth the proposal of remapping the car via TOT (just like you did). How I wish my dad could agree. My old man loves to keep his machines in stock state and I respect that. After all, it is his money that has gone into the car and he has the authority to decide what happens with it. He is also a very sedate driver. Besides, he is also a bit apprehensive about the disadvantages of remaps especially when it comes to long term reliability.
He is right in his own way and its good to know you respect his decision, You my friend have a couple of years to go before you will be eligible to drive, I remember myself being just like you (Aren't most of us on Team-BHP like that?) Once i got my licence and my own car, I was free to do every experiment possible, Which still continued with my jetta too which is currently maxed out in terms of modifications.

Quote:
But I have to agree sir, your Jetta is truly a one of a kind beast. I can only imagine what kind of an animal it would be with that remap. You have inspired me to buy a Jetta once I become eligible for driving and remap it too . You cannot question the versatility of this car. If Volkswagen is going to give us a rebadged Octavia for the next generation, then there is no point in doing so.
When the car was stock (Before the software update) Even then it had the kick on the highways and you could have immense fun in that, Sadly the software update ruined it and i had to go in for the remap, But glad i did, Its simply monster! My current tyres at 35k cannot handle that much power, I cannot dare to floor the pedal while cornering!

Quote:
Regards and yes do keep updating your thread too. Would love to hear more on the remap.
I will be posting a good long review of the remap once more before i sell the car.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 13:39   #30
BHPian

A fabulously written review, man. I completely feel you on being one of the few petrolheads in your family, especially as a wee teenager. Growing up, my car advice (which I still proudly stand by) was considered juvenile and promptly rejected. What I can tell you is that it gets better, especially once you get a car of your own.
Now on to the fun part - I currently own a silver grey Jetta here in California that's not too different from yours. You've covered most of the bases in your review, but I will add that the feeling of safety, solidity and reliability continues well into the higher mileages. My car's done ~100,000 km (64k miles) and still feels like an absolute tank. Drives up snowy mountain roads packed full of skis, college kids and assorted paraphernalia with ease. I thought it'd be fun to compare how a much older and frequently used/battered Jetta (LA traffic is awful) looks, so I've attached a picture of mine. I think the fact that yours, at 37k, still looks brand spanking new and mine, at ~2.5x that, looks fresh despite all my college-student-shenanigans is amazing. It's really a testament to how well they build them.
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_2963.jpg

My car also comes with a rather interesting 2.5 inline 5 engine producing about 170 horse. Not much remapping potential there outside of turbocharging but I've seen some mean aftermarket exhausts. and fat rubber on a few. Watch out for your car's barometric sensor though, a lot of Mk6's have check engine lights randomly turn on because of some sort of software glitch in that. If it happens, don't panic and just restart your car.
One fun fact: I noticed that your service at 30,000 cost about Rs. 4500. My car's 60k mile (97,000 km) service, a relatively simple one involving an oil change and a few other minor jobs pretty similar to yours, cost over Rs. 20,000 ($300) NOT including labor! This is the first car I've ever been completely responsible for so unsure if that's reasonable, but it sounds frightfully expensive to me. Also my car came with drum brakes at the back, only the GLI came with discs all round in 2011.
Stigissimo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed