Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 3rd November 2020, 00:40   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Our Silver Sprinter - Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 6 years and 80,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivethru View Post
Great write up on Jetta and your experiences.

This car is a tough one to let go. Frankly there is no car in the 20-23 lakh segment (currently) which can match Jetta's Safety and driving pleasure. I drive a 2012 Jetta AT and I'm sure I have seen your 5820 once on Mumbai roads.
Thanks a lot man. It is indeed a very tough one to let go off. Checked out the Seltos as well a few days back and came out unimpressed.

I actually don't live in Mumbai. The car was bought in 2014 in Mumbai and we then shifted in November 2015 IIRC to Vadodara. Been here ever since and only visited Mumbai once post that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Vishy, I'm glad you've hit 80k kilometers on the Jetta, and hope you bring up a ton.

I know that feeling when you want to move on from the Jetta, but find it to be a tricky proposition since there are only so many cars that fit the bill (reliable, fun, practical), even more when there isn't a huge amount of headroom by way of budget.

My sincere advice; try and hang on to the Jetta. You won't find a better steed than it unless you spend big money. If you go with one of the big 3, you'll be spending more by way of maintenance (can't skimp on it beyond a point), and if you look outside that clique, the options are a bit limited, in my mind. For instance, the 320D would definitely fit your budget, but is it that much better than the Jetta? I would argue it's about 20% better, if that, and worse in some respects. You be the judge of that.

Almost 2 years on from selling mine, I still miss her some days. She was a fabulous tourer, reasonable to maintain, and classically beautiful. They just don't make them like anymore, quite literally and figuratively.
Thanks a lot Karan! Your immaculately kept Jetta is missed by me as well. But I am glad you have moved onto a RWD Sedan. I did consider the 320D but the maintenance costs are a lot more than the Jetta and I don't think the 2.0 Turbo is an upgrade over the already capable TDI of my Jetta. That aside, I haven't heard very good things about the rear end composure of the 3. The A4 and C class can't come close either the way I see things.

The best option is to hang on to her. The clutch, flywheel, headliner, tyres and battery are going to be replaced in the next 2-3 months and she will most probably stay for 2 more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Amazing review!
If only I could write as well. But it comes with passion, and that one you have bucket loads of.

The jetta surely must be fun, but go out redlining on that little chevy once in a while, smaller cars are so much fun. I prefer driving my Safari for it's torque and easy to drive nature and visibility. But give me my grandpa's Maruti 800 and I'm not coming back home until I drive the wheels off of that tiny little thing. Small cars are so much fun. Hope you get your license soon and get behind the wheel soon.

Where are the teamBHP stickers?
mods, we request an infraction upon this guy!
Thanks a lot! The Jetta is fun but yes the Spark with the hydraulic power steering and small size is a very chuckable and fun car to drive (weak bottom end aside). I do hope I get my license soon. Can't wait to sample both the cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumanyu17 View Post
I'd love to know about the headliner fix. Can you please tell who has quoted you 7-8k for the job. When I inquired from the dealer for my passat he quoted around 40k. Please update here when you get it fixed.
The headliner upholstery is a known issue on these cars. I have been quoted prices ranging from 5.5K-12K. My advice:

- Find someone who has done this before

- I would personally stand next to them and supervise the work being done. One thing I absolutely despise is some numbnuts using flat head screwdrivers to dismantle interior trim and pry open retaining clips. If you do have to pay a premium for getting this done properly, please do.

I will most probably be sending it to an FNG. He hasn't given me an exact quote yet but has said it will be in the 7-8K ballpark. Will update the thread when I get this done for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Nice summary. Well written.

I have a 2015 used Jetta Highline TDI AT in excellent condition, Bought it 2 years back with 45K on Odo and have maintained it very well. It has done 70 K now. I have avoided the dieselgate fix by talking to the company workshop, so the car is still explosive.

I would like your advice on Remap. Following are the queries:-

1. Quantum or Wolf and reason for preference??

2. Have you done the pollution check after remap, Is it Ok or more than before. Does it throw any black smoke under any condition/hard acceleration?? In Delhi pollution is a big issue.

3. Do you feel the need for any brake upgrade. Nothing major, probably better pads??

4. If I go for remap, would you advice getting the dieselgate fix before, or do it as it is. My car is completely stock till now.

5, What is the effect on FE.

Thanks
Thanks man. Here's my answers in order of your questions:

1. Wolf has an advantage when it comes to custom maps. Rajiv and team will tailor it down to your requirements unlike Quantum where you get a fixed generic map (of course, its a different matter the map has been dynoed and tested extensively). Having said all this, if you are willing to wait for the Wolf team to come down to your place and do your car, I would pick Wolf. Rajiv is very honest upfront and open to talk to. To sum things up, if you don't mind getting a generic map with slightly higher power figures its quantum. If you want a map tailored to your requirements with arguably better support later on in case it needs any improvements, Wolf.

2. Yes I have done the PUC twice after remap IIRC. The emissions have gone up slightly for sure but the car passed with absolutely no issues. Incase you need the exact figures, do tell me. I will hunt for the records and post them as well. As for the black smoke, another stage 1 owner did complain of black smoke under WOT. Diesels do smoke even without the remap TBH. You might observe a puff of smoke under very hard acceleration or turbo spool up and that's normal. It doesn't belch smoke though.

3. To be brutally honest, my dad isn't someone who drives pedal to metal style. Short bursts of acceleration and in gear pulls is what matters to him. Having said all this, me or any other stage 1 Jetta TDI owners haven't found the need to go for better brake pads or suspension. Everything on the chassis front remains the same.

4. Yes, I definitely would. VW folks will keep chasing you for it otherwise. Instead of constantly having to worry about them flashing your car and deleting your remap, get the dieselgate done first. At least their database will then say that your car has been fixed. Get the remap done after. I still make it a point to warn my SA not to touch anything on that front though, just in case.

5. I haven't really observed any effect on FE. Under spirited driving, yes the FE will drop for sure based on how hard you go on the car. However, if you drive sedately, you might actually observe an increase in FE. In my case, thanks to the increased tractability, I don't need to shift from 6th to 5th in order to perform overtakes at 80-90. Simply mashing the A pedal does the job. Thus, I get 20+ easily on highways while steadily cruising between 100-120.

Most of the highway trips have seen the Jetta return figures of upto 20.8 km/L with 4 adults on board at speeds of 100-110. This was when the service was due. Quite sure it would have touched 21 comfortably after servicing. My car doesn't encounter city traffic all that much so can't comment on that front. My dad's daily office commutes see the car doing about 15-16 Km/L. All in all, I am very satisfied on the FE front as well. No complains whatsoever.

Last edited by vishy76 : 3rd November 2020 at 00:43.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 19:59   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Our Silver Sprinter - Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 6 years and 80,000 km up!

Hasn't been long since the last update but I already have a lot to share. The past few months have been full of new learnings for me and the car. I shall update this thread by the end of next week.

Until then, here's a teaser. The Jetta is back from VW ASC after a hefty bill:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 6 years and 80,000 km up!-img_20210331_154315.jpg
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 00:45   #63
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

What is the timing belt change interval for this 2.0 tdi engine? My 2016 Sharan has this same engine and it has run just 40k kms in the last 5 years, should I get the belt replaced and also water pump? I also occasionally face this another issue when the car takes 3-4 seconds to start in the morning, say once every 2-3 weeks, have you faced this issue?
Old 6th April 2021, 04:45   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
What is the timing belt change interval for this 2.0 tdi engine? My 2016 Sharan has this same engine and it has run just 40k kms in the last 5 years, should I get the belt replaced and also water pump? I also occasionally face this another issue when the car takes 3-4 seconds to start in the morning, say once every 2-3 weeks, have you faced this issue?
Hi. The timing belt change interval for the TDI series is 1.05L km or 7 years, whichever comes earlier. I had mine changed just a week back at 6.5 years of age as a precaution. It's always good to keep an eye on the health of the belt and the water pump as the car crosses 5 years. It's always advisable to change the water pump too since these are prone to failing on the EA189 2.0 TDIs.

I have personally never encountered a long crank. Even on a weak battery, the engine will crank slowly, but fire up within 2 seconds max. I think the battery would be a good place to start. If it's too cold there, your glow plugs might be on their way out.

Most Viewed