Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2018, 20:48   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Our Silver Sprinter - Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!

57,000 KM Update

The 4th scheduled service was quite an eventful one for the car. I will list the reason below.

End of Navratri

I get up, get ready and have my breakfast. Navratri has been quite uneventful for me at this stage, I don't play Garba (runs in the genes I reckon) and nor do I visit any of the numerous playing grounds in Vadodara. Even though the neighbourhood girl has personally invited me to have a go at doing Garba and claims all I need is a good teacher, my nervousness coupled with the fact that I don't want to make a fool of myself ensures I sit home and do nothing.

Anyways, coming back to the topic, my mom suddenly announces that I need to do the Puja for the cars this time round. There's no rocket science to it. Just get down there, put the garland on and portray your artistic skills on the bonnet. Very easy. (for an atheist)

And I do just that. I expectedly walk down to the Jetta first, portray my artistic skills to the fullest, waste 15 minutes hunting for a suitable spot to tie the garland, and finally bite the bullet by hooking it to the wipers. But, I don't stop there. My instinct tells me I need to pop the bonnet as well. Since the car has crossed 40K km, I make it a point to check coolant and oil levels (the former especially) all thanks to numerous reports of water pump failiures reported both on and off the forum. Its been 2 weeks since I checked the levels, so why not do it now?

I release the hood, lift it and can't really digest what I see. I hook the latch first, take a bit of time and stare at the coolant expansion tank again. I even switch my phone torch on and flash it on the tank to confirm my worst fears. The coolant level has fallen! It's exactly at the midway mark between max and min. Why is it worrying then? Well, let me quote this image from post 43 of this thread. It was taken exactly after the last service.

Quote:

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20171209_201246.jpg
Note the coolant levels in the image here. The level (although may not be glaringly obvious) is well above the collar (or midway mark) and is exactly at the level where the wiring harness for the expansion tank plugs in. Both images were taken when the engine was stone cold.

My dad was to take the car to Ahmedabad the next day. I immediately asked him to cancel the trip or take a cab. After checking on the internet, closely examining the ground where the car stood and the radiator for any signs of leakage I knew it was the cursed TDI gremlin and conclude it has to be the water pump.

4 year or 60K km service

I also called the S.A and clearly told him what had happened. He asked me to get the car in and that driving for a short distance wouldn't do any harm. But the car stood stationery for a week before being attended to. My laziness and VW's complex process to book an appointment for servicing was to blame here.

Finally, on 24th October, 2018, the Jetta went in for its fourth service with 56.5K km on the odo. I also requested for a full service since it was due anyways.

My dad recieved a call the same day with a quote of Rs. 35,000. I was

He claimed that the water pump had gone kaput, which was par for the course but also said that tranny fluids would need a change. A tranny fluid change on a manual doesn't add up to more than Rs. 3,000 and the water pump another Rs. 6,000 with labour included. Total cost of servicing shouldn't have been more than 25K then. I asked for an explanation to the quote.

The same evening, a call back was arranged where he claimed there had been some confusion. The tranny fluid change was for the DSG and not the manuals which meant the total cost of servicing for my car came to a shade over Rs. 24,500.

Another good thing that happened was that the Jetta only saw a downtime of two days at the most. It went on a Thursday morning and was back by Friday afternoon at 2.00. (Not even 2 days actually)

Now, coming to the bad part, the water pump had gone bad. This is probably the 6th or the 7th instance on the forum. (Bhpian Misson_PGPX' Jetta was the latest victim 2 days back).

Fortunately, I caught the leak on time. I am proud to say this, my OCD with respect to oil and coolant levels paid off. In the worst case, the leak could have deteriorated and sprayed coolant all over the timing belt and associated ancillaries, setting me back a further 22K. I only had to pay for the water pump, which was quite reasonably priced (it has been localised now) and labour.

Enough of writing, time for some pictures now.

The cursed child. Every TDI owner's nightmare to be honest. Fortunately, I caught him red handed before he could cause further damage:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img20181106wa0004.jpg

You can see the amount of corrosion inside the drain hole. Might be a reason for pump failiure, although I think it is the water pump seal:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img20181106wa0005.jpg

The water pump seal basically makes the pump sit tight inside its cavity and doesn't allow coolant to leak onto the timing kit or the pump itself. Again, you can see scuff marks on the seal:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img20181106wa0006.jpg

The impeller sits inside the cavity and is the part which remains in direct contact with the coolant, pumping it through the engine. This pump uses a metal impeller. You can see a few chips on the impeller itself here:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img20181106wa0008.jpg

Apart from the scuffed seal ,the corrosion on the pump and mounting surface and the damaged impeller, I also felt that it wasn't rotating smoothly. There was a distinct "whirring" noise from it if heard with a keen ear. Might indicate that the bearings had started to wear out though I am not sure.

The good news is the pump has been localised now. The older pump had the part no. 03L 121 031 B. The newer one has changed to 03L 121 011 P.

Trivia: The 1.6L and 1.5L TDI also use the same pump. (Confirmed it through Bhpian Gannu's ownership report where he has documented the timing kit change on his Polo).

Cost (incl. GST) : Rs. 2,132

Total cost incl. of labour and coolant: Rs. 5,885

Out of the total labour charges, a whopping Rs. 1,622 was attributed to removal and reinstallation of the timing belt.

There has also been a design change for the water pump. I checked the images on Gannu's ownership thread and compared my water pump (which came from the factory 4 years back). There seems to be a change to the pump design:

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-water-pump.jpg

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img20181106wa0003.jpg

If you look closely, you will notice that an additional structure has been added near the water pump drain hole. This might have been done to prevent excessive coolant loss from the drain hole itself.

I just hope that these issues are sorted for good.

The alternator belt/ribbed belt was also changed(as scheduled at the 60K km service). It had a few scuff marks and also a bit of wear towards the edges. Had become quite brittle:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img20181106wa0002.jpg

Another minor issue was the front left DRL which had conked off for the second time in the ownership period. Got it replaced.

That's about it. Let me list down some of the things I liked and some I didn't like about the service experience this time:

What I liked:

- Pick up and drop was a no fuss affair though I was charged Rs. 300 for it

- Fairly transparent approach with the S.A calling as promised and going over the service costs and what was to be replaced

- The car was washed well and even the interiors were fairly clean (as compared to their condition before the service)

What I didn't like:

- In typical VW/Skoda style, unnecessary items were added to the bill although I had signed a piece of paper asking them not to do those items

- The interior does have a grease mark on the A-pillar

- Process to book the service wasn't very transparent. An app by VW to book services would be most welcome by me

All in all I would rate them 4.5/5 stars. VW's after sales has been improving and I just hope they sort some more gremlins out.

Post service the car has transformed. There is a substantial change in the NVH levels and the diesel clatter has reduced considerably. The TDI revs a lot better now and seems a lot more eager.

The engine also gets upto temperature quicker, maybe due to the water pump change. I have been monitoring the coolant levels post the pump change and all seems well. There is no drop in levels now.

Here are the snaps of the lengthy bill this time round (sorry for the blurry snaps. The print wasn't clear to start off with):
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20181106_205123.jpg

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20181106_203552.jpg

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20181106_203626.jpg

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20181106_203639.jpg

The past, the present and the future

The Jetta completes 4 years with us now. I still can't forget the first day we brought her home, 28th November, 2014. After the maddening rush through Mumbai Traffic, reaching the showroom, still uncertain whether it would be open and we would be able to take delivery. Then, finally getting off from the Taxi, and catching a glimpse of her standing there. There were two brand new Polos standing outside the showroom waiting to be delivered, but my eyes were set on something else. A silver saloon decked with ribbons perfectly parked inches away from a gate on both the sides. There were several people looking at it enviously, but I was the only one who was going to take her home.

The next 4 years saw me fall in love with her. The sheer depth of engineering, the tank like build, the lusty motor, all of it had me head over heels. Infact, I attribute my interest in cars and presence in the Indian automotive scene only to the Jetta. Only a car like this can make you realise the value of engineering and how a machine can connect to a man.

From throwing it down the ghats at triple digit speeds, to flying low on Indian highways at god speed, this car has seen it all. To me she's as much as a member of the family as I am, and that says a lot.

My dad says he will keep the car for at least 2 years more, until his age starts to demand an automatic. He's quite sure that the Jetta will live even longer. In fact he even sheepishly asked me in front of the home ministry "Ananth, this car will even last for ten years right? I am quite sure. Bahut pyar se rakha hai isse." (I have maintained it in a very loving manner).

With that, its time to end this post. Thanks for reading through and sorry for the long post.

Until next time,
Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 6th November 2018 at 20:54.
vishy76 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 16:37   #47
BHPian

I know I am a little too late to this thread but can't help saying that it is an amazing write-up! Also the way you maintain your Jetta is just amazing and it properly feels german in the way it rides. Had an amazing experience riding in yours that day!

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
57,000 KM Update

The 4th scheduled service was quite an eventful one for the car. I will list the reason below.
I've the same issue now.. the guys in hyderabad are quoting way too much compared to other places. When it was changed in 2017, they charged 11k for water pump alone for the new part number as you've mentioned. I've done about 20k more since then and it has come up again. Can you upload clearer pictures of the invoice? I'd like to show your invoice to them and question. Since my car is a 2011 model and has done 79k kms, I'm going for timing kit change as well. They've quoted a rough estimate of 35-40k for the same. This is too high from what I've seen on our forum.

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd June 2019 at 02:04. Reason: Quoting a large post hampers readability
sarfraz1997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 22:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
Since my car is a 2011 model and has done 79k kms, I'm going for timing kit change as well. They've quoted a rough estimate of 35-40k for the same. This is too high from what I've seen on our forum.
I think timing kit is around 25K plus labor..the estimates are always on the higher side. Did you incurred any major repair costs or replaced any parts unde warranty in this 79K??
Old 4th December 2019, 22:19   #50
BHPian

Yes. Ideally the timing kit shouldn't cost more than 25k but the Hyderabad VW (Khajaguda) is shady in terms of pricing. I haven't had any breakdowns except for the first waterpump failure. In my 87k ( As of today), I've replaced the waterpump twice (only the first was a failure) and I have replaced my DMF once which was the most expensive repair. Around 80-90k IIRC. Others are all general wear and tear items like brake pads and discs, oil services, suspension etc.
Overall, this is a very reliable car. Returns amazing FE. Just a couple weeks ago, returned me 22kmph on a highway trip which was around 375 kms with around 300kms on a NH.
Old 5th December 2019, 09:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
Yes. Ideally the timing kit shouldn't cost more than 25k but the Hyderabad VW (Khajaguda) is shady in terms of pricing. I haven't had any breakdowns except for the first waterpump failure. In my 87k ( As of today), I've replaced the waterpump twice (only the first was a failure) and I have replaced my DMF once which was the most expensive repair. Around 80-90k IIRC. Others are all general wear and tear items like brake pads and discs, oil services, suspension etc.
Overall, this is a very reliable car. Returns amazing FE. Just a couple weeks ago, returned me 22kmph on a highway trip which was around 375 kms with around 300kms on a NH.
Thanks. DMF, I guess it's around 40k right? Around 1L kms on the ODO, we need to spend maximum closer to 1-1.5L for replacements of parts like clutch, flywheel, suspension, water pump and timing kit, fuel injectors etc....then I guess we are good to go for another 50-60K solid
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 09:23   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Thanks. DMF, I guess it's around 40k right? Around 1L kms on the ODO, we need to spend maximum closer to 1-1.5L for replacements of parts like clutch, flywheel, suspension, water pump and timing kit, fuel injectors etc....then I guess we are good to go for another 50-60K solid

Nah, the DMF is expensive. My car is a DSG. Maybe because of that but I'm not sure. Fuel injectors won't need replacement so early unless the fuel quality is bad. And yes, this car can last a long time!
Old 12th October 2020, 20:10   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Been long since I updated the thread and yes I do accept the fact that I have been very very lazy for posting on the forum in general, leave alone this ownership report.

A few wear and tear replacements (some trivial, other expensive), a few heartbreaks and 25K km since the last update, here's the Jetta being serviced at a trusted FNG. Pic credits to member pd_scorpio who spotted it there:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img20201012wa0004.jpg

I can be accepting of a lot of things including overcharging and lethargy (both of which were standard at VW ASC), but lack of transparency is something that really gets my goat. Surprising I managed to put up with them for 5 years. But then ofcourse, my dad also had a major role to play in that. I will document my experiences later in this thread along with the expenses.

For now, the car is 6 years and 80K km old and I plan to keep her for another year atleast since I am not willing to splurge on a BMW or Merc and nor am I able to find a suitable upgrade within my current budget.

Last edited by vishy76 : 12th October 2020 at 20:35.
vishy76 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 17:58   #54
BHPian

Just went through your thread. I'm guessing you must have learnt to drive now that you've turned 18. How many miles have you put on the Jetta? BTW that is an awesome first car to have!
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 01:24   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

80,000Km Update

80,000Km Update

Its 11 in the night as I type this on the 20th of October, 2020. The Jetta is as usual standing down in its covered parking, back from its 6th scheduled service. It's very difficult to believe the Jetta is nearing 6, and perhaps even more difficult to believe that its been with me through my teenage years. She's grown old now. The plastics on the outside don't have the same sheen as they did before, there are a few nicks on the bumpers and a small ding on the body and the interior needs a bit of TLC as well. All of that for the later part of this post, but first, here's a quick recap on what happened after the last update.

Quantum Performance Remap (Stage 1)

The dieselgate fix was something which was always on the back of my mind. More than the increased clatter and the slightly but not very noticeably dumbed down power delivery, the fix had a major drawback in the form of the EGR giving up easily. While VW was offering goodwill warranty to EU customers, its quite obvious us Indians had to be grateful for the car care kit we received at the cost of losing power for no apparent fault of ours and live with our cars.

Finally, around December, 2018, the urge to do something overrode the urge to play it safe. I took 2 months to thoroughly research and get in touch with tuners and it took another 3 months to convince my dad At this juncture, I also got in touch with fellow members Iliketurtles, ChethanBG and Epic along with Tanveer_2558. Special thanks to them for entertaining all my queries even though they knew I might only be flirting with the idea and final word lay with my dad. Chethan even got on a call with my dad to answer all his queries. Thank you man! Really really appreciate it.

Long story short, I finally decided to go in for Quantum. Wolf was first priority but Rajiv and team were not going to visit Gujurat for the next 6-7 months atleast and even if they did, I would have to drive down 150km to Surat and get the remap done. Quantum on the other hand had a technician in Ahmedabad who could also come down and remap the car.

After a lot of dilly dallying, the remap was finally done around April, 2019 with the odo at around 60K km. It was a 20 minute job since most tuners have now cracked the OBD protocol for the 2.0 TDI. All in all, the remap set me back by 20K, which I think was well worth it. Here are the numbers for those who are interested:

Map: Quantum Blue (Red is for performance and Green is for efficency. Blue is a compromise between the two)

Power figures: 180Hp/400Nm (at crank as claimed by the tuner)

Post remap, there was a noticeable difference in low end torque. The car used to feel particularly sluggish in 6th gear at speeds below 100. Post remap, that issue has disappeared. The mid range as promised is where the actual fun lies. Keep the rev needle above 2000rpm and the car flies. It pulls cleanly all the way up to 4500rpm. There's no point in revving it beyond that mark anyways. All in all, its 20K very well spent. The NVH levels have also gone down considerably and the irritating tappet noises on a cold start are history.

If you own a 2.0 TDI, a remap is a must. The change has to be experienced to be believed. The engine needs it more than deserving it IMHO.

6 Month checkup

Coming to the crux of the matter, the past 2 years and 25K odd km have been extremely eventful. At around 65K km, the car went in for inspection around May, 2019. There was a metal to metal thud sound coming from the front left and that was the only complain I had. What was supposed to be a regular checkup turned out to be a hefty quote:

- The car had consumed about 250-300Ml of oil in around 10K km. A new oil can was bought and the oil topped up. Total cost was 1K

- The two rear bump stops had shown signs of wearing out. Both were replaced for a total of around 2K

- Now for the expensive bit, I was told the sound emanating from the front left was the GB mount. It had apparently been damaged due to an external impact when a rabbit came in the middle of the road. Total cost of replacement would be around 10K incl. labour, with 8.5K towards the mount itself

- The second issue was the rear wheel bearings. I was told all four rims were bent and repeated driving with bent rims had caused the bearings to give in prematurely. Total cost including labour was about 10-11K IIRC. The bearings themselves were around 3.5-4K a pop.

Total quote for the above work was coming to about 25K. I paid for the Oil top up, bump stops replacement and the general inspection and got the car back since the GB mount and bearings would have to be put on order by paying a 50% advance.

Both were consecutively replaced around July. If I thought the worst was over, I couldn't have been more wrong.

July and August 2019. Vadodara was battered with torrential rains. What seemed to be a very gloomy July morning turned out to be a day which was victim to torrential rains by afternoon. A close friend's Pajero was totalled near the airport road when water entered its interiors. The Jetta was on its way back home from the odd office run, when the rains really picked up. The roads were reported to be flooded upto bonnet level and beyond with many cars hydrolocked. My dad had no option but to wade through a lot of it. In his words, the car escaped stalling on two to three different occasions.

The next morning, it started normally, but I noticed two issues upfront. The clutch plate was stuck to the flywheel. A few pumps to the clutch pedal sorted it out fortunately. The second issue was the radiator fans were making a funny noise. Another issue was that both the fog lamp housings were flooded with water. The car was also making a very peculiar humming noise while taking turns at low speeds.

The fans were working fine so we anyway drove the car for around 1-2 months before another issue came up. The ESP, ABS and TC lights came on. It was glaringly obvious that the issue was with a failed wheel speed sensor.

5 Years/70,000 Km service

With all these gremlins to be sorted and 70K km on the clock, the car was sent to the ASC again, who came up with quite a lengthy quote.

- The General service would set me back by around 17K. Additionally, I also demanded the front brake pads be replaced. That was another 10K.

- The front right wheel speed sensor had failed and so had the front wheel bearings. All of this would set me back by around 17-20K additionally. The humming was initially blamed on this

My dad decided to go ahead with all of this, but once again, parts weren't available. The car was serviced and the brake pads changed. Additionally, the car had come back with a blown fog lamp bulb on one side as well. That would cost another Rs. 750 to set right and unsurprisingly, even that wasn't in stock.

After an excruciating wait of 25 days, all the parts arrived and the car went in finally for getting the same replaced. The following parts were changed:

- Both front wheel bearings
- Front right wheel speed sensor
- Front left fog lamp bulb

The bad news was that the humming sound had still not been sorted. The S.A finally consulted the workshop floor manager and both came to the conclusion that the tranny fluid had lost viscosity. This is the reason why friction was being generated on turns in lower gears between the gearbox and differential. The total cost for changing the oil would come to 3K. Once again, I agreed.

The Jetta went back again to VW, on a Saturday. I was initially quoted 8k, but after heckling, the SA agreed to bring it down to 5k. With this, all the issues with the car seemed to be sorted at least mechanically.

This is also where my experience with VW ASC came to an end. As if the exhorbitant labour and part costs along with unnecessary addons which my dad was okay paying wasn't a put off, I had to constantly follow up with the SA for parts. I won't primarily blame him looking at the number of cars flooding the single service centre here, but age related wear and tear had already taken a toll on the Jetta and I didn't have time to sit and wait for VW to get parts for me.

6 Years/80,000 Km service

Back from the FNG after its scheduled service and a good polish. Took a total of 5 days:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_20201016_121317.jpg

The 6th year was relatively uneventful for the car though a few things did need looking into and still do frankly. There was a very pronounced whining sound between 1500 and 2000rpm. Secondly, the ABS, ESP and TC lights had flashed up intermittently. I was dead sure a wheel speed sensor was going to give up. Cosmetically, the rear dome light switch was broken when my brother tried to fiddle with it on a bad road. The headliner has also started sagging which is a known issue on German cars.

Keeping all this in mind and the fact that I would again have to wait for parts to arrive incase something went wrong and pay through my nose, I sent the car over to a trusted FNG. Following was the work carried out:

- Compressor bearing (To sort the whining) (4K)
- Front left wheel speed sensor (3K)
- General service and oil flush (11K)
- Polishing, interior cleaning and WA/WB (4-5K)

That's about it. The car at least mechanically is now in good shape although there are some expenses coming up which I will document below.

Parts that have been changed till date in the past 6 years/80K km:

- All four wheel Bearings
- Gearbox Mount
- Serpentine Belt
- 3 Wheel speed sensors
- Bump stops
- Fog lamp bulb
- Tranny oil
- Compressor bearing
- Water pump
- Brake Pads

Parts that might need changing in the next 5-6 months:

- Clutch kit and flywheel (The clutch has gone hard and the flywheel has started making funny noises on a cold start)
- Headliner cloth (Sagging quite badly. Have been quoted 7-8K for replacement. Will be done in the next 2-3 months)
- Rear dome light (Planning to pick this one up from a scrapped Vento or Jetta/Passat)

The good news is I have found a multi-speciality garage suggested by VW maverick Epicentrulez and all three issues should be remedied there itself.

Surprisingly, the car is on stock suspension so far. The FNG mechanic gave it a clean bill of health and observed no play in the bushes or the mountings. He even said the clutch could go on for another year but I am anyways looking to replace it early since the stiffness has become unbearable for my dad.

The Michelin P3STs have done about 45K km and 4 years later, I can confidently say paying up the extra for them was worth it. They might have become hard and have a few cracks on the shoulder as well, but overall refinement and grip has been more than adequate for me. Its the only reason I might consider the P4STs instead of the cheaper Perfinzas:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img20201010wa0015.jpg

Conclusion

This is a tough one really. I will blatantly confess first off that both me and my dad seriously considered selling the car off and cashing in on the (presumable) slump in the market by picking up a Harrier AT or a Seltos. Needless to say, both plans have fallen flat on their face.

I was genuinely sure 6 months back that the Jetta TDI aka 5820 as I like to call her (now that my teenage habit of giving my cars fancy names has died a (pre)mature death) would not stick around very long. But here I am, penning down an ownership update 1 wheel speed sensor and a compressor bearing later. Its funny how the Jetta has proved me wrong. Maybe I underestimate how much my dad loves the car, or maybe its just sheer luck that she has stuck around this long.

Here's a little paragraph for what has been a constant all through these 6 years in a world full of variables

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-jet-img.jpg

Quote:
There's an old adage in English which has been repeated to death and it goes "Never forget where you started off". It's ironical how I take pride in philosophy and literature but look at such adages as obsolete entities and nothing more.

It's only once in a blue moon that these things linger on your mind, and this is one of those days. I started off as a car enthusiast when I was 13. I didn't know jackshit about cars but something about them always caught my fancy. The car you see in the picture and the man behind the wheel (which isn't me by the way) both had a pivotal role to play in what was to come. The Volkswagen Jetta is just another car for most people, but it holds a lot of value for me. I grew up with it as a teenager, fell in love with it furiously, hated it relentlessly and somehow carry the same relationship with it till this day. I have often been vocal about it missing a touchscreen, not being as reliable or rugged as a Corolla Altis and of course, a pain in the proverbial place to service thanks to Volkswagen.

But as you grow up, realisations dawn upon you. You realise the fact that not everything in this world is the way you want it to be. Falling in love with something means you accept it for the good and the bad and that's what I wasn't doing with the Jetta. If the humans who made it weren't perfect, how could the car itself be? Yes it isn't as reliable as a Japanese, the clutch is as hard as a rock, the music system won't look out of place in a 90s Mercedes W124 and Volkswagen knows how to build cars but not service them if I haven't mentioned this before. But all is forgotten once you turn the key (no start/stop button kiddos) and show it a set of twisties. The old lady might be 6 years old with a knackered suspension, sagging headliner, hard clutch and noisy tyres but she can dance quite well. The 2.0 TDI might sound like a tractor, but put your foot down and it pulls like a freight train.

All good things come to an end and I am sad to say, so is this one. My love affair with the Jetta might be nearing its end. I have a lot of things to say about it (both good and bad) but I won't hesitate from saying, the old lady has served me well
The path that lays ahead for the Jetta is a tough one. Even after repeated reassurances that the car will be retained, the current situation is too uncertain I am afraid. There's no upgrade in sight either, with a rather measly budget of 20L if I am ever forced to make a choice.

And on this uncertain note, its time to end this part of the review. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together. Due apologies for not posting too many images, since I didn't really have the time to click them through all of this. Here are a few parting shots for your viewing pleasure though:

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_20200623_182733_2.jpg

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_20200605_182130.jpg

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_20200605_185922.jpg

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_20200605_182240.jpg

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_20201020_222118.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
Just went through your thread. I'm guessing you must have learnt to drive now that you've turned 18. How many miles have you put on the Jetta? BTW that is an awesome first car to have!
There's actually a small surprise in store. The Jetta is not the first car I will drive (There have been issues getting a learner's thanks to COVID here though I turned 18 in Feb, 2020).

This little car is :
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_20200820_135638.jpg

Thanks for the wishes though. I will surely update this thread with my observations when I get to drive the Jetta extensively.

Until then,
Thank you for reading through amigos,
Ciao

Last edited by vishy76 : 21st October 2020 at 01:49.
vishy76 is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:53   #56
BHPian

Great write up on Jetta and your experiences.

This car is a tough one to let go. Frankly there is no car in the 20-23 lakh segment (currently) which can match Jetta's Safety and driving pleasure. I drive a 2012 Jetta AT and I'm sure I have seen your 5820 once on Mumbai roads.
Drivethru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Vishy, I'm glad you've hit 80k kilometers on the Jetta, and hope you bring up a ton.

I know that feeling when you want to move on from the Jetta, but find it to be a tricky proposition since there are only so many cars that fit the bill (reliable, fun, practical), even more when there isn't a huge amount of headroom by way of budget.

My sincere advice; try and hang on to the Jetta. You won't find a better steed than it unless you spend big money. If you go with one of the big 3, you'll be spending more by way of maintenance (can't skimp on it beyond a point), and if you look outside that clique, the options are a bit limited, in my mind. For instance, the 320D would definitely fit your budget, but is it that much better than the Jetta? I would argue it's about 20% better, if that, and worse in some respects. You be the judge of that.

Almost 2 years on from selling mine, I still miss her some days. She was a fabulous tourer, reasonable to maintain, and classically beautiful. They just don't make them like anymore, quite literally and figuratively.
iliketurtles is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:27   #58
BHPian

Re: 80,000Km Update

Quote:
Thanks for the wishes though. I will surely update this thread with my observations when I get to drive the Jetta extensively.

Until then,
Ciao
Amazing review!
If only I could write as well. But it comes with passion, and that one you have bucket loads of.

The jetta surely must be fun, but go out redlining on that little chevy once in a while, smaller cars are so much fun. I prefer driving my Safari for it's torque and easy to drive nature and visibility. But give me my grandpa's Maruti 800 and I'm not coming back home until I drive the wheels off of that tiny little thing. Small cars are so much fun. Hope you get your license soon and get behind the wheel soon.

Where are the teamBHP stickers?
mods, we request an infraction upon this guy!
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:11   #59
BHPian

Quote:
80,000Km Update

Its 11 in the night as I type this on the 20th of October, 2020.

|
|
|
Until then,
Ciao
I'd love to know about the headliner fix. Can you please tell who has quoted you 7-8k for the job. When I inquired from the dealer for my passat he quoted around 40k. Please update here when you get it fixed.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd October 2020 at 17:17. Reason: Please do not quote a long post. It hampers readability
Old 2nd November 2020, 23:59   #60
BHPian

Quote:
80,000Km Update

Quantum Performance Remap (Stage 1)
Nice summary. Well written.

I have a 2015 used Jetta Highline TDI AT in excellent condition, Bought it 2 years back with 45K on Odo and have maintained it very well. It has done 70 K now. I have avoided the dieselgate fix by talking to the company workshop, so the car is still explosive.

I would like your advice on Remap. Following are the queries:-

1. Quantum or Wolf and reason for preference??

2. Have you done the pollution check after remap, Is it Ok or more than before. Does it throw any black smoke under any condition/hard acceleration?? In Delhi pollution is a big issue.

3. Do you feel the need for any brake upgrade. Nothing major, probably better pads??

4. If I go for remap, would you advice getting the dieselgate fix before, or do it as it is. My car is completely stock till now.

5, What is the effect on FE.

Thanks

Most Viewed