Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 13:59   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Our Silver Sprinter - Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!

Dear fellow Bhpians,

Do excuse me for the sub par image quality along with any grammatical errors that might have crept through. Do not forget to give your inputs on the review, be it positive or negative ones.

This is the story of the Silver Sprinter

Quote:
"A car might be a mere point A --> point B commuter for the majority but there are a bunch of people who fall for these lifeless machines"
An Introduction first
Needless to say, I am one of those. My friends might call me an idiot when I try to discuss cars but then that's the truth; it's a passion which becomes extremely addictive once it gets the better of you. While my teenage friends dream of movies, Songs,parties et all I dream of what it would be like to blast through the German Autobahn at unmentionable speeds in a Jetta GLI. While they discuss about what goes into making an iPhone or the latest iPods, I marvel at those German TDIs and TSIs along with the best of the Japanese I-vtecs and dream of owning one. I love German cars, and my affection towards them has only increased since we bought the Jetta. My favourite engine has to be the 1.8 TPi used in the erstwhile Octavia Vrs. It is indeed sad that it was ditched due to fuel efficiency concerns.

Respected bhpians, presenting to you my Silver sprinter

This review will give you an insight on the Jetta in the language of a 14 year old who still can't drive. I used to think that people who drive cars were the only ones who loved them; ironically I was wrong and here I am writing a long term ownership review on my beloved silver sprinter!

Some History?

Our family(specifically my dad who is not really a petrol head) isn't exactly known for owning the most respectable mass market cars in India. Period.
This is the list of cars we have owned.

Opel Corsa 1.4 GSI

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-001-003.jpg

An underrated car by mass market standards, my dad bought it when I was born. I used to love this car down to it's frame, the German build the interior quality was much better then the Ford Ikon(an office car) which kept on giving us reliability issues through it's life. I was never attached to the Ikon for some reason, but loved the Corsa.

The silky smooth petrol motor and the bulletproof build was what made the Corsa a proper German. The lasting impression that this car left on us would eventually help the Jetta in one way or the other. Only if GMs service response would have been better after Opel shut shop.

Years owned- 6 years

Kilometres clocked-60,000 kms

Issues faced-Leaking brake reservoir

After sales-Horrendous support by GM after shutting shop

overall rating(satisfaction)-9/10

Hyundai verna VGT SX

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-vernafront.jpg

If you think that this ownership experience went smoothly(Just like it should with a korean car, right?) think again!

This car kept on giving us problems from day one including a broken seat adjuster and an extremely weak A/C compressor(an achilles heal of the 2009 Verna and even certain i20s). The car had to visit the workshop four times to get the leak sorted.
Apart from this, there were a host of other problems which the Verna gave in addition to the wear and tear parts. Although the Hyundai A.S.S were courteous all throughout, they were helpless due to the poor part quality and build.

Years owned- 5 Years

Kilometers- 75,000 km

Issues faced-Broken seat adjuster, Weak compressor, both headlights had fogged up and needed to be changed, Climate control didn't function, Poor plastic quality inside out(Steering wheel, bumpers etc), Frequented break downs which were never sorted even after visiting the service centre, Light build(The body shell had already started to rust).

After sales- 8.5/10

Overall satisfaction- 5/10

Last edited by vishy76 : 20th February 2017 at 23:30.
vishy76 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 15:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Our Silver Sprinter - Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 40,000 km & new Michelin tyres

Enter the Jetta,but how?

As already mentioned, the Verna had started to show it's age and a replacement was due. These were the cars considered:

The Contenders

Hyundai Elantra 1.6 CRDi

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-hyundaielantra02.jpg
A close family friend had bought a 1.8 petrol and was all praises for it. My dad however wasn't too keen on the 1.6 shared with it's siblings and the previous experience with our Verna had left a bitter taste in the mouth for us. The badge value might have also played a minor role here.

What we liked:

-A head turner whichever way you look at it. Fluidic styling looked swell.
-1.6 CRDi was both refined and adequately powerful.
-Automatic transmission was available at a lower price point than most competitors
-Feature loaded:Ventilated seats, audio controls on the rear armrest, cruise control etc.
-Hyundai's fuss free ownership experience and peace of mind

What we didn't like:

-1.6 was shared with the lesser Verna. Not an outright performer.
-Automatic didn't have the shift times or the precision of the VAG group gearboxes
-Rear looked too bulky and the roofline ate into valuable headroom
-Lightly built. Couldn't match the Germans or even the cruze

Toyota Corolla Altis

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_1793.jpg
The Altis had just been launched in mid 2014, when we were looking for a new car. My dad was especially keen on the reliability and was ready to go for the more versatile petrol rather then the diesel(our primary choice otherwise).

What we liked:
-A value for money offering by a known brand
-Feature loaded:Lounge lighting, projector headlamps, Touchscreen ICE with navigation etc
-A versatile 1.8 petrol with good refinement and more than adequate performance on tap
-a reliable choice in the segment
-Toyota's excellent after sales and clean track record

What we didn't like:
-Puny 1.4 D4-D was a disappointment. A more powerful engine was a must in the saloon segments
-Light build as compared to the Germans
-Not as dynamically accomplished as the Germans
-2 Airbags and ABS+EBD only on a car that cost 21 Lakhs on the road. Seriously Toyota?
-200 mm of ground clearance and the etios grill gave it an awkward stance. Styling could polarise opinions.

Out of these points, the last two were what concerned us. Toyota has seriously goofed up the equipment list when it comes to safety on the Altis. 2 Airbags an ABS+EBD wasn't acceptable for the price. Hope they sort it out on the facelift.
The stance of the car was also a bit underwhelming. My mom liked the styling while myself, my dad and my brother didn't like the overdone front.

Apart from these minor inconveniences, the Altis has the potential to second the Jetta IMO.

Chevrolet Cruze

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-2014chevroletcruzemain_625x300_81395728770.jpg
The Cruze had been my favourite since it's launch in 2008. I liked the looks of the car although it was more than 6 years old at the time of our purchase. It was owned by a close friend of mine and I had received positive reviews on the car.

What we liked:
-Aggressive looks and a good stance
-Feature loaded:Sunroof, bluetooth, cruise control etc
-Good safety kit: 4 Airbags, ABS+EBD etc
-Powerful 2.0 litre diesel was the torque king of it's segment
-A well built car that could match the German duo at least when it came to driving dynamics

What we didn't like:
-Interior quality was ordinary to say the least
-Rear legroom was average at best. Poor under thigh support
-An old offering in the D1 segment
-GMs sub par dealership experience
-fear of it being discontinued soon

What further worsened things was the availability of Test drive cars. Although the dealer was eager to sell the car, TD cars were in short supply. Finally, we were given a 2013(pre-facelift) model for test drive. The condition of the car left a lot to be desired.

Skoda Octavia

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-skodaoctavia10.jpg

The Octavia had been launched amidst quite a fan following. We had actually been to the Skoda showroom in 2013 for enquiring about the Laura, but the last fifty units had sold out by then. Had a look at the Octavia Ambience as it was within budget and fairly well loaded. The only problem was that it has 2 airbags unlike the Elegance.

What we liked:
-Clean and understated design language appealed to everyone
-2.0 TDI mated to an equally capable 6 speed DSG gearbox
-Well kitted mid variants:Touchscreen ICE, dual zone climate control, etc
-Solid build quality
-Interior design and quality was a notch above the Jetta

What we didn't like:
-The 2.0 and 1.4 diesels had an inferior torsion beam setup. Want the multilink, go for the 1.8 TSi only
-Reliability was unchartered territory since the car was a relatively new offering
-Over priced top end variants
-The mid variant only had two airbags. 6 Airbags should have been standard across the range
-Skoda's horrendous after sales and spare part availability
-lighter than the outgoing PQ-35 Laura

Deletion of a multi-link suspension was truly shocking and not fair on Skoda's part(especially when the cheaper Jetta had it as standard). Another thing worth mentioning here is the fact that the new Octavia didn't feel as solid as the Jetta. Mind you, it is still a solid car by german standards but the outright build(the heft in the doors for example)was missing.

Volkswagen Jetta

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-vwjetta202.jpg

What we liked:

-Solid build quality inside out
-Understated looks and the A4 inspired rear
-2.0 Litre TDI mated to capable manual and automatic gearboxes
-Balanced ride and handling with multilink suspension as standard
-Safety as standard:6 Airbags, ABS+EBD, ASR, EDL etc
-A car with no real deal breakers overall

What we didn't like:

-1.4 TSI was uninspiring for a petrol
-DSG only offered on the top end highline variant
-Certain goodies missing on the mid variant that the Octavia otherwise had :touchscreen ICE, bluetooth,projector headlamps etc
-Volkswagen's sub par A.S.S experience
The last point was of concern here(The rest weren't exactly deal breakers). However, the A.S.S of Volkswagen was found to be better then that of Skoda.

Renault Fluence

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-renaultfluencefacelift01.jpg

What we liked:

-Proportionate and radical design
-A unique offering in the segment
-Feature loaded:Bluetooth, cruise control, 6 Airbags
-Good build quality
-Good value for money

What we didn't like:

-Mediocre dci engine left a lot to be desired
-No petrol option offered(deleted around 2013)
-Renaults sub par A.S.S and thin dealer network
-Lack of spares and rumours of being discontinued soon

SsangYong Rexton

Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-2012oct17124206_608x342.jpg
What we liked:

-A value for money offering as compared to the Fortuner
-2.7 Litre engine was a capable mile muncher
-Go anywhere nature as compared to it's D1 sedan siblings
-Features:Cruise control, Touchscreen ICE etc

What we didn't like:

-Unreliable nature and complex electronics
-Interior quality left a lot to be desired(Couldn't even equal the Verna)
-Concerns with long term ageing
-Mahindra's sub par A.S.S experience

Last edited by vishy76 : 31st December 2016 at 15:54.
vishy76 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 16:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Our Silver Sprinter - Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 40,000 km & new Michelin tyres

The Booking Experience

The booking was done through Volkswagen Downtown(Shaman motors). The Sales Advisor Mr. Pranav was very courteous and cleared all of our doubts. The car had undergone a very minor facelift about 6 months before this test drive. The Highline now had Bi-Xenons and Dual zone climate control had been introduced as standard across the whole Jetta range.
The car we test drove was a DSG. The DSG was only available in the highline trim(a shame if you ask me!). The TD car wore a Midnight blue colour which remains my shade of preference for the Jetta to date.

Initial impressions

My dad was impressed with the car especially the road holding and the 'Tijori' type feeling that all Jetta owners swear by. We did notice the upshifts a bit at lower speeds(typical of a DSG) but the jerks were ironed out once the right foot was flexed. All in all we came out impressed with the Jetta.

On a sidenote, the Toyota showroom S.A was also extremely courteous and also followed right up until we bought the Jetta. Just says a lot about Toyota's dedication towards the Corolla and it's sales. It is truly a shame that we couldn't have a deal with him.

The Math

We were initially looking to buy the highline manual, especially for those bi-xenons and the atlanta alloy wheels, but the dealer then offered a deal that we couldn't resist.
He said that there were a few Comfortlines in stock for a while and he wanted to clear them. He said that he could do a one off deal for us and claimed that the cars were sitting for 7-9 months in the yard. It was a deal that we couldn't resist and went in for.

Curveball!
My dad called the S.A and confirmed the deal. He came over along with his colleague on 7th of November. However there was a look of worry on his face as he discussed the features. It was when we came to the ICE part that he revealed the car had undergone minor changes. Volkswagen had added bluetooth along with a new RCD-320 but deleted 4 speakers around March.
It was good on the S.As part to tell us the truth, but IMO Volkswagen should stop updating their cars too often. Coming back to the speaker issue, my dad asked the S.A to push for 8 speakers. There was also a lot of discussion on the colour. We were initially confused between Reflex silver, Toffee brown and platinum grey. After looking at the new 10 spoke sedonas, we decided to stick to silver as the alloys looked good on lighter shades.

The waiting period would be 2-3 weeks. Somewhere in between, my dad receives a call saying that the car is equipped with 8 speakers but bluetooth won't be offered to which my dad agreed.

So there it was, the final selection.

Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI Comfortline Reflex silver

That's what it said proudly on the booking form! The 21 days felt like 21 weeks to me

On a sidenote, the Trendline seems to be discontinued since the dealer said that he didn't have any stock at all and Volkswagen does not give priority to the Trendline especially on the Jettas. I haven't come across any post 2013 jetta trendines on the forum or on the road.

Delivery
The delivery was scheduled for 27th November(Thursday) but the RTO guys had a date of their own. The car was lying at the dealer's showroom but registration still hadn't taken place.
I come home on the 28th of November and get a pleasant surprise. The dealer said that the car had been registered the other night. Turns out that the RTO agent was able to text the number to the S.A and the plates were attached the next morning. Very prompt indeed!
We immediately rushed to Prabhadevi in a cab. The traffic on the way really had us worried.It took 2 hours and 40 minutes to get to the showroom. We left home at 4:30 pm and reached at around 7:00. The dealer assured us that the showroom would be open.
Reached the showroom and saw her standing there. What a moment indeed! She had ribbons all over her ready for her owner!I wanted to get inside and take a look, but the gate where she was parked was too narrow and I didn't want to end up scratching the body. While dad completed the paperwork, I had a look at another Polo ready for delivery.
The S.A was not present so his colleagues helped us with all the paperwork. He arrived shortly after. Immediately after the paperwork was completed, the car was taken out. As soon as the car was out, I checked the Odometer. The odo had only 16 Kms. We were given a quick demo of all the features and off we were.

No Fuel???
The car had only 7-8 litres worth of petrol excluding the reserve and thanks to the Mumbai traffic, the 2.0 TDI was soon running on fumes. There was a bong in the cabin and the orange fuel light came on along with a please refuel message on the MID. The MID said that the range was less than 20 km. We somehow made it to a petrol pump where she was topped up. Phew! I had my heart in my mouth. (This is probably the lowest the Jetta has ever been on fuel at the time of writing this review)

Overall Dealership experience:9/10

I would have given them a 10/10 if they could have known about a few more aspects such as the run-in period of the car. The S.A surprisingly told us that the car didn't require a run in at all. Anyways, advised my dad to drive slowly for the first 1500-2000 kms and he readily agreed. He is anyways a sedate driver.

Here's a list of what the Comfortline misses over the Highline:

Exteriors
-Bi-xenon with LED drls and dynamic cornering lights. The Bi-xenons can also level themselves automatically according to the load.

-The chrome highlight on the door beading for the side profile

-Atlanata alloys. You get Sedonas instead although the size remains the same

Interiors and convenience

-Cruise control

-RCD-510 with the touchscreen a USB and bluetooth

-12 way electrically adjustable drivers seat. Comfortline makes do with a manual adjustment but does get lumbar support

-DSG gearbox. Can't blame Volkswagen for this as the comfortline would have outsold the Highline

Lo and behold, the Silver sprinter:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-front-headlamp.jpg

Last edited by vishy76 : 20th February 2017 at 23:27.
vishy76 is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 20:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The car

The Jetta was one of the halo cars for Volkswagen along with the Passat that helped it immensely in building an image for itself. The Jetta and the Passat were the ones which gave Volkswagen the solid and premium german image which the Polo and the Vento still carry. The jetta was initially introduced with a 1.9 litre pump duse(German for "Fuel injected").
The fifth generation Jetta was a golf with a boot. Although the sales were nothing to write home about, specifically due to the weak image of D segment cars, the Jetta did create a fan base of its own thanks to the understated looks and solid build along with equally competent engines for it's time.
The corolla Altis petrol was the only one which was a threat to the Jetta but rising petrol prices made sure that the Jetta had a distinct advantage.
Owing to the introduction of the D4-D, Volkswagen finally gave us a 2.0 TDI around late 2009. The TDI had 108 Horses but importantly had more torque and a more tractable nature for coping with traffic. Come 2011, and the Jetta was facing stiff competition globally and in India. It was time to phase the 5th Generation out.

Solid build and a powerful diesel were the Jetta's USP before the mighty cruze stepped in:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-volkswagenjettatsicrdiphoto.jpg

On a side note, many of my friends think that the previous generation Jetta looked distinct and the soft curves and rounded nose helped in differentiating it from a Polo or Vento. IMO I like the edgier nose of the current generation Jetta more than the rounded one of the previous generation.

PQ-35 TAKE 2
Yup that's what the current generation Jetta is. It is still based on the same tried and tested (read: older) PQ-35 platform of the previous car. Volkswagen refers to the Jetta 2011 as an all new mark 6, I bet most bhpians know that it is still the same Jetta underneath which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The 6th gen Jetta is more of a 5.5th gen rather than an all new 6th gen.

The Jetta was back with a bang in 2011. I fell in love with the understated looks completely ignoring the Vento-esque nose (Rudra da's photography made the car look even better ) :
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-142752.jpg

Styling and exteriors
Understated, edgy, elegant yet simple are the words that come to mind when one sees the Jetta. It might seem like the Vento at first glance, but then that's where the similarities end. The side profile is clearly longer than the Vento and then you have that beautiful rear inspired by the Audi A4. There are no loud design elements and neither does the car shout for attention in the crowd something that the Altis and the 5th Gen Elantra do.

Front

The headlamps are smoked on both the Highline, which gets xenons and on the Comfortline and Trendline which get double barrel Halogens. The rounded fog lamps on the 2011 Jettas don't have a chrome surround that the Vento did, just the way I like it. There is only a subtle chrome lining on the air dam and the two slats on the grill. All in all I love the minimal use of chrome on the front. Even though there is minimal chrome , the car manages to turn heads and that does say a lot about the design. The Volkswagen logo sits proudly on top of the grille. Unlike certain other cars, the parking sensors are well integrated and don't stick out like sore thumbs or feel after market. The paint quality on the bumper is good and the plastics used here seem solid enough to withstand a certain degree of abuse.

Front fascia is typically understated:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3759.jpg

The grille uses a piano black plastic (the shiny variety), while the air dam uses a scratch resistant matte black(the rough variety) of plastic to withstand stone chips. It must also be mentioned that the chrome used on the grille and air dam is of the glossy variety and not the brushed aluminium seen on the interiors. The Volkswagen logo has been neatly integrated although it requires a notch in both the bumper and the bonnet (unlike the 2015 facelift variants).

Side profile

Clean side profile. The length is only exaggerated all thanks to the lighter silver colour:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3764.jpg

The side profile is where the similarities with the Vento end and the differences start. Even a layman will be able to differentiate between the Vento and the Jetta due to the longer wheelbase. The B-pillar has been finished in gloss black as opposed to the Polo's matte black finish. The Highline gets a subtle chrome highlight on the shoulder line. The side skirts have a rough finish at the bottom to withstand stone chip and abuse. The ground clearance has also been increased for Indian conditions, and is officially rated at 158 mm. The 16 inch Sedonas suite the car well and also complement the Executive saloon theme. The Highline gets Atlantas which have a diamond cut effect or a machined finish.

Yet again, there are no loud design elements such as heavily flared wheel arches or chromed door handles. Although the ground clearance has increased, the car doesn't look as disproportionate as the Altis which looks jacked up in comparison. The roofline is also a functional design element unlike the Elantra and aids headroom at the rear. There are no ugly black strips or spot weld marks on the roof all thanks to the laser welding technology that Volkswagen uses across its range.

The mirrors are clear form over function, but they do have an aesthetic contribution:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3758.jpg

Rear

The Jetta's styling really comes into it's own especially when it comes to the rear. Almost all of my relatives think it resembles an A4. There is again no use of chrome here, unlike certain other cars which have a cheesy looking number plate garnish. What adds to the A4 resemblance is the fact that Volkswagen added LED number plate lights on the 2013 facelifts. The icy blue colour of the lights does make a lot of difference and I would highly recommend that the pre 2013 Jetta owners get these fitted as a simple DIY.

Clean, proportioned rear styling clearly derives inspiration from the erstwhile A4:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3760.jpg

The tail lamps have been smartly designed so that they pass of as LEDs to the layman although they use normal Halogenous bulbs. What is truly a shame is that there is only a single fog lamp offered on the jetta although it gets two reversing lights. There is an empty slot on the left tail lamp for a foglamp but Volkswagen seems to have skimped these. An omission which could have been avoided.

The four parking sensors are again well integrated into the bumper. Dual exhaust pipes look meaty and add to the overall appeal of the rear. The lower portion of the bumper has been blacked out to break the bulk at the rear and a set of reflectors have also been provided.

All in all a timeless design that is sure to offend none and more importantly age well. The car doesn't look menacing and there is no wow factor to it, but it is sure to impress with crisp and simple lines laid out in an elegant manner.

Build Quality

This is surely one part of the review where I have a huge smile pasted on my face. The Jetta is surely one of the most solid cars available this side of the 30 Lakhs mark. From the satisfying thud that you get when you slam the doors shut to the heavy bonnet, all of it gives you an impression of how well built the car is. Vw also states that there are steel cross beams in the doors. I couldn't agree more.

Paint quality is also a notch above other cars I have seen till date. There is barely any orange peel at all and the silver leaf colour has a metallic lustre when you view it in well lit conditions. The paint also appears to be very thick maybe because of the so called 12 stage paint process that Volkswagen uses.

The quality of steel used was found to be much thicker than our Verna which felt like a hollow shell in comparision. Volkswagen has a 6 year corrosion warranty for the Jetta as standard.

The 16 inch sedonas add to the Executive saloon theme. Shod with one of the noisiest tyres, the crappy Goodyear NCTs:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20161231_1506033456x1944.jpg

The door handles are thinner than you did expect, but solid nonetheless. Also note the presence of beading between the two doors which would otherwise leave an ugly gap:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20161231_151627.jpg

The ORVMs get puddle lamps underneath. Extremely useful on poorly lit streets and also have a healthy throw of light:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170101_1517173456x1944.jpg

Laser welding means that there are no ugly spot weld marks on the roof thus eliminating the need of any beading here:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20161231_1515023456x1944.jpg

Although panel gaps are tight for the most...
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-panel-gap.jpg

I could find a slightly wider and uneven panel gap near the bonnet area:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170102_2019443456x1944.jpg

Frameless wipers as expected of a car from this class:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20161231_1516093456x1944.jpg

A look at the rain and light sensor mounted on top of the windshield. Some might find it to be a bit too sensitive especially for the headlamps:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-rls.jpg

Shark fin diversity antenna has good reception. Surprisingly, Volkswagen's brochure states that only the Highline gets it, but I have also seen it on the Trendline:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-shark-fin.jpg

A zoom in on the air dam. This is probably the external temperature sensor:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-temp-sensor.jpg

Double barrel halogens look swell. Also get halogen daytime running lights:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3747.jpg

Volkswagen could have offered LED DRLs on a supposedly premium car:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-drl.jpg

I love the way the Chassis number is displayed below the windscreen. You can view it from outside, but it is only physically accessible when you open the bonnet:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-chassis-number.jpg

Fog lamps have excellent lateral throw:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-front-fog-lamp.jpg

Both the headlamps and fogs switched on. Headlamps have a strictly average throw though:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3746.jpg

Proudly wears the Volkswagen logo:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-vw-logo.jpg

ORVMs get integrated blinkers and are electrically foldable:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3771.jpg

The front three quarter view. The length isn't very obvious from this angle though:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3786.jpg

Glossy B-pillar is prone to scratches. The Polo gets a matte black finish here. Glass area is generous:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3789.jpg

Poorly integrated mud flaps stick out like sore thumbs. You can see the rear reflector peeping out behind:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3790.jpg

A close look at the stop lamp. The Octavia has it positioned on top of the rear windshield:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-hmsl.jpg

A close look at the muffler tip. Luckily, use of chrome has been kept to a minimal and there is none used on the muffler tip:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-exhaust.jpg

Last edited by vishy76 : 20th February 2017 at 23:48.
vishy76 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 16:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The Interiors (Front)

Ingress isn't the easiest, elderly will have to take note although it isn't too bad. The centre fascia is tilted towards the driver:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170101_1534072143x1185.jpg

The understated theme continues on the inside. The interiors are beige which does give an airy feeling to the cabin as a whole and will also have a wider mass market appeal.Some might find the dashboard to be boring, but I lile the functional layout. The chrome used on the inside doesn't exactly qualify as chrome and looks like brushed aluminium instead. Quality of plastics used is top notch albeit a tad too hard. Although the whole dashboard is soft to touch, there are no such plastics on the door pads(like it's erstwhile sister Laura).

The A/C vents have a touch of brushed aluminium and feel solidly built (unlike it's younger siblings). Unlike the Altis, all of these have an independent air volume control, and have a healthy throw of air.

The touch of faux wood does help in lifting the spirits inside the cabin. The faux wood does have a very plastic feeling to it although it fairs well in the aesthetics department. Swapping it for a more grainy texture has also been done on our forum as well as internationally and is a simple DIY process.

The only gripe I have with the interiors is that the lower part of the dashboard as well as the carpeting is beige and a pain to maintain!. Black carpeting should be standard on all Indian cars and black interiors should have been an option at least.

There are many feel good touches as expected of a German car. The glove box has a damped action to it and there are rubber dampers to prevent it from rattling. The only thing that I miss having is felt lining, which would have definitely added to the feel good experience.

The front seats are very comfortable and aid support at all the right places. While the Highline gets a 12 way electrically adjustable drivers seat (without memory functions though) the Comfortline has to make do with manual controls although it does have a lumbar support for the driver. The height adjustment also has a healthy range and combined with the steering which is adjustable for rake as well as reach, it does not take time to find the correct driving position. It must be mentioned though that the dashboard is set on the higher side and short people might take some time to get used to this.

All the controls are logically laid out including the stalks behind the steering wheel and the German headlight stalk. Even the controls for the dual zone climate control or climatronic as Volkswagen calls it are well laid out. The centre console is also slightly tilted towards the driver.

All the buttons in the cabin have a very tactile feel and are great to touch and operate. Look closely and you will notice clever touches of German engineering such as the rubber padded A/C knobs. The lights also have a theatre dimming effect.

All the lights and electronics in the cabin go off after you lock the car. You need not be worried about the cabin lamp that you have accidentally left switched on.

The cabin also has practical touches such as the two cup holders behind the gear lever and the bottle holders in the door pads which can easily accommodate 1 litre bottles each. There is also a small cubby hole below the centre console and it has a 12 volt charging socket along with the aux input port nestled next to it.

The steering wheel is great to hold. Also has thumb contours and is clad in anti slip leather:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-rsz_img_3594.jpg

Adjustable for rake as well as reach. The adjustment lever feels solid to use:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-steering-adjust.jpg

Controls for the MID are on the right.....
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170102_2008392304x1296.jpg

While those for the music system are to the left spoke. The voice command and call button are dummies. While the call button does nothing on the Comfortline, the voice command acts as a mute button:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170102_2005042304x1296.jpg

The instrument cluster is simple and easy to read. White backlighting and red needles have a good aesthetic impact. Also has a good ol temperature gauge. Audi influence is obvious here. It has been covered in a separate post:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-rsz_img_3604.jpg

The air con is a bone chiller. Dual zone climate control as standard across variants. Dummy buttons for the seat heatign function absent on the Indian variants. Knobs and switches have a very tactile feel. Look closely and you will find that the knobs have rubber grips!
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170101_153721_crop_1058x411.jpg

A look at the centre console. The red backlighting looks cool. Note that the hazard light switch is also backlit:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170102_2004413456x1944.jpg

The gear knob is a joy to hold and use. Both the petrol and diesel get similar gear knobs unlike before. You have to push the lever down and slot into 1st for reverse:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3777.jpg

Leather wrapped hand brake is ergonomically placed. Don't miss the brushed aluminium release switch:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3785.jpg

A/C vents feel fairly robust to operate. All vents have an individual air volume control :
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20161231_1508154561x2566.jpg

The German headlight stalk. While it does take some getting used to, it is much better than crowding the stalks behind the steering wheel. The stalk can also be pulled outwards to access different settings. Besides it is the headlamp leveller and the scroller wheel for adjusting the brightness of the instrument cluster as well as the interior backlights:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170101_1515492957x1885.jpg

The door plastics are harder in contrast to the ones found on the dashboard. The ORVMs are electrically adjustable, foldable and heated too. The adjustment knob doubles up as a joystick:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170101_1532073943x1705.jpg

The whole dashboard is soft to touch. Don't miss the airbag symbol. 6 Airbags as standard across the range:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3780.jpg

The IRVM is an auto dimming mirror. Has a switch underneath to switch between manual and auto modes:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170212_135005_crop_930x336.jpg

All window switches are backlit. One touch up down with anti-pinch protection for all windows as standard across variants :
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170101_1529283684x2566.jpg

The map light console. Not as intuitive to use as the rest of the cabin but not too bad either once you get used to it. Also note the two black spots (which are LEDs). They throw a warm red glow at night on the gear lever:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170105_2353052958x1944.jpg

Height adjustable seatbelts. Also note that the seatbelts are black in colour unlike the impractical beige found on certain cars:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170101_1528332103x1943.jpg

Height adjustable seat along with the usual recline settings and lumbar support. The passenger also gets a height adjustable seat. All three settings have a healthy range. Notice how the beige has soiled after 2 years of use:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20161231_1514033456x1944.jpg

ABC pedals are well spaced out. The dead pedal is also Long and wide enough and you will use it often thanks to the 6th gear. The accelerator is an organ type pedal. The rods which suspend the brake and clutch also feel very solid:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20161231_1515173456x1944.jpg

The bonnet release lever is neatly integrated and sits flush with the footwell:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170101_1527453456x1944.jpg

A look at the door mounted speaker. Notice the rebadged window switch which is actually the boot release switch in the image:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3783.jpg

The tweeter is mounted on the A-pillar:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3782.jpg

Fuse box cover. It is difficult to remove but you won't need to wrestle with it too much thanks to the logical placement of the OBD Port:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170101_1530453498x2566.jpg

Last edited by vishy76 : 20th February 2017 at 22:25.
Old 8th January 2017, 14:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

ICE and MID(Multi information display)

ICE

The music system belongs to the RCD family of ICEs and coupled to the 8 speakers, produces good sound quality. At least I don't see any of the average customers complaining although audiophiles would have wished it had better bass.

User interface and aesthetics are two places where I see it fairing poorly. The user interface is not very friendly and browsing through folders can get confusing. The monochrome display isn't the largest one you will find and there is no touchscreen either.

Another problem is the lack of bluetooth or even USB. Sure, I don't miss them thanks to the aux cable, but you expect these features as standard on a 20 lakh car.

You get 4 speakers+4 tweeters placed around the cabin.

Buttons for the menus and radio are otherwise well laid out and you won't miss the touchscreen for the most.

The ICE has good sound quality, but doesn't do justice to the centre console design. Has good radio reception:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170102_200648_crop_974x518.jpg

The usual inputs including an SD card, a CD input and an aux in. Bluetooth and USB should have been standard at this price point:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170102_2122522779x1460.jpg

The HU doesn't display the track info sometimes. Maybe a problem with my SD Card:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170102_200759_crop_873x518.jpg

There are settings for the bass and treble. Basic ones but they do work:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170102_2121412760x1406.jpg

Seen here is the balance adjustment. All such settings can be adjusted using the knob towards the right:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170102_2121022742x1468.jpg

MID(Multi information display)

The MID is a comprehensive one and throws out useful information as you drive along. Note that only the Comfortline and Highline variants had this so called MID plus display. The Trendline had a maxidot cluster like the Laura. However, as of 2015 all the variants get the MID as standard.

Outside temperature and time are displayed along with the trip meter. One can cycle through various screens using the steering mounted controls on the right spoke. Luckily, there are no ugly stalks jutting out of the instrument cluster.

The MID also displays exactly which door is open. It can also display whether the boot or the bonnet are left ajar:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170101_1521023003x1944.jpg

A lot of data can be accessed on the MID:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-instrument-cluster-collage-2.jpg

You can also alter the vehicle settings such as the coming home and leaving home features:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-instrument-cluster-3.jpg

The MID all lit up. The red needles contrast the white backlighting well:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-rsz_img_3604.jpg

Last edited by vishy76 : 11th February 2017 at 13:17.
vishy76 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 15:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Interiors(Rear)

The rear seat is where most Jetta owners will spend their time and Volkswagen does seem to have done a good job here considering that the Jetta was actually developed as a Compact family sedan in the USA. However, one thing that is still the Jetta's USP (be it India or the USA) is rear seat comfort along with the excellent legroom.

The bolstering of the seats is on the firmer side. I see it as a boon for longer journeys although it may turn out to be an irritant on shorter trips.The seats themselves are otherwise well cushioned and offer good under thigh support even for 6 footers.

The only fly in the ointment? You guessed it right, the floor hump. Volkswagen claims that it adds to the structural rigidity of the car in an impact and prevents deformation. Either ways, makes sure the one siting here is not a near or dear one. The hump does have the potential of turning friends into enemies.

One thing where the Germans lack behind the Japanese is packaging. Yes, there is more than enough space here, but look closely and you know Volkswagen could have done better. For instance, the seats could have extended upto the entire width of the cabin and the floor could have been flatter as mentioned before.

There are also A/C vents underneath the front seats and you get rear A/C vents although there is no independent blower. The cabin is also cooled well at the rear thanks to the powerful compressor.

A look at the rear door pad. A speaker and a tweeter ensure that rear passengers as happy as the ones at the front. Again, the faux wood insert looks good:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3793.jpg

Rear A/C vents are very effective. Note the 12 volt socket. They are a bit flimsy though. You will have to look closely to spot that the right vent is broken:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170101_1525472367x2566.jpg

Aluminium door handles wreek of sheer quality:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3794.jpg

Last edited by vishy76 : 20th February 2017 at 22:02.
Old 11th February 2017, 14:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The 2.0 TDI

The driving inputs are a mixed bag of what my chauffeur and my dad perceive the car to be. I might have made some errors here. Experts, do not refrain from correcting me in this department although I have tried my best.

The 2.0 TDI is a fairly reliable engine by German standards and is still one of the most commonly used engines in the VAG group. Employs direct injection along with a Turbocharger and a double overhead camshaft(DOHC):
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-ea288engine.jpg

The 2.0 TDI employs a Bosch injection nozzles along with a Turbocharger and an intercooler. Interestingly, it also has something called an altitude compensation ECU and is euro IV compliant. It is available in a variety of tunes ranging from 47 kW all the way upto 103 kW. It is used in a range of cars starting from the Jetta and Golf all the way upto the Dodge Avenger and Audi A6.

Power figures stand as follow:

138 BHP @ 4200 RPMs

320 NM torque @ 1750-2500 RPMs

Though the horsepower numbers might not impress petrol heads, it's the torque which is the talking point of the 2.0 TDI. In typical German fashion, it's not how much power is delivered but how it is delivered that matters.

Slot the key fob into ignition and the Jetta compels you to depress the clutch. If you don't, the Jetta won't crank and there will continuously be a depress clutch warning on the MID. Turn the key and the 2.0 fires up, eventually settling into a muted thrum. While the clatter might be evident on the outside, there is none of it felt in the cabin. Matters only improve as the engine heats up. Even when you rev the TDI hard, you will only hear a distinct thrum and a turbo whistle but there will be no clatter or tractor like sound like the Vento.

Slot the 6 speeder into first and tap the gas pedal, you will be surprised as to how easy the Jetta is to live with in the city. Low end response is excellent and the Jetta won't mind if you lug it around in 2nd or even 3rd gear. There is a minimal need to slip the clutch (something that I have heard certain 1.4 TSI owners complaining about) and the light steering only improves matters further for you. On the other hand, the clutch is slightly on the heavier side, although the kick back isn't too violent and the throw is average. The Jetta thus makes for a good in-city commuter and you won't find anyone complaining. The Jetta feels a much smaller car than it actually is, but do keep the sheer length in mind while tackling crowded streets.

The Jetta is also equally fun to drive on the highways, Yes, there has been a reduction in power after the infamous recall, and the top end doesn't quite have the punch that it did before, but the tall 6th gear and an eager engine with non-existent turbo lag still make sure that the Jetta is one of the best cars to drive around in.

Slam your right foot, and the 2.0 TDI gives out an addictive roar accompanied by a surge in acceleration. Keep the Jetta above 1750 RPMs and the performance on tap can put a smile to your face. The Turbo kicks in at 1750 RPMs and the engine pulls relentlessly upto the 4000 RPMs mark. The goodyears struggle for grip when you launch the Jetta hard, one of the reasons why a tyre change is a must when you take delivery. The dignified road manners only help in this respect (More on that later). You can truly make some good progress on the highways.

On the cruising front, the magical 100 Km/h marks sees the TDI do a meagre 1650 RPMs. While you do get exceptional fuel economy, the tall 6th gear also means that you will need do downshift for an overtaking manoeuvre if you are doing anywhere below a 100 Km/h. At 130 Km/h, the rev needle is hovering around the 2000 RPMs mark. A slight prod on the gas pedal is all that's needed for an instant overtake. The engine is extremely refined while doing these speeds, while the only fly in the ointment is tyre noise from the rock hard Goodyears.

On the fuel efficiency front, I saw figures drop to as low as 10-12 Km/l in the city. On the flip side, the Jetta did exceptionally well on the highways, doing nearly 20 km/l under constant speeds. On a rather interesting note, I found that keeping the engine around the 2000 RPMs mark (in the turbo zone) gave me almost 20.9 Km/l, while keeping it around 1500-1650 RPMs saw the Jetta do 19 Km/l. The turbo does have a minor contribution in the FE figures.

The 6 speed manual is truly a treat to use. While some might find it to be slightly vague, I like the way in which it slots so easily. I had a go at the gearbox when the car was stationary and also tried the City's gearbox(belongs to my grandfather). While the City did have a very direct feeling to it, I liked the Jetta more. However, if it was enthusiast driving, it would be the City's gearbox for it's slightly direct and connected nature.

All in all I don't see many people complaining about the engine even after the recall. Enthusiasts will surely find the top end to be weak, but a remap is not needed otherwise.

The 2.0 is the maximum displacement that can be accommodated by the engine bay. The international Jetta also gets a 2.0 TFSI petrol:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-2.0-tdi.jpg

The battery is neatly covered in an insulated jacket:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-battery-jackect.jpg

The air box is located right next to the engine:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-air-box.jpg

The air mass sensor on the intake tubing. Basically tells the ECU to supply more fuel if the quantity of air is less (at higher altitudes for instance). Maybe that's why they call it altitude compensation ECU:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-air-mass-sensor.jpg

The alternator is a bit difficult to access:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-alternator.jpg

Fuel filter:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-brake-pump.jpg

The washer fluid bottle. Also has a filter inside to ensure that no solid debris enters through. Don't miss the Audi branded pipe in the background:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-wiper-reseroir.jpg

Coolant reservoir is oddly shaped. Only pink coolant or water to be used. Also gets the wiring harness for monitoring coolant levels:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-coolant-reservoir.jpg

Seen here is the ECU. Gets proper plastic cladding to protect it from the elements of nature:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-ecu.jpg

Bonnet catch has a very simple press to open action:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-bonnet-catch.jpg

The bonnet strut has plastic cladding for grip:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-bonnet-holder.jpg

The engine without the cover:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3756.jpg

The suspension mounts get proper cladding on top unlike the ugly naked ones on certain other cars:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-suspension-mount.jpg

The variable geometry turbo pictured here. Gets an insulation sheet too:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-turbo.jpg

Steering, suspension and NVH

The steering wheel is an EPS unit or an electrically assisted one, much different to the hydraulic one that we had in the Corsa. The EPS remains light at city speeds. It doesn't take many turns from lock to lock and this only adds to the convenience. The non-existent turbo lag and a light steering go a long way in making sure that the Jetta is a breeze to drive within the city.

The EPS also ways up well on the highways. There is not a lot of feedback from the steering, but the accuracy means that you can point the Jetta anywhere and attack the corners. The steering has a confidence inspiring feel otherwise and has none of the discomforting artificial feel or vagueness that the normal EPS units are associated with.

The suspension setup is definitely on the stiffer side. You will feel the stiffness at low speeds but it's never discomforting or jarring. The jetta will absorb majority of the bumps and it's only the sharper bumps that filter through a bit. Pick up the pace and the suspension will dismiss all the bumps and the ride will become absolutely flat. On the flip side, suspension noise is definitely higher than expected and you can hear the thudding sound often associated with these kind of setups.

The multi link suspension does wonders on the handling front too. The rear remains extremely composed during high speed maneuvers and the car feels extremely planted in any situation. Mid corner bumps don't upset the Jetta either all thanks to the stiff setup.

Even while pushing hard through corners, the front grips very well for a car for this size and getting the power in will see the Jetta understeer in a very predictable manner. The presence of EDL or electronic differential lock helps the car hold a line and zip through it . ESP also ensures that you don't make a mess of an emergency maneuver.

The brakes do an excellent job of stoping the car. The Jetta comes with all four corner disc brakes and the break pedal also feels very precise and confidence inspiring to shed all that speed. It has become a bit soft after 37,000 kms on the odo. Will need to get it checked at the next inspection.

NVH levels are extremely well controlled all thanks to the fully clad wheel arches. Road noise and wind noise are kept at bay althought the tyre noise causes some serious intrusion and creates a racket in an otherwise silent cabin.

Ground clearance is also adequate and combined with the stiff suspension ensures that the car doesn't sag too much when it is loaded fully. The mud flaps though are poorly designed. They are unnecessarily large and are the only part of the car which won't clear speed breakers.

All in all, the Jetta surely impresses on the handling front for a car of its size. Although you won't find yourself complaining about the handling, I have seen many members upgrading the dampers to Bilstien B6 ones for tackling body roll.

The underbody is very neat, all thanks to the sump guard:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-underbody.jpg

Front suspension stabiliser along with the spring and dampers:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-front-stab.jpg

The rear dampers. Also note the full wheel well cladding:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-front-shock-.jpg

The multi-link suspension setup does have a tendency to thud over bumps:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-multi-link-suspension.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2017 at 22:11. Reason: As requested :)
vishy76 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 11:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

After sales and reliability
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170212-11.56.53.jpg

What's a long term ownership review without the after sales review? The car has been serviced at two workshops as of today in two different cities. I will start with Shaman Automobiles Mumbai, Sewri. The car was only serviced twice though, and I can't comment on how they handle the major services or repairs.

Shaman Automobile,Sewri

1000 Kms Checkup

A very minor checkup of all the fluids and the underbody in general along with cleaning done for free. My dad received a call for the same and there was also a pick up and drop facility available. The car was courteously serviced and they also found the driver side door beading to be loose and fixed it. All in all a very pleasant experience with the workshop this time.

7500 Kms checkup

This was another checkup. One incident worth mentioning here is that my dad had forgotten to remove the SD card for the HU. The Service advisor was extremely courteous and immediately called us. We asked him to keep the card for the time being and deliver it the next day which he did.

All in all a professional experience with Shaman, although a few have reported mixed reviews with regard to their services.

Volkswagen Automark, Vadodara

15,000 Kms service

The first major service was done after the car helped us in moving house from Mumbai to Vadodara. This was a major service which included the oil and coolant change along with the air filter and other consumables. Wheel alignment was also done here. The total bill came to about Rs. 15,000.

Unfortunately, there was no pick up and drop facility and my dad had to travel to Navayard in order to drop and pick the car up. The job done was satisfactory. There was nothing exceptional about the overall experience, but nor was there anything to complain about in general.

22,500 Kms checkup

A minor checkup again. Nothing much to report. They did have the car for one whole day though from morning to evening at around 4.00 pm which was a minor inconvenience.

30,000 Kms service

A major service interval and the oil and coolant was changed again here. All consumables were changed and it took them one whole day to service the car. I had to send the chauffeur to collect the car the next morning.
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170212-11.57.24.jpg

Totals service cost: Rs. 15,300

Issues reported

- Door rattles (Sorted out after a lot of deliberation)

Emissions recall

My dad received a phone call asking him to get the car updated numerous times. There was also a minor issue with the car; the DRL had conked off and the engine check light had come on. So sent the Jetta off to the A.S.S again.

Issues reported

-Front left DRL fused (solved)

-Engine check light (Was a minor oil leak and the pipe was tightened)

Both the DRLs were changed and the car was given a wash as a goodwill gesture. Charged me around Rs. 200 for both the DRLs but the recall and oil leak along with the cleaning was free. Again, they kept the car for one whole day from morning to afternoon around 6.00 Pm.

All in all, the A.S.S experience has been satisfactory at Automark considering the negative reviews I received before. They do need to improve on time management and diagnose faults with a bit more of professionalism.

Issues faced till date

- Broken rear A/C vent (Not planning to get this fixed. They are charging a bomb for this and the A/C vent isn't affecting the air flow, so can live with it for now at least)

- Driver's side door beading was loose (Fixed)

- Front left DRL fused (Both DRLs replaced for Rs. 200)

- Front passenger window switch backlighting (Will get it fixed at the next service)

- Oil leak (Loose oil pipe tightened free of cost-

- Door rattles (Fixed)

The car itself has been fairly reliable until now (touchwood), and I just hope it remains this way. As of now the car has clocked excess of 37,000 Kms and is still as good as new except for two minor scratches on the front and rear bumper along with a minute dent on the rear right door.

Last edited by vishy76 : 13th February 2017 at 20:37.
vishy76 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 14:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The lesser known facts

PDI has been done by Skoda:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20161231_1516344561x2566.jpg

Typical vw key fob. The spare is also a remote key:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170212_144743.jpg

Security system light is placed ergonomically. Flashes when you lock the car:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170102_2012154561x2566.jpg

The headlight switch at night:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-20170102_2008474561x2566.jpg

The Jetta GLI with the 2.0 TFSI has to be my favourite Jetta to date. Truly a monster. Available with a 6 speed manual as well:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-images.jpg

Also gets these sweet looking interiors:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-jettagli2016interior.jpg

Ughh. The international Jetta gets a start stop button:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-2014volkswagenjettapushstart.jpg

The windows are sourced from saint Gobain:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-window-manu.jpg

The windscreen washers are integrated with the bonnet. As a result, you can see this pipe being neatly routed through to the bonnet:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-wiper-pipe.jpg

No need for the diesel markings. A pump attendant will instantly know from the noise itself. Yes, the Elantra might need it though . Tyre pressures are also indicated here :
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3761.jpg

Other points

-The car remembers that you locked it even if you haven't shut one of the doors. This way, as soon as you shut the open door, the car will lock itself automatically. You need not lock it again.

-The Auto headlamp feature is a breeze to us along with the coming and leaving home headlamps. You don't need to touch the headlamp stalk. Simply leave it in Auto unless you want to use high beam.

-The 2011 Jetta had an option to shut off the DRLs in the MID menu. Missing on the later post 2012 models

-Strangely, I can't get the MID to show me the coolant temperature. Can any Jetta owner guide me on this?

-Car enthusiasts, don't expect the service centre folks to be half as enthusiastic as you are. They just get the job done. That's it.

-Do make sure that you don't switch the ignition on while changing the HU or removing the centre console. The airbag system will throw up a light immediately which can only be cleared by a Ross tech tool. This does not apply for the post 2015 Jettas which have the airbag light placed near the hazard light switch and not integrated into the centre console

-The steering mounted controls have a clicky feedback when pressed. The back button for the MID is very convenient to use

-Volkswagen is not launching the next gen Jetta in India. We will probably get an SUV positioned below the Tiguan and based on the Polo platform

-Standard warranty of 2 years/1,00,000 kms. Extended warranty wasn't opted for, much to my dismay

To sum it all up I would like to quote myself from a facebook post:
Quote:
37,000 gruelling kilometers. For me, time hasn't passed by at all. She just looks as if she is out of the showroom floor and each and every time I see her, I can't help but remember the first time we exchanged looks when she was decked with ribbons and I fell for her. It's been to karnataka, Rajasthan and Kerala since then and has tackled all of the poorly engineered roads that we threw at her although she was only meant for well paved German autobahns.
People usually lose interest in things as time goes by, but my love for this machine just keeps on increasing. They say that a German car can outlast its owner, and I couldn't agree more. I can still argue with people on the service costs, the price and reliability but the one thing I always look back at and smile is the Jetta.
I will keep the thread updated. I just hope that it was a joy to read for all of the members as much as I enjoyed putting it all together.

A parting shot:
Our Silver Sprinter -  Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI. EDIT: 92,000 km up!-img_3773.jpg

Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 20th February 2017 at 23:49.
vishy76 is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 00:01   #11
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing the report.
Eddy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 06:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

The review has left me speechless for a while! Awesome write up. Continue this way and you will certainly be in contention for being chosen a team-bhp moderator.

You have a keen eye for detail. That you can't drive as yet doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect on the quality of the review. You have done a good job with inputs from your father (the actual driver). And the research you have done to present a complete picture, deserves a special mention too. Hats off.

I wish all 14 year olds could write like you .

Last edited by dailydriver : 21st February 2017 at 06:16.
dailydriver is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 08:07   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The review has left me speechless for a while! Awesome write up. Continue this way and you will certainly be in contention for being chosen a team-bhp moderator.

You have a keen eye for detail. That you can't drive as yet doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect on the quality of the review. You have done a good job with inputs from your father (the actual driver). And the research you have done to present a complete picture, deserves a special mention too. Hats off.

I wish all 14 year olds could write like you .
Thanks a lot sir. It's only encouraging words like these from bhpians and official reviews that have actually brought out the enthusiast in me. I just hope that I can continue to make contributions like these to the forum

regards,
vishy
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 10:05   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You are lucky man, you are lucky.

1. At 14, you write like a pro .

2. You will learn how to drive on this car. What we had were half-a-century old designs (Padmini, Ambassador). Just take care - 140 horses is a lot for a fresh driver, but hey, you also have a 5-star safety rated car to start off on.

3. You own an icon. The Jetta was recently discontinued and there's no other all-rounder like it in the segment. The Octavia's build is lighter & all of its variants don't get that awesome multi-link rear.

Thanks for sharing this awesome review! It's going straight to the homepage.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 10:11   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You are lucky man, you are lucky.

1. At 14, you write like a pro .

2. You will learn how to drive on this car. What we had were half-a-century old designs (Padmini, Ambassador). Just take care - 140 horses is a lot for a fresh driver, but hey, you also have a 5-star safety rated car to start off on.

3. You own an icon. The Jetta was recently discontinued and there's no other all-rounder like it in the segment. The Octavia's build is lighter & all of its variants don't get that awesome multi-link rear.

Thanks for sharing this awesome review! It's going straight to the homepage.
Completely agree with what you have said about the Jetta. It represented a period in the Indian industry where we warmed up to German brands and eventually fell for them in the mainstream segments.

1. It's actually 15. My birthday today. Thanks for the appreciation. It's good to hear this from a car enthusiast and moderator who writes detailed official reviews

2. My dad is apprehensive about handing over the car to me since he knows that I was considering a remap and whoever considers a remap means serious speed . He is more keen on giving me a second hand car but he knows that too will be nothing less than a punto

3. I just hope that we do get the MQB Jetta although it won't be half as good as this one if vw resorts to cost cutting and gives us the cheap torsion beam suspension and light build

Last edited by vishy76 : 21st February 2017 at 10:17.
vishy76 is online now   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed