Team-BHP - Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/18313-tata-safari-dicor-3-0l-vx-4x4-lehd-105k-kms-up-auf-wiedersehen-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 511421)
Thanks buddy, no idea what had caused it, it was an irritating "chrrrrrrr" kind of a noise, didn't ask him how he diagnosed & fixed it. I'd tried gentle pressure, thumping & banging but it hadn't worked:p.

The Sr Works Manager told me that they were getting quite a few of the "Check Engine" light issue and a few of the oil leak variety (the latter being diagnosed in one case as a chamber design problem) - we both touched wood that mine had not developed problems in those areas....YET (lol: )

You are right... oil leakage seems to be a problem with almost all safari's. I hope TATA is acting on to this... does this mean that people will get the new chamber as a retrofit and i hope they dont have to open up the engine for this please:

suman

are u getting that gharrrrrrr noise still which you mentioned a few months back.. surprisingly, mine almost vanished after 10k service..and there is now a little trace of it now.

I am extremely now surprised that this 2tonner stays extremely composed and calm @30kmph in third gear...especially after 10k service..(they did reflash my ecu)

Milage seems to be picking up slightly (poor 10 to better 11.2 city drive (even with stop go stop go..imagine doing 2 kms in 30mins everyday :( ). Maybe becoz, I am changing my driving habbits and trying to keep this beast in between powerband of 1500-1800 most of the time in city where ever it permits..

The only update is that I am getting my drv side window glass replaced FOC as it has some sort of chips on the edges (note this is not exposed & is in the inside part of the door).
Dealer has taken pics of the same and sent it back to HQ and they agreed to replace it. So @15k i will get a new drv side glasspane.

Some sqeaks coming from left side also would be attended in this service, but not at all a showstopper.

So far so good & i am pretty OK.

Quote:

Front brake pads were showing uneven wear & tear - both sides replaced under warranty
Hi! Suman, Brake pads replaced under warranty, impressive. I have never heard something like this before. I think Maruti should learn something from them. As Maruti clearly mentions, " consumables are not included in the warranty."

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsepower (Post 511896)
Hi! Suman, Brake pads replaced under warranty, impressive. I have never heard something like this before. I think Maruti should learn something from them. As Maruti clearly mentions, " consumables are not included in the warranty."

LOL! just got my alto's brake pads replaced under warranty after 11K kms and 1.5yrs. They were showing uneven wear and they replaced it with a new pair. the other pair was fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahulk76 (Post 511872)
suman

are u getting that gharrrrrrr noise still which you mentioned a few months back.. surprisingly, mine almost vanished after 10k service..and there is now a little trace of it now.

It was actually a Trrrrrr:) and it happens once in a bluemoon, just when you think that its gone for good:Frustrati ........but its fine as it is not a continuous irritant any longer.

Good to hear that most of your problems seem to have gone away

I got my 10K service done 10 days back and just cant believe the performance of teh car. It is much better with no smoke, no rattles and smooth drive.....

its always heart warming to hear that one's vehicle is serving his owner well.
wishing you endless miles of happy motoring suman.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 511421)
...it was an irritating "chrrrrrrr" kind of a noise,

TD: My safari has also started making this funny 'chrrrrrr' noise - specially when i turn the steering to the left (even slightly). The sound is very irritating! Need to get it checked

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 511342)
...had a long chat with my friend the Sr Works Manager (got updates on Testdrive's issues as well - is it fixed?),

TD: Well, the oil is still leaking! They had done some temporary fix by putting adhesive seal in the oil sump/gasket area. That obviously hasn't worked. I have just informed Tata and Dhingra about it today as i wanted to observe the leakage for few days...

The black smoke problem continues...

Take Care!

Quote:

Originally Posted by testdrive (Post 518680)
TD: My safari has also started making this funny 'chrrrrrr' noise - specially when i turn the steering to the left (even slightly). The sound is very irritating! Need to get it checked

Mine's from the center console......Sorry to hear about the leak

Post the last service, I think I've become even lazier & more of a believer in Fill it, shut it & forget it! How else can I justify that it took me 4k kms of motoring to take the beast in for a warranty replacement that should have happened way back in the beginning of August?!

Well, it was like this - after the brake pads were replaced during the last service, I noticed a tremor & shake in the steering wheel on braking from high speeds. Tickled my grey cells & thought it would be the brake discs. Spoke to the Senior WM & he concurred with me - the new pads were probably highlighting this, the old ones must have settled in with the discs. He asked me to bring the beast in....and that was almost two months ago! So I kept motoring on, then I was out of the country, then I procrastinated some more on my return and then, FINALLY, I told myself day before that, come hell or high water, I was going to send the truck in yesterday. It was a wise decision as I also had a lot of fun pelting up & down in the Fiesta yesterday - but that's another story!

So sent my driver to DM with the odo reading 20014 and as expected, I got a call from the supervisor saying that he was completing the 20k service as well! This is like a major one with engine oil, gear oil & differential oil being changed apart from the oil filter. He also took the liberty of adding on the Bardahl treatment again (last done at 10k). And, of course, the pair of discs were changed under warranty. I love Dhingra Motors:p

The Beast is purring again, noise levels are down, no tremor, vibration or shake from the steering on braking, I need to see if the mileage has improved because that was a grouse - kept hovering between 9.2 & 9.3 for the past couple of months. I will also have to do wheel balancing - the front tyres both had punctures when they were on the rear which resulted in some banging on the alloys when the punctures were repaired, I'm fairly sure that they are marginally out of balance.

Other than that folks, not much has been happening - my caravan has been keeping me quite happy. Need to shampoo her this weekend. Cheers & long live the 3L Safari Dicorcheers:

wow a great encouraging review.. another happy bhpian. Geart going Suman. keep us updated about the mileage.

carry on mile munching suman!
cheers to the 3.0L:)

Hey Suman, good to hear the beast is doing fine. You seem to be really happy with Dhingra's service and you have reasons to be happy. By the way hw did it felt driving the fiesta? I hope you didnt take the liberaties you take with the safari... oh-i-give-a-damm to potholes.

Enjoy buddy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 576428)
By the way hw did it felt driving the fiesta? I hope you didnt take the liberaties you take with the safari... oh-i-give-a-damm to potholes.

Enjoy buddy,

Hey thanks mate! Man, it was a BLAAAAST zipping through the traffic & hearing that Duratec engine roar but had to be bloody careful on the bad surfaces as you said - one tends to forget till a rude jolt reminds ya:p

suman, dont tell me it was you and your car they hired for the new Fiesta ad which is shown on the telly these days !!