Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 14:04   #211
Senior - BHPian

cool review Suman.. Time just flies by (2 years) . You have maintained it very well

PS: One of my favourite colored safari.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 17th September 2008 at 14:07.
Old 17th September 2008, 14:31   #212
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rahul, we were among the initial few who took the plunge - for better or for worse. Time does fly, doesn't it! And thanks to you also for the innumerable updates & "scoops" over PM - some very useful ones if I may say so.
Old 17th September 2008, 14:39   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Thanks Sandeep

Only the pads were changed. The shoes had been changed at 25k kms along with the rear drums (under warranty). My pads were last changed at 15k kms (under warranty).
Suman, do the TASS guys replace pads and shoes under warranty. I have an extended warranty also and my 25 K service is due. Please let me know so that we dont get harassed out here in Bangalore. The last time I heard them telling these were all consumables and parts under normal wear and tear so we need to pay for it. If there is no uniform practice, we can escalate to TATA Motors. Kindly enlighten us.
Old 17th September 2008, 14:41   #214
Senior - BHPian

Immaculately maintained 4x4 Safari Suman... Congrats and kudos for the spirit !!

Your's is an example who always attract to be a safari owner in near future. I am really keen to own a safari in near future and reclaiming myself !!
Old 17th September 2008, 14:59   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Suman, do the TASS guys replace pads and shoes under warranty. I have an extended warranty also and my 25 K service is due. Please let me know so that we dont get harassed out here in Bangalore. The last time I heard them telling these were all consumables and parts under normal wear and tear so we need to pay for it. If there is no uniform practice, we can escalate to TATA Motors. Kindly enlighten us.
Hi, I was told that outer limit for pad replacement under warranty is 15k kms (that's when they changed mine the first time). As far as brake drums & shoes was concerned, they did it themselves because they "found a defect" at 25 k kms (I had complained of a scraping noise when I braked at high speed).

A lot of dealers try to pass a lot of things off as "wear & tear". The best thing if you have a doubt is to e-mail TATA Motors in advance - there is a senior gentleman there who is very prompt in responding back & clarifying what is covered & what isn't under extended warranty. PM me if you want his ID. I had recently written to him to clear a doubt & was pleasantly surprised by his prompt response.

By the way, sorry I've forgotten but how old is your vehicle now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Immaculately maintained 4x4 Safari Suman... Congrats and kudos for the spirit !!
Thanks for the appreciation mate, look forward to sitting in your "reclaimer" in the not too distant future

Last edited by suman : 17th September 2008 at 15:02.
Old 17th September 2008, 16:20   #216
Senior - BHPian

Congrats suman on completing the 40K landmark!
It's a pleasure to see someone maintaining one's truck so lovingly well.
Old 17th September 2008, 16:35   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
It's a pleasure to see someone maintaining one's truck so lovingly well.
Thank you & its a pleasure to receive this kind of a compliment from you

Last edited by suman : 17th September 2008 at 16:54.
Old 17th September 2008, 16:49   #218
Senior - BHPian

Hi power ranger,

> do the TASS guys replace pads and shoes under warranty.

This is what is there in the extended warranty booklet that I got when I took extended warranty for my Marina.

Brake system:

Servo, master cylinder, wheel cylinder, diesel vacuum pump, callipers, discs (excluding brake pads/liners), drums, handbrake lever and ratchet.

Hope this helps.
Old 18th September 2008, 10:50   #219
Senior - BHPian

After that nice, clean & shampooed look in the earlier pics, back to the daily grind after the rains -
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-picture-006.jpg

and a quick breakfast of potholes & slush on the way to work -
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-picture-007.jpg

Last edited by suman : 18th September 2008 at 10:56.
Old 6th October 2008, 22:19   #220
Senior - BHPian

Sumanji, thats the road you take daily to work???

Last edited by aah78 : 21st November 2008 at 21:13. Reason: Quoted post has been removed.
Old 10th October 2008, 12:24   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

And Sumanji, thats the road you take daily to work???
That's the last one & a half kilometers or so; will post a video one of these days on what its really like during the monsoons!
Old 20th October 2008, 10:38   #222
Senior - BHPian

2 years & 43.5k kms

The Beast completed two years in the family yesterdaycheers:. Wow, how time flies! As a birthday present, had to dish out a hefty amount for replacing the AC Suction Hose which packed up on Friday evening. Hoses are not covered under warranty so I had to cough up 2k & the gas had also leaked out completely so that was an additional 1k! An gasket also had to be replaced.

Sent the car to Autolinks in the morning, was back in the evening - despite the hose not being available in their stock, they proactively coordinated with Tata Motors & had it hand collected from the central warehouse in Gurgaon; else the car would have been lying there overnight.

Kudos to Autolinks for their efficiency, good job.

The reliable beast trundles along faithfully giving our family many a comfortable ride through the roads (or lack of them) of the NCR. As I was mentioing to Ishan, Zak & KP yesterday, I can keep scratching my head when the time comes for replacing the Beast - I can't think of any other suitable vehicle at this price point. Amazing VFM

Last edited by suman : 20th October 2008 at 10:40.
Old 20th October 2008, 11:57   #223
Team-BHP Support

Looks like my 8000Kms service will be at autolinks.
I don't mind taking out a saturday for service.
If I complete 7500kms before mid dec then will get service before snow frolicking in end Dec, else it I will get service done after the snow frolicking.
Old 20th October 2008, 12:06   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
As I was mentioing to Ishan, Zak & KP yesterday, I can keep scratching my head when the time comes for replacing the Beast - I can't think of any other suitable vehicle at this price point. Amazing VFM
I agree. I've been thinking in terms of a replacement and the 2.2 isnt such a quantum step ahead (except in refinement), so I'm truly at a loss as to whether I should replace in the first place.

I've been having a running battle with my (ex) favourite dealership on my truck - will update on a separate thread sometime as they've well and truly screwed up when it came to some major work. Seems like they were only good enough for oil changes and regular services - the true test of a service setup is when you have a PROBLEM, and they've failed big time and come across as absolute nitwits.

Thankfully, Concorde is opening up their service outlet soon in Cochin and hopefully they will be more competent.

Last edited by Steeroid : 20th October 2008 at 12:10.
Old 20th October 2008, 12:14   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I agree. I've been thinking in terms of a replacement and the 2.2 isnt such a quantum step ahead (except in refinement), so I'm truly at a loss as to whether I should replace in the first place..
2.2 is a worthy replacement for the 3.0. I can safely say that because we have a 3.0 LX in the family, which I have extensively driven, in the past 5000kms with the 2.2 the differences are astounding.
I sincerely hope that the next safari upgrade does not mean that innova like Xover is not shoved down our throats. It will mark the end of a golden era.
And don't count too much on concorde. There are hordes of good and bad mechanics with any Tata workshop, and just because Concorde is good in BLR(even thats not completely true), does not mean it will be good in cochin. Remember, it was Concorde motors Ludhiana which infamously became one of the first workshops to lose dealership license after a horde of complaints.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks