Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 12:38   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Looks like my 8000Kms service will be at autolinks.
I don't mind taking out a saturday for service.
If I complete 7500kms before mid dec then will get service before snow frolicking in end Dec, else it I will get service done after the snow frolicking.
No problems, let me know as & when you finalize.

Quote:
I sincerely hope that the next safari upgrade does not mean that innova like Xover is not shoved down our throats. It will mark the end of a golden era.
That is my biggest fear - a year & a half from now, if all we have left is an Innova-ish Xover, it will be a real tragedy.
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:44   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2.2 is a worthy replacement for the 3.0. I can safely say that because we have a 3.0 LX in the family, which I have extensively driven, in the past 5000kms with the 2.2 the differences are astounding.
I wouldnt agree, but then to each his own. The 2.2 is nice and smooth but on the highway the 3.0 is still king as its powerband wakes up when the 2.2's begins to taper away. Plus, the 3.0 is better off-road as it doesnt have to be revved - it can crawl away to glory. Of course, I'm speaking about performance with the power box added - it doesnt really stand up head and shoulders above the outgoing model is what I meant.

Well anyway we got the truck back with practically a new engine for Rs.6,000/- yesterday. Will update soon - the battery is dead after a long hibernation and it needs to get re-ICED with the Alpines.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd October 2008 at 08:48.
Old 21st November 2008, 17:13   #228
Senior - BHPian

suman i enjoyed reading this thread. could you tell me suman, how much did the safari cost you on road? also this is a dicor 2.2 i assume.
Old 21st November 2008, 18:54   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
suman i enjoyed reading this thread. could you tell me suman, how much did the safari cost you on road? also this is a dicor 2.2 i assume.
Srik, you read the thread, and still didnt realize Suman has a 3.0 L?
Old 24th November 2008, 15:21   #230
Senior - BHPian

Update: 46k kms on the clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
also this is a dicor 2.2 i assume.
This is a 3.0 litre 4x4 VX.

A couple of quick updates - on the 6th of this month, the left side of the front bumper got badly dented as a result of a fairly high-speed expressway road rage "encounter". Was disgusted & quite upset for a day till I killed the suspense by taking it to Autolinks for the "heat treatment". Luckily, the paint wasn't really damaged after the heat treatment so I got away with just 700 bucks worth of expenditure (would have cost Rs 4,500 to paint the entire bumper & the cost of a new, unpainted bumper is 11,500). There is a scar on the bumper but have kept it just to remind me of the incident

The Beast went in for its 45000 kms servicing on the 15th of this month. This is basically a top-up service along with tyre rotation etc (which I asked them not to do). I wanted them to check out the front suspension extensively because I was expecting some damages there. Sure enough, the following needed to be & were replaced -
Tie rod ends
Upper Arm bushes.

They suggested that the rear shockers be replaced as well since they'd leaked oil but I fobbed them off & said I'd get it done later. I pushed them for warranty replacement for the shockers but that was a steep ask (shockers normally covered till 35k only) so haven't pushed it further! The above stuff took the better part of the day since they had to send the Upper arm bit out to a lathe shop - as a result, the car was on the lift till late evening & the rattles on the tailgate weren't fixed. Got those attended to day before yesterday & am now finding the cabin a little too silent for comfort!

Mileage gone up slightly with the onset of winter & the switchover I'd made a while back to BP - been returning 10.5 kmpl for the past couple of fills. End of next month is a trip planned to Corbett & then up to the snows of Narkhanda in January. Will keep you folks updated.

Last edited by suman : 24th November 2008 at 15:26.
Old 24th November 2008, 17:13   #231
Senior - BHPian

Suman

Nice to know that your beast is munching miles and miles.

mine is still struck at 32k and i think there is still something wrong with rear suspension.

And i know i have to get it rectified very soon as Suspension Warranty will run out at 35k.

One more thing,do we have to book an appointment at Autolinks as i'm thinking of attending to the problems in coming 1-2 weekends.
Old 24th November 2008, 20:45   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
And i know i have to get it rectified very soon as Suspension Warranty will run out at 35k.
Suspension warranty DOES NOT run out at 35k kms, ONLY shock absorber warranty does. Major components (like center arm etc) are all covered, only bushes & tie rod ends are not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
One more thing,do we have to book an appointment at Autolinks as i'm thinking of attending to the problems in coming 1-2 weekends.
Not really - they are normally not full up but you can always give them a call before you go. (Gurgaon) 4674670
Old 8th December 2008, 16:26   #233
Senior - BHPian

Another update

After posting my last update, was on my way to work one morning. Link road from Phase V to MG Road, around 110 kmph on the speedo, when I suddenly felt the power drop. Eased off the pedal since I was approaching the main road anyway & then I heard a clatter from the tappets (the kind you'd hear if oil wasn't flowing in properly).

Hit MG Road, eased off further, turned on my left indicator & was going to park on the side of the road to investigate. Looked in my mirror & next thing I knew - POOOFFF, a huge plume of white smoke from the exhaust , much like a F1 engine blowout. Only, there wasn't any engine at the back, LOL, it was from the exhaust. All the vehicles behind me had stopped a safe distance away 'cos they thought they were about to witness a fire! Switched off the engine, the smoke died. Gave it a minute & tried cranking very gingerly......a couple of turns but didn't start. Called my messiah.

He told me to start up again & I was like "What!! Are you kidding me! No way.....". But he convinced me & I tried - couple of cranks later, it started.

What do you see?
Same - thick white smoke
Hmmm, not an electrical issue, nor the EGR (since its white smoke), maybe the injectors
What next?
Hmm, you have extended warranty but hang on, don't drive, just switch off & wait, I'll send my guys

It wasn't a good place to pull over & wait, what with the Office traffic buildup so I decided to start up the Beast & coast towards the Indianoil pump at Nathupur where I dutifully parked & fiddled with my Treo & watched the world go by.

The technician arrived - a pretty sound guy from what I saw. He cranked the engine, diagnosed that it was starved for Air, disconnected the Air cleaner element, isolated the Turbo (made it NA), cranked again & it started up. Signs weren't good - the air cleaner element hose had engine oil in it & he pointed out fresh oil on the top of the Turbo.
Sir, mujhe lag raha ki Turbo failure
Turbo failure - aisa kaisa ho sekta?
Workshop lekar chalte - phir detailed diagnostics run karke dekhte hain....

They drove off with the Beast & I went to work in the Fiesta. Afternoon update from the GM was - it was the Turbo, the shaft had broken. So what could have caused it?
Its a high precision equipment, runs at speeds in excess of 100,000 rpm; lubrication is the key.........
You mean that bit about idling at start up & shut down?
Yes....
Oh, I do it religiously
In that case, we need to investigate the cause further - could be a clogged strainer in the sump or could be the oil pump.

A Turbocharger being an expensive item, was not available in stock at any of the NCR dealerships, nor was it available with the Central Warehouse in Gurgaon. Part was indented from Pune (Day One) & despatch details were advised by TML to the workshop the next day evening. Since this was a priority item, it was to be despatched by Air, to reach the workshop the day after (Day Three) afternoon. It was a two to three hour job thereafter so I was told that the vehicle would be ready that same evening.

To cut a long story short, the TML Pune despatch section screwed up big time -
  • Despatch details were provided to dealer WITHOUT the part having been despatched
  • When it didn't arrive as scheduled on Day Three, the dealer workshop left no stone unturned to figure out where it was & they finally discovered that it was still at Pune
  • Dealer workshop advised me to lodge a formal complaint with TML Northern regional Office on Day Four which I did (on the phone)
  • Pune asked to despatch on priority & they confirm despatch of item (Day Four evening)
  • On Day Five morning, I decided to use my good old English Language skills & sent a stinker to some senior guys at TML asking them to explain why their Pune facility had screwed up despatch of a high priority item. They tried passing the buck to the Dealer workshop but I pinned them down (since I had details of order placed on Day One). TML NRO was pissed with the workshop for having asked me to complain. GM of Dealer workshop told them that they had no option since I was requesting concrete information which they couldn't provide
  • In the afternoon, we discover that Pune had screwed up even further & had despatched the item BY ROAD instead of by Air on Day Four
  • More hullah, another piece despatched by Air (Day Five evening)
  • TML was advised that I would be raising a claim for Taxi Hire for the additional four days of hardship that I would experience, over & above the time span originally estimated!
LOL! Item finally arrived in Delhi on election day but was delivered to the workshop & fitted late in the evening. Engine was started up but in the absence of the GM & proper testing, it was thought prudent to take delivery early the week after.

A phenomenal amount of engine oil had also gone into the exhaust system which needed to be burnt out & cleaned to the extent possible. Vehicle was delivered on Tuesday evening. Was driven extensively on Wednesday & Thursday, smoking issues arising out of unburnt engine oil in the exhaust were attended to. The Engine Oil warning light came on a couple of times so -
  • Oil pressure switch was changed
  • Sump gasket was changed
  • Engine oil was drained out & fresh oil topped up
  • Oil filter was changed.
Boy, thank God for Extended Warranties, would have cost me a packet otherwise! Once again, kudos to Autolinks for the way they went about the entire job, particularly when TMP despatch section in Pune had mucked it up, big time. Very very proactive.

Good to be back with the Beast - though I enjoyed other aspects of the Fiesta during the week, it feels nice to be back on top of the world, peering out at the traffic going alongside. To be honest, I was pissed when it happened because its not something that one hears of every day. One thing arising out of this - I'm extra careful now about the half minute idling (though I was doing it religiously even before this)

Last edited by suman : 8th December 2008 at 16:35.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:48   #234
Team-BHP Support

As for the idling, I have seen at all the workshops(even autolinks) that many service personal start the vehicle and go. I hope occasional non idling won't cause such things?
Old 8th December 2008, 17:10   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for the idling, I have seen at all the workshops(even autolinks) that many service personal start the vehicle and go. I hope occasional non idling won't cause such things?
To be honest - I have not been following the start up bit so diligently though I do follow the "idle-before-shut off". I'm told that its not so much about the 30 seconds as it is about not shutting off immediately after a high rpm run. Which, by default we would be doing.
Old 8th December 2008, 17:26   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Your hope in this case should be that you have opted for Extended Warranty. This should be a lesson for all prospective car buyers infact. Get your peace of mind by opting for extended warranty.
Old 9th December 2008, 07:57   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

With the Safari, the extended warranty is mandatory. I think anyone who buys a safari should price the extended warranty into their budget. There is absolutely no excuse for Turbo's failing at 45K kms.
Old 9th December 2008, 08:20   #238
Senior - BHPian

Though covered under extended warranty,Turbo failing is a serious concern.
Imagine turbo failing in the himalayas with you hundreds of Km's away from support.(just the thought is giving goosebumps).
Old 9th December 2008, 09:18   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Imagine turbo failing in the himalayas with you hundreds of Km's away from support.(just the thought is giving goosebumps).
Goosebumps or cold sweat?

But I do agree with you - why the Himalayas, could have been a problem if it happened even on the highway, away from one's comfort zone.

Last edited by suman : 9th December 2008 at 09:24.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:23   #240
BHPian

Hi Suman

Excellent thread and updates of your safari. I sm sure these long term ownership reports are full of useful information for many!

Gr8 work

Elito

P.S. - Do make sure you get your beast in good shape before your snow trip!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks