Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 15:41   #316
BHPian

Just a small note on the portable air compressors.

I've been using a Rotax (Canadian brand purchased from Canadian Tire) air compressor for ~5 years now and what I've noticed is that it is good only for top-up's. The lil bugger's compressor heat up too much if you want to top up more than 8-10 PSI. Cant complain for $45 CAD spent since its been running fine for the past 5 years.
Old 17th July 2009, 11:13   #317
Senior - BHPian

Sandeep & Suresh, here you go.....please excuse the pics quality, morning rush & phone cam are not the best combi
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-picture-020.jpg

Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-picture-018.jpg

Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-picture-017.jpg

Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-picture-015.jpg

Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-picture-014.jpg
Old 17th July 2009, 11:38   #318
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Suman!

Looks very compact. How is the build quality? And does it have any heating issue when used? The small one I had used to over-heat (and I guess that is what did it in recently!!!) when used for extended period, like more than 8 minutes continuously. Please do check that.
Old 17th July 2009, 11:44   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Thanks Suman!

Looks very compact. How is the build quality? And does it have any heating issue when used? The small one I had used to over-heat (and I guess that is what did it in recently!!!) when used for extended period, like more than 8 minutes continuously. Please do check that.
But this takes long time to fill the Safari Tyres and has per my it's not that good and will get over heated.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:31   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Suman!

Build quality is robust - will not fall apart. Not sure about the heating up - used it just once to top up maybe 2 or 3 psi, didn't heat up. Will check one of these days & let you know. The other one I'd got from Ebay was flimsier, smaller & looked like it would overheat. But then it never worked so I couldn't find out

Last edited by suman : 17th July 2009 at 12:33.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:37   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Build quality is robust - will not fall apart. Not sure about the heating up - used it just once to top up maybe 2 or 3 psi, didn't heat up. Will check one of these days & let you know. The other one I'd got from Ebay was flimsier, smaller & looked like it would overheat. But then it never worked so I couldn't find out
Suman Bhai, to fill 35PSI in Safari it will take more than 30mins & surely will heat up the compressor, better not to try it.

Would suggest to be used for topping up of 5-10psi max.

Last edited by gowda79 : 17th July 2009 at 12:39.
Old 17th July 2009, 13:22   #322
Senior - BHPian

Yes, filling might be an overkill for this little guy.

Top-up is more a comfortable thing to do. And with having a tubeless, I reckon (mostly) that the rate of inflation will be much higher than deflation!
Old 30th July 2009, 16:26   #323
Senior - BHPian

The Great Indian Road Trip.....

A Leh trip is a challenge for any vehicle given the adverse climatic & road conditions. I'd always wanted to make this particular trip happen - in a way, the justification for buying this vehicle is finally complete in all respects. A trouble free two weeks in tough conditions has reaffirmed my faith in The Beast & I can now confidently say that it can go anywhere! The fact that it ferried the entire family on a 3,000 kms plus round trip of this kind in safety & absolute comfort is, by itself, a huge testimony. Some observations during the trip -
  • My concerns at the beginning of this trip were about starting problems in cold & high altitude conditions but they were completely unfounded - even at Sarchu which is a known trouble spot, it started second crank.
  • "Check Engine" light coming on during high altitude climbs was another thing I'd heard of from some people. Thankfully, this light has NEVER come on in this vehicle - not on the ascent to the Passes, not anywhere, not till date!
  • The TATA 407 is a bullet proof engine & it's haulage is amazing. I could make this out (comparatively speaking) whenever we were climbing in company (Zojila, Chang La & Tanglang La in particular) - it ascends steep slopes with aplomb & has enough in reserve. The cabs would normally wave us by when we appeared in the mirror.
  • I realized that the 3 litre 4x4 Safari has quite a fan following in Leh. The cabbies would get chatty & when I asked them about road conditions, the reply was unanimous - Sir, is gaddi mein toh aapko koi dikkat nahi hogi!!! And this was irrespective of whether they were driving Scorpios or Safaris (or even the occasional Innova from Delhi). Respect for The Beast! Felt good to hear & from the horses mouth too.
  • One more observation - all the commercial Safaris that I saw in Leh were of the 3 litre variety. Not a single 2.2 VTT. The commercial Scorpios were mostly non-CRDEs or M2DIs. Hardly any CRDEs. Not a single MHawk. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
  • I'd often wondered when I used to see the Safari ads about how much of a real "flier" (as in "in the air") would it withstand? Well, I found out this time! There are these treacherous dips in the road - on smooth black tarmac, where you'd least expect them. I hit about four or five of these at high speeds during the course of our trip. Two of them (the worst ones) were between Chang La & Karu. The Beast just flew through the air & landed with such a thump that I was sure that we'd broken something. The ABS warning light came on. I pulled over & shut the engine. We were OK. Started back on, the light went away. Tested out the ABS, it was fine. But the light resurfaced during the remainder of the trip & we discovered on our return that one of the wheel sensors had been damaged. Was changed & all is well.
  • During the course of our numerous no-road, bad-road & water crossing scenarios, the coupling/connector that hooks up the reversing lights & rear view camera with the gearbox (reverse gear) had come loose. I didn't want to fiddle with it so just taped it to the underbody loosely - it was fixed back in its slot after we returned.
  • I used shift on the fly quite extensively during this trip to toggle between 2H & 4H (I hate exercising my brain ) and changed to 4L as well (after stopping of course!). The 4x4 mechanism worked without a hitch & was put through its paces. Was a nice experience feeling the power of 4L over quite a few nasty stretches. The 1st & 2nd gear in 4L are bloody powerful - did use them initially but then I realized that 3rd was good enough for most of these places.
  • No problems with over-heating whatsoever.
  • The Yokohamas were simply awesome. Gave me enough confidence to not have to worry about the road (or lack of it). Did cushion quite a bit of the nightmarish stretches & appeared to be in almost showroom condition when I came back & showed them to Star Wheels. No cuts, tears or gashes. Hardly any loss of air during the entire trip.
  • I realized that 2,000 kms plus in twisty & mountainous terrain is probably equivalent to 7-8,000 kms in the plains as far as Brake pads are concerned! They had a lot of life in them when the 58.5k kms service was done just before we left for Leh. When we came back, they were shot!!! The biggest wear & tear happens when you are descending to lower altitudes - engine braking or not, you still need to use your brakes & that does wear out the pads.
  • This was a the right type of journey to give a complete perspective about the legendary RIDE COMFORT of The Beast. Since we covered every imaginable form of road (or no-road) & for extended distances & varying speeds (when I'd run out of patience, I'd floor the pedal & say To hell with it!!!), the rear seat occupants had their fill. Suffice it to say that they still swear by it but there was one particular stretch where our patience was really tested. All of us. This was on the Kargil to Leh sector - broken, full of stones & just going on & on & on. I shudder at the thought of doing that stretch on a sedan!
  • All my back-up tools & kits came back unutilized. Thank you God!
  • I realized that this 3 litre engine doesn't care whether you are ascending the steepest of climbs or whether you are in the plains. Treat it well & it gives you good return! The lowest mileage that we got was around 8.6 kmpl & this was primarily due to a 40 minute wait for an Army convoy with the A/c running in the middle of an intermittent dust storm! It gave us between 9.5 & 10 including all the passes other than Zoji La. Overall mileage for the trip was 9.86 kmpl which I thought was excellent (given the 3 litre's reputation of being a thirsty truck).
  • It was a huge sense of relief & safety being inside this behemoth when we were traversing the tough stretches. I know that people do it on bikes & cars & whatever but the point is - we felt secure & safe & well insulated from all that Nature threw at us. Its a feeling that I cannot make you understand - you will understand as & when you experience it.
  • Somewhere between Sonamarg & Drass, The Beast completed 60,000 kms. Its been a long ride together & worth every penny that I've invested I feel
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-picture-022.jpg

A big Thank You to The Beast for taking us on the Journey of a Lifetime. How else would we have covered these awesome places in our very own backyard? By Air & by Cab? Nah, its just not the same experience!
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-img_2851.jpg
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-img_2853.jpg
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-img_2987.jpg

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th July 2009 at 17:33. Reason: spelling Bee
Old 30th July 2009, 16:35   #324
Senior - BHPian

A write up your Safari should read.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:50   #325
Senior - BHPian

That was a very good note, Suman!
Old 30th July 2009, 17:03   #326
BANNED

Very well summed up experience Suman, keep it up
Old 30th July 2009, 17:23   #327
Senior - BHPian

That was a perfect ending note... !!

P.S.
You might remember during numerous conversations between us regarding safari's reliability as I was always uneasy with safari. You may call it due to various ownership reports or safari's reliability bashing all over forum, but yes it was there deep in my mind. Though Safari might not beat Innova for bulletproof engineering and superior after sales support, but still its heart over heart for a safari owner.

Your trip has not only increased reputation of safari in my eyes but also my temptation to have one. Safari has some sort magnetic power which indeed pulls everyone of us to drive one.

Its certainly is Heart over Head !!

Last edited by ashthedivx : 30th July 2009 at 17:35.
Old 30th July 2009, 17:47   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
A write up your Safari should read.
Quote:
That was a very good note, Suman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Very well summed up experience Suman, keep it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
That was a perfect ending note... !!

P.S.
You might remember during numerous conversations between us regarding safari's reliability as I was always uneasy with safari.

Your trip has not only increased reputation of safari in my eyes but also my temptation to have one. Safari has some sort magnetic power which indeed pulls everyone of us to drive one.

Its certainly is Heart over Head !!
Thanks guys! Ashish, this calls for a NCR "Meat" to discuss things further, what say?? Long time no see or hear!
Old 31st July 2009, 10:31   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Thanks guys! Ashish, this calls for a NCR "Meat" to discuss things further, what say?? Long time no see or hear!
Certainly, I am too much missing up the gang !!

But somehow "Meat" charm is lost somewhere, the latest meat thread is a certain evidence.
Old 31st July 2009, 13:14   #330
Senior - BHPian

Sumanji, everything summoned in your post.

No more words to describe better than you have done.

So what's next gentlemen, Let's plough the road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks