Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2006, 20:33   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Takes corners at very high speeds and generally feels more like a car...
Thats nice. Just curious to know how fast is "very high speed" ??
Old 2nd December 2006, 22:59   #47
BHPian

Quote:
No chance of making it go faster unless Dr Fate tells us how....
maine aapka kya bigaada he......i hope we really dont have any TATA guys here....

and pyscho has done a very good job you need to replace your tyres now the steering feedback will improve while hard cornering,

and did you see some "performance"chipping fellow offering power modules for safari(dicor)with a claimed 15% power increase!!!!

Last edited by dr fate : 2nd December 2006 at 23:00.
Old 3rd December 2006, 00:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr fate View Post
and did you see some "performance"chipping fellow offering power modules for safari(dicor)with a claimed 15% power increase!!!!
Nope I havent heard - if I had heard of such chaps I would've tried it out for what its worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
Thats nice. Just curious to know how fast is "very high speed" ??
I think I know a few things about taking corners at decent speeds so perhaps a less patronising tone might be in order - very high speeds is beyond what some other such vehicles would've turned turtle. Should you wish to debate this point in more detail, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd December 2006 at 00:22.
Old 3rd December 2006, 00:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Nope I havent heard - if I had heard of such chaps I would've tried it out for what its worth
even iam curious i read it in a mag and was stumped cause i have had two engine failures on just removing the mechanical governor alone!!!thanks to tata's budget engineering...we have had quite a few obstacles as far as iam observing it but i have hopes in the near future of some good...nay great results lets see...i have driven your bus and when in town i want you to drive mine and give me your honest opinion.

Last edited by dr fate : 3rd December 2006 at 00:49.
Old 3rd December 2006, 00:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
In My Humble Opinion! Any more??
In my Honest opinion
Old 3rd December 2006, 09:17   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr fate View Post
but i have hopes in the near future of some good...nay great results lets see...i have driven your bus and when in town i want you to drive mine and give me your honest opinion.

I'm looking forward to the 'near future' . I've heard that your truck revvs
freely and will def. get in touch with you when I'm in B'lore.
Old 25th January 2007, 13:48   #52
Senior - BHPian

3 months old & 5500 kms completed.......

The title says it all.....not much has happened except that I've hit 150 kmph and felt HIGHLY FRUSTRATED thereafter! Tata Motors, can you PLEASE do something about this? This was, as mentioned in another thread, to prove a point to a Scorpio driver on the Rajokri flyover on NH8 before 8 am & in low traffic conditions so don't pounce on me for dangerous driving etc etc

Getting more & more used to the beast and what requires to be done & what is a no-no (high speed cornering for example). The 5k free service was done last weekend (cost 150 plus service tax for catalytic convertor cleaning, no other charge) & she's come back with more enthusiasm. I need to see if the mileage improves this time around after the air cleaner element has been cleaned.....I just don't seem to be able to cross the 9.5-9.6 kmpl barrier, maybe its because of the high speed runs in the morning? I mean, I'm guessing that ripping till 120-130 is not going to give you great mileage is it, especially if the rest of the day is spent in traffic conditions?

Not too many squeaks & rattles in the laden car though the second row seat (the 30 portion of the 70-30) does rattle when not occupied - there is some play there which will not be fixed. A lot of people assume the rattle is from the jump seats at the rear but thats not the case. The leather in the gear knob squeaks quite a bit on winter mornings but this goes away once the cabin warms up.

Not much other than the fact that it refused to start this morning....this had happened once before so I was pretty much sure it was the same thing. Called the helpline, they came, diagnosed & fixed the issue in less than a minute! The cam sensor for some reason plays up, detects an "out of alignment" situation & does not pass current to the ECU, engine cranks but doesn't start....any of you had this issue?

Apart from all this, we're very happy that we decided to buy the beast - the comfort & SPACE inside is just unbelievable and its a BLAST sitting on the 1st floor and drifting through traffic..........its been through one crash (as mentioned in another thread), I think I now need to get her onto a once-a-fortnight shampoo & leather cleaning treatment to keep the shine on.

We're planning a Kasauli trip in early March & I'm really looking forward to experiencing the highway & hills behavior - should be a pleasant one from what I've been reading in other ownership experiences (Ranjit, where are you man, when are you posting your Mysore-Uttaranchal trip details?). Will keep you posted as we go along.

Last edited by suman : 25th January 2007 at 13:51.
Old 25th January 2007, 13:53   #53
Team-BHP Support

This cam sensor problem also faced the LX we have in the family, it was brand new then. Helpline came within 30 minutes since the breakdown was on highway about 20kms from nearest Tata station.
If this happens on a remote hill station then its a problem.
But maybe disconnecting battery terminals for 20 minutes will reset the electronics and things will be fine?
Old 25th January 2007, 14:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
But maybe disconnecting battery terminals for 20 minutes will reset the electronics and things will be fine?
Nope, from what I understood, they disconnect a pulley or soemthing & reconnect it & then the engine starts up......then of course, they hook up the laptop & fix the error reading. But that physical disconnect-reconnect needs to be done. And the location of the pulley is pretty tricky.....he dipped in with both his hands somewhere below the fan belt & tweaked around.

You have a valid point about the remote hill station....I gotta wait for help from Shimla I guess if it happens in Kasauli!
Old 25th January 2007, 14:06   #55
Team-BHP Support

If that pulley disconnection is simply to cut current to ECU, even battery disconnection should work. In many other cars when such errors crop up, the hard reset is given by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes.
I guess a good solution would be to get a OBD cable from the US. Getting the software for delphi ECU could be bit of a problem.
Old 25th January 2007, 22:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

I have not faced any issues in My dicor till date.. I hope you guys dont mind me bumping your threads... dont really want to start another one..or the Mods / admins / super admins will be on my *** ( u know what)

Anyways..The vehicle has done approximately 1300 km.. still confused as to why the first service is at 5000km ... guess i have been too used to driving petrol cars..

The issues i am currently facing are
1. The dashboard lights dont come on.. i left the vehicle at the service station and the replaced the fuse.. and it was fine til evening.. once i switch on the headlights the dashboard lights went off again... need to get this solved asap...

2. when the steering is turned completely to the left and you engage reverse and move the car back there is a "CLANG" sound.. coming definately from the front.. spoke to Psycho and he spoke in some greek latin language of something that might be broken...need to call him up again and maybe write it down this time

3. The boot door even though is properly closed i can still see some gap..
for eg: once i close the boot door... i can still clearly read the child lock instructions sticker... are you guys also facing this or is there a door alignment problem???

not yet driven the vehicle over 60km/ph so still have not figured how it behaves at high speeds...will start after the first service is done...

Godfather

Last edited by Godfather : 25th January 2007 at 22:31.
Old 26th January 2007, 11:29   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
1. The dashboard lights dont come on.. i left the vehicle at the service station and the replaced the fuse.. and it was fine til evening.. once i switch on the headlights the dashboard lights went off again... need to get this solved asap...
Sounds like some kind of a short circuit - if the fuse keeps blowing you should get this checked out ASAP
Quote:
2. when the steering is turned completely to the left and you engage reverse and move the car back there is a "CLANG" sound.. coming definately from the front.. spoke to Psycho and he spoke in some greek latin language of something that might be broken...need to call him up again and maybe write it down this time
I had a similar problem the week I got my car on full right lock, irrespective of whether it was reverse or forward. They first greased the center pin, it went away & then came back....so back I went to them. Not sure what they did but it disappeared thereafter & hasn't come back . One thing you need to be careful about - in full lock situations, I've been advised to rev the accelerator a bit as the power steering pump apparently needs a bit of motivation to get going....initially I had a tendency to go full right & left lock & use a bit of force on the steering, that's not good. A bit of blip on the pedal does make it an easier process, try it & see

Quote:
not yet driven the vehicle over 60km/ph so still have not figured how it behaves at high speeds...will start after the first service is done...
Why not? You can go upto 100kmph till you cross 1500 kmph. Try it now....who knows what will surface once you take her to higher speeds (like in my case)

By the way, that is a rear door alignment problem, get it fixed......
Old 26th January 2007, 11:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

This thread sounds like a bunch of aunties (or uncles in this case) exchanging receipes to cure their Dicor problems

Don't flame me, just kidding!!
Old 26th January 2007, 17:38   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I have not faced any issues in My dicor till date.. I hope you guys dont mind me bumping your threads... dont really want to start another one..or the Mods / admins / super admins will be on my *** ( u know what)

Anyways..The vehicle has done approximately 1300 km.. still confused as to why the first service is at 5000km ... guess i have been too used to driving petrol cars..

The issues i am currently facing are

3. The boot door even though is properly closed i can still see some gap..
for eg: once i close the boot door... i can still clearly read the child lock instructions sticker... are you guys also facing this or is there a door alignment problem???

Godfather
Point one: All safari's(Include's TCIC) Have a service intervel(from date of delivery) of 5000 kms,do not worry on this one.

Point two: Please ask inform your service advisor next time you go for service that your clutch i:e hydraulic cylinder need's an Air-out job,

As in they need to bleed the cylinder out of its air-pockets,this is a fairly common problem with Dicor's, Service people shy out of this because,though it is a straight forward job,there is a fair amount of labour involved in the process.

You will also feel a marked improvement in clutch feel, i also think you may/may not(also) be experiencing a slight 'judder' while downshifting-say from 2nd to 1st.
Old 26th January 2007, 19:31   #60
Senior - BHPian

DF, if its a clutch related issue, any idea why it happens only in a full wheel lock situation?

Most Viewed