Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2006, 19:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!

Just a quick update, haven't been on the net for the past couple of days......got a call from the dealership on Tuesday evening saying the vehicle had arrived, so off we went on Thursday (auspicious day for us usually, Dhanteras on top of that) and picked up the Arctic Silver beast around 7 pm . In the process, we were (as the sales guy kept joking) ushered into the magic world of Tata Motors or, as I keep saying, the world of Tata Quality Control (read - lack of it!!). So, the first few issues that surfaced before and as we left the dealership (to be fixed over the next couple of days) -

1) Left front passenger side power window not going up smoothly, to be adjusted
2) Rear center armrest cup-holder clip defective, to be replaced
3) Engine compartment bulb went "phut" as soon as I switched it on
4) Audio expert had gone home so they were unable to get the Blaupunkt FM tuning done!
5) Seat belt off warning doesn't function for front passenger side

Well, what with Steer & Nitin having adequately prepared me for what to expect (Ranjit hasn't had any issues lucky bloke), these seemed pretty inconsequential so off we went to fill up some gas & then on to dinner. Ishaan called just as we were leaving the dealership (Sam, sorry couldn't meet up with you this time but was busy knocking down a few that evening myself after taking this mammoth plunge so....) so he was the first to know and then Saazid when he called (but that was a couple of days later).

So now, its been about 160 kms plus and beginning to enjoy the experience - though it takes one hell of a lot of getting used to after a sedan. I'm really having to consciously adjust between the Fiesta & this beast, be it (obviously) the throttle response or the brakes!

I like the way it ambles along the highway and you don't feel like you're doing 100 till the kids remind you - "Dad, remember not to cross till you complete 1500!" Of course I like the way the lesser mortals make way (call center cabs included ). Pretty confortable ride so far & steering feel is OK (maybe I'm just getting used to it too quickly lol!!).

Don't like - weird maladies that get fixed on their own - on Friday evening was going out for a drink, started her up, switched on the lights, they came on briefly & went out. Couldn't get them going though I tried 4 or 5 times, gave up, used the fog lamps & went on (we were going round the corner). Immobilizer warning light also kept flashing on & off. Next morning (being Diwali, dealership would be closed) decided to check out the fuses etc for myself. Got in, started up the engine, switched on the lights and lo-behold, there they were, blazing away! Can you beat it!!

Welcome to the world of Tata Motors!!! Will post some pics maybe tomorrow, in a bit of a rush now.....more later guys. Cheers

Last edited by suman : 22nd October 2006 at 19:20.
Old 22nd October 2006, 19:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Suman.

I like the way it ambles along the highway and you don't feel like you're doing 100 till the kids remind you

Get used to it - this thing is more comfortable at higher speeds so you tend to relax.

As for your niggles - obviously the chaps havent done the PDI thoroughly. Wait till the 1500 km inspection.
Old 22nd October 2006, 20:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Suman, congrats! Here's wishing you a niggle-free Dicor ..

Quote:
5) Seat belt off warning doesn't function for front passenger side
The seat-belt warning is meant for the driver's seat only.
Old 22nd October 2006, 21:45   #4
BHPian

Suman, congratulations on your new purchase.... and i think tata has lived up to their reputation... never mind, i am sure these things will be ironed out soon and i wish you have a great time with the new beast.

regards
tifosi.
Old 22nd October 2006, 23:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new machine. I guess you'll soon realise that no other car is just not good enough. Have fun and safe driving.

Last edited by jyobeb : 22nd October 2006 at 23:35.
Old 23rd October 2006, 01:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since the safari vx has airbags for driver and co-passenger would it not make sense to have a seat belt warning for the co-passenger as well,so it may actually be having one if not then something for tata to work on definitely.

@suman since the safari vx has airbags kindly ask the driver and co-passenger to wear their seat-belts at all times , The seat-belt warning work or not work.

And yes congragulations on your buy.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 23rd October 2006 at 01:22.
Old 23rd October 2006, 08:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

reg the seat belt warning - havent seen it in any of my prev cars that have had air-bags also. Or any other cars, across brands,that I have driven. The warning is only meant for the driver.

Logic: the driver seat is always occupied when the car is in use. The passenger seat may not be occupied always. If there is no one in the passenger seat, should the warning beeps continue? Doesnt make sense to ..
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Steeroid, Tifosi, Condor, Rahul & Jyobeb!

On the seat belt warning, the beeps stop after a predetermined number of seconds, the warning light is supposed to stay on (for BOTH driver & passenger seats as per the manual) till you belt up.

Rahul, by force of habit, we do belt up the minute we get in so your warning will not go unheeded .

By the way, there have been discussions on another thread about whether or not airbags deploy when car is stationery and is hit by another car from the front. Well, as per the manual, the Ignition MUST be on (and both seatbelts on) for the airbags to deploy.

Steeroid, they have now changed the service intervals to 5,000 kms or 6 months, must say I was a bit surprised because I did expect one at around 1,500 kms?

A few pics -

The proud owners -

View from the front -

And from the rear -

Any terrain handler!

Last but not least, the sales guy who put up with my 1001 questions, one of the few guys I've met who have ALWAYS stuck to the timing committed, be it for the test drives or the delivery (rare breed) -

More as we go along....

Cheers!

Last edited by suman : 23rd October 2006 at 09:22.
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
they have now changed the service intervals to 5,000 kms or 6 months, must say I was a bit surprised because I did expect one at around 1,500 kms?
Usually for the diesels i know, first service is at 5k kms or 6 months, was it at 1.5k for dicor previously???
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK, the first service for diesels is 5K. Petrol engined vehicles have a much quicker first service at 1- 1.5K
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:17   #11
BHPian

Hey suman, congrats on the new Dicor, and all the best with your 'temperamental' love
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:58   #12
BHPian

Congrats Suman. Enjoy your new drive and dont worry about the niggling problems, after a period of time everything settles down ( I guess thats a typical Tata trait) and technically this is one helluva capable machine.. Drive safe and happy motoring ..
Old 23rd October 2006, 11:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Steeroid, they have now changed the service intervals to 5,000 kms or 6 months, must say I was a bit surprised because I did expect one at around 1,500 kms?
They do a complete inspection at 1,500kms, NOT an oil change. I suppose this is their version of a PDI - a POST Delivery Inspection.

Your pics are making me nostalgic.

PS: Condor is right - the seatbelt indicator is only for the driver's seat, at least on the EX. The VX comes with Airbags, so its quite possible that the passenger side indicator is meant to work too - IF you have a passenger.

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd October 2006 at 11:15.
Old 23rd October 2006, 13:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Suman!! Seems like my forecast wasn't off by much!! On a happier note I hope you're enjoying the drive & that she doesn't trouble you anymore. Happy Motoring looking forward to the treat & TD soon!
Old 23rd October 2006, 18:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your Dicor!
By the way, The pics are too small.. cant make out anything :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks