Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2017, 13:19   #16
P21
BHPian

re: Marathon Mile Muncher: Ford Aspire TDCi, now @ 120,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post

3. Maruti Suzuki DZire: Secondly, Ford cars are quite cheap to maintain when compared to a Maruti. Having owned multiple Ford and Maruti cars within friends and family and going by their service records, Ford spares are quite durable and thereby saving a lot of time and money on repairs and maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thank you for sharing your ownership details! This helps to make people educate about the reliability and cost of ownership of Ford vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
Hell, this is cheaper than my petrol Alto K10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
One of the experience I would like to share is I used to own Alto Lxi(2010 model) and whenever it is serviced through MASS, I used to get bills in the vicinity of 5k. Once i serviced my friends Figo on his behalf since the service center is near my office and i was surprised to get the bill of 4200 (60,000 Service) for a diesel car which is way less than my expectation.That was an eye opener moment for me, Maruti is no where cheap to maintain.

This is really encouraging. I own a Ford Fiesta Classic and had a strong belief that the Ford Vehicles are very competitive in maintenance. I used to argue with my friends and family that the Ford Vehicles are cheaper to maintain than that of Marutis and it is evident here. Well, recently my beloved Fiesta crossed 100000 mark and most of my service costs are below Rs. 5000 per service.

Last edited by P21 : 20th June 2017 at 13:23.
P21 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 13:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Wow;Auto Enthusiast ! Congrats on Aspire even though it's a 50,000kms delayed wish

Wonderful to know that it's working like a typical workhorse with zero major issues. And, since I own the same car, I can only concur and feel glad that I can expect at least another 20K kms of trouble free ownership
Thanks for the wishes.

Yes the car is doing its duty like a typical workhorse and is performing brilliantly. Not just another 20k kms, you can expect a lot more trouble free kms from this car. And yes will update the thread on a regular basis

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thank you for sharing your ownership details! This helps to make people educate about the reliability and cost of ownership of Ford vehicles. It's a shame that Ford is not able to sell a lot of those, but then they have to blame themselves for their past actions.

They need to go belting on ads about the cheap ownership costs and also provide a 5 year standard warranty on their offerings to make people feel confident - not sure why they can't do it.

I'll definitely look forward to the 1,00,000 report and am sure that will come our way pretty soon. How much do you plan to keep the car for - 2,00,000 kms??
Thanks buddy

It is real pity that even after making such wonderful cars and pricing them so aggressively, Ford doesn't market their cars well. Even today people have misconception that "Ford is expensive to Afford" and that the car will be high on maintenance.

I haven't planned as to how much I intend to keep the car. As long as the car is serviceable and it is in a decent condition for the customers, I'll keep the car, irrespective of the kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
You have spent only 15K in last 50K KM I am sure this is much cheaper than 1.3 DDIS which needs EGR cleaning every 30K KM
Definitely a lot cheaper that the DDIS.

There are no major scheduled work that needs to be carried out frequently. IIRC, apart from engine oil and filter which needs to be replaced every 10k kms and the fuel filter which needs to be replaced every 30k kms, there is hardly any 'major scheduled' work that needs to be carried out before 120k kms. The coolant lasts for 160k kms and according to me (not sure about it) the transmission oil is filled for life, at least that was the case in previous-gen Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. What is does for us is that it just fast-forwards the car life-cycle for us and lets us know what to expect.

Now this is something to worry about, if it means what it reads. So someone is going to get a brand new car that is not really brand new and has been fiddled with. There is no equivalent of factory fit. This I think is not correct on the dealer's part and it is scary to know dealer is trading off your car parts.
Agree to you that this should not be done in a normal course but it was a one off case. I think it's not something to worry about so much. It was just a oil filter housing that was replaced, something which they access even during normal scheduled service. It was not some major part or some complicated ECM that they had replaced. The dealer did not earn a single penny to replace that part because,anyways, that part was covered under warranty. He did it just because he didn't want to leave the customer stranded in the middle of a 3000km trip. And it's the dealer only who replaces the parts in case of a recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Great review! Thank you for sharing.

I am amazed at how less Ford services cost (~30p per km run). Just to put numbers in perspective, I have spent around 60p per kilometer for my i-Dtec Jazz. Can you please share how much is the amount of Engine oil that the engine takes and whether you just topped up the Engine oil or drained/replaced oil oil every 10,000 kilometers? How hard is the clutch in your car - one reason I went for Jazz over Aspire diesel.

Perspective of the common man is what is hurting Ford in India. Low service cost, excellent mileage (at par with the i-Dtec and more than 1.3DDiS) and reliable cars, what more is needed by Ford to sell cars in India?
Yes buddy. Ford cars are really very cheap to maintain. Only thing is people are still not aware of the service cost of Ford cars and Ford's marketing team is to be blamed for that.

The engine oil is always drained completely and fresh oil from the FASS is poured in every 10k kms. The oil used is Shell 5w30 semi-synthetic. I have even got a 'Used Oil Analysis' done when the oil was replaced at 30k kms just to be double sure that the oil used is genuine and not some spurious oil. And as per the report there was still 'serviceable life' left in the oil but then too I get the oil replaced at every 10k kms. Regarding the clutch it is still as good as new. Yes the springy feeling that was present in new car is still there along with the long travel of the clutch pedal but it still works like a charm.

The Shell semi-synthetic oil costs around 1,250/- for 3.8 ltrs.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 13:39   #18
BHPian

Great review auto_enthusiast and wishing multiple 50k miles of happy and hassle free ownership.
I currently own a prev gen Figo and have been pretty happy with it so far. Though my experienences with Noida Ford haven't been great so far. I am planning to get my Figo serviced at the newer Noida dealership the next time.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 14:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Agree to you that this should not be done in a normal course but it was a one off case. I think it's not something to worry about so much. It was just a oil filter housing that was replaced, something which they access even during normal scheduled service. It was not some major part or some complicated ECM that they had replaced. The dealer did not earn a single penny to replace that part because,anyways, that part was covered under warranty. He did it just because he didn't want to leave the customer stranded in the middle of a 3000km trip. And it's the dealer only who replaces the parts in case of a recall.
If it can be done once then it can done again and with other components as well. I am not pointing to your specific case of oil filter housing but in general.
Similar could have been the reason why your dealer in Surat wanted to get rid of the 5 month old car.
A worse version of this practice damaged the Skoda brand name.

These are the things that create a strong perception within masses. We know lot of cars that are really good like Figo twins, Zest & Bolt, Hexa. There is hardly to fault these cars. Your example clearly highlights how Ford Figo twins can be extremely pocket friendly and well built at same time than some other well known brands. But such practices make or break a brand's reputation.

Last edited by naikameya : 20th June 2017 at 14:06.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 14:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review of a very capable car in my opinion.

the fact that you have not done any other changes apart from the regular engine oil and the filters, is that as per the maintenance schedule that Ford prescribes or have you decided to follow your own?
Old 20th June 2017, 14:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
I'd feel the same about the dealer. Trust is something once lost cannot be rebuilt again so easily. Good job by Ford to take care of your situation. Do you have pictures of the delivery at the factory?
No. Actually you are not allowed to click any pictures at the factory.

Quote:
Since this is a commercial registration, I'm guessing you got the permit for 2 states? How much did it cost?
At the time of registration you get the permit for the home state by default. You just have to take the permit of the states that you intend to visit. But I've taken 'All India Permit' which is valid for 5 years. Only the 'Authorization' needs to be renewed annually. BTW, Maharashtra border tax costed me 800/- for a calendar month. They charge you for the whole month whether you take it on the first day or last day of the month.

Quote:
Hell, this is cheaper than my petrol Alto K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Exactly what I was thinking!

For instance, my DDIS 200 (Ciaz) has costed me 33000 Rupees for the last 7 services (38800 km on odo now). Looking from this review, aspire is just half as expensive as Maruti service!
Actually it's very reasonable to maintain. More or less this was the same case with my previous-gen Figo and that played a major role in choosing this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
If it can be done once then it can done again and with other components as well. I am not pointing to your specific case of oil filter housing but in general.
Similar could have been the reason why your dealer in Surat wanted to get rid of the 5 month old car.
A worse version of this practice damaged the Skoda brand name.

These are the things that create a strong perception within masses. We know lot of cars that are really good like Figo twins, Zest & Bolt, Hexa. There is hardly to fault these cars. Your example clearly highlights how Ford Figo twins can be extremely pocket friendly and well built at same time than some other well known brands. But such practices make or break a brand's reputation.
There are a lots of 'if's and 'buts' in the case of Skoda or for that matter Ford as well. It has to be taken with a pinch of salt. All I can say is that the dealer did what was right At that particular point of time. Period.

And for the ones who have PM'ed me, I've got the Used Oil Analysis done from INTERTEK in Mumbai. Will post the oil analysis report in a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Awesome review of a very capable car in my opinion.

the fact that you have not done any other changes apart from the regular engine oil and the filters, is that as per the maintenance schedule that Ford prescribes or have you decided to follow your own?
Everything is as per the maintenance schedule and nothing is skipped from the schedule. In fact Ford recommends changing of air filter every 20k but I get them replaced at every 10k kms

Last edited by Aditya : 20th June 2017 at 16:00. Reason: Merged on request
auto_enthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 14:59   #22
BHPian

Thank you very much for this. Has been very informative. As a taxi operator myself, i have been giving much thought about getting Ford vehicles into the fleet. Your bills are much less than what i get at the Maruti ASS. Kindly keep updating this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Great review! Thank you for sharing.

I am amazed at how less Ford services cost (~30p per km run). Just to put numbers in perspective, I have spent around 60p per kilometer for my i-Dtec Jazz. Can you please share how much is the amount of Engine oil that the engine takes and whether you just topped up the Engine oil or drained/replaced oil oil every 10,000 kilometers? How hard is the clutch in your car - one reason I went for Jazz over Aspire diesel.

Perspective of the common man is what is hurting Ford in India. Low service cost, excellent mileage (at par with the i-Dtec and more than 1.3DDiS) and reliable cars, what more is needed by Ford to sell cars in India?
I love FORD cars. Period. A 2017 Ford GT over a Aventador SV anyday
There is only one thing needed for them to sell cars in India. A marketing dept with a brain. Their marketing is not making a mark anywhere.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th June 2017 at 16:00. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Sunrock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 16:31   #23
BHPian

This is really very promising & confidence building review to any prospect buyer. Hope Ford uses this as a marketing tool.
Thank you for the ownership cost of the car. Cheers to many more miles ahead.

How many drivers do you rotate the car with, its commendable that the car is still in great condition.
Asif 6959 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 16:55   #24
BANNED

Ford is emerging as the most pocket friendly brand. While buying my Endeavour last month I was in contact with various dealerships across Delhi/NCR. Most of them pointed out about the low service cost and maintenance plans. I remember one of the SA told that Ford is directly competing with the market leader Maruti in terms of ownership cost.

The service plans and cost are crystal clear and one can easily see the maintenance plans over Ford mobile app. Moreover I recently went for a general checkup for my Endeavour and spotted the maintenance chart displayed in the service center as well. One can easily make out that Ford is putting all efforts to make prospective customers happy with cheapest service plans.

BTW one of my friend recently posted pic of his Next Gen Ford Figo delivering a mileage of 26.3 kmpl over 8800 kms against the company claimed 25.3 kmpl and driving include the Gurgaon city traffic.

I am happy to be a part of Ford Family.
Attached Thumbnails
Marathon Mile Muncher: Ford Aspire TDCi, now @ 120,000 km-fb_img_1497957157058.jpg  

oblivion is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 17:20   #25
BHPian

Hi auto enthusiast
What are the overall costs involved in uber business?
And did you do an ROI analysis?
If yes,can you share?
Also, isn't outstation taxi a better business
Old 20th June 2017, 17:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

A very late congratulations on the acquisition mate!! Wishing you many many happy miles on the car. Thanks a lot for taking the time out to pen this report and put up the maintenance costs at each service. This will help current as well as prospective owners of the Figo twins and prove that Ford cars are definitely cheaper to maintain than what it is made out to be. Please do keep this thread updated at each milestone and keep the thread alive!
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 21:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this unique ownership report. One look at this thread and you will know why Aspire is a hot favorite for Uber drivers at Kochi at least.

I had a good chat with one of them sometime back. He started the conversation when he saw the Fiesta parked at home. Apparently Aspire was an easy choice for him to make.

The default choice, Etios is too costly at about 1.5 lakhs more. Dzire Tour is in the same price bracket, but its way too spartan. He also complained that DDiS in Tour really struggles under full load (passengers + AC). Is the engine tuned differently in the Tour for F.E.?

And Aspire gave him the most bang for his buck with power, space and comfort.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 23:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Thank you very much for this. Has been very informative. As a taxi operator myself, i have been giving much thought about getting Ford vehicles into the fleet. Your bills are much less than what i get at the Maruti ASS. Kindly keep updating this thread.
You can definitely add Ford vehicles to your fleet and I can vouch that you will not regret buying a Ford. Apart from the low maintenance costs, the fuel efficiency is also marvelous. If driven sedately it gives a fuel efficiency of 25-27 kmpl on highways, which very few cars can match.

BTW, which vehicles are there in your fleet and what is the running/maintenanace cost of these cars? It will be great if you can share some of the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif 6959 View Post
This is really very promising & confidence building review to any prospect buyer. Hope Ford uses this as a marketing tool.
Thank you for the ownership cost of the car. Cheers to many more miles ahead.

How many drivers do you rotate the car with, its commendable that the car is still in great condition.
Thanks for the wishes.

At any given point of time, 2 drivers drive the car in shifts of 12 hours each. Yes, the car has definitely held up well even though it has seen quite a few drivers change hands apart from the current ones. Hope that it holds up well in the times to come
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
Ford is emerging as the most pocket friendly brand. While buying my Endeavour last month I was in contact with various dealerships across Delhi/NCR. Most of them pointed out about the low service cost and maintenance plans. I remember one of the SA told that Ford is directly competing with the market leader Maruti in terms of ownership cost.
According to me, Ford cars are cheaper to maintain than most of the Maruti cars in the same segment and this was also one of the reason for choosing a Ford.

Quote:
The service plans and cost are crystal clear and one can easily see the maintenance plans over Ford mobile app. Moreover I recently went for a general checkup for my Endeavour and spotted the maintenance chart displayed in the service center as well. One can easily make out that Ford is putting all efforts to make prospective customers happy with cheapest service plans.
Ford has put up those huge charts prominently at all FASS, displaying the cost of each scheduled service. Also a separate chart has been put up mentioning the parts that needs to be replaced at each respective service, thereby preventing the customer from getting fleeced by the service centre.

Quote:
BTW one of my friend recently posted pic of his Next Gen Ford Figo delivering a mileage of 26.3 kmpl over 8800 kms against the company claimed 25.3 kmpl and driving include the Gurgaon city traffic.
Overall fuel efficiency of 26+ kmpl is really commendable under mixed driving conditions. BTW what is his usage pattern? Does he drive more on highways and less in city?
Quote:
I am happy to be a part of Ford Family.
Even I'm happy to be a part of Ford family, twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Hi auto enthusiast
What are the overall costs involved in uber business?
And did you do an ROI analysis?
If yes,can you share?
To be very much fair, business with Uber/Ola was good initially, but would not recommend anyone to attach a new car now. During the hey days, owners/drivers used to earn substantially but not anymore. Incentives have fallen big time and the aggregators are getting stricter day by day. A big plus point in my case is that my car runs in both the shifts and thereby making additional profit.
Quote:
Also, isn't outstation taxi a better business
Outstation business is also good. It all depends on how many clients you have who are willing to give you business on a regular basis. If you have good number of regular clients, then this is a better proposition than driving for the cab aggregators

Last edited by auto_enthusiast : 21st June 2017 at 00:07.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 09:23   #29
BHPian

Dear auto_enthusiast

Your Marathon Mile Muncher is indeed a Rare gem
My best friend owns an Eco Sport(Golden Bronze) and my colleague new gen Figo Aspire Petrol(Grey). Whenever I'm hanging out with any of these two the topic is only about Ford cars and they endlessly rave about their stress free ownership, best mileage and low maintenance contrary to the general public opinion that only MSIL makes cars with good mileage and low maintenance.

Quote:
50,000 kms service update
The 50,000 kms service was carried out on 10th June 2017 when the odo reading was at 49,500 kms.
Total amount paid: 4,500/- (for this service)
Total amount paid: 15,000/-(till date)
After reading this I was wondering, this..15k..I use to pay this amount for every paid service to maintain my Fiat GP 90HP

Just being curious, didn't you have to change any of the components such as Timing chain/Clutch/Tyres in this 50000kms even once ?

Wishing you the best and stress-free ownership for the upcoming milestones
srivatsahg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 10:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have very heavy usage of my cars, It used to be an average of 150km/day from mid 90's to about 2010, and is about 50km/day now as I travel a lot for work. My usual practice was to buy a new car and at 1 lakh km hand it over to my staff, usually between 18 and 24 months.
In my experience the cheapest to maintain per lakh km is Innova followed by all Fords. Maruti's are no where cheap, only the 5000 km interval makes one think so.
At times due to un-availablity of service appointment, we used to change the oil and air filter at 10K interval and directly service at 20K, even then two Ikon 1.3 rocam's did more than 2 Lakh km without a issue.
Like you I have delinked service rotation and wheel alignment.
Alignment is done only when I feel a doubt, observing tyre for un even wear is a daily practice one Innova had untouched factory alignment till little more than 60,000, and needed first set of 5 tyres at 90,000, and that too due to combination of planned back to back trips and aproaching rains.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed