Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2017, 00:56   #1
BHPian

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!

Hi friends,

Here’s a long term report of my 1st gen Ford Figo 1.4 Titanium Diesel. I have owned this car for close to 6 years now. My overall ownership experience has been satisfactory. I have given a breakup of maintenance costs and the expenses that I have incurred during my 6 years of ownership. I hope it will be beneficial for fellow members. Please pardon me for keeping the review short and crisp.

My car purchase saga.

I am the 2nd owner of this car. The first owner was a Doctor who had purchased this car for his wife. Since his wife used office transport, the car was rarely used by her hence they wanted to sell it off.

The Doctor had purchased this car in Jan 2011 and had driven it close to 13k kms till Oct 2011. Since he planned to sell the car, he didn’t even bother to get the 1st service done which was due at 10k kms. I saw the car listed on an auto classifieds site and decided to check it out. Since it was almost brand new car, I had very less scope for negotiation and could manage to knock off about 15k from the price that he had quoted.

Long story short, I picked up the car for 4.90 lacs in Oct 2011.

Clicked near Aarey beach on Ratnagiri - Ganpatipule coastal road.

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-aarey-waarey-road.jpg

Kumbharli ghat on Chiplun - Satara highway
1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-kumbharli.jpg

What I like:

A Driver’s car - I absolutely love the way it handles and feels planted on highways. I have quit other modes of travel and started traveling by road after I purchased this car. The suspension is a bit firm but it aids in maintaining the composure. The steering is a bit heavier to my liking on low speeds but lightens up as you pick up speed.

Build Quality – Though not in the league of VWs and Fiat, the build quality is robust and much better than its Japanese and Korean competitors.

Looks – They say that beauty is in the eyes of beholder. I am not a fan of flashy in-your-face, space-age designs; I prefer clean, well-proportioned looks. The Figo meets my requirement in this front. It may not have a wow factor but the design won’t offend anyone.

Fuel Efficiency - I get around 14 – 15 kmpl in city and around 18 kmpl on highway with 100% usage of AC. These high mileage figures combined with excellent road manners make it a good highway runner.

Boot Space – 284 liters of boot space means you can easily stack luggage of a nuclear family for a 20 day road trip. Apart from a large and a medium sized suitcase, I also of carry 3 cans of 5 liters Bisleri, 2 pillows, a laptop bag and a travel bag. All of this fits conveniently in the boot.

My RX 100’s chassis in Figo's boot.
1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-boot.jpg

Comfort - I have extensively used this car on highways and can vouch for the driving comfort. Many a times, I have driven Mumbai to Jaipur in a single day (with food and health breaks) and haven’t felt uncomfortable after such a long drive. The driver’s seat has a good travel range and a healthy height adjustment range. Legroom, headroom in rear seat is adequate for medium sized adults. My wife and son have been with me on all our road trips and they too feel at ease in the car.

Bhandarpule beach near Ganpatipule

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-ganpatipule.jpg

Yours truly somewhere near Tarkarli

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-tarkarli.jpg

What I don’t like:

Not a true top end – Despite of being ‘Top-of-the-line’ Titanium variant, it misses out on many goodies. For starters, the car has power windows only on the front doors. The rear seat passengers get the traditional window winder. Furthermore, it doesn’t have any sort of steering adjustment option; neither reach nor rake. For a car which was almost 6 lacs on-road in 2011, these are shocking omissions.

Low Ground Clearance - I have lost count of broken mud flaps I have replaced on this car. I finally gave up and accepted defeat. Whenever I have 3 passengers in the car, the under body kisses speed breakers. Even more alarming is the fact that this car doesn't have a sump guard. My car's oil sump has taken a hit but fortunately is still holding fort.

High cost of ownership – My experience in this section is mixed. Since most of my usage is on highways, I end up spending more on preventive maintenance sometimes. Please find a breakup of expenses till date.
1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-expenses.jpg

List of invoices for reference of parts changed during service schedules.

Since the first owner wanted to sell the car, he didn't send the car for scheduled first service at 10k kms. After the sale, once the documentation work was done, my first job was to give the car for its delayed first service.

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-14k_kms.jpg

In Feb 2012, I drove down to Trivandrum via Bangalore and returned via NH17 - coastal Karnataka - Goa route.

A pic at Thalasserry in Kannur district - Kerala

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-thalasherry.jpg

2nd service at 25k kms

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-25k_kms.jpg

At the time of 3rd service, I decided to get the 3M underbody anti-rust treatment done.

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-36_k_kms.jpg

During one of my drives from Ratnagiri to Mumbai, the AC stopped cooling all of a sudden. Since the 4th service was anyway pending, I decided to address the AC issue along with it. It turned out that AC Compressor coil had gone kaput. Since the car was not under extended warranty, I had to shell out the entire amount from my pocket. The cost including service was approx 12k. Here's a copy of the job card for everyone's reference.

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-48_k_kms.jpg

The ABS warning light came on sometime around 53k kms. I got the car scanned and the issue was zeroed to a faulty ABS sensor and wheel bearing.

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-53_k_kms.jpg

I drove down to Shimla, Manali and Rohtang from Mumbai in Nov. 2014. The car behaved wonderfully throughout.

A pic near the Pundoh dam en-route Manali

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-pundoh-dam.jpg

The 60 k kms service was a major expense because I got major suspension components changed. The overall expense was around 59k.

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-61_k_1.jpg

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-61_k_2.jpg

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-61_k_3.jpg

The 70k kms service costed me around 20k. Again this time, I got the timing belt, pulley changed because the car had completed 5 years and I was leave for Nainital for a holiday.

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-72_k_kms_1.jpg

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-72_k_kms_2.jpg

In the month of Nov 2016, I did a road trip to Nainital & Jim Corbett. Again, the car performed flawlessly.

Clicked near the tropic of cancer at Gujarat.

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-tropic-cancer.jpg

On my way back from Nainital, The ABS light started glowing intermittently around Dhule. I drove down from Dhule to Mumbai with the light having its own mind.

I got the car scanned once I was back and it turned out that Front ABS sensor was at fault. I spent around 5k in getting it repaired.

The only time I was stranded on road was when the gear cable bush broke somewhere around 66k. Fortunately, I was on 3rd gear and 15 mins away from the Ford ASC at Ratnagiri. I drove down to the service center and was out in 20 mins after spending 600 bucks.

All in all, the Figo is a costly car to live with. A Maruti or a Hyundai of the same vintage will be much cheaper to own. Having said that, I don't mind spending extra because I want to car to be in a good shape.

Last edited by Sabareesh : 5th February 2017 at 01:02.
Sabareesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 12:53   #2
BHPian

re: 1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!

Loved your ownership report. And yes, it confirms that American cars are costly to maintain. A car normally should not need to replace AC compressor coil at 48K, ABS sensors between 53K and 77K and needing suspension work at 61K.

I hope, this not normal with all Ford Figos!
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 13:55   #3
BHPian

re: 1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!

Thank you Sabareesh for a nice and crisp review !

The Figo is a gem of a car ! As a proud owner of a 2014 Figo Titanium which has run 42,000 kms, what could I say? I am falling in love with the car, again and again. Never did the American beauty fail to make me happy. I could very well feel the emotional connection that you have with your car. Not many cars connect with you like that.

The points that you have mentioned as what you like about the car i.e A driver's car, Build quality, Looks, Fuel efficiency, Boot space and Comfort are what makes the car so special to me.

Sure the American beauty is not easy on your pocket, but never will she let you down.

Happy and safe driving
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 07:44   #4
BHPian

Hi Sabareesh!
Thank you for putting this together! I also own 2012 refreshed Figo TDCi Titanium. She has clocked 70k till date. I am really happy with my Figo. Just my 2 cents:
  1. Your fuel efficiency figures are on lower side. I get 16-17kmpl in city. On highways I get 20 kmpl minimum. If I go sedate, this goes up to 22-23kmpl
  2. I am happy with maintaining her as she is light on my wallet. Servicing costs are pretty much similar what you mentioned. But no parts replacement yet. I don't agree Hyundai is cheaper to maintain than Ford.
  3. If possible try to find out trusted FNG to service her. Or change the A. S. S. Though I find A. S. S. costs are comparable.
Happy mile munching!
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 16:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Hi Sabareesh!
Thank you for putting this together! I also own 2012 refreshed Figo TDCi Titanium. She has clocked 70k till date. I am really happy with my Figo. Just my 2 cents:
  1. Your fuel efficiency figures are on lower side. I get 16-17kmpl in city. On highways I get 20 kmpl minimum. If I go sedate, this goes up to 22-23kmpl
  2. I am happy with maintaining her as she is light on my wallet. Servicing costs are pretty much similar what you mentioned. But no parts replacement yet. I don't agree Hyundai is cheaper to maintain than Ford.
  3. If possible try to find out trusted FNG to service her. Or change the A. S. S. Though I find A. S. S. costs are comparable.
Happy mile munching!
I am glad to know that your Figo hasn't undergone any parts replacement yet. My early replacement was partly due to horrible roads in my area. Those roads can make lunar craters look tiny. Having said that, the service adviser had told me that the car might take 5 - 6 k kms more without the replacement but I didn't want to take chances hence got it done along with service.

I have so far given my car to 4 F.A.S.Ses in and around Mumbai. 1st was Bhavna Ford at Nerul. Though there work quality was good, I stopped visiting them primarily because their advisers used to push a lot for accessories / internal cleaning and all that stuff. The second one was AVK at Kurla. Shoddy garage and lousy advisers; the car was unclean after servicing. They didn't even bother to clean up the car before delivery. The 3rd A.S.S is Shreeji Ford at Thane. Good place, service advisers are courteous and work quality is good. 4th one is Satyam Ford at Kalyan. There service quality is good and so are the advisers.
Old 6th February 2017, 17:00   #6
BHPian

I am facing 2 problems with the Figo ever since I purchased it. The first one is that the car switches off abruptly during downshifts. This happens usually when the car is cold started. I have read on Team-BHP that many owners have faced this problem and a firmware update has sorted this problem. I am yet to do it. Will remember to get it done during the next scheduled service.

Another problem is a hissing sound from AC; Its not present always but comes in irregular intervals. There is no loss of cooling, the service advisers are unable to figure out the problem. I thought it might get sorted after the cooling coil was changed but the issue persists. Many people from A.S.S have told me that this issue persists with 2011 Figos.
Old 6th February 2017, 17:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Hi Sabareesh!
Happy mile munching!
Couldn't agree more. I own a June 2012 Ford Figo and it has been a very cost efficient ownership till date. I'd say the servicing cost is on par with the Japanese rivals especially if you consider the long service interval of 10K kilometers.

My Figo has clocked almost 78K and it's been sheer pleasure to drive this beauty. Complete driver's car. I guess this is Ford's DNA. However I found two problems with this car. One, as you rightly pointed out, low ground clearance. I've got 3M underbody coating done which gives decent protection against rough roads. Then, the headlights are joke. I can barely see anything on the left hand side. I'd raised this to ASS who told me this is problem with the reflectors and not with the lamps. But overall Figo is one of the best cars to drive.
Old 6th February 2017, 18:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_d_Kool View Post
the headlights are joke. But overall Figo is one of the best cars to drive.
I had upgraded to Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs around 3 years back. They have served me well. The illumination is much better than the stock bulbs.

I agree, Figo is one of the best cars to drive. I fall in love every time I drive it. Be it ghats, straight stretches or single lane highways, it gives you an unmatched pleasure.
Old 6th February 2017, 18:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sabareesh, Nice to see you enjoying the Figo. I have a 2013 refreshed Figo, have done 52k and am thoroughly enjoying the car. I get similar mileage figures that you have reported, but my service cost have been much lower. Thankfully have had no part failure till date *touchwood* !

10K - Rs.1750
20K - Rs.4066
30K - Rs.5004
40K - Rs.4517
50K - Rs.4115

All the services listed above include no extras (except engine waxing in the 30K service). I do my wheel alignment and balancing outside. The Figo is actually cheaper to service that our Ertiga which sees standard 6- 7k bills per service.

Recently had an issue with rusting on the doors and Ford replaced all the doors under goodwill warranty ! My experience at the Ford service centre in Pune (Sai Sakshi) has also been positive.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 6th February 2017 at 18:11.
Old 6th February 2017, 18:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Owning two Fords, I disagree that service costs are more than Hyundai or Maruti. i also own a WagonR and hence my opinion. The service cost is comparable with the WagonR.

Just read the thread on Hyundai service costs and you will get a clear picture. For instance, the fuel filter in the i20 has to be changed very often and costs quite a lot.

But it is true that the following costs have to be incurred on the diesel Figo:
  1. AC evaporator coil. This usually fails in 4 to 8 years. I had to change the one in the Fiesta 1.6 after 8 years, and the one on my Figo tdci in 4 years 2 months. Ford charges around 12 K for it, but I got it done at an FNG for Rs 7500 in each case.
  2. AC fan motor could fail. The one on my Fiesta failed in 2.2 years and was changed FOC under EW. Would have cost around 4 K otherwise. The Figo's is still fine.
  3. The diesel needs a change of a couple of belts (I think drive belt and pulley and some other belt) between 40000 to 60000 kms. This costs around 13 K. The petrol needs only the drive belt to be changed at 60000 kms. This costs around 2.5 K. Haven't changed mine yet, but plan to do so soon, as i've just crossed 60 K.
Your FE figures match mine. When the Figo was with me in Hyderabad, city FE ranged from 14 to 16, and highway FE between 17 to 21, depending on speed of driving. Now it is with my daughter in Bangalore, so the city FE has dropped to 13 to 15, given the traffic snarls.

I think your major expenditure was on suspension overhaul and that was due to the bad roads you drive on. The same would have happened to a Maruti or Hyundai.

Wish you many happy miles on the Figo.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 23:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Owning two Fords, I disagree that service costs are more than Hyundai or Maruti. i also own a WagonR and hence my opinion. The service cost is comparable with the WagonR.
Could not agree more on that.Regular service costs are comparable to Maruti Suzuki or Hyundai .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I think your major expenditure was on suspension overhaul and that was due to the bad roads you drive on. The same would have happened to a Maruti or Hyundai.
To each his own. For instance my Figo had faced issues with engine overheating, subsequently leading to head gasket replacement as early as 30,000 Kms. It is a one off case though. I have shared the experience here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4138155

I consider the Figo as a robust machine. There may be a few niggles over time, but the smile she brings on your face, everytime you head out for a drive more than makes up for it.
BLACKBLADE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 11:51   #12
BHPian

The car crossed 82,000 kms without any niggles or issues. Since the 80k service was scheduled, I decided to get it done at Satyam Ford at Kalyan. The service advisor told me that there was a play in the steering rack but I decided not to attend to it (due to reasons mentioned below)

Overall cost for the servicing was 8,494/-. Here's the invoice copy for everone's reference.

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-83k_1.jpg

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-83k_2.jpg

Due to an impulsive purchase of another car, I decided to part ways with Figo. It is not with me as I type this last paragraph of the ownership review. I have become a lifelong a fan of this car. Never did it let me down and managed to bring a wide smile on my face whenever I drove it. It was with me throughout my travels across cities and hinterland. One may disagree but this was one of the best cars launched by Ford here. The 1.4 Figo and subsequently the Ecosport were game changers for Ford in India.

As a closing shot in the review, here's my pic with the car before it left my apartment's parking lot.

1st-gen Ford Figo 1.4L Titanium Diesel - Service costs over 78,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-sabareesh-figo.jpg

Long live the Figo
Sabareesh is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed