Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2017, 13:20   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me

The first scheduled 'checkup' was for 6months/7500kms (whichever comes earlier). on 19th May, 5 days before completion of 5 months, the GT TSI crossed the land mark. I called the VW service center at Rajajinagar one day before that and took the next available appointment for 20th May.

On the morning of 20th, I went to the car, removed all my personal items and started from home at 09:00 and reached the palace cross service centre at 09:45. It was 16kms away form home and it was the closest service centre to my home.

The car was attended to quickly and a job sheet was created by the service executive Bopanna. I was asked for any complaints.
1. The right rear door was not closing like the others and needed a higher force to close correctly.
2. On rough road, slight noise. Something like two metal parts hitting each other.
I told him that I was worried if it was something to do about the gearbox. He told that Gearbox issue will create a screeching noise (something similar to one metal part rubbed on another. He told that under chassis bolts and joints may need check for the kind of sounds that I mentioned.

He told me that the vehicle would be ready by 14:30 and they'll call me. Although I felt it was a lot of time for this small check-up, I didn't have any plans for the day and I so I went back home.

I didn't get any call but I reached at 15:30. Although the car was ready, billing(0 Rupees) and delivery of the vehicle took 1 hour. while delivering he told that the sounds must have reduced now after an underbody check-up. The door issue seemed to have reduced but not fully I would say. But it was nothing to be worried about.

When I sat in to drive, I noticed that interiors were really clean. But there was this overdose of polish or whatever they used. In fact I took my microfiber cloth and wiped the steering wheel once because my hands were getting "oily"

On Sunday, I got a feedback call and I gave this feedback but still overall I gave them a satisfactory rating. Frankly there was nothing to be done, but thankfully they didn't mess up anything either.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 17:11   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

A little over 5 months and my GT TSI crossed the 8k Mark yesterday.
It has been 8000 kms of excitement, exhilaration, apprehension to name a few emotions. So far so good.

Only thing missing so far is a really long drive

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170530_175438.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 19:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The bulbs needed an upgrade. I went in search of Osram night-breaker plus to a know Accessory shop. He had only Philips extreme visions which are equally good. I got all 4 bulbs changed and also got the Philips LEDs for the fogs. It’s really easy on my eyes now during the night drives.
Could you please tell me where you got these bulbs changed from? I need them for my GT as well.
Old 24th June 2017, 14:55   #49
BHPian

Hi hemanth.anand,

Could you kindly let us know the specifications of the bulbs for the low beams, the high beams and the front fogs. I am planning to get them changed in my GT TSI.
Old 27th June 2017, 11:57   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaljawahar View Post
Could you please tell me where you got these bulbs changed from? I need them for my GT as well.
I got it done at High Definition Cars in Jayanagar. Google maps will show it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Hi hemanth.anand,
Could you kindly let us know the specifications of the bulbs for the low beams, the high beams and the front fogs. I am planning to get them changed in my GT TSI.
I have put Philips extremevision bulbs. I've not deviated from the stock specs. Even though it is the same spec, the light will be considerably better in Philips Extremevison and Osram Nightbreaker

Meanwhile on the 6-month Anniversary of the cars, the Polo Crossed the 9000Km. Its been a "NICE" journey so far

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-9000_20170625_082650.jpg
9000Kms in 6 months

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170627_07324901.jpg
NICE journey so far...

And regarding the K10. It has come close to 1000kms in the same period. the second free service is also completed. nothing much to report on that front. the usual follow-up from Kalyani, door pick-up and drop with 3-4 calls in between. Since the running was very low, there was nothing done at all apart from a water-less wash
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 13:47   #51
BHPian

NICE pun ideed! However, 40 degrees in Bangalore?
Old 27th June 2017, 16:05   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meples View Post
NICE pun ideed! However, 40 degrees in Bangalore?
Of course this year's summer was harsh in Bengaluru, but not as harsh as 40.
It was the day's first drive and that's the engine temperature still on its way to the optimum temperature of 90 degrees.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 16:29   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I have put Philips extremevision bulbs. I've not deviated from the stock specs. Even though it is the same spec, the light will be considerably better in Philips Extremevison and Osram Nightbreaker
Thank you very much.

As far as I could find out, the following are the specs for the stock bulbs.

Headlamps (both low and high beams): H7 55W / 12V

Fog lamps (front): H8 35W / 12V

Can you confirm the above specs?

I am thinking in terms of Philips Extreme Vision Plus for the headlamps and Philips Blue Vision for the front fog lamps or anything equivalent to these.
Old 20th July 2017, 17:04   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

It's always special, when the number of digits on the ODO increases. On the GT TSI, it increased from 4 to 5. I had driven to Ooty last weekend during which this happened.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170715_070905.jpg
Biggest 4-digit number

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170715_071012.jpg
Smallest 5-Digit number

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170715_095729.jpg
Binary...would've been better if it would've been 3 minutes later

With the ODO crossing 10K, I plan to go for a wheel alignment and balancing this coming weekend.

On the negative side, I faced a small weird issue. While going back from Office on Tuesday, suddenly the Head unit started acting strange. Whatever mode I selected, the volume was reducing automatically to zero. even if I increase, it came back to zero. I put changed to phone or SD card or USB, it would mute itself. Switching off and on back again didn't help. As is the case most of the times with electronics, I left it as it is for the day and the next morning, it was back to normal!

Now, some pictures from the Weekend drive of around 600Kms

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-img_070201.jpg
Cooling down after a 6hour drive

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-img_083101.jpeg
Night drive in the forest

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-img_092201.jpeg
Dreamland...

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-img_106401.jpg
Long long way to go

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-img_1084011.jpg
Looking back...the journey has been good so far!

Like I said in the beginning, It's always special, when the number of digits on the ODO increases. On the Alto too, it increased. In this case, it's from 3 to 4

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170708_195431.jpg
Smallest 4-Digit Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitkde View Post
Thank you very much.
As far as I could find out, the following are the specs for the stock bulbs.
Headlamps (both low and high beams): H7 55W / 12V
Fog lamps (front): H8 35W / 12V

Can you confirm the above specs?
I am thinking in terms of Philips Extreme Vision Plus for the headlamps and Philips Blue Vision for the front fog lamps or anything equivalent to these.
Sorry for the delayed reply, I missed this somehow. The specs are correct. I guess you would've already got it changed by now.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 20th July 2017 at 17:07.
hemanth.anand is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 07:21   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely pictures Hemanth and good to see your passion :-)

The road pictures are at which location? I've driven many times to Ooty, but always via Masinagudi and only once via Gudalur.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 10:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the GT TSI, it increased from 4 to 5.

On the Alto too, it increased. In this case, it's from 3 to 4
So Hemant, that is as clear as "Polo is the most updated Car in India" sorts, as to which one of your two steads gets the maximum attention.

I had warned you during your upgrade quest, that you may really need an oil burner, as you will out-run your Punto usage by a long shot.

I guess, the terrific DSG+TSI combination is doing wonders for you.

Keep rolling, and drive safe.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 10:59   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
The road pictures are at which location? I've driven many times to Ooty, but always via Masinagudi and only once via Gudalur.
Same here, of the many times I've visited Ooty, only once I've driven through Gudalur. The long, straight road in the last 2 photos are from Himavad Gopalaswamy Betta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
So Hemant, that is as clear as "Polo is the most updated Car in India" sorts, as to which one of your two steads gets the maximum attention.
Call me selfish, but Alto is not mine

Quote:
I had warned you during your upgrade quest, that you may really need an oil burner, as you will out-run your Punto usage by a long shot.
Oil burner, I would've definitely spent less per km. But anyway, there is no huge difference these days between price of Petrol and Diesel. And the extra cost is well worth the silent of this engine and the linear power delivery. But the higher running is more attributed to the fact that I'm driving to work these days.

Quote:
I guess, the terrific DSG+TSI combination is doing wonders for you.
I had thought I would miss a Manual GB, but DSG has proved me wrong. Enjoying it so far!
Old 8th August 2017, 21:14   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

On 29th July the GT crossed 11000Kms
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170729_133049.jpg

Last weekend, I finally got time to go for the 5k Kms wheel alignment and Balancing. As usual went to Madhus at langford road and got the road force balancing and wheel alignment done. This time the experience was far better than what I had previously. Work was done well but still faster.

For the long weekend on the independence day, A drive is planned and the car is ready for it. By the end of the trip, I expect the car to cross 13k kms.
Old 11th September 2017, 20:26   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

As written in my previous post, the car crossed 13k and 14k in the Independence day drive. More on that in the below link.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ai-sagara.html

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-1669360d1503579754t4bhpians4days1850cc1650kmpanhalamasaisagaradsc_1869.jpg

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-1669478d1503594740t4bhpians4days1850cc1650kmpanhalamasaisagaradsc_2632.jpg

Today evening it crossed 14k.
We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20170911_174548.jpg

Now I'm preparing myself for the 1st service sometime next month. A small squeaky noise near the rear passenger seat is the only issue I have as of now.
Old 11th October 2017, 10:01   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

BHPian avinashsg and I had a plan to go to Hyderabad for sightseeing from many days. We had planned to visit during the Gandhi Jayanthi weekend
He got his Safari Serviced on 16th September to get ready for the trip. One of the biggest problem in his car was that it was wobbling badly above 90kmph.
The problem was from the after market alloy in his vehicle. However the service centre had tried it's best to reduce the severity.

During the next weekend, he took it out for a small 100Km drive. He came back saying that it was too much and wouldn't risk it for 1300 Round trip.
So it was decided to take my GT TSI, compromising on the cramped cabin space. My vehicle ODO was at 14300 Kms. So I called up the service centre for an appointment on September 22nd.
The service centre lady told that there was no appointment till October 4th. I told them that I had to go on a long unexpected trip.
To that the lady told 600 to 700 kilometres extra wouldn't be a problem since my vehicle is over 2 months short of 1 year. The service appointment was booked for October 5th 9AM
So we took the car to Hyderabad and came back on Oct 2nd by when the ODO stood on 15600

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-15000_20171001_100024.jpg
15K milestone

On 5th, I reached the service centre at 9AM sharp. Already there were some cars. The security guided me to a slot and gave me a pink coloured slip.
I kept waiting inside my car with the slip placed on the dashboard. After 30 minutes nobody attended to me but I started to couple of cars who came later were attended to.
By the time I started to wonder how this was possible and as I was about to get out and ask, An executive came and asked me the reason why I was waiting.
I told I was waiting for someone to take the car. he took the slip and saw that mine was the 8th car. The previous car he did was the 14th car!
He asked me why i didn't give the slip inside their counter. I told no one told me.

He went to the counter and then got a job card and also spoke to the people at the counter and the security as to why they didn't look into this. They were clueless.
He later apologised to me and started to take in the car. He went around the car and noted down all things. He asked me about the problems and there were hardly any problem apart from a small squeaking noise.
I also told him to check why all contacts from my phone were not syncing. Only 400/1000 were getting imported.

He then explained what all will be part of service. All oils, filter, wash and interior cleaning, WA and WB. He suggested me to go for 3M exterior treatment which I declined.
I also told him that I'll do the WA and WB outside. He gave me an estimate of 11.5K. Upon asking he told that he'll give it the next day evening. I asked him why he needed 2 days for the 1yr service with no other major issue.
He told that there are lots of cars and for the detailed service as per German standards, it would take time. Although i didn't buy that, I agreed because I wasn't in any hurry either.

I also told him that I didn't want the Lumax Airfilter and I wanted the UFI filter. more on that in this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ir-filter.html
Although I still can't believe that the Air filter could affect so much (You can see my opinion in this post), I mentioned this just to see his reaction.

However, the service executive told and I quote "No sir, we'll put UFI only. Lumax and all we don't use at all" I asked him if he was sure and he told, "Yes sir, Lumax and all we don't don't use"

With that, I was good to go by 10:30. So far so good.

Next day till 4PM, I waited for his call and received nothing. I wanted the car by evening so called him up at around 4. He told it'll be ready by 5. Upon asking about the cost he told he'll check and let me know.
He called at 4:30 and told that it was ~12400 and I can take the vehicle by 5:30. I started from home at 4:45 and reached there in an hour's time.
The vehicle was ready and I was taken to the service desk. He asked me to wait till he got the invoice ready. Before signing, I asked him how it costed so much. he told that all oils and filters cost around 5K.
He then told labour was around 7K. I was shocked! I was looking at the display boards there the 15K service for the GT TSI was 2900 something. I asked him how it was 7K?
He told that because of the squeaking noise I had complained about, they had opened the brake assembly an had fit it again. it was 500 per wheel.
Then he told me that they had done 3M interior cleaning and AC disinfectant which cost over 3K. I was not amused. I asked him why he did that. He told I had agreed.
I was really unhappy to hear this and gave him a piece of my mind. I was told that interior cleaning was part of the cleaning service. When I told this, he replied back saying that in the normal cleaning, interiors are not cleaned.
I was totally angry by this time and i asked him why he didn't call me to explain the charges beforehand for any thing not part of the actual service. He just stood silent.

I demanded him to remove this charge. he told that it was already invoiced and can't be changed.
I was disappointed at how slyly it was included in the job card and also how I was not given the cost breakup. I finally paid it but not before a lot of argument.

then we went to the car to showed me all the work carried out. He told that the contacts importing is not any problem with the 100 numbers but a space issue. he told only 200MB is allowed and my 400 contacts would reach 200MB.
He then showed the old parts(filters basically) that were kept in the boot.
I asked him about the air filter. He told "Yes sir, we have put UFI only" I told I wanted to see.
Very confidently he called a mechanic and asked him to show. He told it'll take some time to open all 5 screws. I told I can wait.
So he opened it and not surprisingly it was Lumax! His facial expression was wonderful to watch. He took the filter in the boot. it was an UFI filter.

He asked for some time and went inside to check with his higher manager. he came back in 5 minutes and then told that this is what they have as approved part from VW and there will be no change in performance
He told me to try it and if there were any performance reduction, they'll address it. I was not very particular about this, I didn't push it further.
More than the actual filter, I was really dissatisfied at how they confidently lie. I had to show his lie and I was successful in that
It was about to rain and I decided to leave. The guy who had washed outside came to me and asked for a feedback. I told that it doesn't matter as all his work will not be spoilt in a few minutes when it starts to pour.
But since he insisted, I gave him good ratings (for the wash only as it looked clean from the exterior) and left.
The service advisor asked me to rate 5 star when I get a feedback call.
I wasn't in a good frame of mind to talk to him and left.

So all the decent work carried out on the car was marred by the attitude. Fleecing the customer and making the money seems to be the only aim.
Apart from that 3+ k, 9K for a paid service is still reasonable for me. it is this money making attitude that has build the "expensive" image to VW I felt
Even though I was careful in declining the WA & WB and the Exterior treatment, I was not careful enough which led me to being robbed of 3K.
Lesson learnt the hard way, I would approach it much more carefully next time.

After this I took the car to a family function and the car was parked for 4 hours of which 3 hours in torrential rain.
When I started to drive home from there, the windshield was really foggy. Even though I tried all sorts of demisting, nothing helped.
With great difficulty, I reached home. The culprit was some sort of liquid applied on the windshield for the interior treatment.
Saturday morning, took a 3M microfiber cloth and wiped the windshield clean. after that during rains on Saturday the misting issue was gone.
Also, the interior cleaning was pathetic with liquid marks all over the many piano black parts in the dash. I cleaned it whenever I had stopped at signals.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20171007_123233.jpg
poor cleaning

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20171007_1236111.jpg
Marks everywhere

Saturday morning, when I took out the car out of my parking lot, I felt something not good with the car, the air pressure felt very low. when I went to the fuel station to get it checked, it was 28psi. I felt really bad that a small and important thing like this is not checked when the car is serviced. But they don't fail to do unnecessary things on the car.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20171007_080246.jpg
Low air pressure

For WA and WB, I went to Madhus and got the Alignment and Roadforce balancing done as the car had completed 5k from the previous time it was done.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20171007_144934.jpg
Alignment in progress

Monday afternoon, I got the feedback call I gave a total rating of 2 out of 5. The lady asked why and I told her everything. She told she'll take my feedback and work.
In the evening, I got a feedback survey link from VW and I wrote all this in detail. Let me see what they do with it. Expectation is nil to low.

In the last 3 days, I got a chance to check the vehicle performance on Highway roads and happy to report that there seems to be no change whatsoever.
The car is running as smooth as before. Thankfully the Lumax filter has done nothing to harm the car's performance.
Today the car is around 15800Kms. 16000 will be crossed this week or the next when the car completes 10 months.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

Alto K10
Nothing much to update here except for the fact that it's approaching 2K
However there is a mysterious deep scar that has appeared on top of the bonnet.

Sunday morning, When I wiped the car, I don't remember seeing it. But in the evening, when I came to drive it, this damage on the bonnet had appeared.

We Two, Ours Two - Alto K10 AMT for my wife, Polo GT TSI for me-20171005_200806.jpg
it's like a scar on the heart

Apart from my office parking lot and the parking lot at my home, it hasn't been parked anywhere else and both parking areas are rather safe. My wife also has driven it alone anywhere and when with me, no incident has happened. Some scratches on the headlamp and fender are also there. I have absolutely no idea how it has happened. Looking at the scratches too, can't imagine what could've caused it. Since it is a small one, I've decided to leave it as it is
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed