Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2021, 20:17   #256
Team-BHP Support

Wow. So basically they launched it in CKD presumably to make it more price competitor and then increased prices shortly after. Bit of a bummer that - isnt it?
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 00:02   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Wow. So basically they launched it in CKD presumably to make it more price competitor and then increased prices shortly after. Bit of a bummer that - isnt it?
The ES CKD currently retails for 66.5-72.5 on road mumbai individual.

Pricing in my opinion is more or less in line with rivals, except that Toyota/Lexus isn't a big believer in discounts (barring the odd instance like the previous gen ES fire sale before the launch of the new gen).

This lack of discounts makes the ES pricier than vehicles like the E LWB, 6GT, etc. which are arguably half a segment up.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 13:04   #258
BHPian

re: Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The ES is the highest selling Lexus model in India. So they localised it by CKD kits to get some taxation benefit but that benefit has been entirely consumed by Toyota India continuing their belief that they are a gift to Indians and should tax Indians heavily for giving us their products.

I think the ES is better than E / 5 and A6 but it should not cost more than 60-64 on road Mumbai. New E is costing 83 on road Mumbai but Mercedes discounts it and it is also overpriced. Toyota being Toyota just is following Germans to maximise their profits which should not be the business strategy in my opinion.
M00M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 19:51   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms

Bagheera, my panther, completes 4 years in a fortnight. This last one year, thanks to the lock down etc. has seen limited driving but I expect the mile munching will pick up. Only today she did ~140 kms on top of ~110 kms yesterday and another ~80 kms scheduled for tomorrow. I'll be posting a four year experience note with pictures in early April.

I usually keep my cars for a 7 to 10 year period. But this car I am sentimentally attached to for some very personal reasons and am very seriously thinking of holding on to it for the full 20-years, till 2037, that the Govt. now permits and who knows maybe longer if I'm still around.
Attached Thumbnails
Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms-2021-january-1.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 19:58   #260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Bagheera, my panther, completes 4 years in a fortnight...
Fantastic car, and will probably (definitely?) outlast you with the sort of care it's getting.

As to Toyota's pricing shenanigans, if paying just the same, one's better off having gotten the early-bird CBU import.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:40   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Bagheera, my panther, completes 4 years.
Congratulations Sir. It doesnt really look 4 forget even 1 from this picture.

I think in 20 years of ownership youll do some 3 lac kms. which will be a case study in lexus reliability for Lexus on Indian roads.
M00M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:38   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Bagheera, my panther, completes 4 years in a fortnight.

am very seriously thinking of holding on to it for the full 20-years, till 2037
That says a lot about the car and more than that your love and passion . All the best Mr Narayan. I wish I could say that about my car ... Germans are notorious for long dubious ownerships. Fingers crossed
Puneet0051 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:36   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Fantastic car, and will probably (definitely?) outlast you with the sort of care it's getting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Congratulations Sir. It doesnt really look 4 forget even 1 from this picture.
I think in 20 years of ownership youll do some 3 lac kms. which will be a case study in lexus reliability for Lexus on Indian roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
That says a lot about the car and more than that your love and passion . All the best Mr Narayan. I wish I could say that about my car ... Germans are notorious for long dubious ownerships. Fingers crossed
Thank you, Gentlemen, for your kind words and good wishes. You will be bored with this ownership thread going on and on and on.....I've written to Toyota/ Lexus Japan and informed them of my decision and stated that as this was the first Lexus they delivered in Delhi-NCR/North India {maybe India, but I have no proof of that}, after opening shop in India in April 2017, they have a duty of care to support my ambition. One great thing being my age is that folks tolerate a degree of idiosyncrasy and obtuse demands
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 09:42   #264
BHPian

So I need some advice.

I was planning on getting a new camry hybrid soon, but they are not making any deliveries till September this year.

My choices are now a lightly used previous gen camry hybrid which would be roughly in the budget of 20L for a 2017 model year.

OR

There is an ES300h 2017 available as well (35k done) available for roughly 33-34.

Is it worth stretching that extra 13L for the lexus, when they are identical cars underneath?

Advice would be welcome.
kapi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 10:44   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapi View Post
I was planning on getting a new camry hybrid soon, but they are not making any deliveries till September this year. My choices are now a lightly used previous gen camry hybrid which would be roughly in the budget of 20L for a 2017 model year.

OR

There is an ES300h 2017 available as well (35k done) available for roughly 33-34. Is it worth stretching that extra 13L for the lexus, when they are identical cars underneath?
I do not know how true it is that a Camry and a Lexus are the same underneath. Maybe they are maybe they are not. I don't have real data as opposed to opinions on the net. In terms of driving experience you should test both out thoroughly to determine what suits your style and preferences. In terms of ride quality the Lexus is better than the 2017 model Camry. How much better is hard to say. In terms of reliability of the hybrid battery and mechanism both are equally good. In terms of leather, wood paneling and interiors I believe the Lexus, understandably is a notch better. In terms of ASS, Toyota is very good, Lexus is superlative.

If you get a 2020 Camry {and are okay with its frontis piece} then that subject to price could be a very attractive choice.

I own the 2017 Lexus ES300h and in my ex-business we had a 2006 Camry and by B-i-L has the 2020 Camry which also I have driven. My observations are based on these three cars.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 10:52   #266
BHPian

Quote:
In terms of ride quality the Lexus is better than the 2017 model Camry. How much better is hard to say. In terms of reliability of the hybrid battery and mechanism both are equally good. In terms of leather, wood paneling and interiors I believe the Lexus, understandably is a notch better. In terms of ASS, Toyota is very good, Lexus is superlative.

If you get a 2020 Camry {and are okay with its frontis piece} then that subject to price could be a very attractive choice.
I would agree that the interior quality, sound insulation the lexus is a notch above the camry.

I didn't really feel that much of a difference between the ride quality to be honest. They both use the same tyres (Yoko DB) and the difference in RQ may have been very very marginal.

The 2020 camry is 45L on road new! That's why I thought why not go the pre-owned route and save quite a bit!
Old 25th March 2021, 11:14   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I need some advice.

I was planning on getting a new camry hybrid soon, but they are not making any deliveries till September this year.

My choices are now a lightly used previous gen camry hybrid which would be roughly in the budget of 20L for a 2017 model year.

OR

There is an ES300h 2017 available as well (35k done) available for roughly 33-34.

Is it worth stretching that extra 13L for the lexus, when they are identical cars underneath?

Advice would be welcome.
It's easy to answer. Both are good options. 13L is totally justified if you appreciate aesthetics, finer details and the prestige. It is also a significant amount of money to save if those things don't matter to you in a car. Some people prefer to avoid prestigious brands. Core aspects of safety, space, drive-train, fuel efficiency etc would be more or less the same.

Last edited by androdev : 25th March 2021 at 11:16.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 12:08   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it worth stretching that extra 13L for the lexus, when they are identical cars underneath?.
Absolutely NOT.

Pick that Camry before someone else buys it
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 12:51   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I own the 2017 Lexus ES300h and in my ex-business we had a 2006 Camry and by B-i-L has the 2020 Camry which also I have driven. My observations are based on these three cars.
Thanks for that wonderfully insightful summary VNarayan. Really helpful to have the benefit of your 360 inputs based on your detailed experience of all three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
It's easy to answer. Both are good options. 13L is totally justified if you appreciate aesthetics, finer details and the prestige. It is also a significant amount of money to save if those things don't matter to you in a car. Some people prefer to avoid prestigious brands. Core aspects of safety, space, drive-train, fuel efficiency etc would be more or less the same.
@Kapi: Everything he said! Couldn’t sum it up better, although if it was me personally making the decision ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Pick that Camry before someone else buys it
... that’s the direction in which I would go. You still get the occasional 2-3 year old Lexus in the market from time to time. But to get a 3 year old Camry is almost impossible to find. It has a small customer base and those who do buy seem to hold it for at least 5 years if not more. The price too is not unreasonable IMO. I’d say if that’s where you are veering, you should TD it and seal the deal quickly.

Good luck
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 12:57   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would agree that the interior quality, sound insulation the lexus is a notch above the camry.

I didn't really feel that much of a difference between the ride quality to be honest. They both use the same tyres (Yoko DB) and the difference in RQ may have been very very marginal.

The 2020 camry is 45L on road new! That's why I thought why not go the pre-owned route and save quite a bit!
If you are inclined to go for the Camry you should do so. The extra Rs 13L for the Lexus being worth it or not is a very subjective issue and can vary widely between 6 people each being right in his own way. All the best.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks