Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2018, 21:57   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrgill View Post
Dear Sir,

I finished reading your entire ownership review in one go from 0230 to 0530.Your eye for details is super.I am a Radiologist by profession and a aviation enthusiast .Would have definitely been a aviator except for the fact that my eyesight wasn't good enough and in those days you couldn't do anything about it.My Father and Son both are aviators so I live my dreams through their experiences.
I think you need to have a look at the new Camry Hybrid that's just about to be launched, it looks very similar to the Lexus ES 300 h.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...uary-18-410819

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 17th December 2018 at 23:27. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 08:35   #167

Received a call from Lexus two days after my email for a test drive .
The executive said that they were having some software issues when I protested about the delay in their revert.

He put me on to a conference call with Janpath Lexus who declared that they didn't have a display or test drive ES300h .No discounts available and earliest they could deliver a car is February 2019 .So that's the end of the Lexus foray for me .Camry Hybrid is scheduled for a January February 2019 delivery. This was also earlier posted by RickyC.

I did mention Xbhp and Mr Narayan to the Lexus executive when he enquired about who has recommended the Lexus. The poor guy had never heard of XBhp! I think he was just a regular call centre jockey.
In my experience of visiting car showrooms in the past few months the best response for a walk in customer was by Mercedes, Skoda and BMW in south Delhi Mathura road and surprise surprise Harbir Mahindra at Chandigarh.

As Mr Turbanator stated in a previous post I to was in regular street clothes and on a motorcycle. Totally unlike a prospective customer.
To be honest had no intention of purchasing a expensive big BMW X5 for my son who would have been happy with a Kodiak.
Over a few days of evening visits after my work was done at hospital way beyond the showroom closing time the BMW salesman patiently answered all my questions, let me see all the cars , gave me and my kid as many test drives as we wanted, agreed in a second to cancel the booking when the large EMI gave me the jitters and didn't push us when finally decided to purchase the beast.

Alturas G4 sold by Genesis Mahindra also were very prompt after a reminder regarding the TD. I booked the Alturas as a replacement for my City Automatic 2009 model which by the way runs very well but intend to cancel now since the present reviews aren't to complimentary .

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th February 2019 at 12:19. Reason: Spacing for better readability. Thanks.
cdrgill is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 08:56   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Lexus ES300h Ownership Review | EDIT: Bagheera celebrates 7 years and 76,000 kms

The evil genius grin of the Lexus frontage has become a twisted smirk

A worthy Dilli driver driving on the wrong side of the road bangs into my parked Lexus and smashes the front grill. That requires some skill and aim. The evil genius grin of the Lexus frontage has become a twisted smirk like when Mohammed Ali smashed George Foreman in Zaire! My harried and panicked driver called. The owner of the offending car sounded like a gentleman who offered to pay - that itself is a surprise in hamari dilli. In Dilli the rule is that the offender will blame the victim - always bat on the front foot. I guess my insurance will pay for it. Hopefully. I told the owner instead of paying me he should donate a tidy amount to a charity for sick children which I will direct him to. Driver dear had left the car in neutral. My car lurched back with such force that the right rear side went and hit some obstruction that has left a gash that runs from right rear door to the end.
V.Narayan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 12:24   #169
BHPian

Quote:
I did mention Xbhp and Mr Narayan to the Lexus executive when he enquired about who has recommended the Lexus.
The poor guy had never heard of XBhp!
Probably because you mentioned the wrong forum

Quote:
I to was in regular street clothes and on a motorcycle. Totally unlike a prospective customer.
When will salesmen learn that some of their biggest sales can come from the most simply dressed people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The evil genius grin of the Lexus frontage has become a twisted smirk

I told the owner instead of paying me he should donate a tidy amount to a charity for sick children which I will direct him to.
You sir, are the classiest person I have never met. Very sad to hear about the damage. I have "owned" a luxury car vicariously thanks to your posts and cannot wait to hear that the car is back in top shape soon!

Quote:
My car lurched back with such force that the right rear side went and hit some obstruction that has left a gash that runs from right rear door to the end.
Wasn't this a good thing? The reason I ask this is that if the car was in park mode and had been forcibly pushed back would the damage have been more mechanical than cosmetic? Not trying to take away from the pain this may have caused you in any way.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th February 2019 at 12:20. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 13:00   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
You sir, are the classiest person I have never met. Very sad to hear about the damage. I have "owned" a luxury car vicariously thanks to your posts and cannot wait to hear that the car is back in top shape soon!
thank you Sir.
Quote:
Wasn't this a good thing? The reason I ask this is that if the car was in park mode and had been forcibly pushed back would the damage have been more mechanical than cosmetic?
You are right. The lurch back dissipated the kinetic energy.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 09:22   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Lexus Gurgaon dealership was shut down by Lexus India for reasons I don't know. The Gurgaon dealership maintained very high standards of customer service, courtesy and responsiveness. Hence it is a loss for us customers that they were shut down. So far so much.

The disappointing and unacceptable part is that Lexus India has not taken the bother to inform customers or guide them on alternatives. That is the least that is expected from a premium brand that sells itself on customer touch. I am more than a little peeved with this. I have written to one PB Venugopal‎, who I'm told is the present Country Head, politely and firmly expressing my views. The email has bounced back stating the recipients mail box is full!

The only ‎folks who continue to support whole heartedly are the employees of the dealership most of whom are loosing their jobs in a few weeks.

I intend to dig my teeth into this. Also wrote this morning to the Japanese I have met. Will update the forum as things develop.
V.Narayan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 12:01   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Lexus Gurgaon dealership was shut down by Lexus India for reasons I don't know. The Gurgaon dealership maintained very high standards of customer service, courtesy and responsiveness. Hence it is a loss for us customers that they were shut down. So far so much.

The disappointing and unacceptable part is that Lexus India has not taken the bother to inform customers or guide them on alternatives. That is the least that is expected from a premium brand that sells itself on customer touch. I am more than a little peeved with this. I have written to one PB Venugopal‎, who I'm told is the present Country Head, politely and firmly expressing my views. The email has bounced back stating the recipients mail box is full!

The only ‎folks who continue to support whole heartedly are the employees of the dealership most of whom are loosing their jobs in a few weeks.

I intend to dig my teeth into this. Also wrote this morning to the Japanese I have met. Will update the forum as things develop.
I discussed the same concern with SA. I was informed that both Lexus Gurgaon and Lexus Delhi will shutdown and will be reopened near Connaught Place.
Dhruv29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 18:04   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The disappointing and unacceptable part is that Lexus India has not taken the bother to inform customers or guide them on alternatives.
That's bad given the low customer base they have at first place. As far as I have seen the working of Lexus, you were getting privileged services because of your relations with Sales team of Gurgaon Lexus and things may not be the same when you deal with others. Let's see how they work out on repairs of your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
I was informed that both Lexus Gurgaon and Lexus Delhi will shutdown and will be reopened near Connaught Place.
Lexus Delhi always used to operate from Janpath. They have a service center at Peeragarhi and will have one more in Gurgaon Sector 14. This is owned by MGF group. But Lexus service at Toyota is just some additional bays and some senior guys with Toyota being trained for Lexus. Frankly, there is not much differentiation between Toyota & Lexus service as they keep good standards for Toyota as well. Maybe an additional waiting area for Lexus customers.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 18:15   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:

A couple of well placed emails have elicited a healthy and prompt response on mail & phone from their National Sales Head and National Customer Service Head within a few hours of my letters being sent. One of them will meet me next week. I am sure we'll resolve this quite happily. I expressed to Lexus India that their lack of communication is not expected from a company of this calibre when electronic communication is so easy. It helps to growl. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. More in a week's time.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 20:48   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Driver dear had left the car in neutral.
Actually consider yourself lucky. If in P you would have almost certainly landed up with a gearbox repair bill also.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 06:06   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Wasn't this a good thing? The reason I ask this is that if the car was in park mode and had been forcibly pushed back would the damage have been more mechanical than cosmetic? Not trying to take away from the pain this may have caused you in any way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Actually consider yourself lucky. If in P you would have almost certainly landed up with a gearbox repair bill also.
I don't think LS has a Gearbox at first place and instead should have a CVT and probably some rubber belts between pulleys

Even in case of a gearbox, it's always recommended to keep car parked with gears. Remember Gears are one of the strongest links and if something tries to push the car with a heavy force, the car might try to get started. On Automatics Gearboxes especially from Germans, these goes to Auto Park mode on their own when you switch off the car and on others, you can normally not lock the car unless it's in Park mode or take off the keys from ignition, so I am not sure how can you park in neutral or maybe I am missing something.

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th February 2019 at 06:09.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 07:50   #177
Senior - BHPian

It would have a parking pawl mechanism within its CVT gearbox (or beltbox :-)) on its output shaft to hold the car from rolling without hand brake engaged.

If the car is in P and the vehicle is hit hard, enough to move it a few feet and the driven wheels roll it could break the parking pawl inside the gearbox.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 08:02   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

I don't think LS has a Gearbox at first place and instead should have a CVT and probably some rubber belts between pulleys

Even in case of a gearbox, it's always recommended to keep car parked with gears. Remember Gears are one of the strongest links and if something tries to push the car with a heavy force, the car might try to get started. On Automatics Gearboxes especially from Germans, these goes to Auto Park mode on their own when you switch off the car and on others, you can normally not lock the car unless it's in Park mode or take off the keys from ignition, so I am not sure how can you park in neutral or maybe I am missing something.
In fact LS uses combination of 4 speed gearbox and a CVT transmission. As CVT gearboxes are not able to handle high power.
A car with an torque converter gearbox car can never be started by giving a normal push as there is no actual physical link between the engine and gearbox. Engine spins the transmission fluid and the force generated by the fluid spins the gearbox. This mechanism does not allow car engine to stall when we come to a halt.
It is recommended to first engage handbrake, and then put the car in "Park" so that the force of a rolling car is not put on small metal parking prawl pin on the flywheel and the engine mountings.
Dhruv29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 10:59   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It would have a parking pawl mechanism within its CVT gearbox (or beltbox)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
In fact LS uses combination of 4 speed gearbox and a CVT transmission. As CVT gearboxes are not able to handle high power.
I think it's different.

Power split device, that's what Toyota calls it. Lexus Hybrid Drive and Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive use the same drivetrain designs, two planetary gearsets linking the engine and two electric motor-generators.

It's not a CVT like the belt and cone designs used on Nissans. Toyota also call their hybrid transmissions eCVTs because they also have variable gear ratios, although the overall designs are completely different.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post10191469

And this Video probably explains in details

Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 12:11   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I think it's different.

Power split device, that's what Toyota calls it. Lexus Hybrid Drive and Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive use the same drivetrain designs, two planetary gearsets linking the engine and two electric motor-generators.

It's not a CVT like the belt and cone designs used on Nissans. Toyota also call their hybrid transmissions eCVTs because they also have variable gear ratios, although the overall designs are completely different.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post10191469

And this Video probably explains in details
That was a really informative video! It’s always nice to know the internal workings of your car

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th February 2019 at 12:47. Reason: video link removed
Dhruv29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks