Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2022, 12:45   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Got the 5th year service done few days ago at 37k kms on the odo.

Hey Tharian, am on the verge of getting my Ecosport 1.5 TDCI remapped by Molf moto and have a few questions as you have been running this map for a while.

- Stage 1 or Stage 1+ --> Is the Stage 1+ map much better and how does it compare on the reliability front ?
- When servicing your car at Ford, does the map get overwritten if a Ford SW update is done ? Does it need a reflash again and does Wolf charge for this ?

Any other feedback regarding the map ? My car has run about 60k and is 4 years old. I have my warranty running till 5 years.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 26th December 2022 at 12:50.
Old 27th December 2022, 21:03   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Hey Tharian, am on the verge of getting my Ecosport 1.5 TDCI remapped by Molf moto and have a few questions as you have been running this map for a while.

- Stage 1 or Stage 1+ --> Is the Stage 1+ map much better and how does it compare on the reliability front ?
- When servicing your car at Ford, does the map get overwritten if a Ford SW update is done ? Does it need a reflash again and does Wolf charge for this ?

Any other feedback regarding the map ? My car has run about 60k and is 4 years old. I have my warranty running till 5 years.
- I think the difference between the two is just an increase in hp/nm figures. Mine I think is a Stage1 and is good in terms of driveability and and power when required. The highlight is that even with a loaded car, it pulls effortlessly when on a incline with just downing a gear to 4th or with even speed, even in 5th.
Reliability has been good and I have had no issues. Fuel efficiency remains the same as stock.
- Service centre over-writing the map is very rare and even if they do, you can check with WM if they will remap it again.

Co-incidentally, I got to drive an Ecosport with similar odo reading as mine (around 42k kms) and noticed the engine was louder and felt harsher than mine. The re-mapped engine on my car was much more free revving.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 09:42   #258
Senior - BHPian

It was a long pending trip to my home state of Kerala that I finally managed to do during the December holidays. Unlike my old Figo which has done multiple Kerala trips, the Aspire had done Calicut, just once in the last 6 years.
I've been wanting to visit Kochi as well which I haven't been to many years as well. So I decided to do a round trip from Bangalore to Calicut to Kochi and back. The only downside was that it was holiday season and I knew traffic was going to be bad.
Bangalore to Calicut is usually around 8 hours and we took a whopping 10.5 hours on the day after Christmas. Traffic and blocks were the norm once when crossing into Kerala. After a days break, we continued to Kochi via the Kodungallur route which was the route I did back in 2009 when on a solo ride to Kanyakumari. The under-construction expressway uses this route. Thankfully this route was not used by many buses and trucks and it was a good drive with traffic nearing Kochi. The roads in Kerala are super smooth too and even with the worn tyres on my car, the tyre road was almost nil.
As I was heading to Fort Kochi, I could have continued on the road heading south instead of heading towards Ernakulam and taken the RoRo ferry to Fort Kochi, which I did anyway later for the sake of experiencing it. We spent a couple of days at Kochi doing ferry rides and visiting a few Biennale venues and the carnival.
It took a while to get out of Fort Kochi due to the heavy rush in the opposite direction when we were heading to Ernakulam to spend a night and then do Ernakulam to Bangalore on the 31st which took another crazy 12 hours.

The car performed as expected with no issues except for a puncture after Salem which I got to know because of the TPMD alert. They were blocks due to flyover work and I was on the shoulder most of the time from where I assume I picked up a nail.
From there on till home, the drive was in the dark and my headlight focus although wasn't right, was good enough to manage. New Years' eve traffic in Bangalore started from Attibelle toll and was made worse because of the E-city flyover closure. A very stupid decision by the cops.

The total distance covered was around 1200 kms. I couldn't get the exact figure since the trip meter was reset when the instrument cluster fuse acted up again and I had to reseat it.
Fuel efficiency was 20 kmpl and speeds of 90-100 kph. I did rev the engine in lower gears out of frustration in traffic a few times which would have reduced it further and not to forget the innumerable blocks all through the trip.
Although the tyres are due for a change and have become noisy and rough surfaces, the grip is still good when braking hard.
The odo crossed 41k kms when I took it onto the RoRo ferry between Fort Kochi and Vypin. Something to remember.

A famous temple and the Matancharry Palace share the same compound at Fort Kochi. These elephants were parading from one temple to another.
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-77a58e21ef034cdbb4f0f9505ffa85e4.jpeg

Pictures taken from the ferry ride.
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-b72033e0f9484972a92d0645155d3299.jpeg
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-1f8b1ae83cdc459e9b0f46cb420aec2b.jpeg
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-36649be1dddc46b6a463a33b3dc71137.jpeg
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-a7042881a23c40c195b965471168653b.jpeg
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-ce20bf31c90f434dba5946cc37bc69f0.jpeg
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-90773ac33235496e8c62591f083fb6ee.jpeg
41k kms hit on the ferry!
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-887d29fe1c36454d9894488a62a207df.jpeg
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-8b8ad9730b764c75a6240bef2792dd3a.jpeg
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-9e9a2a22c4ba4532908809b5a5e6c00a.jpeg

A family friendly toddy shop in south Ernakulam. Must visit.
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-b9693bc45f3d48a2a0ceec117e7bbfcc.jpeg

A stop over at Thrissur on the return leg of the trip.
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-789a500c556f4bb18f9ef4e7873f01ba.jpeg

The puncture I got just before Thoppur and thankfully before dark. The tyre shop didn't have a matching wheel spanner and it kept slipping on the bolts when the power tool was used. Thankfully I had the stock wheel spanner which hadn't been touched since the car was purchased.
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-fd346e4d6c564694b4d94d24b53efe67.jpeg

Last edited by tharian : 4th January 2023 at 09:56.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 19:33   #259
Senior - BHPian

Had to do a one day drive to Gundlepet and back yesterday. The onward journey was quick while the return was stuck at 90 kmh on the Mysore - Bangalore expressway since I got another puncture on the same tyre as on the last trip and I used the space saver tyre which was limited to 80 kmh. It was a 175/65 R14 Goodyear tyre which I had never used till date.
Thanks to the Sensairy tyre monitor, or I wouldn't have realized the tyre was loosing pressure until it was very low.

Got the punctured tyre fixed today and the thanks to a faulty pressure guage at the puncture shop, the psi was 61 after it was fitted back! Again thanks to the TPMS, I reduced the pressure to the required psi.
Looks like the tyres are picking up punctures quickly now as they are worn. I am planning on getting new shoes once I hit 45k. The car has crossed 42k kms now.

A picture showing the difference between the 175 and 195 section tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-21f19f78417044b5849dc56740eb0742.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 15th January 2023 at 19:34.
Old 15th January 2023, 23:35   #260

Hi Tharian, just finished reading this thread from the beginning till now. Have to say, really well documented 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽 and enjoyed reading it. Just curious if the oil accumulation is still present in your car in the air inlet hose after the egr delete. I own an ecosport diesel 2019, it has done 32k kms and it has oil accumulating in the air inlet hose.
Corvalis18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 07:22   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvalis18 View Post
Hi Tharian, just finished reading this thread from the beginning till now. Have to say, really well documented 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽 and enjoyed reading it. Just curious if the oil accumulation is still present in your car in the air inlet hose after the egr delete. I own an ecosport diesel 2019, it has done 32k kms and it has oil accumulating in the air inlet hose.
Thank you.

I haven't checked in a while regarding the oil in the intake, but it will be there since I haven't done anything regarding the oil catch can that could be fitted to prevent that.
EGR delete doesn't have anything to do with the oil, just that oil and exhaust mixed will clog the intake over time. In my car, it is just oil, so that will prevent the clogging to an extent.
This engine is designed such that there will be oil in the intake starting from before the turbo and is normal because of the cranckcase venting into the intake between the air filter and turbo.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 10:52   #262
Senior - BHPian

Had a very spirited drive to Mysore a couple of days ago. With the expressway between Bangalore and Mysore 90% done, even with sedate driving, one can cover the distance in a couple of hours.
This was the third onward drive to Mysore in the last month and with the secret bypass for Mandya town mentioned in the route thread, one can save another 15-20 minutes by avoiding the traffic in Mandya town. I left around 730am and when nearing Town Hall, I realized I had forgotten something and headed back home since traffic was still low, I lost half hour which I wanted to make up since I had to pick my mother from Gundlepet by 1130 am. By the time I left home again, it was almost 815 am and by then traffic had increased a bit by the time I reached NICE road-Mysore road junction, it was 9 am, almost 45 minutes late from the original time I left home. I had 2 to 2.5 hours to reach Gundlepet. It wasn't critical though, but at the same time, I didn't want to keep people waiting since they have to head back to Calicut after dropping my mother off.
I did some un-mentionable speeds up to Mandya bypass where I reached around 930am. Traffic was moderate but as expected, they were clusters of slow vehicles in the fast lane and faster vehicles having to overtake on the left. One positive I noticed was that two/three wheelers and tractor-trailers seem to be using the old Mysore road and the expressway was mainly filled with private cars and cabs.
The car performed just like how I wanted it to and even after half hour of some spirited driving, there was no feeling of lack of power, no visible smoke on hard throttling, and no unwanted noise. In fact, it had a nice bass note when in high revs and when going through the gears. The fun part was knowing the engine had enough power to make an overtake without having to think twice. The wide 6 lane road helped as well.
The brake fade was there as usual but I didn't have to do any hard braking this time since most of the cars were already at good speeds on the expressway and I had to only maneuver around them. Post Mandya, I took it easy since I realized I had made up half hour in the process of that fast drive between NICE road junction and Mandya bypass and also burnt through a quarter tank of diesel by the time I reached Gundlepet. The road between Mysore and Gundlepet is single lane, but well-paved road and an enjoyable stretch when traffic is low. I reached Gundlepet by 1115 am which was around the same time I reached last weekend after leaving home at 730am.

The return was a sedate drive all the way and I wanted to make up for the high fuel consumption from the onward journey. I tanked up a little before Mysore and the fuel efficiency including the previous trip to Gundlepet last weekend, was 20 kmpl.
On the Mysore-Bangalore stretch, I was doing a steady 100 kmph and noticed that the steering wheel was sticky when on a slight turn doing those speeds. This was only the right-hand curves where I had to turn just a couple of degrees and there was some resistance for the wheel to come back to center and when it did, it was with some effort like the steering wheel had to pass over a notch. This was the first time I am experiencing this and have to bring it up in the next service due in March-April. It wasn't felt is slow speeds and in the city traffic. Not sure if it is because of the worn tyres as well. The tyres will be replaced soon since the Alnac 4G's had become very noisy and rough during the trips. The grip and handling remain good.

The car has run 42,500 kms now.

Last edited by tharian : 23rd January 2023 at 10:57.
Old 4th February 2023, 21:21   #263
BHPian

Quote:
On the Mysore-Bangalore stretch, I was doing a steady 100 kmph
I do not know how you manage this, but whenever i am on the open road i lose control of my right foot. Especially after the stage 1+ remap, i have not seen a 20kmpl mileage thanks to the heavy footed driving.

Quote:
Not sure if it is because of the worn tyres as well. The tyres will be replaced soon since the Alnac 4G's had become very noisy and rough during the trips. The grip and handling remain good.
The car has run 42,500 kms now.
I am on the same boat here , going to upgrade the alloys to 15" after 7 years on stock alloys. As for the tyres i am a bit undecided between Continental and Yoko S drives in 195/55. Do you have a preference?
Old 5th February 2023, 07:10   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
I do not know how you manage this, but whenever i am on the open road i lose control of my right foot. Especially after the stage 1+ remap, i have not seen a 20kmpl mileage thanks to the heavy footed driving.

I am on the same boat here , going to upgrade the alloys to 15" after 7 years on stock alloys. As for the tyres i am a bit undecided between Continental and Yoko S drives in 195/55. Do you have a preference?
What I normally do on a trip is if I drive at higher rpm one way, the other way I take it easy. This is only so that the overall fuel expense for that trip is not high and at the same time I would have enjoyed the drive.

As for the tyres, my choice would be the Continental. When I am changing my tyres sometime this year, it will be either Conti or MRF Perfinza.
Old 5th February 2023, 16:57   #265
BHPian

Quote:
What I normally do on a trip is if I drive at higher rpm one way, the other way I take it easy. This is only so that the overall fuel expense for that trip is not high and at the same time I would have enjoyed the drive.
Yeah well i just need to develop that habit i suppose. Driving in the city most of the days kind of gets be hyped for the highway drives and leads to heavy footed driving. Thanks for the advice.
Quote:
As for the tyres, my choice would be the Continental. When I am changing my tyres sometime this year, it will be either Conti or MRF Perfinza.
MRF perfinza seems have some good feedback on the forum, might look at it.
Sticking to the same tyre size? or an upsize to 195/60?
I need to procure new 15" alloys, might just try and procure the Figo S alloys.
Old 8th February 2023, 12:18   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post

MRF perfinza seems have some good feedback on the forum, might look at it.
Sticking to the same tyre size? or an upsize to 195/60?
I need to procure new 15" alloys, might just try and procure the Figo S alloys.
MRF is available only in 195/60, so that will increase the ground clearance a bit too. I am not sure if the Conti has 195/55 size. If nothing is available in the size and brand I want, I will stick to the Alnac 4g which are good underrated tyres.

Last edited by tharian : 8th February 2023 at 12:19.
Old 18th March 2023, 18:19   #267
Senior - BHPian

Car has run 42,700 kms. Got the 6th year service done and a Wolf Moto map update done as well.
I had been giving the car for annual service to Cauvery Ford A.S.S since 2020 due to proximity after the Metro Ford A.S.S closed few years ago. The first service was good since they had just opened the centre at Hennur. The last two ones were just oil change and I didn't feel like giving it there again for some reason. I was looking at non Ford places and had zeroed in on Engineering Exponants, but the distance was a problem and obviously there is no pick up/drop available.
Thankfully a fellow member and Aspire owner suggested PPS Ford at Lalbagh and it turned our to be a good experience. The oil was changed with semi synthetic oil since they don't allow customer provided oil. I was fine with that since the service intervals for me comes upto only 5-6k kms every year. I added the usual oil additive as well (Abro oil treatment).
The reverse camera hasn't been working for a while and that needs replacement which isn't available with them. So I decided to put the original IRVM back since that has the flip for anti-glare.
Headlamp levelling was not right and that was fixed as well except that now the dim is at the level of bright and bright is good for heavy vehicles. Works okay since I don't do much night driving.

4th Re-map
I got news from a fellow member that there is an update available for my existing map at EE. I was happy with the current map although it has been around 4 years now since the last map update was done. I checked with EE and the drive-ability of the new map was same except that it had more power. On the drive back home, I could easily make out the difference and the engine is much eager now. With the fresh oil, the engine NVH is good too and it felt it got better with the updated map. The engine felt kind of restricted too unless I accelerate more and then it moves. This I guess is because of the fresh oil. I will need to do a long drive to feel the updates. The numbers are 134/294 from 125/250 at the crank.

After I get the tyres replaced since they are almost end of life, the car is then good to go for another 4-5 years.
tharian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 19:18   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Car has run 42,700 kms. Got the 6th year service done and a Wolf Moto map update done as well.
I had been giving the car for annual service to Cauvery Ford A.S.S since 2020 due to proximity after the Metro Ford A.S.S closed few years ago. The first service was good since they had just opened the centre at Hennur. The last two ones were just oil change and I didn't feel like giving it there again for some reason. I was looking at non Ford places and had zeroed in on Engineering Exponants, but the distance was a problem and obviously there is no pick up/drop available.
Thankfully a fellow member and Aspire owner suggested PPS Ford at Lalbagh and it turned our to be a good experience. The oil was changed with semi synthetic oil since they don't allow customer provided oil. I was fine with that since the service intervals for me comes upto only 5-6k kms every year. I added the usual oil additive as well (Abro oil treatment).
The reverse camera hasn't been working for a while and that needs replacement which isn't available with them. So I decided to put the original IRVM back since that has the flip for anti-glare.
Headlamp levelling was not right and that was fixed as well except that now the dim is at the level of bright and bright is good for heavy vehicles. Works okay since I don't do much night driving.

4th Re-map
I got news from a fellow member that there is an update available for my existing map at EE. I was happy with the current map although it has been around 4 years now since the last map update was done. I checked with EE and the drive-ability of the new map was same except that it had more power. On the drive back home, I could easily make out the difference and the engine is much eager now. With the fresh oil, the engine NVH is good too and it felt it got better with the updated map. The engine felt kind of restricted too unless I accelerate more and then it moves. This I guess is because of the fresh oil. I will need to do a long drive to feel the updates. The numbers are 134/294 from 125/250 at the crank.

After I get the tyres replaced since they are almost end of life, the car is then good to go for another 4-5 years.
Hey,

Concerning this new map, what MAF values are you getting now?
Old 19th March 2023, 12:53   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Hey,

Concerning this new map, what MAF values are you getting now?
It is 8.3 g/s in idle. Need to check when driven. I don't think that will change much because of the stock intake.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 14:17   #270
BHPian

Quote:
It is 8.3 g/s in idle. Need to check when driven. I don't think that will change much because of the stock intake.
Please let me know about the peak value.

Most Viewed