Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2017, 11:16   #31
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Re: It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Sunnyboi is the mechanic himself
Lol sorry my bad...I read it too quickly I guess.

I did not have good experience with SVR motors here in Bangalore and hence the question.
Old 21st February 2017, 11:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Lol sorry my bad...I read it too quickly I guess.

I did not have good experience with SVR motors here in Bangalore and hence the question.
I sold my Cedia to Sunnyboi thanks to the last service SVR experience . More than their attitude, its the lack of spare parts which is an issue.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 11:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

EVer sicne I put on the short shifter, the shifts had become a bit too heavy and I always wanted a weighted gear knob to make it easier.

Well finally its done!

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170225_211608001.jpg

It weighs 920 grams and its really dense. Perfect for my application.

Another round of polish and clear coat to seal the finish

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170226_091351001.jpg

Someone wasn't happy with greece's economy collapse

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170226_095253001.jpg

Installed!

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170226_102155001.jpg

The new knob is a tad shorter than the OEM knob so the height is still the same.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170226_103226001.jpg

A video of the shifter+knob in action

SunnyBoi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 12:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

^Awesome
BTW: Do you know where I can get the leather of my gear knob replaced? It is badly worn out.

Secondly, I noticed that my rear mudflaps have become loose from below - seems to have torn a bit.
Are there any good after market sources for these?

I also need some clip which can hold the gray 'card-board/ plastic' which is inside the boot. Any tips on where I could source such clips.
It seems these two things are making a noise when going over speed breakers.
Old 28th February 2017, 12:48   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
It weighs 920 grams and its really dense. Perfect for my application.
Sunny, what is the knob machined out of?
Old 28th February 2017, 12:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
BTW: Do you know where I can get the leather of my gear knob replaced? It is badly worn out.
I dont know who can do it in Pune but I know a place in Bangalore to get it done :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post3794049

Quote:
Secondly, I noticed that my rear mudflaps have become loose from below - seems to have torn a bit.
Are there any good after market sources for these?
I don't use mudflaps and the Cedia doesn't need one - as long as you have 195 tyres, mud wont sling out anyway.

Quote:
I also need some clip which can hold the gray 'card-board/ plastic' which is inside the boot. Any tips on where I could source such clips.
It seems these two things are making a noise when going over speed breakers.
Get the gray maruti clips, don't know what the exact name of the clips to be said at part shops but here is a pic :

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20160402_134420001.jpg

part number for reference. I bought a 50 pack and its quite useful. Its sold for 3rs a piece outside.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20160416_175922001.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Sunny, what is the knob machined out of?
Iron? Steel? I don't know. I got a 2inch dia, 4 inch long metal rod and got it machined. I remember paying around 100rs for it.

It's so dense that the guy who machined it was insisting it weighed over 1.5KG. He was a bit disappointed with the final weight however I was happy it was a wee less than 1KG.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 28th February 2017 at 12:56.
Old 18th March 2017, 22:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
I tried JC road at Bangalore also. could not find anything that fits cedia properly.
Did you try the omni expansion tank? It may not look pretty or fit well, but it will function properly, probably as well as the original.

In the meanwhile, got a few suspension bushes, I'll change them soon to get rid of the random noises from the suspension.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170309_073755001.jpg

I'm suddenly loving night drives, the lighting setup on my car is beyond awesome the fog light projectors need alignment. I'm taking off the front bumper tomorrow for repairs, hopefully will sort it out!

SunnyBoi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 01:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

So the week started with me fixing my 4 channel amp! One channel had died, thankfully it was a simple fix.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170318_131749001.jpg

Next were the front bumper skirts. I wanted them repaired for good this week, once this is done, I can get the bumper/skirts painted and the car will look much better.

The skirts are held with 15 bolts!! 15!! Out of which, only one was intact on my skirt. Sigh. There were a few wooden screws drilled in and lots of winding wires during a previous repair job done by SVR on the car

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170319_080743.jpg

New bolts tacked in. One bolt in the pic fell off, oh well. You can see the SVR buggers fixed the crack on the left with what looked like stapling using a bent nail :@ they didnt even bother fixing the middle crack!

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170319_090800001.jpg

All done! Every last crack in the skirt fixed as well.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170319_185122001.jpg

How did I know to repair I had my own intact front bumper skirt as reference

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170320_102021001.jpg

Skirt fixed back to the bumper with new bolts and shiny nuts hehe.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170320_180245001.jpg

There are two tabs on the sides of every bumper that holds them in place. All 4; two on each side were missing on my bumpers so I fabricated new ones in their place.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170321_100014001.jpg

Looks like I have aliens growing on the bumper screws!

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170321_132616001.jpg

Bumper installed. Skirt intact; no gap between the headlight and bumper now

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170321_133611001.jpg

Absolutely even lines with no sag on the sides as well! Woohoo! Job well done I reckon. Well, there is a bit of gap at the end on passenger side but that's an easy fix I'll do next time I take off the bumpers.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170321_145047001.jpg

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170321_145059001.jpg

I finally headed to Blackworks today for changing the engine mount as well as replacing the sway bar links; parts were shown in the before post.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170328_131121001.jpg

The front sway bar links were stuck very badly. They had to be grinded out.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170328_163411001.jpg

Venkat had convinced me to get the new engine mount filled. So they were filled three days back and installed today. The front rollover mount had also degraded but he did a reliable fix. Sway bar links were replaced and we went on a test drive.

The car was so silent over humps and bad roads! There was one squeak coming from the right rear strut which I probably will work on fixing soon. My clutch had some judder which I assumed was from the normal wear and tear. But now its all but vanished! Turns out the bad engine mounts were indeed the culprit and there is no judder whatsoever now.

As per Venkat's advice, I'll be replacing the lower arm bushes as well, one of them had a small crack. I already have new lower arm ball joints, just need to source a pair of lower arm bushes from the oosa!

Parting shot in the evening, Huge thumbs up for Blackworks from me!

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170328_21091202.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Can someone pls post a snap of coolant tank for my reference for some aftermarket fit?
Part number for your reference is MR450237. Couple of images taken from the internet :

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-5b722a6s960.jpg

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-1489483646431_default.jpg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 29th March 2017 at 01:23.
SunnyBoi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 00:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

During my last Visit at Blackworks, it was pointed out the the front brake pads were wearing thin and pads might need changing soon. Bit disappointed with their life as its has only been 16K KMs with the brembo red pads.

Oh well, time for new pads

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-01.jpg

The bulb for the hazard button had fused. Got a new OEM bub and changed it, the process was a pain in the backside. Just see how tiny these bulbs are

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-02.jpg

It was time for an interior clean! Front seats, carpets etc were thoroughly cleaned

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-03.jpg

Same treatment for the rear

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-04.jpg

Put in new Michelin mats and finally fixed the steel sil plates. Lovely result.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-05.jpg

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-06.jpg

Gave the car a much needed wash. This is how it looked afterwards

Touched up the front and rear bumpers, covered all paint chip damage.

Before

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-07.jpg

After

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-08.jpg

The car looked smart post the wash and touch up!

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-09.jpg

My joy was short lived; 45 minutes after this picture was clicked, an idiot two wheeler rear ended me damaging the bumper and putting new scratches I feel so bad I dont want to take pictures. Looks pretty bad with the bumper sagging a lot. Hopefully I should repair the bumper tomorrow.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 22nd April 2017 at 00:49.
SunnyBoi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 21:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Since couple of days, there was a very strong smell of something dead coming through the AC, it suddenly became unbearable during yesterday's drive.

Oh well, the bumper repair has to wait. This is a much higher priority to fix.

First step was to check the pollen filter. Nothing dead here. The good thing about the filter is that all the twigs leaves, petals etc will get collected here and wont jam the blower motor or the evaporator. I've ordered a replacement, should be here in 2 weeks.

Next step was remove the blower motor and the parts around the AC evaporator for a better access inside. ECU had to be removed too.

Oh man, the evaporator was clogged. Below is just a sample on how bad it was inside.

All that to clean just this tiny bit

Soon my clean water bucket looked like this

Work in progress

At this point I abandoned the brush - mop with microfiber technique because it was too slow. I started flushing both heater core and evaporator with medium pressurised water.Spray chemicals, let it sit for a while and flush with water. This method started working well, even the heater core got cleaned. Dirty water would just come out of the AC drain pipe.

BLower motor was cleaned as well

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-10.jpg

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-11.jpg

This was how it looked when I stopped. The still-dirty looking portions are areas where my hands/brushes wouldn't go. Oh well, all the mud and crud were gone, few twigs are visible since I couldnt get access to them to remove it.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-12.jpg

I filled the cavity with AC cleaning foam, just because I had a full can and assembled back everything. The AC foam didnt do much in cleaning the evaporator though, it worked well to flush out all the dirt and debris sitting in the vents.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-13.jpg

Started the car, put heater on highest, blower to max and let it sit idle with all windows and doors closed for a good 15 minutes. Finally the car went back to smelling like nothing. Result!
SunnyBoi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 10:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Started the car, put heater on highest, blower to max and let it sit idle with all windows and doors closed for a good 15 minutes. Finally the car went back to smelling like nothing. Result!
So yesterday took out the car and one difference was very evident. The AC is much more effective! Just speed 1 was enough to chill me in the afternoon. I was contemplating on getting the AC gas topped up but it seems there is no need!

After many months of due diligence, I am happy to say my car is now running the ECU from an Evo

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-img_20170425_084937.jpg

No check engine lights too hehe, sorry for the weird laugh, couldn't contain my excitement

Need to install the AEM wideband this week, connect it to the rear O2 sensor and start data logging, hopefully I can get a few more ponies above the 120hp map I'm running now. This ECU will help massively once the car starts to make braaaap stututu noises

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 25th April 2017 at 10:08.
Old 26th April 2017, 19:20   #42
BANNED

Quote:
So yesterday took out the car and one difference was very evident. The AC is much more effective! Just speed 1 was enough to chill me in the afternoon. I was contemplating on getting the AC gas topped up but it seems there is no need!

After many months of due diligence, I am happy to say my car is now running the ECU from an Evo

Attachment 1632773

No check engine lights too hehe, sorry for the weird laugh, couldn't contain my excitement

Need to install the AEM wideband this week, connect it to the rear O2 sensor and start data logging, hopefully I can get a few more ponies above the 120hp map I'm running now. This ECU will help massively once the car starts to make braaaap stututu noises
Could you explain more on the ecu mod?
Are you running an evo ecu now?, if so which generation. Since lancer evolution comes turbocharger from factory, the same can instal on your engine?
Is there any hardware difference between cedia and evo ecu?
BTW, I dont own a cedia, but a sonata gold with a 4g63 clone. Planning to do some mods in the future.
Thanks.
Old 26th April 2017, 20:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Are you running an evo ecu now?
Yes

Quote:
Since lancer evolution comes turbocharger from factory, the same can instal on your engine?
Yes,needs minor mods but they're pretty much a bolt on to our engines

Quote:
Is there any hardware difference between cedia and evo ecu?
Yes, lots. I'm using a modified ROM which offers launch control, alternate maps, flash CEL on knock, valet mode and tons of other features too.

Here'a s a picture of the sample ignition map. Just check out the difference in size for the maps, the table above is similar to what I'm running whereas the stock lancer table is below.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-map-translated.jpg

Quote:
BTW, I dont own a cedia, but a sonata gold with a 4g63 clone. Planning to do some mods in the future.
Thanks.
You should visit DSM forums, they have lot more info on 4G63 engines in Hyundais too.

My guru and hero Jafro has a Hyundai Elantra with a 4G63 and a turbo in it. Watch these videos to get a good idea.

SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 20:34   #44
BANNED

Quote:

You should visit DSM forums, they have lot more info on 4G63 engines in Hyundais too.

My guru and hero Jafro has a Hyundai Elantra with a 4G63 and a turbo in it. Watch these videos to get a good idea.

I am already a subscriber of his channel and watched almost all his videos. The way he work is just amazing.
dracul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 16:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am already a subscriber of his channel and watched almost all his videos. The way he work is just amazing.
One of these days, I'll buy an engine, tear it down and build it back up exactly like Jafro would. Honestly I haven't seen anyone go to such lengths just to blueprint an engine and take so many measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi
My joy was short lived; 45 minutes after this picture was clicked, an idiot two wheeler rear ended me damaging the bumper and putting new scratches I feel so bad I dont want to take pictures. Looks pretty bad with the bumper sagging a lot. Hopefully I should repair the bumper tomorrow.
So here's how it looks

The bumper is held on to splash sheilds on the edges with these square clips. These clips are rarer than hen's teeth; I got my car with only one clip intact. Fortunately I got 3 more and have a full set

Unfortunately the clips on the left were stuck and I was in no mood to break any of these. The splash sheild is held tot he chassis by one screw and a clip. The clip came off easily, the wheels had to be taken off to remove the screw. My jack had problems and couldn't use it so somehow managed to remove the screw. It took me about an hour with a spanner to carefully unscrew the damn thing and voila, the bumper is out

First impressions, apart from broken tabs nothing seems wrong, except for this bolt

Taking out the bumper skirts and this happens

Apparently because the bumper was sagging, the exhaust gases were on a collision course with the skirt, they burnt away the plastic and weakened the whole area.You can see a huge chunk of plastic (curved area) is missing.

I had to use my ladder and a few props to make a jig and hold the bumper in the exact alignment while I work on fixing it

After couple of hours

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-10.jpg

Repaired area...can see the hole left behind with skirt burning away

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-11.jpg

Next was to tackle a broken bolt whose head sheared off when I tried replacing a year ago..Since then the bumper had always been sagging a bit on one side. Today's the day to finally fix it. Idea is to drill out the bolt and tap new threads in

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-12.jpg

Murphy's law kicks in

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-13.jpg

Two drill bits snapped. One piece got stuck in the hole and too me forever to take it out. When the time to tap came on, one HSS tap broke :\ thankfully had a spare and was able to put new threads

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-14.jpg

Time to give the tailpipe and muffler a cleanup. Before

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-15.jpg

After

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-16.jpg

The splash sheild stuck to the bumper was broken and needed repair. But the clips wouldn't budge even with WD40 sprayed on them.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-17.jpg

Next day I tried again and the clips came out! Instead of repairs I just replaced it with a new one

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-18.jpg

Why were they stuck? It had years of mud and sand wedged in its grooves. Once they were out, I cleaned them thoroughly before putting them back. Clean V/s Dirty :

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-19.jpg

Everything fixed, bumper ready to go back!

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-20.jpg

End result

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-21.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with the outcome. The bumper is still sagging a bit going by the gap below the tail lamps. Even the side skirts need more work to make them sit flush. Oh well I'll tear down sometime after couple of months and fix them. Its good enough for now; there is zero flex on the bumper and all mounts are super solid!

Closeup of the repair area. I forgot to mask the painted area, some reason got on it and left a slightly dulled finish its fixable though avoidable in the first place.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-22.jpg

There was still the pesky screw for each of the splash sheids that needed fixing I had enough headaches for the last two days. I borrowed a hydraulic jack from my mechanic and told myself I'll take off the wheels and fix it the next day.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 29th April 2017 at 16:21.
SunnyBoi is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks