Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2017, 12:53   #91
BHPian

Re: Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Interesting discussion happening above about lights!

On the topic of lights, my tail lamp cluster had been acting up. Brake light wouldn't come on as well as reverse lamps.
This is the go to thread for Cedia!

The indicator and headlights don't engage every time I switch them on using the right stalk. Called up the Mitsubishi workshop and the problem is that of the combination switch. Cost 7753. Have asked them to get it. Will take a month to procure. Somehow seems more comfortable using the official route for it

Now the second hygiene issue is that some retard must have pulled out the grill of the car, the one which is in front of the co-passenger. The cost of that 1/2 grill is 6018 bucks. Atrocious pricing. And it will be in black which I will need to get painted Red to match the colour of the car.

My question therefore is-- is there anyplace else where I can source the Cedia grill from. I don't think it makes sense to pay 6 grand for it using the official route for parts for this specific item.
Old 12th September 2017, 14:57   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Now the second hygiene issue is that some retard must have pulled out the grill of the car, the one which is in front of the co-passenger. The cost of that 1/2 grill is 6018 bucks. Atrocious pricing. And it will be in black which I will need to get painted Red to match the colour of the car.

My question therefore is-- is there anyplace else where I can source the Cedia grill from. I don't think it makes sense to pay 6 grand for it using the official route for parts for this specific item.
Locally, I saw one site selling grills, made by some chinese company (dongfeng dongjing something) for 3250. I cannot recall details, which site etc.

In USA, you can get aftermarket grills for 18-19$ a side. OEM grill the cheapest I could find was 60$+ Shipping. Amayama has it for 70$ + shipping + customs.

6000 for OEM grills from showroom doesnt sound like a bad deal at all. Or you can put some sort of plastic grill stuff like I did before.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-000.jpg

Part numbers are MN161113 and MN161114 for left and right respectively.

On the topic of wipers, its sad to see bosch and hella all get wiper sizes wrong for our cars.

As per bosch catalog :

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-00.jpg

In reality, you need 24/18 wipers. Or 24/19.

Even with 24/18, There was a small triangle left out between the blades that would irritate me every time I used the wipers.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-01.jpg

Used scales and apiece of cable tie to check what size wipers will I need to ensure no triangle.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-02.jpg

Turns out I need 26/18. I wanted to push my luck and see if 26/19 would work. I don't want to buy expensive wipers like Clear Advantage without knowing for sure they'd work or not - solution came with Amazon; there was a sale on wipers that day, frameless 26/19 wipers for XUV5OO were Rs 184 shipped!

Couple of days later I get a huge box

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-03.jpg

Full of air?

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-04.jpg

Oh there they are!

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-05.jpg

First tried just the driver side wiper. This is how it looks with 26/18. Looks like it might get the job done.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-06.jpg

What about 26/19?

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-07.jpg

Does it work? Oh yeah! No more irritating triangle!

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-08.jpg

I'll keep these cheap wipers till they start to streak. Once they do, will switch to Bosch Clear Advantages of the same size.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 12th September 2017 at 15:10.
SunnyBoi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 15:07   #93
BHPian

Thanks for a quick revert. Shall look for ones in the US. Else, grudgingly go for OEM grill

Last edited by maven : 12th September 2017 at 15:08. Reason: Spell check
Old 14th September 2017, 00:29   #94
BHPian

Re: It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!

Quote:

I'm suddenly loving night drives, the lighting setup on my car is beyond awesome the fog light projectors need alignment. I'm taking off the front bumper tomorrow for repairs, hopefully will sort it out!
Hey SunnyBoi, hope you don't mind this late comment. Saw the video only today and the engine roar on that overtake at the end, is just mesmerising! The rise to the crescendo, Oh what a rush!

Also, which song is that? Was just as mesmerising!

That's quite a hands-on project you've undertaken. Kudos to you! Reading your thread makes me want to open up the hood of my car and just do SOME or the other "tinkering".

Last edited by theMAG : 22nd September 2017 at 07:00. Reason: Trimming quoted post in the best interests of readability.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 00:39   #95
Senior - BHPian

Re: It's White, it's Sports and it's a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4 lakh km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Also, which song is that? Was just as mesmerising!
Here you go!

SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 12:50   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In reality, you need 24/18 wipers. Or 24/19.

Even with 24/18, There was a small triangle left out between the blades that would irritate me every time I used the wipers.

What about 26/19?

Attachment 1675612

Does it work? Oh yeah! No more irritating triangle!

I'll keep these cheap wipers till they start to streak. Once they do, will switch to Bosch Clear Advantages of the same size.
26/19 look too big for this car.

These wipers being frame less stick out a bit compared to regular wipers.
The plastic caps at the end of the blades make them slightly longer. This slight 1/4"of added length has the ends of the 2 blades sometimes coming in contact with each other.

When I tried the same thing 1 of the wiper broke off!

21/19 is the stock wiper size that came from the factory. The Stock wipers are made by Nippon- NWB Branded wipers.
Old 22nd September 2017, 00:36   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
26/19 look too big for this car.

These wipers being frame less stick out a bit compared to regular wipers.
The plastic caps at the end of the blades make them slightly longer. This slight 1/4"of added length has the ends of the 2 blades sometimes coming in contact with each other.

When I tried the same thing 1 of the wiper broke off!
You need to adjust your wiper arms so they dont clash. I did mine when I had taken apart the wipers and the cowl for cleaning. I've had zero problems with the 26/19 setup and I will go for the same for my next wiper change.

Just look at the area that gets cleaned by these wipers - Its a huge huge improvement.

Anyways, since my backup light switch was busted, I still wanted my rear camera to work.This means I have to put a switch - but where?

I was looking around my garage for inspiration when I found the piece of plastic leftover from my under dash electricals panel. Hmmm I can work with this..

30 minutes later I formed the plastic piece into a box and marked holes for switches

Switches added.One switch is for the rear camera and the second is for laptop charger.

Fixed the panel on the center console. Doesnt look great but not bad for a first try at forming plastic. This is anyways temporary - I expect better panel and lot more switches/buttons with an Arduino in the car later on

Does it work? YES!

Few days before an interesting car showed up and stole my parking spot

Signing off for now!

SunnyBoi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 20:01   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go!
A&B are simply one of the best discoveries I made in the EDM genre (check their Anjunabeats and Anjunadeep compilations) but their Acoustic and Acoustic II albums are beautiful acoustic versions of their EDM tracks. If you like Alan Parsons Project you'll love this stuff.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 08:57   #99
Senior - BHPian

I finally got off my lazy backside and swapped bulbs in the headlights with a new pair. With these, I have all six projectors working! woohoo!

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-six-projectors.jpeg

Here's a video of the lights in action

SunnyBoi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 20:36   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I finally got off my lazy backside and swapped bulbs in the headlights with a new pair. With these, I have all six projectors working! woohoo!

Sunnyboi, are you using your projectors with HIDs or LED bulbs?
Old 28th September 2017, 21:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Sunnyboi, are you using your projectors with HIDs or LED bulbs?
All my projectors have 4300K HIDs. The aux projectors and main headlight ones have 35W bulbs but powered with a 50W ballast. This pulls down the kelvin rating to around 4100K and I get the exact same shade of yellow as with halogen bulbs.

The fog projectors on the other hand have a 35W ballast and they appear a tiny bit whiter.

The car has got a nice upgrade - I haven't seen this mod done on any cedia or lancer anywhere on the internet. I love it! details later - here is a teaser

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-cop.jpeg
SunnyBoi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 23:25   #102
Senior - BHPian

I have been looking at a Coil On Plug ignition upgrade for my car for quite a while now. There are some vendors in USA who offer COP Upgrade kits for Evo 8/9 for around 450$ (!!!). I haven't seen anyone do a COP ignition for a lancer/cedia till now, I guess I'm sort of venturing into unknown territory!

Since I'm a cheapskate, I sourced all the required bits from different vendors and reduced the cost much below 450$. Is the upgrade worth it? I don't know as of now.

So the D Day arrived and I got the new coils! I tried them on immediately and I saw a problem - coils for Cylinders 2 and 4 would not sit flush since brackets for stock coils were fouling.

Mark the extra metal to be cut

Cuts done, Coils sit flush! Woohoo!

New connectors. No jugaads for me. Thanks to Venkat for getting these for me.

Harness for plugs done.

Everything fit and ready to fire up

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-05_1.jpg

I crank the car and it starts! All 4 cylinders seem to be firing! My joy was short lived though. Just 4 seconds, I see a CEL on the dash and the engine dies. Subsequent cranking doesn't not fire the engine.

I've had this situation before when playing with different ECUs. I connected the laptop and confirmed my worst fears - I have a P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected CEL which kills all spark to the engine. I cleared the code, start the car and it starts up. Everything sounds fine but still 4 seconds later I get the CEL and the engine shuts down.

This is the worst CEL for any Mitsubishi car - look around the internet and there is almost no solution for this problem.

Luckily I faced this problem before and I know a workaround. I have to switch ECUs to the Evo. Its just not possible to run a COP setup with an Indian ECU.

With the ECU swapped, car started up with no CEL!. Took it around the block and it did not give any errors.

Oh man, the improvement in idle refinement is just amazing! There was a little bit of vibes at idle, I guess it was due to filled engine mounts and now that is gone! This despite I have one bad engine mount waiting to be replaced. Low end response has improved dramatically as well; throttle response is super crisp!

To make this mod better, I finally bought a set of Denso Iridium plugs. Normally I am not a fan of Iridium plugs but since I'm going all the way, I wanted to add the Iridium plugs and make sure I haven't compromised on any area.

Plugs had to be re-gapped to 1.1mm

Old plugs. Insulators are white but the ring surrounding the plug is black. Mixed signals, sigh.

After the ignition mods were done, I swapped the Clutch Slave Cylinder with a new unit. The old cylinder although worked fine, it was making few sounds. A working clutch is critical and so decided to change it anyway.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-09.jpg

I start bleeding and the clutch portion of the reservoir is full of black fluid. Ugh, this is going to contaminate the brake fluid as well. I have to flush out the reservoir once bleeding is done. What a pain.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-10.jpg

I also got a Smart charger, took 9 hours to charge my old battery. Glad to now it works well.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-11.jpg

For the festivities this week, pampered my car and bikes for some snowfoam action!

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-12.jpg

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-13.jpg

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-14.jpg

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-15.jpg

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-16.jpg

Car looks good despite 1 year and 4 months of previous detailing.

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-17.jpg

Life with a Red Mitsubishi Cedia-18.jpg

Once the rains die down, I'll probably spend couple of days detailing the car again.

PS : Hat tip to Bhuvan, I got the idea of COP Upgrade all thanks to him. Although he doesn't know about this
SunnyBoi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 23:43   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

I was waiting for your update. Nice job

I am surprised COP does not come standard on the Cedia coz the Corolla/Corolla Altis and the Civic have COP from the factory. Those coils/igniters are delicate & expensive. The service manual warns against dropping them. So do be careful. And those IR plugs do make a difference at least that's what I noticed when I changed over from the factory standard U groove Densos to Ir Densos. This change when the car had done only 4K kms. I even tried NGK Ir but the Densos were better and they've been in the engine ever since.

Your old plugs look fine to me. The insulators ought to be grey-brown. But is your car running slightly rich?

Last edited by R2D2 : 30th September 2017 at 23:47.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 07:28   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised COP does not come standard on the Cedia coz the Corolla/Corolla Altis and the Civic have COP from the factory.
Heh, even the Evo 9 does not come with COP

Quote:
And those IR plugs do make a difference at least that's what I noticed when I changed over from the factory standard U groove Densos to Ir Densos. This change when the car had done only 4K kms. I even tried NGK Ir but the Densos were better and they've been in the engine ever since.
I was never a believer of Iridium plugs. Hope these plugs offer a tangible difference.

Quote:
Your old plugs look fine to me. The insulators ought to be grey-brown. But is your car running slightly rich?
All fuel trims were off since I swapped the ECU. It did run rich for a while
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 10:41   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Heh, even the Evo 9 does not come with COP
Wow! Now that's a real surprise. Does Mitsu feel there's an advantage to using old fashioned HT cables over COPs?

Quote:
I was never a believer of Iridium plugs. Hope these plugs offer a tangible difference.
What are/were your apprehensions about Ir plugs?

Actually I felt the same advantages that you outlined after I changed to these plugs i.e. smoother idling, very slightly better throttle response compared to standard plugs. The changes are slight but for someone sensitive to the engine they're noticeable. Best of all they're long lasting, over 2x the stock plugs.

In fact Toyota recommends a plug upgrade to Denso Ir once the factory plugs are replaced at around 40K kms. In fact post the replacement I'd recommend Ir to anybody provided you get a perfect part # match for the engine that is.

So, now what's the next planned upgrade? A ECM remap? What about upgraded brakes? Believe me, I follow very few threads closely on this site and this is one of them.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed