Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2017, 22:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG. EDIT: 3 years & 55000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
With a choked air filter, I really do not have any observations so can't comment here.
My daily route is from Warje (near Chandni Chowk) to Hinjawadi with 70%highway and rest almost slow moving traffic. But nowadays, I start early in the morning so do not encounter much traffic in the Hinjawadi area.
To make the spares cheaper, VW has changed the air filter manufacturer from UFI to Lumax.

The Lumax air filter is of mediocre quality and negatively affects the drive quality.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ir-filter.html

The impact is even more pronounced, after the installation of flow restrictor as part of the diesel gate fix.

So choked filter is a situation created by the above set of actions.

Have you noticed this difference ?

Last edited by F150 : 19th August 2017 at 22:55.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 07:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
The impact is even more pronounced, after the installation of flow restrictor as part of the diesel gate fix.

So choked filter is a situation created by the above set of actions.

Have you noticed this difference ?
Yes, I have gone through the air filter thread. In my view, if the air flow to the Mass Air Flow sensor (critical component in a diesel EGR setup) is not smooth or choked due to some reason, then the sensor detects an anomaly and may not be able to pass on the right inputs to the ECU. This may force the engine and subsequently the DSG to not behave as expected.

However, the actual experience for the car driver will be noticeable in case of the below:-
1. If there is a significant build-up of the blockage in the air filter then the sensor will definitely act weird and most car users will experience the change
2. However if there is insignificant blockage but if the driver is a BHPian ()or is discerning, then he/she will also observe the difference

Guess the above #2 is applicable for us mortals.

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st August 2017 at 22:43. Reason: Formatting fixed and added spaces. Thanks
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 21:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart_77 View Post
Very nicely written review JM...wishing you many more wonderful miles in your Vw vento.

I'm too picking up vento highline plus next week.
I've chosen reflex silver as this colour is not in production any more.Im gonna change tyres from
195/55r16 to Michelin 205/55r16.

Regards
Braveheart
Any particular reason why you're upgrading from 195/55 R16? Any bad reports?
Old 21st August 2017, 08:33   #34
BHPian

Wow Wow!! It is palpable, your love towards this elegant machine. Yes, Vento+TDI+DSG is a match made in heaven and with the brilliant blue shade, it couldn't get more beautiful. The machine clearly is a part of your family. Absolutely brilliant write up! Care her well and have a fantastic time ahead with her!
rangarx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 09:30   #35
BHPian

Team - I have the Rapid DSG diesel TD today. After the underwhelming suspension on the Vento, please let me know if the Rapid is indeed stiffer? I read and hear about it on several threads but nothing seems conclusive.
Old 21st August 2017, 10:04   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Any particular reason why you're upgrading from 195/55 R16? Any bad reports?
Dear Turbohead

The reason for upgrading is better road grip and sound insulation as i'll be upgrading to michlein p3st 205/55 R 16 tyres.

Regards
Braveheart
Old 21st August 2017, 10:09   #37
BHPian

Also, Can anyone of you can guide me how to get Apple Car Play/Android Auto in RCD330 music system of the VW Vento

Regards,
Braveheart

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st August 2017 at 22:45. Reason: Typo fixed. Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 10:10   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent Review JoshMachine. Will surely help a lot of buyers who are confused whether to go ahead with a VW DSG or not to take an informed decision. Thanks for sharing.

Love the blue shades of the Vento. I had really wanted the Blue shade when I got my Vento TSI in 2013 (It was a different shade of Blue), Unfortunately had to settle for the black one due to my impatience to get the car quickly.

I also crossed 35K on my Vento TSI couple of months back, but took me nearly 3.5 years to get there.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 17:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Wow Wow!! It is palpable, your love towards this elegant machine. Yes, Vento+TDI+DSG is a match made in heaven and with the brilliant blue shade, it couldn't get more beautiful. The machine clearly is a part of your family. Absolutely brilliant write up! Care her well and have a fantastic time ahead with her!
Your wishes are an inspiration! Thanks!
We end up spending almost 1.5-2 hrs. travelling in this car on day to day basis, so it is very much a part of our family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Excellent Review JoshMachine. Will surely help a lot of buyers who are confused whether to go ahead with a VW DSG or not to take an informed decision. Thanks for sharing.
Love the blue shades of the Vento. I had really wanted the Blue shade when I got my Vento TSI in 2013 (It was a different shade of Blue), Unfortunately had to settle for the black one due to my impatience to get the car quickly.

I also crossed 35K on my Vento TSI couple of months back, but took me nearly 3.5 years to get there.
Thank you Rajeevraj. Have tried to put forth the ownership story in such a way that readers will not be biased, but at the same time I convey what I like in this car.
I have been following your views on the TSi, that has helped me gain some good perspectives on the Vento.
Besides the Night Blue, black was the second choice of color. However, during the purchase time period, that was already phased out by VW. And now, they have done the same with the Night Blue shade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Team - I have the Rapid DSG diesel TD today. After the underwhelming suspension on the Vento, please let me know if the Rapid is indeed stiffer? I read and hear about it on several threads but nothing seems conclusive.
I think both the Rapid and the Vento are like mechanical twins - they offer similar suspension setup viz., Mcphersons at the front and semi-independent arms at the rear. Their kerb weights are similar and so on.
When I took the TD, I felt both the cars were almost at par in terms of the stiffness / ride quality .
Old 21st August 2017, 21:12   #40
BHPian

Fantastic review of what is a fantastic machine

I own a Polo TSI and I absolutely love the car to bits, the DSG helping in no small measure.

Regarding the gear shifts - the DSG will not shift to S7 no matter what the speed. In the polo, it reaches its top speed in the 6th cog itself (haven't tried it personally for obvious reasons, have read it in reviews). However, if you're in the sports mode and engage cruise control at let's say 80 kmph, it will shift to S7 to maximise fuel economy because it knows you won't be accelerating and hence don't need the power. The moment you accelerate, it will kick down and revert to its normal state. Smart behaviour I might add.

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st August 2017 at 22:45. Reason: Added spaces properly. Thanks
aditya9567 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 21:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
Fantastic review of what is a fantastic machine
I own a Polo TSI and I absolutely love the car to bits, the DSG helping in no small measure.
Regarding the gear shifts - the DSG will not shift to S7 no matter what the speed. In the polo, it reaches its top speed in the 6th cog itself (haven't tried it personally for obvious reasons, have read it in reviews). However, if you're in the sports mode and engage cruise control at let's say 80kmph, it will shift to S7 to maximise fuel economy because it knows you won't be accelerating and hence don't need the power. The moment you accelerate, it will kick down and revert to its normal state. Smart behaviour I might add.
Thanks Aditya for the review comments.
The info on gear shifting to S7 with cruise control is news to me! In "S" mode, switching the cruise control ON is the last thing on my mind.
Let me try it though as suggested.
Thanks again.
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aditya for the review comments.
The info on gear shifting to S7 with cruise control is news to me! In "S" mode, switching the cruise control ON is the last thing on my mind.
Let me try it though as suggested.
Thanks again.
Thanks Aditya. It works for sure!

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20170822_073523.jpg

Driving mode: "Sports"
Gear engaged: "S7"
Cruise Control: ON
Vehicle Speed: 80 km/h (maybe 78-79 actually)
Engine rpm: just shy of 1400 rpm

(Engine behavior: please get me out of this )

However this situation felt as if I am asking the legendary, 100 meters world record holder/champion Usain Bolt to save his energy for running a marathon!
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:21   #43
BHPian

First of all, fantastic review and worthy of the 5 star rating given by GTO. Only someone in love with his machine can write such an elaborate one!

I have a 2015 Rapid TDi Elegance + and am absolutely in love with it. Your review actually corresponds with a lot of observations that I have with my own Rapid.

The 7 speed DSG, cruise control and build quality are the main hookers for me to select this one.

I'm from Pune too; let's connect offline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
STIFF unfortunately. While this results in better feedback and handling, it is surely a bit uncomfortable for my family. Greedy me, I ensure that I enjoy my Rapid all by myself and ferry my family in my wife's Sunny

Quote:
Thanks Aditya. It works for sure!

(Engine behavior: please get me out of this )
The fun part begins when you engage a pre-set cruise control after the toll booth on the expressway. The acceleration is intoxicating!
roadrunner_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

That makes three TDI DSG's from Pune. I own a 2015 Skoda Rapid TDI DSG Elegance Plus , with Black package.
I haven't driven a Vento or Sunny, but I wouldn't term the Rapid's suspension uncomfortable. May be my 195/60/R15 Michelin Primacy 3STs have some role to play.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
First of all, fantastic review and worthy of the 5 star rating given by GTO. Only someone in love with his machine can write such an elaborate one!
I have a 2015 Rapid TDi Elegance + and am absolutely in love with it. Your review actually corresponds with a lot of observations that I have with my own Rapid.
The 7 speed DSG, cruise control and build quality are the main hookers for me to select this one.
I'm from Pune too; let's connect offline.

The fun part begins when you engage a pre-set cruise control after the toll booth on the expressway. The acceleration is intoxicating!
Thanks roadrunner for your comments! Good to know that your likes greatly match mine - whether it's the slick mechatronics, ride quality et al
For sure, let's meet up in Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
That makes three TDI DSG's from Pune. I own a 2015 Skoda Rapid TDI DSG Elegance Plus , with Black package.
I haven't driven a Vento or Sunny, but I wouldn't term the Rapid's suspension uncomfortable. May be my 195/60/R15 Michelin Primacy 3STs have some role to play.
Great, F150! Would be keen to share notes with you. Do share your views in this thread if you are ok to do so.

I hope there are more TDI DSG's out there in Pune from TBHP.

Brings me to the question - how about a Pune TBHP team-meet sometime in September?
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks