Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2018, 15:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG - Completed 45,000 km in 2.25 yrs (from a teenager to a young adu

Quick update
So, the odo went past the 53k km mark on the eve of the 3rd birthday sometime ago.
It's been a great experience so far, more of a joyride.

The ride on the new Contis is getting better day by day. After 7500 km, they have settled in perfectly.
The DSG is holding up very nicely, with the same sweet precision as ever.
Engine performance and efficiency is slick, with consistent 20+ km/l being achieved even with air-conditioning switched on almost 100% of the times.
NVH levels are getting iffy, need to get that checked in the upcoming next major service.
Getting the car pampered for the 3rd birthday celebration, pictures and more detailed updates to follow soon.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 17:54   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG. EDIT: 3 years & 55000 km up!

Been close to 8k km on the new tyres and so it was time for the wheel rotation + alignment + balancing session.

Went to the same vendor from whom I had bought them - Saran Tyres, situated on Paud Road close to Chandni Chowk.

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181027_114455.jpg

Got the tyres crossed, as is the best practice when you have only 4 tyres (the 2015 Vento's spare / 5th tyre is not an alloy hence I use it for replacement situations only).

The folks are pretty professional and did the entire job in about 60 mins flat.
Wallet lighter by 700 bucks.

Got new "shades" too

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181027_110545.jpg
JoshMachine is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 13:07   #78
Senior - BHPian

Updates on crossing 55,000 km

So, the odo went past another milestone and the steed continues to remain well-mannered in all departments.

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181104_114455.jpg

As I have mentioned in my earlier posts, this car has surpassed quite a few expectations for me personally, given the fact that there are not many long term positive ownership reports being published on the DSG TDi Vento.
Touchwood!

Whether it is about the firm suspension providing very good comfort and stability on those long runs, or it is about the good NVH levels reducing fatigue in my daily commute, or finally the wonderful DSG doing its job tirelessly and as efficiently as ever inspite of the ever worsening horrible traffic conditions - and all of this after a relatively fast clip of having crossed 55,000 km in just over 3 years, I cannot but say again that this has been an extremely delightful ownership experience so far!

Even to this day, in my view, the Vento's design contours are a class apart. And if one takes decent care (Oh, forgive me for not being paranoid about a swirl here and there) of this machine, then it is bound to reciprocate in good faith.
The paint quality is great, it still holds the shine and looks awesome from almost any angle or almost at any time of the day.

Much has been said about the vehicle's low ground clearance, but to my surprise, in a recent underbody check, I couldn't find a single scrape at places where I expected. And this finding, after an all-inclusive ride of 55k km with speed-breakers, potholes et al with family in tow. Maybe that point of low GC has always bore heavy on my mind and helped me to drive rather conservatively.

Posting some random pictures taken recently:-
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181106_101708.jpg

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181106_101811.jpg

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181106_101926.jpg

If you handle & drive the car properly then you are bound to benefit - yes, in this era of northbound fuel prices, I am getting some phenomenal mileage from the car:-

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181104_112107.jpg

Not that this is the only focus or motivation of riding the DSG , but I surely don't mind saving few bucks while enjoying the super comfy rides.

With such a stellar support so far, hoping the good show from the Vento continues for a long long time.
JoshMachine is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 14:35   #79
Senior - BHPian

Wow, the mileage is outstanding ! What are your travel times and conditions ?

I am not getting more than 11kmpl on my daily commute to work in city traffic on my Rapid TDi DSG.
Distance: 11 kms one way.
Time: 11am onwards journey | 8pm return.

Please advise how you are acheving these feats.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 15:00   #80
Senior - BHPian

re: My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG. EDIT: 6.5 yrs & 86,000 km ownership update

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Wow, the mileage is outstanding ! What are your travel times and conditions ?

I am not getting more than 11kmpl on my daily commute to work in city traffic on my Rapid TDi DSG.
Distance: 11 kms one way.
Time: 11am onwards journey | 8pm return.

Please advise how you are acheving these feats.
Thanks buddy.

Most of the "feat" achievements are, in my personal experience, related to few fundamental things being done right - like gradual acceleration/ deceleration (bonus effect on brake pads lasting 50,000 km), NOT allowing the DSG to "ride" in "D1" gear while the car is stationary at traffic signals/ bumper to bumper traffic(using tiptronic for such conditions), using cruise control effectively (aided by highway-like conditions on my daily commute), choosing right time of day for travel to office and back (to cater to traffic patterns) - all of it so that I can ensure that the car drives in highest "D7" gear with relaxed 1500-1800 rpm as far as possible (recommended to extract highest efficiency).
And this is in addition to other things like filling diesel only from Shell, ensuring proper tyre pressure etc.

My overall daily commute to office and return, is about 58 km with approx 38 km on highway route and rest in heavy traffic (you know Hinjawadi , my office is in Phase III).

With your city commute within Pune, I guess some things like slotting or reaching highest gear (to ensure steady state) may not be possible since you may not attain that speed in the first place.
And if you are traversing through heavy traffic with air-conditioning also switched on, then that will also take a toll and the entire ecosystem, so to speak, might be quite overworked resulting in not-so-good fuel efficiency.

My 2 cents, if that's possible, would be for you to alter the time of travel - to see if you can let the car drive around "freely".

I guess, these may not be any radical experiences or that magic formula as such, but then this has helped me a lot over the last 3 years.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 12:38   #81
BHPian

Congrats on achieving the 55k km milestone. You are getting really good milage figures there.
I am from Pune too but usually get only around 12-13 kmpl in city on my 1 year old Rapidly TDi DSG.
Reading this long term review of DSG equipped Vento from fellow Punekar gives me some confidence that I have not made a mistake by buying this TDi + DSG combo ( albeit in Rapid).

Wishing you many more miles of trouble-free ownership cheers
Brigadier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 14:47   #82
Senior - BHPian

Update: NSV Laser magnetic sun shades installation

Bought and installed the NSV Laser Magnetic sun shades few days ago from Bafna Motors, Pune.

Waited for some days to review the product effectiveness and its pros/cons before posting my feedback here. Must say, the initial impressions have been very good.

The word "laser" in the product description refers to the laser scanning technology deployed by NSV Auto, in which the car window outline is digitized and the profiles are then verified to ensure a perfect fit.

Quote:
Utilising our 3D laser scanning capabilities, the outline of the windows are digitized in CAD software and the profiles are verified in-house to ensure a perfect fit. After verification, the window shades are produced using CNC metal bending equipment that forms the shade frames to the same profiles
The complete product info can be found here

And the product : car manufacturer compatibility list can be located on the subsequent tab here.
Mind you, these are global lists and not necessarily India-specific. However, I got my Indian Vento car sunshades without any hassle from the dealer.

Posting few highlights:-
  • Vehicle specific compatibility ensuring smart fitment and design.
  • Since these are magnetic frames, the installation is a breeze (child's play actually, they even have a video to demonstrate). No hassles of losing fastening clips (lost my previous shades' clips by negligent 3M centre folks), or drilling holes in the window sill.
  • Decent quality storage bag provided, to stow those shades away when not in use
  • Do the work they are supposed to, i.e. enabling in cooling the cabin faster. Bonus effect of diluting those heat stings when you rest your hands on the window sill.
    They claim to help in improving fuel efficiency but that is difficult to quantify straightaway. However, one can imagine that by "reducing strain" on the car air-conditioning or helping in keeping the heat out, there will be some indirect advantage here.
  • Modular combination available for purchase - meaning you can purchase either 4 windows shades or the complete set including rear windscreen shade also. I bought the latter.
  • The front window design is such that it doesn't block the entire view and lets the ORVM view unhindered. Nifty, I would think for obvious practical reasons.

And to complete the story, here are some pics.

The rexine type storage bag with Vento inscribed on it:-
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181114_134519.jpg

"vento" inscribed on every shade, to show the customization:-
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181114_134822.jpg

As viewed from outside:-
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181114_100141.jpg
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181114_100235.jpg
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181114_100251.jpg

As viewed from inside, with the full montage:-
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181113_173936.jpg

Views for the driver:-
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181113_173817.jpg
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181113_174021.jpg
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181114_100323.jpg
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181114_100449.jpg

And some heat stings taken off when resting that hand:-
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181114_131330.jpg

And finally couple of pics shot in the office basement parking, to simulate and understand the scenario when you enter a basement parking lot:-
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181114_133914.jpg
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181114_134025.jpg

Hope you find this post useful!
JoshMachine is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 15:58   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Bought and installed the NSV Laser Magnetic sun shades.
Can you please share amount that you paid for these shades?

Quote:
The front window design is such that it doesn't block the entire view and lets the ORVM view unhindered. Nifty, I would think for obvious practical reasons.
This shape gives far better rear view than most shades that I have seen so far.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 16:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Can you please share amount that you paid for these shades?
Got them for 5900. No 'discounts' offered, with stated reason by dealer that NSV retails the best that has to offer in this segment.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 16:52   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Got them for 5900. No 'discounts' offered, with stated reason by dealer that NSV retails the best that has to offer in this segment.

I'm sorry for being a spoilsport, but they don't even cover bottom part of front windows which means they are not perfect fit. Last time I bought these type of shades, they were around 500-600.

If you had to pay so much, why didn't you go for OEM shades?
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 11:51   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
I'm sorry for being a spoilsport
no worries, everyone's entitled to an opinion here

Quote:
but they don't even cover bottom part of front windows which means they are not perfect fit
Infact, these shades are designed not to cover the bottom part of front windows. And that was one of the primary requirement (in addition to others) that I had in mind while purchasing these shades.

The definition of "perfect fit" is kind of relative here in my view, and the meaning varies depending upon one's usage and perception of the product.

To corroborate the above statement, did some homework/research before I selected the NSV laser magnetic sun shades:-
  • Went through the comprehensive 15 pages of discussion at this link dedicated to Magnetic sun shades
  • Looked at, and tried to relate to, some peculiar problem statements and unique requirements from users, originally posted at - link 1, link 2, link 3, link 4, link 5, link 6

Posting some quotes here for quick references:-
    Quote:
    For the front driver side, a little uncomfortable in getting a clear view of the mirror. Also in tolls, had to open the door
    Quote:
    I faced a huge problem on the highway. The door needs to be opened, screen taken out, pay toll, close the door, replace the screen
    Quote:
    with option of a zip, I can use on driver side as well
    Quote:
    it was a huge problem to remove at every toll and mall parking lot
    Quote:
    the other issue is that of storing the shades
    Quote:
    however the fitting is iffy

And to add my own perspective, the below pics (in addition to those shared above), probably make me feel vindicated on the purchase decision.

My view of a perfect fit, with the shade edges cleanly and snugly fitting the Vento window outlines:-
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181115_090649.jpg
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181115_094155.jpg
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181115_094124.jpg

Along with my own use case of comfortably "swiping" the card at office every single day (morning _ evening) , without having to remove the shade:-

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181115_101834.jpg

Quote:
Last time I bought these type of shades, they were around 500-600
Sure enough, there are multiple options to choose and buy shades.
I also wish that NSV sell the laser shades at a lesser price, but unfortunately not yet. Plus, they claim that their product is very durable and has undergone lot of testing thus adding to the price.

Quote:
If you had to pay so much, why didn't you go for OEM shades?
By OEM, if you mean original VW or other company fitments, then I had tried those shades also couple of years ago. They fitted very nicely but the main problem (I realized later) was the clips that were used to attach the shades to the window sills. If one could be careful about keeping those clips safe while say, the car goes for a wash, then no problem. However, due to a terrible experience at a 3M car detailing centre - in which the concerned person was very negligent that he didn't keep those clips securely while removing the shades and then actually lost them - I smarted from the experience.

The NSV laser shades are totally magnetic and can be removed or installed quite easily, thus taking the above terrible scenario out of the equation.
JoshMachine is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 12:45   #87
Senior - BHPian

Had an overnight escapade to Panchgani (https://www.trawell.in/maharashtra/panchgani) over the weekend with family, what with winter season attracting us to savour the delicious strawberries and ice cream!

If anyone is planning to visit, this is perhaps the best time to do so!

Few clicks for your visual delight

Magnificient sunrise view:-

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181209_073115.jpg

Valley view from the balcony:-
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181208_135416.jpg

The amazing flora:
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181208_153142_1.jpg

And last but not the least, that yummy, delicious strawberry topped with cream:
My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20181208_150305_1.jpg
JoshMachine is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 12:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

Update: 4th major service / 60,000 km interval service

Although the odo reads about 57,600 km however decided to go ahead with the 60,000 km servicing. Reason: upcoming road trip over the weekend.

Dealer preferred for servicing: BU Bhandari, Wakad.

Previous / 3rd servicing schedule experience posted here

VW, as we know unlike most other vendors, doesn't publish the standard maintenance schedule in the owner's manual print copy. So, you have to browse and go through it online if interested and keen to know what's about to cook!

The pdf file attached herewith for reference.

Since the dealer has added quite a few service bays in the last few months or so, hence the pain of getting a service appointment is now virtually minimized. I got it with a 2-day notice.
Had couple of minor requests to make - the front arm rest squeaking and the front passenger door/hinge making some rattling noise. Additionally, even though the monsoon season's over, still requested for the wiper blades to be replaced since they were not doing the job cleanly.

The standard maintenance items were covered as part of the 60k km schedule:- replacement of the air filter, fuel filter (mine is a TDi) and ofcourse, the pollen filter also. For the engine oil replacement, Castrol Edge Professional synthetic oil used.
A key line item for the 60k km schedule is the "poly-v" belt (usually called the "Serpentine" or the ribbed belt) replacement.
The service advisor also recommended to opt for the lock/hinge lubrication spray, tried it out anyway. Must say that the door open/shut hinge rattle has disappeared (atleast for now )

The final bill for the 4th servicing schedule came to INR 15,115.
If I add this to the previous three schedule costs, the total amount incurred till date for servicing comes to INR 46,516 translating to an average servicing amount of a reasonably-looking INR 11,629

Took the car out for a longish ride and relished the "silent as a tomb" experience (pun intended) inside the Vento cockpit .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf volkswagen-maintenance-labour-operations-option.pdf (432.3 KB, 549 views)
JoshMachine is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 14:49   #89
Senior - BHPian

Refreshed at 60,000 km

An update since the previous post - undertook a road trip to Bhopal in the last week of 2018 in my beloved Vento. Will post a detailed travelogue and pictures to pen that interesting sojourn!

After our return to Pune few days later, the odo went past the important 60,000 km mark finally! Important mark I say, because this is a kind of psychological milestone achievement especially from the repair & maintenance point of view.
The previous post had already captured the servicing details as a reference.

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190110_094855.jpg

To celebrate the milestone, got a comprehensive detailing done at Aquatint Studio (Aundh).

As can be seen from the various posts listed on the Aquatint home page, every owner till date has had a fantastic experience. Mine was no different. The attention to detail was just mind-blowing and every staff person knew his job very well. The entire process right from appointment to handing over the vehicle at the end of the day is very efficient and brilliantly handled.

I opted for both interior + exterior detailing package.

Will let the pictures do the talking.

First up, the complete side profile. Looks gorgeous, I must say:-

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_102617.jpg

Followed by the rear three-quarter view:-

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_123617.jpg

And then some half-profile shots:-

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_104608.jpg

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_103926.jpg

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_104437.jpg

These bonnet views look smashing in daylight:-

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_104500.jpg

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_105718.jpg

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_104641.jpg

This one is really drool-worthy, in my view:-

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_101155.jpg

Some interior pics:-

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_101434.jpg

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_101650.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, the attention to detailing is captivating and it shows in these pictures. These below parts are heavily used/abused in our daily lives but they look as good as new:-

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_104735.jpg

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190106_104818.jpg

Every nook and corner was cleaned with almost a toothbrush approach kind of cleaning, and it shows. As an example, just have a look at this window sill:-

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190111_073427.jpg

Overall, I am thoroughly impressed with the Aquatint service and would definitely like to visit them again in the future

Kind of feeling refreshed now, even after 60,000 km.

The Vento continues to mesmerize
Old 27th January 2019, 15:13   #90
Senior - BHPian

The Dark Knight prowling the Pune streets at night :-

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-20190105_204443.jpg

Most Viewed