Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2017, 19:14   #16
BHPian

re: My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG. EDIT: 3 years & 55000 km up!

A beautiful car, in a beautiful color. Pity VW replaced this with the blue silk shade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
To conclude this ownership experience for now
=====
Highline Vento delivers that in great amount, for me that is.
As a fellow vento owner, I can totally relate to this. Great review. Kudos!
TSIboy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 21:09   #17
BHPian

Great Review.

Reviews like this does add up to confidence level for a go ahead towards DSG. With the traffic increasing day by day(even in Tier 2 cities), switching to automatic is very tempting. Is there any particular reason why you did not consider Skoda Rapid DSG + same engine combo?
Bageera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 22:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Rating 5 stars + going straight to the homepage .
Thanks GTO! Your 5 star rating means a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIboy View Post
A beautiful car, in a beautiful color. Pity VW replaced this with the blue silk shade.

As a fellow vento owner, I can totally relate to this. Great review. Kudos!
Thanks TSIboy, couldn't agree more with you on the colour decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageera View Post
Great Review.

Reviews like this does add up to confidence level for a go ahead towards DSG. With the traffic increasing day by day(even in Tier 2 cities), switching to automatic is very tempting. Is there any particular reason why you did not consider Skoda Rapid DSG + same engine combo?
Thanks Bageera.
Main reason for choosing Vento included excellent VW dealer initial experience as compared to the Skoda dealership here in Pune, good resale value offered and the better looking design.
The inside story as we know, was more or less the same.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 00:16   #19
BANNED

Amazing write up! I was glued to every word and every photo.

And I hadn't even realised its been 2 years since VW introduced DSG with the TDI in Vento. Your color choice is spot on and just screams premium. and you've loaded it with very thoughtfully chosen accessories. Wishing you a million happy miles with your set of wheels.

P.S. Do upgrade to 195 sections and if possible even 16" rims, 15 look a bit undertyred sometimes.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 01:15   #20
BHPian

It's "Direct Shift Gearbox", mate! Edit it out in the starting post. Very comprehensive report indeed!
Rated 5 stars although I'm yet to read it full, thought of pointing out the correction asap.
Just correct that small error, wonder how no one mentioned yet though.
Rohan24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 04:26   #21
BHPian

Superb review the attention to detail was amazing. Things like counting the number of lights (13) in the instrument cluster and noticing the non linear speedometer are at par with the small yet significant things we all love so much in the official reviews. Loved your style of writing which truly shows you are in love with your machine. I took a TD of the car in 2015 when I bought my jazz and loved it to bits. The DSG just takes the driving experience to a whole new level. The horror stories scared me away but experiences like yours do tempt me towards the famed gearbox when my next purchase is due. Cheers.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 09:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Your color choice is spot on and just screams premium. and you've loaded it with very thoughtfully chosen accessories. Wishing you a million happy miles with your set of wheels.

P.S. Do upgrade to 195 sections and if possible even 16" rims, 15 look a bit undertyred sometimes.
Thanks mate! The Night Blue colour indeed lends elegance to the design.
Will definitely evaluate tyre upsize when the time is ripe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
It's "Direct Shift Gearbox", mate! Edit it out in the starting post. Very comprehensive report indeed!
Rated 5 stars although I'm yet to read it full, thought of pointing out the correction asap.
Just correct that small error, wonder how no one mentioned yet though.
Hey Rohan - thanks for the rating.
As for DSG, VW calls it "Dual" Shift Gearbox on their website as shown in this pic. I have mentioned the same in my post as well:

My Night Blue VW Vento TDI DSG | Ownership Experience | EDIT: Sold after 6.5 years-images.jpg

But I agree there are lot of folks calling it "Direct" Shift Gearbox as well. Hope this clarifies.
But this apart, on a lighter note, as they say in Hindi - "aam khao ped mat gino" (to translate - just enjoy the fruit, why worry about counting the trees)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Superb review the attention to detail was amazing. Things like counting the number of lights (13) in the instrument cluster and noticing the non linear speedometer are at par with the small yet significant things we all love so much in the official reviews. Loved your style of writing which truly shows you are in love with your machine. I took a TD of the car in 2015 when I bought my jazz and loved it to bits. The DSG just takes the driving experience to a whole new level. The horror stories scared me away but experiences like yours do tempt me towards the famed gearbox when my next purchase is due. Cheers.
Glad you liked my ownership perspective, ToyotaFan.
It sure is a great work, and one has to go by the playbook to enjoy it fully.
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 15:57   #23
BHPian

Great write up on a lovely car.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 19:08   #24
BHPian

What a fantastic ownership review! The whole seven stars. I got everything what I want to know about Vento.. the classic beauty. Congratulations and and wishing you many many more thousands of happy miles. Thank You.
Jeevan Sukumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 19:42   #25
BHPian

Very nicely written review JM...wishing you many more wonderful miles in your Vw vento.

I'm too picking up vento highline plus next week.
I've chosen reflex silver as this colour is not in production any more.Im gonna change tyres from
195/55r16 to Michelin 205/55r16.

Regards
Braveheart

Last edited by GTO : 19th August 2017 at 20:58. Reason: Removing last line with funny characters which seemed to have been posted in error
braveheart_77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 19:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Rohan - thanks for the rating.
As for DSG, VW calls it "Dual" Shift Gearbox on their website as shown in this pic. I have mentioned the same in my post as well:
Whaaa! I didn't know that! That's surprising. From what I know, in German it's "Direkt Schalte Getriebe"- Direct Shift Gearbox, hence I mentioned it.

Quote:
But I agree there are lot of folks calling it "Direct" Shift Gearbox as well. Hope this clarifies.
But this apart, on a lighter note, as they say in Hindi - "aam khao ped mat gino" (to translate - just enjoy the fruit, why worry about counting the trees)
Haha yes mate! What a piece of engineering that is! Seamless gearshifts.
BTW, that Night Blue shade is absolutely beautiful. That colour only adds to that classy design.
Rohan24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 20:08   #27
BHPian

What is the 0-100 for a Vento TSi and how does it compare to a Polo TSi?

Not that I am worried about a Polo taking over on a highway, I am not competing with hatchbacks. I want to sure that I will leave the City, Verna, Ciaz behind though

But Polo TSi does make me wonder that hatchback buyers have access to the engine/transmission of the next segment which is Vento TSi. How come Sedan buyers don't have access to the next segment, maybe Jetta 1.4 TSi? That is, if they are willing to pay for it.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 20:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Wow, such a detailed thread !!. Excellent information on the DSG behaviour.

I tend to apply the brake sometimes to make the DSG downshift. The downshift is faster compared to easing off the accelerator.

Do you observe the DSG upshifting to higher gears says D5 or D6 when it should be in D4 ?

I think the DSG shifts to higher gears very quickly when the air filter is choked. When the air filter is cleaned DSG, holds on to lower gears.

Do you confirm ?

What is your daily drive route in Pune and corresponding traffic conditions ?

Last edited by F150 : 19th August 2017 at 21:05.
F150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 21:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post

Not that I am worried about a Polo taking over on a highway, I am not competing with hatchbacks. I want to sure that I will leave the City, Verna, Ciaz behind though
The Vento TSI does the 0-100 sprint in just under 11 seconds in S mode. It doesn't sound fast but trust me you sure will leave behind the other three with this one.
Old 19th August 2017, 22:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great write up on a lovely car.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevan Sukumar View Post
What a fantastic ownership review! The whole seven stars. I got everything what I want to know about Vento.. the classic beauty. Congratulations and and wishing you many many more thousands of happy miles. Thank You.
Great to know this write-up helped you, Jeevan.
Thanks for the stars and wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart_77 View Post
Very nicely written review JM...wishing you many more wonderful miles in your Vw vento.
I'm too picking up vento highline plus next week.
I've chosen reflex silver as this colour is not in production any more.Im gonna change tyres from
195/55r16 to Michelin 205/55r16.

Regards
Braveheart
Thanks Braveheart.
And advance congrats for your new Vento! Am sure your Vento will look equally smashing in that Reflex Silver! Will that be TDI DSG as well?
Thought the stock tyres are 185s and not 195s as you are mentioning - has VW upgraded them on the Highline Plus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Whaaa! I didn't know that! That's surprising. From what I know, in German it's "Direkt Schalte Getriebe"- Direct Shift Gearbox, hence I mentioned it.
For me, DSG is just fine

Quote:

But Polo TSi does make me wonder that hatchback buyers have access to the engine/transmission of the next segment which is Vento TSi. How come Sedan buyers don't have access to the next segment, maybe Jetta 1.4 TSi? That is, if they are willing to pay for it.
On paper, the Polo hatchback is faster than its elder sedan brother with the same engine but lighter kerb weight.

Your question on access to next segment is very poignant but I guess, car manufacturers keep distinctions between models as prices go north. It boils down to positioning and pricing of the feature set, engine options being offered etc.

Almost all do that - you see Verna vs Elantra, Rapid vs Octavia and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Wow, such a detailed thread !!. Excellent information on the DSG behaviour.
I tend to apply the brake sometimes to make the DSG downshift. The downshift is faster compared to easing off the accelerator.
Do you observe the DSG upshifting to higher gears says D5 or D6 when it should be in D4 ?
Thanks F150 for your comments.
Yes, the DSG will always tend to upshift to the higher gear, as I had remarked in my post. This is to leverage the fuel efficiency.

Quote:
I think the DSG shifts to higher gears very quickly when the air filter is choked. When the air filter is cleaned DSG, holds on to lower gears.

Do you confirm ?

What is your daily drive route in Pune and corresponding traffic conditions ?
With a choked air filter, I really do not have any observations so can't comment here.
My daily route is from Warje (near Chandni Chowk) to Hinjawadi with 70%highway and rest almost slow moving traffic. But nowadays, I start early in the morning so do not encounter much traffic in the Hinjawadi area.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 19th August 2017 at 22:08.
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks