Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2017, 20:31   #46
BHPian

re: 2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km

Congrats on this brilliant machine. Makes all other cars from the segment and above so overpriced. Wishing you many happy miles on your rocket!

And..I kinda agree with you on the cars being docile nowadays. Sure, cars nowadays have loads of power but it doesn't feel like it has! It's all too linear and dramaless.

Could blame it on stringent NVH or priority on comfort. BUT when special edition cars are launched (like your VRS), they should just let all hell loose and make a proper driver's thrill machine. Give me the crazy push in the back feeling!

It's all too sinister and stealthy today. It's a good or bad thing, depends on you.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 00:48   #47
BHPian

Congrats Nikhil for acquiring this awesome set of wheels!!

Yesterday, when I visited Skoda's showroom just to have a closer look at vRS, I did notice an additional button on the steering wheel that I highlighted in the picture attachment. Could you please tell us about this button's use.
As vRSs are direct imports (CBUs), I guessed and hoped that it might be Adaptive Cruise Control button. Please confirm.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-skoda_2017_vrs_button_mystery.png  

abhi_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 01:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_d View Post

Yesterday, when I visited Skoda's showroom just to have a closer look at vRS, I did notice an additional button on the steering wheel that I highlighted in the picture attachment. Could you please tell us about this button's use.
As vRSs are direct imports (CBUs), I guessed and hoped that it might be Adaptive Cruise Control button. Please confirm.
That's the Radar based Adaptive Cruise Control. It's a dummy on the indian cars.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 19:35   #49
BHPian

Congratulations Nikhil on the vRS. The color is absolutely stunning.

Wishing you lots of happy miles ahead.
srinivasnvns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 20:05   #50
BHPian

Congratulations Nikhil. I was on the lookout for your updates considering you had already put up the initial feel so early after your delivery!

Unfortunately, I will have to wait a lot longer as I couldn't get either of my preferred colours - Red followed by Steel Gray from TAFE. However, I am hanging in to be in the queue for the next slot in early 2018.

Since you topped up with RON 91 fuel, what is your impression/opinion on using normal fuel? There is a conversation on in the vRS thread on this topic so would be great to hear your regular updates in terms of fuel being used.

Safe driving and happy mile crunching.
Old 9th September 2017, 20:12   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Congratulations Nikhil. I was on the lookout for your updates considering you had already put up the initial feel so early after your delivery!

Unfortunately, I will have to wait a lot longer as I couldn't get either of my preferred colours - Red followed by Steel Gray from TAFE. However, I am hanging in to be in the queue for the next slot in early 2018.

Since you topped up with RON 91 fuel, what is your impression/opinion on using normal fuel? There is a conversation on in the vRS thread on this topic so would be great to hear your regular updates in terms of fuel being used.

Safe driving and happy mile crunching.
I believe Steel Grey is available. That's what I was told yesterday when I went to the showroom and met Reji. I've put up Reji's contact details on the main thread. Do check it and give him a call.

I've been using normal IOC Petrol for the past 1800 kms and I havent had a single problem.

I'll reply to everyone's posts after the weekend in detail!

This weekend is meant for driving and I am trying to do full justice to it.

Pics below.

It was a small meet up of some friends, some of whom are TBHP-ians. And 3 of us then further continued towards Chennai while I returned.

2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-whatsapp-image-20170909-7.58.08-pm.jpeg

2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-whatsapp-image-20170909-7.58.09-pm.jpeg

2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-whatsapp-image-20170909-7.58.09-pm1.jpeg

2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-whatsapp-image-20170909-7.58.10-pm.jpeg

2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-whatsapp-image-20170909-7.58.10-pm1.jpeg

2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-whatsapp-image-20170909-7.58.11-pm.jpeg

2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-whatsapp-image-20170909-7.58.11-pm1.jpeg

The fuel economy was low, just 9.7 according to the tankful-to-tankful method. Howeveer, today, I was really hard on the engine. I was in Sports mode for a large part of the drive and I was accelerating very hard and revving up to 6000 rpm.

Tomorrow will be another short drive, but that is expected to be a lot slower.

Today was a 500-km day bringing my 8th day of car ownership total to 1800kms!

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 9th September 2017 at 20:14.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 20:57   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

A neighbour brought home a white RS today. Not impressed with the front. Bumper looks sharp though!
Old 9th September 2017, 22:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
A neighbour brought home a white RS today. Not impressed with the front. Bumper looks sharp though!
Neighbours envy owners pride I went to aTafe hosur road. They had two deliveries today. A red and white. Not sure the white one went to your neighbors garage. Both cars were looking stunning.

They have grey in stock. This is a fantastic car, congrats nikhil
Old 9th September 2017, 23:44   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Neighbours envy owners pride I went to aTafe hosur road. They had two deliveries today. A red and white. Not sure the white one went to your neighbors garage. Both cars were looking stunning.

They have grey in stock. This is a fantastic car, congrats nikhil
Not moved. I stay in a high end gated community where Skoda is looked down upon. The white looks like a luxury taxi and the front looks very fussy.
Old 10th September 2017, 01:02   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I've been using normal IOC Petrol for the past 1800 kms and I havent had a single problem.

This is helpful to hear. Been freaking out about where to find premium fuel in a city that barely keeps Speed and XtraPremium in stock.

Quote:

Attachment 1674250

Today was a 500-km day bringing my 8th day of car ownership total to 1800kms!
I'm sorry that i'm saying this, But.. That booty look fine!! I love the way it sits lower. Can't wait to take delivery!

BTW.. how many kms were you light on the throttle? Do we need to run this engine in? If yes, How many km?

Last edited by venom_op : 10th September 2017 at 01:04. Reason: adding a question
Old 10th September 2017, 10:47   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikhil, many congrats and wishing you and your family safe happy journeys in this car. I've been following your modded Civic thread and it'll be the same for this one.

I am looking to buy a new car in the future (will probably retain my trustworthy Altis though) and it'll be a toss up between the vRS and one of the Big 3 Germans. Let's see how things pan out.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 11:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

Many Congratulations Nikhil on an absolute 'drool maal'! The shade looks rocking. You will enjoy the Skoda build quality and once you get used to it, it will be difficult to return to lesser cars, even if I am still not so sure about their service backup.

Wishing you years of happy and safe driving. Cheers...
Old 10th September 2017, 18:56   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Glad you managed to sort out the ride quality. Ironic that YOU did not verify the tyre pressures at the very outset (just joking!)

Happy motoring!
Hahaha! As I said, my pressure gauge was in my other car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Congratulations on your VRS. Your feelings on conclusion are pretty much the same that I had when I moved to Jetta TSI from Cedia. Steering exactly felt the same. But the instant pick up of 2.0 L Cedia was more fun compared to the turbolag of Jetta. I still miss my Cedia by light years.
Wishing you thousands of safe miles.
Thanks! I understand exactly what you mean about the Cedia. That was a fantastic car to drive and I've driven a friend's Cedia for a fair bit and always enjoyed that car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Totally agree with this. Though I haven't driven the VRS, this is exactly how I felt when I took a long TD of the 1.8 TSI. It was fast, but didn't feel fast! There was no drama that I usually experience with the Abarth. The TSI just shot forward when I floored the pedal. In the Abarth I have to fight with the steering to make sure that the car is going straight, especially in 1st and 2nd. Though a pain in traffic, it is pure joy on those late night drives..!
Thanks Suraj!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Congratulations nikhil! That was extremely quick. Looks like you had your mind made up and was just waiting for the launch and delivery.

Which showroom did you buy it from? Anything updates (cosmetic or mechanical) planned?
Yes. I had made up my mind and made most of the payment before 18th August. TAFE had promised me that I would get the car on the day of the launch and they kept their promise.

As of now, nothing is planned, but never say never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Your practical comparisons with the Civic is certainly interesting and gives a different perspective than normal German car ownership threads. How does it fare in terms of the ground clearance practically on Bangalore roads compared to civic?

Those seats are more than awesome. I am concerned you find the side support bit difficult for your size and more than happy to offer stock seats if you would ever trade them off .

Also the stock alloys looks very Korean as you already mentioned. An all black/dark gray alloys will significantly compliment beauty of the blue vRS. Not sure why Skoda is not looking back at the Spider alloys on first gen Octavia vRS while designing new ones.
I would say the ground clearance is better than a stock Civic and on par with my Civic with Tein Suspension.

I've realised that I am very comfortable with the seats! So, thanks but no thanks!

I may change the alloys soon if I get bored of this design. Will take me a couple of months to decide! The 16" Spider alloys on the old vRS were fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Congrats Nikhil! I guess it's one of those purchases with no head vs heart battle!

Trust me, speed masking is the best feature ever! You'll get to your destination without any fatigue- especially useful for business trips! Also long distance cruising becomes a far more comfortable thing- won't be surprised if you do 600-700 kms in one sitting!
Would you believe me if I say this was a head vs heart battle and the head won? My heart wanted to stick to the Civic. I'm very attached to the Civic. However, my head wanted me to get the vRS. We all now know how that battle ended.

The Civic was equally good at munching miles and getting me to my business meetings feeling fresh as a daisy! The vRS will continue that tradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Congrats, Nikhil, happy for you!

Can't wait to see your car when I drop by next!
Thank you Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Sweet car and a sexy color that is. I really like the shade on the car. I can uderstand your comparison of the civi with the Vrs, but trust me the car will grow on you.

So what is the first modification?

Once again Congratulations and happy mile munching..
Thanks Jaggu! And I have a bet to win, remember?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Amazing car in an amazing colour. If anything in the Rs. 30 lakh ball park is drool worthy, it is this, so congrats on it.

On a side note, surely you won't be able to resist modifying it at some point!
Yes, if the car ages well, I wouldnt mind some mods post the 4th year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

The blue color is very addictive to say the least and am sure you will maintain it best.

So now Chennai is just 2 1/2 hours away in your car?
Thank you Sir! 2.5 hours if the roads from Walajahpet to Chennai were 6-laned and empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb8778 View Post
Congratulations Nikhilji on your sexy blue RS!

Aside, during delivery did you by any chance see the Steel Grey colour of the RS in the showroom? If yes, how do you find the colour?

Have only seen the SG in pics and not in the flesh and I'm not really convinced on the colour yet. Had to book mine in SG colour as no other option was available. Hoping to get it changed to white as I'd given white as second option.
Thanks! I think the steel grey looks absolutely smashing. I did see one Steel Grey when I went to take delivery of my car. Even otherwise, I've seen a few pictures and I think it looks special. One unique point of the steel grey is that it is available only on the vRS. The Blue, on the other hand, is available with the normal Octavia TSI/TDI as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Congrats on this brilliant machine. Makes all other cars from the segment and above so overpriced. Wishing you many happy miles on your rocket!

And..I kinda agree with you on the cars being docile nowadays. Sure, cars nowadays have loads of power but it doesn't feel like it has! It's all too linear and dramaless.

Could blame it on stringent NVH or priority on comfort. BUT when special edition cars are launched (like your VRS), they should just let all hell loose and make a proper driver's thrill machine. Give me the crazy push in the back feeling!

It's all too sinister and stealthy today. It's a good or bad thing, depends on you.
Well, what you say is true, but at the end of the day, I am going to be using this day in and day out. I would rather have a nice, docile feeling car most of the time. The car is very very fast, but it doesnt feel as fast as it is. I am still happy with the compromise. If they had to make it really extreme, we wouldnt be able to use it on the roads here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_d View Post

Thanks Abhi. As someone else explained, it's a dummy button on our cars. Doesnt work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Nikhil, many congrats and wishing you and your family safe happy journeys in this car. I've been following your modded Civic thread and it'll be the same for this one.

I am looking to buy a new car in the future (will probably retain my trustworthy Altis though) and it'll be a toss up between the vRS and one of the Big 3 Germans. Let's see how things pan out.
Thanks R2D2. The vRS for outright fun, the Germans for brand value and ride comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Many Congratulations Nikhil on an absolute 'drool maal'! The shade looks rocking. You will enjoy the Skoda build quality and once you get used to it, it will be difficult to return to lesser cars, even if I am still not so sure about their service backup.

Wishing you years of happy and safe driving. Cheers...
Thanks! Even I'm very unsure of my service experience. I hope to be able to report in a year that they exceeded my expectations at my first service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post

I'm sorry that i'm saying this, But.. That booty look fine!! I love the way it sits lower. Can't wait to take delivery!

BTW.. how many kms were you light on the throttle? Do we need to run this engine in? If yes, How many km?

The rear does look very nice.

I was light on the throttle for maybe 1000-1200 kms. I dont know about running in as it's a very controversial topic. My logic is that no harm can be done by driving easily for the first 1000 kms or so.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 10th September 2017 at 18:58.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 20:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Conclusion

I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but I keep comparing the vRS with my Turbo Civic. To begin with, the Civic feels special when you sit inside. I mentioned this before, but it bears repeating. The vRS is a very nice place to be in, but doesnt feel special. In the Civic, every drive felt special! The design of the Civic makes it feel more spacious and there is definitely far more storage in the Civic's front passenger compartment. The Civic feels a lot more practical.

The only disappointment I have is that the car doesnt feel fast. This is probably just a stupid feeling that I have now as I've always enjoyed the Civic's feel. My guess is that as I drive more in the vRS, I will start to appreciate the mega mile munching capabilities, the refinement, the suspension and the brakes. And at that point, I may not care too much about the fact that the car isolates you from the speed and the experience.
Thanks for the review and Congrats!! Great choice of color too.

I think the word for VAG performance is clinical. Going fast is an everyday affair with no drama, no fuss. It almost makes you feel guilty for not having worked for extracting that performance. And as you pointed out the braking - something that impressed me till the very end on my GT TDI. It allows you to judge your braking point so well and provided great feedback. Which again gives you great confidence to...yeah...GO FAST.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 11th September 2017, 02:42   #60
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Nikhil, and welcome to the TSI club. Must say, it's quite the entrance!

This has to be, undoubtedly, the first time I've ever seen someone buy a Skoda for 'reliability' and daily driver duties in lieu of a Japanese thoroughbred.

And yes, I know it's probably not feasible to top her up with 97 / 99 Octane on a regular basis, especially considering your driving schedule, but do give it a try at some point. I believe it will make a difference, in the same way the drop in tyre pressure and a round of balancing did to your driving experience.

Enjoy her in the best of health, and drive safe.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th September 2017 at 02:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks