Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2018, 21:55   #286
BHPian

re: 2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Thanks guys.

A wrap is out of question. I bought the vRS in this blue because I loved it. The detailing made it look absolutely brilliant.

This colour really gives the car a different charm.

I will be getting it repainted for sure. Will discuss with TAFE and decide how to go about it.
Don't intend to throw a curve ball here, but why are you looking only at TAFE for the repaint, unless its only to satisfy warranty.

I have gone through three repaints at the dealership, a Swift and a T-jet (part repaint), and my aunts completely redone gypsy and I can confidently say that my good old FNG painter can and has done a better job and that too without a paint booth. I swear by DuPont, and the 10 year old paint job on my bullet and my old Baleno still looks better than most OE paint jobs and I don't take painstaking care of my vehicles like you do. So please take a look at the final finish that TAFE is offering before you decide to take the plunge.

What happened to you and your colleague should never happen to anyone. Good luck on the repaint.
Old 28th February 2018, 23:48   #287
BHPian

Quote:
I'm heartbroken today.

I reached Hyderabad yesterday for our company's annual conference and we are staying in Sitara Hotel at Ramoji Film City.

I parked my car in their dedicated parking space just behind the hotel. About 30 metres from the main porch.

Some jackass has taken a blade to my car and caused extremely deep scratches on the hood, the passenger side front door and rear door. A small scratch has also been seen on the rear left quarter panel.
I feel your pain brother. This is simply a horrific and sadistic behavior!

I think the guy who keyed your car probably has hundreds of curses on him right now from the entire TBHP family!

Quote:
Thanks guys.

A wrap is out of question. I bought the vRS in this blue because I loved it. The detailing made it look absolutely brilliant.

This colour really gives the car a different charm.

I will be getting it repainted for sure. Will discuss with TAFE and decide how to go about it.
If you do reconsider, 3M has launched a new wrap color called Gloss Blue Fire. Do check it out. it will look very close to the vRS blue.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 1st March 2018 at 01:24. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 1st March 2018, 14:03   #288
BHPian

Nikhil - while this is really unfortunate and painful, I doubt that the hotel will cover any of the damages. This was not a situation where it was damaged by one of their employees, or because of their negligence. They're being polite but will not pay - hotels usually have policies on this. They are not the culprits. In fact, the real culprit has not even been contacted yet! You will need to work with the cops to get the culprit to pay towards the work.
Old 1st March 2018, 14:18   #289
BHPian

This really is heart breaking and agonisingly painful to watch. I hope you get the justice you deserve. We love and put so much of our hard earned money on our vehicles only for idiots like the Micra Moron to make a mess out of it.

I am really sorry for the plight you have been put through.
Old 1st March 2018, 14:28   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderluster View Post
Nikhil - while this is really unfortunate and painful, I doubt that the hotel will cover any of the damages.
Please read my previous post

Thank you all for your kind words. I've been really busy with work these past 2-3 days and havent been able to have a detailed discussion witj TAFE. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 12:02   #291
Team-BHP Support

I don't even know where to begin.

And the unfortunate thing about this is the general public's attitude towards this heinous act, and their dismissive "it's-just-a-few-scratches" attitude, followed by lame excuses and feeble attempts to brush it aside with statements like "there are more serious matters to deal with".

It's truly appalling!

I am a firm believer of karma, and it will catch up with that low-life, I assure you of it.

Think of this incident as a one-off and just focus on getting the car back to its original state. It's just a bad dream!

And don't let this deter you from taking the car on long drives. Enjoy the car for what it is, and treat yourself with some goodies for it!
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 14:35   #292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

I am a firm believer of karma, and it will catch up with that low-life, I assure you of it.
Karma works, believe me! No point wasting energy on anger and revenge!
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 15:13   #293
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nikhil,

Sorry to hear about this incident, indeed yes, its definitely heartbreaking.

I had a similar incident when I was staying at Holiday Inn Express, OMR, Chennai, when someone came and scratched all over the car! The hotel team bluntly refused and when I complained to the HR of my company (because I was on an official trip), I realized there were hand-in-glove with the hotel management.

How disgusting!
Old 2nd March 2018, 16:18   #294
BHPian

I am surprised that the hotel agreed to compensate almost 90% of the damage cost. Most hotels have a disclaimer "parking at owners risk". So its a big plus for this hotel, I feel. Get the car repainted and move on.
Old 2nd March 2018, 16:47   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
I am surprised that the hotel agreed to compensate almost 90% of the damage cost. Most hotels have a disclaimer "parking at owners risk". So its a big plus for this hotel, I feel. Get the car repainted and move on.
On paper, the disclaimer would sound simple. But in real life, providing a safe parking is one of the value additions for the hotel. Remember this isnt a small eatery but a huge hotel catering to corporate customers. Also, this is a clear breach of security since they have allowed a stranger to enter their premises, do so much damage without any restraint. Hence, they cant wash off their hands. The added factor here was since Nikhils organization had to pay them money, he had a leverage and like he has mentioned, he got help from people.

Leaving the leverage apart, no ethical company can refuse to compensate in such situations, especially when their flaws are clearly seen in not able to maintain security within their premises.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 19:39   #296
Senior - BHPian

To be very frank, if Nikhil didnt have an outstanding payment to make, the outcome would have been very different. Outstanding payment is a key leverage that acted in Nikhil's favor.
F150 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 22:18   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

I went to TAFE today and spoke at length with Mr Sanjeev, the bodyshop manager and my good friend Shankara Narayan, the spare parts manager.

After a lot of discussion we decided to focus all our efforts and repaint those 3 panels and do a touch-up above the front passenger door and the rear quarter panel.

I have been told very clearly and honestly (which I appreciate) that the paint will not be factory spec. They say the shade will match, but the metallic flakes in the paint might look different.

How different? Difficult to say now.

Based on my conversation with them, I doubt anyone else in the outside market can do a better job in terms of this. Do keep in mind that the paint in any bodyshop will be sprayed by hand compared to a factory where it's done robotically. Also, the paint used will be different. Maybe a different brand or whatever.

The paint is also sprayed on the bare chassis/panel. In the aftermarket, they will not be stripping the paint off as by hand, it is not possible to get that perfect even thickness you get with robots.

The above is what I believe based on my limited knowledge and on my conversation with the bodyshop manager. I could well be wrong and I will be happy to learn.

However, getting the full body sprayed to have an even colour does seem very excessive. All the parts will have to be removed and the factory fit and tightness will be lost.

So, I will take a chance and hope for a 95% paint match and retain the factory tightness of all the body panels and fittings.

I will be giving my car to TAFE on Monday morning. They have agreed to spray an extra layer of clear coat so that Sunny can do some aggressive polishing/sanding if required to remove orange peel.

Once again, if anyone has any contacts in SKoda India or TAFE to put in a word at the bodyshop, I will be obliged.

I know many of you have recommended that I go outside Skoda, but this time I am risking everything on this.

I hope I can come back and honestly report that TAFE exceeded my expectations.

Please cross your fingers and toes!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 22:28   #298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
we decided to focus all our efforts and repaint those 3 panels and do a touch-up above the front passenger door and the rear quarter panel.
Can you first try to get these deep cuts removed using rubbing compound? If not Tafe than someone outside, I have a feeling that this can be done without a paint going by the video you posted. Maybe you can put a 3M PPF after rubbing, though you won't able to get detailed, it will surely look better than a partially painted car. don't hurry up, go for repaint when there is no other option.

Quote:
my nail actually goes 3-4mm deep inside at certain points
I will say, give it a try, I had something similar many years ago on my X6. Local BMW Dealership could get rid of deep cuts. I will try to send you some pictures separately. If you are going for PPF, no harm in trying.

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd March 2018 at 22:42.
Old 2nd March 2018, 22:28   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I have been told very clearly and honestly (which I appreciate) that the paint will not be factory spec. They say the shade will match, but the metallic flakes in the paint might look different.

How different? Difficult to say now.
I'm glad they are being honest. However with utmost care, it can be brought to 99% of the original spec.

This is the reason why no repaint can be 100% close to the original shade. Hence the blending is necessary.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 22:35   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

I also plan to get PPF for the hood and the bumpers post the repaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can you first try to get these deep cuts removed using rubbing compound? If not Tafe than someone outside, I have a feeling that this can be done without a paint going by the video you posted. Maybe you can put a 3M PPF after rubbing, though you won't able to get detailed, it will surely look better than a partially painted car. don't hurry up, go for repaint when there is no other option.
Thanks for your opinion.... however, it is IMPOSSIBLE to detail it or polish it.... maybe the video wasnt clear enough but my nail actually goes 3-4mm deep inside at certain points.

Polishing is just not an option.

Anyway, TAFE promises that the paint job when done will look perfect in most situations. It's probably going to be "mis-matched" only when you examine it up close.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks