Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2019, 18:48   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!

^^ Please use the Pink Super Long Life coolant.

Once filled, you don't have to replace for 80k kms; and the key to keeping the cooling system in good shape. Think about it. OEM coolant would keep your water pump, head, radiator and lines all in order.

I agree with R2D2 on the plugs. The spec is NGK BKR5EYA11 or Denso K16R-U11. Both these come with the plug gap preset at 1.1mm.

It is a good practice to check the plug gap once at the 20k km mark. My Corolla needed a gap reset.

I'd recommend the Denso anyday over NGK.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 06:41   #152
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the car Ashwin. You appear to have landed a good example. These things just go on and on as long as they are serviced regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
the previous owner(passed away) was an enthusiast who took exceptionally good care of the car, that is until maintained by his family which is evident from the Chinese tires on all 4 wheels.
I would say, change these at the earliest. Even if there is no visible wear and tear, if a car is left standing, tyres can harden with time and one fine day, a chunk of rubber will just come off (hopefully not when you are doing higher speeds).

Quote:
The car has been practically unused since 2015 IIRC, hence hoping to change the following;

1. Air Filter.
2. Spark Plugs.
3. Steering Fluid.
4. Brake Fluid.
5. Engine Oil and Filter.
6. Gear Oil.
7. Brake Pads.
8. Cabin Filter.

This is all that comes to mind, do share details if I'm missing something.
Just to be on the safe side, apart from these, have all the pipes checked as well - don't want one letting go on the highway. After all, it's an old car.
Quote:
Currently sporting an Amaron battery that was replaced at the same time, but due to lack of use there is some drop with the blower at full and the HL on on High beams,

This is with the engine off, but volts drop by 0.01 every 5 seconds.
Do have the check the alternator.

Quote:
Next query I have is with the remote, this is what came with the car;
Looks like and aftermarket unit. The original key came with 3 buttons - lock, unlock and alarm.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th March 2019 at 12:04. Reason: Fixed quote tag.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 15:28   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of which the Tacho tends to get stuck at times, not always but at times, the rest of the speedo unit works flawlessly.
This is not normal; for the moment you could ignore it but this looks like a meter malfunction

Quote:

This is with the engine off, but volts drop by 0.01 every 5 seconds.

Attachment 1861802

With the motor running and blower and HL still ON I get this;

Attachment 1861803
Please have the battery charged once, and then see. Eleven point four eight volts at idle is approx one volt lower than normal.

Plus, with the alternator on, the voltage should be 13.8-14.2Volts

Quote:

Next query I have is with the remote, this is what came with the car;

Attachment 1861804

The largest button Locks and Unlocks the car, the rest doesn't seem to do anything
This is an aftermarket remote - pre-2005 Corollas came with the two black non-remote chip keys and one grey valet key. Aftermarket remotes were needed.

Your remote is fine. The other two buttons could be to locate the car in say a huge car park. Don't worry about those functions not working.

Post facelift(Aug2005-2008) Corollas came with the integrated remotes in the keys which, again, were prone to break over time.

On the seat back, try to see if the seat back tilts with you holding the lever up with one hand and using the other hand to move the seatback front and back. Else, just get the mechanism serviced.

Last edited by vigsom : 26th March 2019 at 15:35. Reason: corrections
Old 28th March 2019, 01:58   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Good luck. Do let us know how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I'd recommend the Denso anyday over NGK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Congrats on the car Ashwin.
Quote:
This is not normal
Sorry for the delay guys, got the car serviced.

And let me tell you it was hectic, took two days to source the parts get them installed at FNG due to questionable ASC history.

The OEM filter costs 1.1k compared to the Bosch filter that costs only about 150/-, we decided to stick with OEM for critical components, we had to compromise on aftermarket parts(reputable brands) for non-engine related components due to availability issues.

The belt had to be changed as it was cracked.

Fluids were used as advised, finding the pink stuff did take some time.

The guys couldn't fix the meter, hence it is left as it was.

The OBD scanner did return two error codes which were wiped, on inquiry it was mentioned that the cause for error was stalling the car, which is something I find a bit hard to digest, couldn't get the specifics as I was away at the time and my friend(for whom the car was bought) missed to take note of the error code.

The charging system seems to be fine after a test, though battery would need replacement in a while considering age alone.

Underbody was coated with 3M but the gun at the workshop couldn't spray it as designed due to thickness hence thinner had to be used, which is contrary to the instructions on the bottle.

The car has developed a new issue i.e stiffer i.e bouncier front end after the service, mechanic assures me that it is due to the car being hoisted for so long, hoping things would return back to normal after covering some miles.

Rear power windows weren't working which has been corrected.

Total bill went a tad above the 13k mark which is decent considering we stuck to Denso parts.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img20190326wa0004.jpg

Getting a car serviced with love and respect is a pain in the nether-regions in this country, I believe to have made at least 30 calls to the mechanic in spite of my friend eagle-eyeing the whole affair.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 08:49   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And let me tell you it was hectic, took two days to source the parts get them installed at FNG due to questionable ASC history. Getting a car serviced with love and respect is a pain in the nether-regions in this country, I believe to have made at least 30 calls to the mechanic in spite of my friend eagle-eyeing the whole affair.
Toyota's ASC questionable? TKM needs to be informed. They'll give them the stick. Did you do the clutch replacement as well?

That bit about the cause of those error codes was amusing. As long as the CEL doesn't light up you're good.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 11:49   #156
BANNED

Quote:
Did you do the clutch replacement as well?
Nope, the clutch replacement has been put off as my friend would only be in the country for a few more days and wanted to drive the car as much as he could before returning.

The plan is that after dropping him at the airport I'll handover the car to the ASC for clutch replacement, would raise issues at TKM as advised, lets see if its any better than the Maruti Suzuki ASC's.

OT:

Speaking of the MS ASC, called them up for an oil change and they blindly quoted 4k for the same on my G10B Zen, IIRC Oil and Filter costs about 1.5k.

Quote:
That bit about the cause of those error codes was amusing. As long as the CEL doesn't light up you're good.
CEL doesn't light up, which is the only solace I find in this case.
Old 29th March 2019, 11:28   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

^^

Just a suggestion.

You could even buy the OEM clutch set( Cover plus disc plus release bearing) for approx 9k from the dealership and have it fitted at your FNG.
Old 29th March 2019, 12:00   #158
Senior - BHPian

I am into my 13th year of Toyota Corolla H4 (auto) bought in March 2007 and so far it has been great. Only problem is that I will have to replace it in March 22 on expiry of 15 years. Such a loss. I am sure it can go on for another 7-8 years with only periodic spare parts replacement and service. But environment comes first. Secondly, for such an old model, spare parts are not in stock and it can take 3-4 days for parts to arrive from Bangalore, installed, and car delivered to me.

Quote:
Toyota's ASC questionable? TKM needs to be informed. They'll give them the stick. Did you do the clutch replacement as well?

TKM after sales service has declined somewhat but is still a lot better than on my 2015 Honda City. I would say that building a personal relationship with the service managers and visiting them periodically solves a lot of problems. If all else fails, write to Toyota and wait for the fireworks. Works every time. Unlike Honda where you write, they contact you, take feedback, apologise, but not much happens at the dealers' end.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st April 2019 at 07:02. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts, made within the 30 mins Edit window.
Old 29th March 2019, 12:09   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
TKM after sales service has declined somewhat but is still a lot better than on my 2015 Honda City. I would say that building a personal relationship with the service managers and visiting them periodically solves a lot of problems. If all else fails, write to Toyota and wait for the fireworks. Works every time. Unlike Honda where you write, they contact you, take feedback, apologise, but not much happens at the dealers' end.
Very true. And speaking as a former Honda owner who had contacted Honda India (then Honda SIEL), I will always prefer a T to a H.

These two companies make similar vehicles (except Toyota's range is wider) and the only thing that differentiates them from the other in the long term is after sales where Toyota is miles ahead.
Old 29th March 2019, 12:20   #160
Senior - BHPian

This is off topic but I have a Corolla 2007 and a City 2015. Honda's service is 5000 km which is just an excuse to make money. What really caused me a lot of distress in recent months was an accidental repair in Feb 2018. Honda sees accidental repairs as an excuse to bilk the insurance company and the customer (in case of no zero dep).

More than that, the car went to the dealer on 31.1.2019, estimate prepared, and surveyor notified. Surveyor approved claim in 1.2.2019. However, the work started on 6.2.2019. Reason: parts procurement and delivery from Honda Greater Noida to Honda Patparganj (<50 kms) takes 4-5 days because of `procedures'. Wrote to Honda, got a call, gave feedback, got apology and promise of expeditious action, but saved not even 1 hour. So work started on 6.2.2019 with promise of delivery by 10.2.2019. On 10.2.2019, they said that some more work/damage had been discovered (which was undiscovered till then), and so delivery on 11.2.2019. On 11.2.2019, some more discoveries and postponed to 12.2.2019. More discoveries on 12.2.2019 but fortunately resolved on 12.2.2019. Then car was ready but insurer had to approve it. So finally got delivery on 13.2.2019. Total of 6 days from giving to workshop and getting work started, and 7 days to complete the work. However, the service manager did send me a feedback form on job completion with the request to give him 10/10. !!!.

At 3rd party workshops, I could have got the job done in 4-5 days and at lower cost (I had no zero dep).
Old 31st March 2019, 17:52   #161
BANNED

Quote:
^^

Just a suggestion.

You could even buy the OEM clutch set( Cover plus disc plus release bearing) for approx 9k from the dealership and have it fitted at your FNG.
God! I had no idea the entire clutch only costs 9k, the quoted price for chance at ASC was 20k.

Would order the spare from Bodomo and get it repalced at FNG.

Thanks!
Old 18th June 2019, 22:12   #162
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

It’s been a long time since the thread has been updated. I don’t use the Corolla that often. The overall usage has reduced too. My dad takes it out on sunday’s & my brother uses it occasionally. The car did one Nasik trip a few months back with my parents. Finally the car has crossed the 100k kms mark.

Recently on Sunday, I had to go to Ahmednagar in the Afternoon to pick up my grandmother. It was just me and dad so we decided to take the Corolla. We have been thinking of replacing it for a while especially since dad has moved back to India. During the drive the discussion reached a point where we were convinced to retain the Corolla for 3-4 years more because-

1. It doesn’t see daily usage unlike before. Monthly running doesn’t cross 500KMs unless a highway trip is involved.
2. Safety is covered, comfort is top notch and space is in abundance. Engine doesn’t feel outdated. Only if it had an AT and automatic climate control, I would have never bothered with the upgrade.
3. The only logical upgrade I find is the Crysta AT or a used Fortuner AT. Not too keen on Germans as this car is primarily used by my parents & they travel to places at times where svc’s are scarce. Plus overall peace of mind is unmatched with a Toyota. The new Gx 2.8 crysta is about 20L OTR and a decent used 4x4 AT Fortuner is in the similar range(I can never consider a Fortuner 4x2 AT, the 2wd t-fort just doesn’t cut it for me). Spending 20L for a car which won’t do more than 5-6k kms/ year doesn’t make sense.

So after these discussions, we have decided to get a few things done with the Corolla. Mainly the interiors- seat covers and door pads. Rest mechanically the car is fine. 2-3 panels might need a repaint and we are good to go for another 3-4 years. Will speak to our FNG- The mechanix automotive for all this work and get a service done too. The Corolla is too difficult to replace.
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-f26a12158921405884e35b85105083eb.jpeg

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-b3c0c2e661674b3eb2346b1578103498.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meccanico View Post
Our H2 will complete 13 years next month. Just above 85k on the odo and still going solid. The power is surprisingly still there. I love this car too much. One of the last good looking Corollas in my opinion.

We really need to go for a drive when Im back, @asit.kulkarni93
Sorry I missed this post. Let me know when you are in town. Let’s go for a drive.

Quote:
Got my hands on a 2003 Toyota Corolla 1.8E for 1.85 Lakhs, she's pristine at 55k on the odo and the previous owner(passed away) was an enthusiast who took exceptionally good care of the car, that is until maintained by his family which is evident from the Chinese tires on all 4 wheels.
Congratulations! That’s a great find.

Last edited by ampere : 18th June 2019 at 23:02. Reason: back to back posts merged
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 23:12   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Update

Since the addition of the Figo, the usage of the Corolla has gone down.
Hello Asit,

I think I spotted you/your car at Pune Airport this morning around 9:45. I was in my blue W124, in case you noticed.

I saw the car that immediately remembered this thread.
Old 1st July 2019, 07:10   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Hello Asit,

I think I spotted you/your car at Pune Airport this morning around 9:45. I was in my blue W124, in case you noticed.

I saw the car that immediately remembered this thread.
Hey,

My dad had taken the car to the airport to drop my brother. Had I been there I would have definitely noticed one of my favourite cars. If you are based in Pune, Let’s catchup. I would love to see your W124.
Old 10th September 2019, 10:11   #165
BHPian

Altis gang - What good Halogen bulbs to use in High + Low beam? Or a combination of LED and Halogen?

I believe that from a purely utilitarian point, Halogens are better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks