Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2018, 13:24   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
See this video, if it can be of any help.
Yep, I've seen this and other YT videos. But note he uses a genuine Toyota key blank

That's where the crux of the matter lies as the genuine ones are expensive and according to the dealer one has to prove ownership of the car before TKM/dealer will provide you with one. Given the way dishonesty is widespread here I can't blame TKM for taking precautions to ascertain identity. Kind of similar to proving ones identity for a replacement mobile SIM card.

Hope this programming procedure works with Toyota's Indian models too.
Old 9th March 2018, 10:38   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Yes 3rd party will certainly be much cheaper. The price at the ASC is between 5-10K which is why I said it's quite costly.

I wish I had read this earlier. My original Corolla key is not being used from 2013 because of key breakage. Am using the spare key since then with no remote door open/close. This is a 11 year old car and still going strong. Did not buy a new key because Toyota quoted 10K approx in 2013-14.
Old 9th March 2018, 11:00   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
My original Corolla key is not being used from 2013 because of key breakage.
You could go with the blanks available online + transponder chip from the damaged key. Should not cost over 1k for the blank + cutting.
Old 9th March 2018, 11:03   #109
Senior - BHPian

Can you guide on PM. My H4 Corolla automatic completed 11 years yesterday (92000 km on odo) and I plan to keep it for some more years.
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:33   #110
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

So the car hasn’t been driven much since the last update. The front two shock absorbers were replaced as the front left shocker which took a major hit during the pothole incident on the mpew had developed a leak. Got the gas filled Monroe struts. The car is now running on 5w40 shell synthetic engine oil. Oil Filter was the one I got from Bahrain. Finally reached the 90k milestone. So that is approximately 44k kms in 2 years and 5 months. As I am traveling to Bahrain in April, The car won’t be driven much. Hoping to cross the 100k kms mark soon.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-15b26fe764884d6085ee279fc7394252.jpeg
Added the VVT-i badge. Got it from aliexpress.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-6808c1543fb6424397db092888096b7b.jpeg
Wash + Wax + Chromed front again.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-68c9c50089ff4a2292a9490960bb6064.jpeg
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 08:26   #111
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

1. The car hasn't run much since the last update. As of today, the ODO is at 93148 KMs. That's 3k KMs in the last 3 months. Most of it was done within Pune, Just one Mumbai and Nashik trip.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-6a4d7ed79c584777bf769281f9acd72b.jpeg

2. The LED bulbs were changed to 4300K bulbs. The older 6000K bulbs were going well but then 4300K is always preferred. I have a few night drives scheduled in the next month, Will share the results and link of the product. Also, got a new set of headlights for the car.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img_8196.jpg
This pic is with the older headlamps.

3. On 5th June, I was heading towards Viman nagar. At the Yerwada bridge Junction, I was stuck in the traffic as usual. An Amaze came speeding and crashed into my car. The owner accepted his mistake and decided to pay up. I took a quote from my FNG and the owner paid up immediately. The paint matching was quite satisfactory.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img2542.jpg
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-fe335af0d2ef40ea9010acb7023fa16e.jpeg
After the repaint

4. A Mumbai trip was done in the last week of May to pick up my parents from the Airport and a Nashik trip in the third of week of June. My parents took the car with my brother and I joined them later in the night as I had to get a different car to Nashik. The overall FE for the Mumbai trip was around 13kmpl thanks to the evening Mumbai traffic and relatively heavy foot on the e-way in the morning. The Nashik trip was much better and the car gave around 15 kmpl. It will be much better when the Rajgurunagar and Narayangaon by-pass are ready.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-b58fc16df2c74e06959b4363d651dfb0.jpeg
Somewhere on the Sangamner by-pass.

5. Planning to get new seat covers for the car and also considering getting a new windshield. It has got a lot of tiny scratches and even the new wiper blades don't function smoothly.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 10:43   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
considering getting a new windshield. It has got a lot of tiny scratches and even the new wiper blades don't function smoothly.
Should put you off by 11K. Got mine replaced at Windshield Experts last November.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 12:05   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Should put you off by 11K. Got mine replaced at Windshield Experts last November.

Claiming insurance for the replacement. It will cost me around 2.7k including the compulsory deductible and the cost of sealant. Had got the quote a month back but couldn't get the work done. Will get it done soon.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 19:45   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
3. On 5th June, I was heading towards Viman nagar. At the Yerwada bridge Junction, I was stuck in the traffic as usual. An Amaze came speeding and crashed into my car. The owner accepted his mistake and decided to pay up. I took a quote from my FNG and the owner paid up immediately. The paint matching was quite satisfactory.
How much did it cost to fix the dent and get the bumper repainted?
Old 16th July 2018, 18:14   #115
BHPian

So all, so two issues with my 2006 Corolla.

1) This one started only two days back: When I start the car in the morning, after it has sat through the night, it will take two attempts before the car starts. First attempt, it gives a screeching sound as if we are trying to turn on the ignition with an already running engine. Car starts fine in the second or third try. Surprisingly, the car starts fine throughout the day. Is the starter on its way out? Or has to do with cold engine, being monsoon and all ? A quick googling says, many Toyota Corolla owners have experienced this.

2) AC : AC throws cold air only when running at speeds above 40kmph. It does not throw cold air at idling speeds and during city speeds. Any ideas?
Old 16th July 2018, 18:19   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Surprisingly, the car starts fine throughout the day. Is the starter on its way out? Or has to do with cold engine, being monsoon and all ? A quick googling says, many Toyota Corolla owners have experienced this.
This looks to be a starter problem. I suspect the pinion gear assembly needs lubing.

Quote:
2) AC : AC throws cold air only when running at speeds above 40kmph. It does not throw cold air at idling speeds and during city speeds. Any ideas?
Probably needs a gas top up. Check the gas pressure and for any AC system leaks. Also check the serpentine belt for any damage.
Old 17th July 2018, 09:20   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So all, so two issues with my 2006 Corolla.

I am just hazarding a guess here: can you get the condenser checked and cleaned if possible/needed?

When the car is in motion the condenser, situated right next to the radiator, receives a blow of fresh airfrom the front grill. This air cools the refrigerant down from gas to liquid, which in turn flows back to the cabin, absorbs the heat and turns into gas again.

At speeds of 40kmph the airflow will increase and will cool the refrigerant down as expected, but at low speeds it might not be sufficient to do so.

So maybe the condenser needs a look.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 09:26   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
First attempt, it gives a screeching sound as if we are trying to turn on the ignition with an already running engine.

1.Please get the starter serviced. The starter isn't engaging properly with the flywheel because the bendix isn't doing it's job properly. Unfortunately, opening, servicing, and boxing up the Bendix isn't easy. Please replace the Bendix if it's available.

2. For starters, please have your AC condenser washed with very low pressure spray and then see how the car performs.

At standstill, are you able to see better cooling with the engine running at, say, 2000rpm?If yes, then your system could be on slightly low refrigerant charge.

Last edited by vigsom : 17th July 2018 at 09:27.
Old 25th July 2018, 09:48   #119
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse

Update-

A lot has changed since my last update. I left for a Pune-Nashik-Dhule-Amalner-Nashik-Pune trip in the evening for some urgent work on the very same day. The car returned about 14.5kmpl during that trip. Post that it was used extensively in the city.

We finally sold our nano, fondly called as the "Baingan" within the Pune team bhp friends circle.
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1532491044.774929.jpg

The Baingan was replaced by a 2010 Ford Figo Titanium Diesel. I bought it from fellow Bhpian Nitrogary.
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1532491283.326909.jpg

Baby's first day out-
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1532491341.577223.jpg

And the workhorse had a guest, it's elder sibling-
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1532491422.599570.jpg

It also happens to be a J variant 2010 Altis. Listing down a few comparisons-

1. The Altis has a very comfortable ride. Body roll is well controlled. Although the slightly stiff setup in my car makes high speed stability much better.

2. The steering felt pretty numb. The EPS although is pretty light in the city but not very communicative. My Corolla's HPS felt much better.

3. The interior layout and features like height adjustable driver seat make it a pretty good combo for the base variant.

4. The seats felt much more comfortable than my car.

5. Absence of airbags and Alloy wheels. Although ABS is there. I am glad they have standardized it now.

Overall from a family sedan's usage the Altis felt much better.

The workhorse taking rest outside our house in Amalner-
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1532492162.437006.jpg

Now the usage of the Corolla will be pretty low as the Figo will be taking charge as the workhorse.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 25th July 2018 at 09:49.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 10:14   #120
BHPian

Hi Asit, very well kept Corolla there. Mine is a 2008 Corolla J. Single hand, driven by me.
I also plan to keep it till it goes. Recently replaced the rear shock absorbers for 12k, planning to replace the front too. Can you please share the cost of front shock absorbers which you got. Also which LED's did you replace?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th July 2018 at 10:51. Reason: ups > absorbers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks