Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2019, 10:42   #166
BHPian

re: Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!

Hello All,

I purchased a used Corolla Altis D4DG in November 2018 with 100000 km on the odometer, and I simply love the car (Attaching pictures here).

However there is something which has been bothering me, every trip to the service centre is a rather rude shock. The prices of all spares are incredibly high and do not seem justified, for example the Disc Brake Pads cost more than Rs. 8000, whereas for the Etios the pads come at Rs. 2800, and Bosch disc pads can be had at Rs. 1500 or so. This same theme is there for all the parts.

The car I got seems to be in great shape, except for issues with the AC, which I have shared in another thread.

There is the headlight washer which is not operational on the driver side due to the actuator getting damaged and the service centre has quoted Rs. 11000 for the same. Is there some other place where I can get this part?

Also, I would like to get the music head unit changed as I have got a CD stuck in the old one, and I wanted one that can play from a USB drive or bluetooth. Are there market replacements that will still work with the steering wheel buttons?

Another issue I have is that I have just one key for the car, which is not the master Key. The service centre has told me that replacing the ECU is the only option at this point, and each new key will cost Rs. 2100, and a new remote will cost Rs. 5000. are there any other options?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img20181019wa0000.jpg  

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img20181019wa0002.jpg  

Old 17th October 2019, 12:04   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
Hello All,

However there is something which has been bothering me, every trip to the service centre is a rather rude shock. The prices of all spares are incredibly high and do not seem justified, for example the Disc Brake Pads cost more than Rs. 8000, whereas for the Etios the pads come at Rs. 2800, and Bosch disc pads can be had at Rs. 1500 or so. This same theme is there for all the parts.

Also, I would like to get the music head unit changed as I have got a CD stuck in the old one, and I wanted one that can play from a USB drive or bluetooth. Are there market replacements that will still work with the steering wheel buttons?

Another issue I have is that I have just one key for the car, which is not the master Key. The service centre has told me that replacing the ECU is the only option at this point, and each new key will cost Rs. 2100, and a new remote will cost Rs. 5000. are there any other options?

Thank you
I own a 2011 (2008-2011 model) 1.8V with 107xxx in the odo which was purchased in April 2019.

1. Toyota sells spare parts through their select service centers across India. You can purchase the parts from them and get it done in your known FNG. Else I suggest you can buy Bosch pads and get it changed.

2. You can very much change the music system. if yours is a similar model year as mine, you can fit a 9 inch music system comfortably (which has BT, WiFi, FM radio, GPS, Reverse Camera, Google Play store, etc,.). I have changed the same and purchased the system and panel from Aliexpress. Available across budget. Mine worked out to be around 10k excluding fitment charges.

3. My car came with only one key with a company remote. When I enquired at Toyota, the cost for the same was quoted at Rs.10k.
I did manage to make a duplicate key without remote, which works flawlessly. I use it regularly and the cost was only Rs. 1500.
vasanthjn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 21:03   #168
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Got my hands on a 2003 Toyota Corolla 1.8E for 1.85 Lakhs, she's pristine at 55k on the odo....

Attachment 1861798
Unfortunately she is with us no more.

She met with a gruesome accident and even though she ensured her crew walked out without much hassles she couldn't make it out herself.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20190930-12.35.37-pm.jpeg

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20190930-12.35.36-pm.jpeg

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20190930-12.35.38-pm.jpeg

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-whatsapp-image-20190930-12.35.38-pm-1.jpeg

A true warrior till the end, she would be dearly missed.

Respectfully,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 09:11   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

She met with a gruesome accident and even though she ensured her crew walked out without much hassles she couldn't make it out herself.
Glad that the occupants are safe.
Do you mind sharing what went wrong?
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 10:33   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Glad that the occupants are safe.
Do you mind sharing what went wrong?
While returning from an inter district run at night she collided head on with an interstate tourist bus.

She had 4 occupants, my friend and his sister at the back and his parents at the front, she was being driven by my friend's father who is a professional driver and holder of an international driving permit.

The tourist bus in question was from TN visiting KL for a get together, they had a dozen(literally, not a ballpark figure)auxiliary lights up front, the glare from which dazzled my friend's father and since they were both at speed, the whole thing was over before he could comprehend the situation at hand.

After the fact we did contemplate getting her rebuilt but after consulting with several ASC's and reputed FNG's from around Kerala we finally had to live with the fact that she was beyond repair.

So we scrapped her and got 40k for the ordeal.

The car had 3rd party cover insurance.

My friend's family is smitten by the Corolla and the last thing he wanted of me when I dropped him at the airport was to search for a similar Corolla and buy one irrespective of the district or state it is from as long as it's a well maintained low mileage specimen.

So my search continues.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 25th October 2019 at 10:34.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 22:52   #171
Senior - BHPian

Final Update

So a fellow Bhpian’s Laura 1.9 TDi (facelift) was up for sale and I decided to pick it up. Will be keeping it for 3-4 years till the whole BS6 chaos is clear. Unfortunately the Corolla had to go. The buyer gave the token today and will be taking the car post Diwali holidays. We had decided to retain the car but a diesel was needed so had to let go of the Corolla. This Laura was known so the change was decided. This generation of the Corolla was indeed the best. Drove well and was very practical. Will surely miss this car on our long drives.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-1eb96657e10d417e976fa08a10a82a0f.jpeg

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-115d42aed1ae4bb6bbeeec37271d6a1f.jpeg

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-ee118c62d9604d67b54889b9848b4cea.jpeg
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 23:06   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Final Update

So a fellow Bhpian’s Laura 1.9 TDi (facelift) was up for sale and I decided to pick it up. Will be keeping it for 3-4 years till the whole BS6 chaos is clear. Unfortunately the Corolla had to go. The buyer gave the token today and will be taking the car post Diwali holidays. We had decided to retain the car but a diesel was needed so had to let go of the Corolla. This Laura was known so the change was decided. This generation of the Corolla was indeed the best. Drove well and was very practical. Will surely miss this car on our long drives.

Attachment 1927442

Attachment 1927443

Attachment 1927444
You are giving up on a reliable workhorse for a less reliable but more fun to drive Laura.

It is such a metaphor to our generation. We all are out for some fun, compromising for lesser reliability as each drive shall etch in our memories till we live and not own cars which may outlive us.

Congrats and thank you for such a detailed and verbose ownership of Corolla.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 09:57   #173
BHPian

Thank you for this thread, Asit.

I have read and re-read this several times over the last 3 years after I brought home a 2007 Corolla and although I have ended up spending more on replacement of parts than the car itself, I feel it is still good value considering what is available in the market at more than twice the total cost.

I am very happy with the way the car is running. It feels like a 2-3 year old car mechanically and I have taken the advice of R2D2 and have stuck to Toyota service and parts only and will continue to do so.

I am quite optimistic that it can pamper us for at least another 4-5 years if the RTO doesn't require it to be taken off the roads.

Congratulations on your new ride! Reliability aside, the Octavia is the only car which not only comes close but also trumps the Corolla is some areas according to me.
Old 11th November 2019, 19:04   #174
BHPian

Quote:

Very sorry to hear about the ordeal, but glad that all occupants were safe.

Quote:
Final Update

So a fellow Bhpian’s Laura 1.9 TDi (facelift) was up for sale and I decided to pick it up. Will be keeping it for 3-4 years till the whole BS6 chaos is clear. Unfortunately the Corolla had to go.
Interesting to see Corolla exchanged for a Laura. May I ask, why you did not consider a lower City or Verna instead of Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
I have read and re-read this several times over the last 3 years after I brought home a 2007 Corolla and although I have ended up spending more on replacement of parts than the car itself, I feel it is still good value considering what is available in the market at more than twice the total cost.

I am very happy with the way the car is running. It feels like a 2-3 year old car mechanically and I have taken the advice of R2D2 and have stuck to Toyota service and parts only and will continue to do so.

I am quite optimistic that it can pamper us for at least another 4-5 years if the RTO doesn't require it to be taken off the roads.
Congratulations on the Corolla. Take care of her and she will love you back. I believe it is 2007 + 15 = 2022, simply.

The equation is clear. Corolla / Altis = R2D2 sir. He is the God when it comes to these two cars.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 19:15   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Interesting to see Corolla exchanged for a Laura. May I ask, why you did not consider a lower City or Verna instead of Laura?
After experiencing a D1 segment sedan it’s impossible to go down to a C2 segment sedan. Either a D2 segment sedan or a Lateral upgrade within the D1 segment makes sense. Even if I were to get something from the C2 segment sedan it never would be the Honda City or Hyundai Verna. Honda city IMHO is over rated especially the ivtec with poor low end performance and Verna with its not so confident handling and low rear headroom can never be an option for a Corolla owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
Thank you for this thread, Asit.

Congratulations on your new ride! Reliability aside, the Octavia is the only car which not only comes close but also trumps the Corolla is some areas according to me.
Congratulations on your Corolla. This generation of the Corolla is amazing. I would have retained mine if I had an extra parking space. This is one car which does everything perfectly. Comfortable, reliable and quick too.

On the service front, I stick to Toyota for oil and filters. For suspension related components I prefer the after market options. Based on my experience I would suggest get the Monroe gas filled struts for the corolla. It’s got the perfect stiffness. Pretty comfortable and won’t sag under load. Conti’s on my corolla were simply amazing. 205 upgrade is good but I think it’s manageable with 195’s if you don’t drive very aggressively. Parts like drive shafts and steering racks can be overhauled at an FNG. Toyota charges a bomb for the same. Although I never needed the steering rack to be overhauled but I had got the drive shafts done due to a torn boot. Please make sure that the strut mount and plate are original. Find a good FNG and this car will be cheaper than a Hyundai i20 in the long run.

Last edited by ajmat : 11th November 2019 at 20:55.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 17:46   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post

Congratulations on the Corolla. Take care of her and she will love you back. I believe it is 2007 + 15 = 2022, simply.

The equation is clear. Corolla / Altis = R2D2 sir. He is the God when it comes to these two cars.
Thanks, Swapnil!

I have made notes on points mentioned by R2D2. I simply open that on my phone when I'm giving the car for service.

Quote:
Congratulations on your Corolla. This generation of the Corolla is amazing. I would have retained mine if I had an extra parking space. This is one car which does everything perfectly. Comfortable, reliable and quick too.

On the service front, I stick to Toyota for oil and filters. For suspension related components I prefer the after market options. Based on my experience I would suggest get the Monroe gas filled struts for the corolla. It’s got the perfect stiffness. Pretty comfortable and won’t sag under load. Conti’s on my corolla were simply amazing. 205 upgrade is good but I think it’s manageable with 195’s if you don’t drive very aggressively. Parts like drive shafts and steering racks can be overhauled at an FNG. Toyota charges a bomb for the same. Although I never needed the steering rack to be overhauled but I had got the drive shafts done due to a torn boot. Please make sure that the strut mount and plate are original. Find a good FNG and this car will be cheaper than a Hyundai i20 in the long run.

Thanks, Asit! Will keep these points in mind. I've replaced suspension just a couple of months back in my Corolla. Guess it'll be a few years before they would need attention again.

However, I've picked up a 2010 Altis just a couple of weeks back and will have to get suspension looked into soon. Can you help me with where I could find genuine Monroe parts?

Toyota service IS expensive. I'll have to look for an FNG in Bangalore where the suspension work can be carried out.
Old 5th May 2021, 20:26   #177
BANNED

Re: Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!

Hello all,
First of all apologies for barging in. i have a toyota corolla 1.8 E 2006 model, please does anyone in this forum have owner's manual of it?I mean the hard copy. I seem to have misplaced mine and would be grateful if someone would guide me to procure one.
P.S admin if found inappropiate please do post in the thread required, Thanks.
Old 5th May 2021, 22:26   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramhanshapal View Post
I seem to have misplaced mine and would be grateful if someone would guide me to procure one.
Procuring new may not be possible, either some one should giveaway or you should get it printed from the soft copy.

If you are looking for some specific data right now, I can help with scan copy.
Old 5th May 2021, 22:50   #179
BANNED

Thanks a lot. do you have the full manual scanned?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks