Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2017, 21:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img3627.jpg

September 2015-
We had a 2006 Maruti Suzuki WagonR LXi which was purchased in 2013. Why the need for a change?

1. When we had got the Wagonr our usage was mostly within the city but since August 2015 things had changed. We were doing a lot of highway driving and the absence of safety features in the WagonR wasn’t very confidence inspiring during these trips.
2. Dad had clearly said in 2013 that the WagonR would be around till he was confident about my driving. In close to 1.8 years I had already clocked 26k kms with the WagonR. So the change was much needed.

Requirements Now-
1. Dual Airbags and ABS.
2. Preferably a Sedan or a tall boy hatchback.
3. Petrol/Diesel.
4. No VAG’s.
5. Budget- On a used car we were comfortable spending up to 4-4.25L and on a new car up to 8.5L.

Options Considered-

1. Used Honda City/Toyota Corolla/Honda Civic/Maruti Suzuki SX4 (Petrol)
2. Used Ford Figo/Fiesta (Diesel)
3. New Maruti Suzuki Ritz ZDi

1. I saw a Honda City ZX and was impressed with the interior quality and overall comfort. But the engine was underpowered and absence of safety features kept the ZX away. I barely came across any ZX Vtec+. A few I-vtecs were available in my budget but the low GC got me worried.

2. I had checked out one Honda Civic and the poor low-end torque and the soft suspension kept me away. Considering a few drives that I have taken in the last two years I am glad I didn’t get the Civic. One thing I love about this car is the Design. Timeless!

3. I have always liked the SX4 for the package it offers and I was keen on the VVT ZXi. Most of the cars available in the market were the pre-VVT versions. One 2011 car that I decided to check over a weekend was sold off immediately.

4. Most of the Figo/Fiesta diesels I came across were either the lower variants without ABS or Airbags or the top end variants with multiple owners/high ODO readings. I was fine getting a Diesel car under 75k kms. In fact, I was even ready to sacrifice on the Airbags and needed a car just with ABS but didn’t come across any good examples.

5. We were considering the new Ritz since Feb but a flat purchase in Pune postponed it. I really loved the package that the ZDi offered. Dad liked it too but the Maruti dealer in Pune was offering a very low buyback value for our WagonR. I decided to check the prices in Dhule, Nashik & Jalgaon before Navratri but then the Ritz wasn’t in my fate. I still like it though and would definitely pick up a Used ZDi whenever the need arises.

6. This particular Corolla was owned by a retired senior employee with the Idea group. He was staying in my friend's apartment complex and even I had seen this car a couple of times. I test drove this Corolla the first time when my friend mentioned that the owner is planning to upgrade. The price quoted was too high, I asked my father to speak with the owner and negotiate. Unfortunately, the owner didn’t budge below 3.35L. As the shradh paksh had already started I was exploring other options. One fine day he messaged my dad and asked about our decision. My dad gave him our final price and he agreed.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-2.jpg

So I had 5 days in hand before I could take the delivery. A few details about the car-

2007 Toyota Corolla 1.8 H1 J, 46k kms done, Second owner on paper but used by a single person.
After transferring the amount to the seller's account I requested him to let me get the car serviced. During the service, we realized two of the Shockers had developed a small leak. So I decided to get all the 4 shocks replaced. A thorough service and shocker replacement set me back by 21k. We went in for the Monroe struts, I regret not going in for the Monroe gas struts. Anyway, I took the delivery and the Pooja was done. My parking is really small and I had a tough time adjusting it in our parking.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-1.jpg

So what do I like-
1. Elegant design.
2. Amazing engine+Gearbox combination.
3. The interior space and overall comfort. Boot is huge!
4. Dual Airbags & ABS even on the base variant
5. Interior quiality
6. Decent balance between ride and handling.
7. The usable Ground Clearance
8. Chiller AC.
9. Hydraulic steering which weighs up pretty well at highway speeds.

What do I miss on the J variant(which is important to me)-
1. Adjustable driver seat height & lumbar support.
2. Rear Armrest.
3. Fog lamps
4. Automatic Climate Control

What do I dislike about the car-
1. The absence of a 6th gear.
2. Body roll.

Exterior-

It doesn’t have a sporty design like the Civic or Cedia but it is elegant. I especially love what Toyota has done at the rear with the LED tail lamps. It looks brilliant. The stance may not be very good thanks to the high GC. A 205/60 R16 setup should reduce the gap in the rear wheel well. But MH roads won't permit that upgrade.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-4.jpg

Interior

Spacious interiors which can seat 5 adults in comfort. Even with the front seats pushed all the way back my brother who is 6’1 can comfortably sit on the rear seat. Soft touch dashboard is one thing which I really love. Plastics are there at the lower part of the dashboard but are way better than the current gen Altis. This being the J variant it doesn’t get any wooden inserts. I hate beige interiors and given a choice I would go full black. In fact, if I retain this car beyond 2018 then I am sure going ahead with the change.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-unnamed-1.jpg

Engine and Gearbox

The low-end torque is brilliant. In fact, the gear ratios and the overall torque delivery makes driving it easy around the town. Out on the highways if speeds drop below 65kmph then only do you need to downshift otherwise it can effortlessly pull in the 5th gear. The gearshift is smooth, gates are defined and the throws are precise not too long nor too short. The mid-range is strong which is helpful on the highways but I miss the 6th gear. It would keep the engine relaxed on highway drives.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-unnamed.jpg

Ride and Handling-

Toyota had improved the suspension on the facelifted Corolla in 2005. My car runs on the Monroe stock replacement setup which are slightly stiff which is felt in the city but out on the highways, it is very planted. I have taken the car to unmentionable speeds and it felt rock solid. Body roll is noticeable due to the high GC but I am not complaining, You cant have your cake and eat it too. On the handling aspect, the car never feels nervous around corners, in fact, its fun to drive in those typical Indian ghats. I am running on Falken Sincera’s 195/60 R15. I got a very good deal on them and have clocked over 20k kms with them. For the price, I paid they are fantastic. They do their job well in our driving conditions. But I regret not going in for 205’s.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-unnamed-2.jpg

Safety-

It’s a well-built car. In fact better than the current gen Corolla’s. Even at the 10-year mark/83k kms there aren’t any rattles

Upkeep-

Today the ODO is nearing 83k kms and it would complete 2 years on 15th October 2017. So here are some aspects regarding the ownership-
1. Front rotors and brake pads replaced at 54k kms.
2. Tyre replaced at 56k kms. Falken Sincera 195/60 R15. Got a great deal on them. Regret not going in for 205’s.
3. Clutch overhaul at 70k kms.
4. Drive Shafts replaced at 75k kms
5. Front Strut mounts replaced at 80k kms. This was an aftermath of two tires which went burst at 64k kms on the eway. It has been documented here- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4098750

Trips-

1. Numerous trips to Mumbai
2. Monthly trips to Dhule.
3. In 2017 I have started visiting Nashik every month.
4. Ahmedabad in 2016.
5. Harihareshwar in 2016
6. RJ trip across Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh in 2017.
7. Numerous trips around Pune with fellow bhpians.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-rj2.jpg
Enroute Jaisalmer

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img4824.jpg
Somehwhere on NH-50

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-rj-trip.jpg
At Jodhpur

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-12993345_10207610970486403_3265262914721625442_n.jpg
At Nashik Phata

Accidents-

1. My brother scratched the rear left door & fender while taking the car out of our parking. Decided to get both the bumpers repainted at the same time.

2. On my way to Vadodara, I had a small accident near Surat. An i10 decided to jump from the 3rd lane to the 1st lane on a flyover and decided to brake hard to slow down for an expansion joint. I braked hard but couldn’t stop in time and bumped into his car. My car had a few scratches on the bumper and a slightly misaligned Bonnet which was taken care of at Vadodara the same evening. The i10 had a damaged bumper & boot. I was surprised the way my car took the impact.

3. Dad was on his way to my brother’s college and near kk market, Bibwewadi when a kid on his modified Dio deiced to swing across the only one lane available minus the wrong side riders. In all this, he managed to crash into our cars bumper. The bumper had tiny scratches.

Kitna Deti Hai-

1. In the city, it gives me around 11-12kmpl with AC on all the time. The maximum I have got is 15kmpl but that was during a few relaxed midnight drives. The lowest was 9kmpl during a Mumbai trip which involved a lot of driving on the western expressway.

2. Out on the highways I usually get 14-15kmpl but with a light foot, I have managed 16-18kmpl. The lowest on the highways was 13kmpl but that involved a lot of aggressive driving and redlining. The fuel efficiency has been fantastic for a 1.8L NA engine.

Accessories added or changes done-

1. A simple Pioneer double din head unit which could let me play through a USB.
2. The rear speakers were changed. They have been with us for the last 10 years. They were used in our Tercel and RAV4 in Bahrain and the Wagonr before finally going into the Corolla. The quality is really good as certified by a few audiophile friends. I am really keen on getting components and an amplifier. Will do by the end of this year.
3. Headlamps were smoked black in-house and a projector setup(with halogens) was added in 2017. All that was removed after my Rajasthan trip and I got the stock headlamps with LED bulbs installed. Pretty happy with this setup. But I miss the smoked effect.
4. I hate chrome so the car’s grille and mirrors were wrapped in black. Maybe I need to get it redone as the wrap is coming out at some places.
5. Foglamps were added in 2017.

How’s the Toyota experience?

Normally our car visits an FNG which is owned by a friend but on a few occasions, it has visited DSK Toyota and Rathod Toyota. The experience with DSK Toyota was fantastic, sad to see that they had to shut their shop. The Rathod Toyota incident was an interesting experience. On my way to Vadodara, I found a slight wobble in the steering wheel above 80kmph. I had got the balancing done just before the trip but at a local tyre shop thanks to DSK Toyota shutting down. After Vasai my brother drove the car and confirmed the wobble. I had read about Rathod Toyota on Karan’s Fortuner thread and decided to give them a call. They confirmed my appointment. I drove to their showroom which was on the highway. My parents and brother decided to relax and they were comfortable at the dealership. Immediately a job card was opened and after a test drive, the mechanic confirmed an issue with the balancing. So after 55 minutes which involved a cup of tea, 2 trials and one TD of the Crysta 2.4 our car was ready. It was superb the way Rathod Toyota responded. The staff was courteous. I think my next car for outstation trips will be another Toyota. Dealership experience across cities has been fantastic as reported on the forum and fellow owners too.

Conclusion-

1. Before July 2016 the Corolla was the only car at home and it took my mom to the gullies of shanivar peth to my dad on our farm to me on numerous highways or was doing the regular Mumbai airport trips. It has been the perfect all-rounder and I couldn’t ask for more. Since July 2016 we have added a Nano to our garage and it has taken care of my brother’s college commute and our in-city runs.

2. The engine is balanced. I could cruise at 45kmph in the 5th gear or redline in the 3rd gear at insane speeds. It manages to put a smile on my face.

3. Cost of spares is cheap so the upkeep doesn’t dent your wallet.

4. With the rising fuel costs (Almost Rs.82/L) I had decided to convert this car to CNG/LPG or get a used diesel car. After a lot of discussion with Dad, Bhpian YCJ, Bhpian blackswap & a friend(Also the owner of the FNG where the car goes for all its repairs) I decided to stick to petrol for now due to unavailability of CNG outside Mumbai & Pune. Honestly, the only diesel cars I would want to replace my Corolla with would be the Innova or the Fortuner. Those cars may take some time. The increasing usage can be taken care of with the replacement of the Tata Nano which has been performing well but the dealership experience has been horrible.

5. This car connects with me which is important at the end of the day.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img7170.jpg
Enroute Dhule from Nashik

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img4618.jpg
On the way back to Pune from Ahmednagar

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img5362.jpg
With Bhpian YCJ's Abarth at Mulshi

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img6913.jpg
Enroute Tanot Mata Mandir

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-3.jpg
Somewhere in Mahabaleshwar

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img4830.jpg
At the Aquatint Detailing Studio

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img6341.jpg
With Bhpian //M's CR-V
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 21:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!

Good write up! Toyotas are known to be fuss free and long lasting. Almost all of the Toyota owners I know vouch for the service quality. If you travel extensively on the Indian Highways, a Toyota is the vehicle to do it in.

Feeling the pinch of high fuel prices, I have started to opt for other means of travel inside the city.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 21:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

No other Corolla on the forum has been shot as fashionably as yours, Asit.

A great buy at 46k kms but some of the maintenance that you've performed looked premature to me.

Having owned two Corollas ( one AT and one MT ), I can vouch for this car's FE and longevity.

Keep munching miles and sport smiles.
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 22:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Good write up! Toyotas are known to be fuss free and long lasting. Almost all of the Toyota owners I know vouch for the service quality. If you travel extensively on the Indian Highways, a Toyota is the vehicle to do it in.

Feeling the pinch of high fuel prices, I have started to opt for other means of travel inside the city.
Thanks blackswap. Totally agree with what you have said. The after-sales service is fantastic.
Thanks to the change in my brother's college timings, I get to use the Nano frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

A great buy at 46k kms but some of the maintenance that you've performed looked premature to me.

Having owned two Corollas ( one AT and one MT ), I can vouch for this car's FE and longevity.

Keep munching miles and sport smiles.
Thank you, sir. The drive shaft was totally unexpected. The suspension was a shocker for me too. But I am glad everything has been taken care of now I can use it peacefully.
Old 24th September 2017, 08:57   #5
BANNED

Beautiful and timeless design it is. Simple and ages well. Still turns heads when it passes by.

Fantastic and 'to the point' report Asit. Brilliant pictures to back the report.

Wish you happy miles on the Corolla.

EDIT:

Here's the excerpt from my Maruti Ertiga ZDi review. The Corolla was to be one of the final choice in the shortlist. Features allocation was a mess for the asking price:

Quote:
Now came the last choice the Corolla Altis. A very nice looking car with a reliable, trustworthy, peaceful ‘T’ badge to back you up at any time. The only grouse was the 1.4 D-4D engine that was plonked into it. Had I been given a chance I would have done a heart transplant with the 2.5L D-4D engine that is on the Innova. The car feels under-powered when coming from a 105 PS car. Nevertheless, the dealer gave us ample time to think and countless visits to decide on the variant, colour etc. The model we chose was the mid-variant that was coming down to 17L. The worst part here was it came with NO stereo head unit (but all 4 doors have in-built speakers), NO mud flaps, No floor mats, I was

Paying 1.7 million and such petty features are not included is a funny thing to hear

Last edited by a4anurag : 24th September 2017 at 09:03.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 09:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the Corolla. It ain't as sharp looking as some European sedans but heck this car will take you to the Moon and back without a fuss. If it is reliability you're looking for you've come to the right place.err..car.

Based on my ownership of 2 Corollas (9 and 10G) over a period of 11+ years I can tell you peace of mind equates a Toyota vehicle. TKM makes sure the customer is satisfied and this has been proven many times over in this period of time.

Even today, whenever I think of buying another car (read a famous EU marque) the service backup & support + reliability of my Toyotas make me think hard if it is really worth the heart burn of owning an EU car over the long term.

My Corolla Altis turns 9 in 2 weeks time and it has NEVER disappointed me. This one is a keeper even when I buy another vehicle.

Now, for some tips:

a) The engine oil. I can't stress on this enough. The 1ZZ-FE (used in the 9G and later the 10G Corolla Altis till 2011-12) is/was infamous for its propensity to develop sludge. So it is VERY important to change engine oil at regular, read yearly, intervals or 10K kms which ever is earlier.

Synthetic 5W-40 OR 5W-30 would be ideal but good quality mineral oil for example Shell Helix HX5, or the semi synthetic HX7, will do just fine. Synthetic is not required.

Spark plugs - only Denso or NGK. Fit the OEM Denso Iridium plugs if you can.

Oil and air filter only OEM Denso by choice. AF costs 900 bucks (increased from Rs 600-700) and OF costs 700 after taxes.

b) Genuine spares are the secret to longevity of your car.

c) DSK-T maintained my vehicles all these years and their jobs were the closest to perfect that I have seen in an ASC. Sadly they've closed down and Sharayu-T is overloaded which generally means less than perfect jobs. In a nutshell give the car to an ASC. Labor charges are reasonable and you get a neck to catch if something goes wrong. Try that with a FNG.

d) Pamper the car with a detailing session every 6-12 months. But I think you do pamper the car anyway.

e) Change the GB oil even if it is for life. I plan to fill Liqui Moly's synthetic GL4+ (GL4/GL5) which suits the C59 transaxle.

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th September 2017 at 09:53. Reason: added semi synth oil as option
R2D2 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 18:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Corolla: Our Pre-owned Workhorse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Beautiful and timeless design it is. Simple and ages well. Still turns heads when it passes by.
Here's the excerpt from my Maruti Ertiga ZDi review. The Corolla was to be one of the final choice in the shortlist. Features allocation was a mess for the asking price:

Thanks Anurag. I have never been a fan of the Altis Diesel thanks to the Engine. But it's a good option for those who want to get chauffeured. No stereo in a 17-Lakh Altis is shocking as my Corolla which inspite of being a base variant came with a CD+Casette player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Now, for some tips:

a) The engine oil. I can't stress on this enough. The 1ZZ-FE (used in the 9G and later the 10G Corolla Altis till 2011-12) is/was infamous for its propensity to develop sludge. So it is VERY important to change engine oil at regular, read yearly, intervals or 10K kms which ever is earlier.

Synthetic 5W-40 OR 5W-30 would be ideal but good quality mineral oil for example Shell Helix HX5, or the semi synthetic HX7, will do just fine. Synthetic is not required.

Spark plugs - only Denso or NGK. Fit the OEM Denso Iridium plugs if you can.

Oil and air filter only OEM Denso by choice. AF costs 900 bucks (increased from Rs 600-700) and OF costs 700 after taxes.

b) Genuine spares are the secret to longevity of your car.

e) Change the GB oil even if it is for life. I plan to fill Liqui Moly's synthetic GL4+ (GL4/GL5) which suits the C59 transaxle.

Thank you sir. When DSK Toyota was functional I made sure that I got the oil change + WA & WB done from them. Their service was exceptional. But since they have closed down I am sticking to my FNG which is owned by a friend so I am always assured about the work done. Currently I am on shell 15w40 mineral oil as my regular oil retailer didn't have 5w30/10w30. I did try 5w40 shell semi synthetic once out of no choice and honestly the car's FE went down. I really hope Toyota starts the online sale of spares in Pune, It will be easy for me to procure the filters. Currently I am relying on purolator but next time I will try to source the Denso filters. Replaced the spark plugs with NGK's. The gear oil was changed at 60k kms, I will replace it at 100k kms. Please let me know about your experience with liqui moly synthetic oil. Detailing is due since 5 months but the car has been continuously doing outstation trips so have put in hold now. Might do it sometime before Dussehra. Is your 10G Corolla the one with the 2ZZ-FE engine or the 1ZZ-FE?

-------------------------------------

Update-

Did a quick Mumbai trip today in the morning. Maintained speeds between 80-110kmph on the eway. Couldn't refill on my way back to check the FE as I was in hurry. But the fuel indicator has barely reached the 3/4th mark at 295kms. AC was on all the time. Since the oil change in the last week FE has definitely improved. The condition of the E-way is getting worse day by day.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506256818.334711.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th September 2017 at 08:51. Reason: Trimming quoted posts.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 19:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
since they have closed down I am sticking to my FNG which is owned by a friend so I am always assured about the work done.
Good if you can trust your FNG. Wish I had someone I could trust as much. My car's due for a service in Nov and I have made an appointment with Sharayu. I want to get the brake fluid changed. Lets see how it goes.

Quote:
Currently I am on shell 15w40 mineral oil as my regular oil retailer didn't have 5w30/10w30. I did try 5w40 shell semi synthetic once out of no choice and honestly the car's FE went down.
Shell's 5W-40 is Shell Helix Ultra synthetic. SHU has been my favorite oil since '09 though I'm planning to shift to M1 ESP 5W-30 this year. You may have used 10W-40 semi synthetic (HX7). If you have the budget and want to pamper the car/engine, try a synthetic oil, for example SHU, and you'll immediately note the difference

Quote:
I really hope Toyota starts the online sale of spares in Pune, It will be easy for me to procure the filters. Currently I am relying on purolator but next time I will try to source the Denso filters.
Toyota has been selling parts online http://www.toyotapartsconnect.in/

But this is another operation DSK-T's closure has affected. One could buy parts online and the delivery partner was DSK. Actually I never had to bother about spares all these years but this time I purchased spare oil filters from Boodmo and from Sharayu.

Dealers can sell consumable spares like filters, brake pads, wipers OTC provided you prove that you're an owner. So they may ask you for VIN/chassis # as they did with me.

Quote:
Please let me know about your experience with liqui moly synthetic oil. Is your 10G Corolla the one with the 2ZZ-FE engine or the 1ZZ-FE?
Yep, I'll share my experiences using a synthetic GB oil on TBHP for sure. My car is a 2008 Altis, one of the initial batches, with the 1ZZ-FE engine (in S and SE Asia) but the engine output bumped up to 97 KW/130 HP/132 PS compared with the 9G's 92 KW/123 HP/125 PS.

The new 2ZR-FE engine with dual VVT-i and another bump in output to 140 PS/103 KW/138 HP was introduced in the same 10G body (AKA E140) in 2011/12. The current generation is the 11G/E170.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 10:17   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From a WagonR to a Corolla - that's the perfect lateral upgrade.

Can't get more practicality from any sedan than a Corolla. And the prices these exchange hands for are an absolute steal. You get a lot of car for the money . Maintained well, she will serve you reliably for years to come. If I had <5 lakhs to spend on a car, I'd pick either a Civic, Corolla, Camry or Accord (depending on the usage). No other.

I've always liked the classic design of this generation. However, the interior quality was too cheap for a Toyota.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the owner didn’t budge below 3.35L. As the shradh paksh had already started I was exploring other options. One fine day he messaged my dad and asked about our decision. My dad gave him our final price and he agreed.
How much did you finally pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 10:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new ride!

This particular model of Corolla has an old world charm, a design which ages gracefully over time.

Get the car detailed, it will look stunning once a good helping of wax graces the metal.
You could do a DIY cleaning of the headlamps too, with toothpaste.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 11:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
From a WagonR to a Corolla - that's the perfect lateral upgrade.

How much did you finally pay?
Thanks GTO. We got the car for Rs. 3.10 Lakh including insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Congrats on your new ride!

This particular model of Corolla has an old world charm, a design which ages gracefully over time.

Get the car detailed, it will look stunning once a good helping of wax graces the metal.

You could do a DIY cleaning of the headlamps too, with toothpaste.

Thank you abhishek46. Detailing is due since 5 months, I probably do it around Dussehra. I did try the toothpaste method for the headlamp once and it did give good results maybe time do it again.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th September 2017 at 12:39. Reason: as requested
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 12:14   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride! You have picked up the most fun-to-drive generation of the Corolla sold in India to date. The big boot, comfortable interiors, basic features and reliability; make the Corolla one of the most practical car's to own.

Our Corolla was the first ever 'big car' I got to drive after getting my license. The way the car accelerated through the gears was addictive and the engine didn't mind being revved. High speed stability was also very impressive. At the same time driving it in city traffic was a breeze too.

One of the best things about owning a Toyota, is the peace of mind one has over reliability. We had a Qualis in our factory that had it's ODO stuck at around 4,35,000 kms and was still running without any trouble (no idea how much it had actually run after that point). All the owner needs to do, is to carry out the scheduled maintenance and change parts when they wear out. I have never had a part fail before it's designed life on my Corolla. Do this and you will get to enjoy your Toyota for lakhs of kilometers without a worry.

Attaching a picture of my car, taken a couple of hours before handing her over to the new owner. The car still felt fresh despite having over 1,00,000 kms on the ODO at the time of sale. Felt awful letting her go after 12 years of ownership.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-116.jpg

(Mods, please delete if off-topic/irrelevant)
fordfreak is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 12:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GTO. We got the car for Rs. 3.10 Lakh including insurance.
Which to me sounds like a good deal! You can't get a bigger, better & more reliable car for this kind of money. And best of all it is comfortable for backseat passengers. Ask them.

Quote:
I did try the toothpaste method for the headlamp once and it did give good results maybe time do it again.
If you're giving it for a detailing job ask the detailer to do this for you. Or, if you're interested in a DIY this stuff is made for this kinda job.

https://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-G12310-PlastX-Plastic-Cleaner/dp/B0000AY3SR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506324160&sr=8-1&keywords=meguiars+plastx

OR

https://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-G1900...eguiars+plastx
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 13:15   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We got the car for Rs. 3.10 Lakh including insurance.
Just goes to show how the market loves the Corolla over the Civic. You got a 10 year old Corolla for 3.1 lakhs. My Civic was also well-maintained, had a similar odometer reading and lots of extras (rims, tyres etc.). Still, when she was 8 years old, the best price I got was 2.5 lakhs (of course, I sold the ICE separately).

Used car dealers have told me that Corollas move fast, while Civics are dead slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
We had a Qualis in our factory that had it's ODO stuck at around 4,35,000 kms and was still running without any trouble (no idea how much it had actually run after that point).
Are you serious! Sounds like my Jeep which had its odo go a final time at 2.1 lakh km. I don't know today how much it's run!

Last edited by GTO : 25th September 2017 at 14:30.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 13:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sweet looking Corolla, asit.kulkarni93. Many congratulations. I have always loved Corolla because of its practicality, this is a perfect upgrade in used car market for you. Although I will add that interiors of this car were b-o-r-i-n-g though, even at the time of its launch but very practical. Boring may be a hit harsh word, more mature might be appropriate!

Quote:
Used car dealers have told me that Corollas move fast, while Civics are dead slow.
Agree, even I had taken longer than expected time to sell my Civic. Corolla on the other hand find buyers in used car market from all strings of life.

Quote:
Are you serious! Sounds like my Jeep which had its odo go a final time at 2.1 lakh km. I don't know today how much it's run!
Haha. Mechanical odometers in old gen cars used to give up at one stage of time. Multiple stories similar to both of you.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed