Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2018, 10:42   #61
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Update-

Recently did a 950 Kms trip to Nasik and Dhule. The car was serviced around December end. Just a normal service at my FNG- 15W40 + new oil filter. This time I managed to get the original oil filter from Bahrain. The overall FE has gone up since the oil change. During the trip the car crossed the 86k Kms mark which means it has done 40k Kms since we bought it. It took close to 26.5 months which translates to approximate running of 1500kms/month. Attaching a few pics clicked during the trip.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1515474591.956344.jpg
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1515474632.524677.jpg
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1515474693.108106.jpg
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 11:09   #62
BHPian

re: Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Update-

Recently did a 950 Kms trip to Nasik and Dhule. The car was serviced around December end. Just a normal service at my FNG- 15W40 + new oil filter. This time I managed to get the original oil filter from Bahrain. The overall FE has gone up since the oil change. During the trip the car crossed the 86k Kms mark which means it has done 40k Kms since we bought it. It took close to 26.5 months which translates to approximate running of 1500kms/month. Attaching a few pics clicked during the trip.
Asit, nice to see your workhorse doing its duty, a typical Toyota.

My '06 Corolla has clocked 72k kms (I had bought at 45k in Sep 2015).

------------

Corolla experts, need help.

My driver side seat belt is struck inside and is not moving at all, means it cannot be pulled and tied to the dock. Any idea what would be the cost for replacement of seat belts or any repair can be done on them.

If the option is only replacement, then would it be only driver side or both sides are to be replaced.

KK
Old 9th January 2018, 17:34   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
My driver side seat belt is struck inside and is not moving at all, means it cannot be pulled and tied to the dock. Any idea what would be the cost for replacement of seat belts or any repair can be done on them.
It costs less 2K at Boodmo. But they're not the best when it comes to order fulfillment

2006 Corolla RH Seatbelt

However since it is a safety device I would suggest you not take risks and approach a Toyota ASC for a quote for repair or replacement of the seatbelt.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 18:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My driver side seat belt is struck inside and is not moving at all, means it cannot be pulled and tied to the dock.
If the option is only replacement, then would it be only driver side or both sides are to be replaced.
You will have the check the seatbelt winder. At times, I have encountered it stuck on customer cars (not Toyota) due to dirt, and just cleaning it up made it ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
However since it is a safety device I would suggest you not take risks and approach a Toyota ASC for a quote for repair or replacement of the seatbelt.
+1. Best to get it checked from ASC. Further, incase the part is not available immediately, you can replace one from the rear as a stop gap arrangement till the new part comes in.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 15:18   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It costs less 2K at Boodmo. But they're not the best when it comes to order fulfillment

Thanks for giving the Boodmo link, before posting here I had searched in Boodmo, I was unable to get the item. But anyway, since you mentioned their service is average, I better not order from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
You will have the check the seatbelt winder. At times, I have encountered it stuck on customer cars (not Toyota) due to dirt, and just cleaning it up made it ok.

+1. Best to get it checked from ASC. Further, incase the part is not available immediately, you can replace one from the rear as a stop gap arrangement till the new part comes in.
I checked with the ASC and they say RH side seat belt costs 2k + GST of 28%, which should total to about 3k. I will drop my car this week to get this done and update.

KK
Old 11th January 2018, 18:23   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for giving the Boodmo link, before posting here I had searched in Boodmo, I was unable to get the item. But anyway, since you mentioned their service is average, I better not order from them.
Boodmo has delivered Corolla parts for me in the past and didn't for some I had ordered. It seems like the luck of the draw with them. Thing is, you do not need to worry KK, if they cannot source/deliver the part they will refund the money without fail.

Quote:
I checked with the ASC and they say RH side seat belt costs 2k + GST of 28%, which should total to about 3k. I will drop my car this week to get this done and update.
It's a no brainer actually. For Rs 3K you get a guaranteed part and labour. Just go to the ASC.

For the 1st time I got my car's wheel alignment done from outside an ASC at a tyre shop that uses a Hunter alignment machine (hey it has a bit of TBHP in it, our @nikhilb2008 is a dealer). Did a decent job but I had to go back as the steering wheel wasn't aligned bit to the left when the car was going straight. Took it back to him and it was fixed in 5 minutes flat. I say this because in the nearly 12 years that I took my 9G and 10G Corollas to DSK Toyota in Pune I NEVER had to go back for a second attempt on a job not perfectly done.

It's only now when I deal with other Toyota ASCs (Sharayu for e.g.) FNGs and other people I sit back in amazement at what DSK-T was able to achieve over 10-15 years only to see the owner flush that enormous goodwill down the drain in 2015-16. A sad end to an amazing dealership and very big regret for me and many Toyota owners in this city. The Toyota ownership experience has taken a hit for sure.

Let me see how the other new dealerships do including Sharayu's 2nd branch @ Tathawade off teh Dehu Rd bypass and 'Shaw Toyota' whose workshop is coming up in Wagholi in eastern Pune.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th January 2018 at 18:38.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 18:04   #67
Senior - BHPian

Update-

The car has been doing weekend runs mostly this month. The last weekend was spent camping at Pawna lake. While doing the recce of the camp site we had to travel through narrow trails and it was completely off road. Fortunately the car just scraped once which turned out to be a very steep climb for a sedan. I was hoping for a few rattles to start considering the roads we had encountered but fortunately there were none. A quick mumbai trip on Friday and today's Mega Meet at sheetal da dhaba has kept the car busy over the weekend. Need to get a steering and gearknob cover as both of them have started showing their age. Attaching a few pics-

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1516451374.426837.jpg
At the campsite

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1516451408.175129.jpg
From L to R- Bhpian YCJ's Abarth, My Corolla, Bhpian Libranof1987's Ecosport and Bhpian //M's CR-V.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1516451526.315480.jpg
Shot from the Abarth

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1516451548.197426.jpg
Currently the Corolla is being parked on the road. This pic was clicked after a exhaustive mumbai trip on Friday.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 17:49   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Update-

Attachment 1714227
Attachment 1714229
Attachment 1714230
What has the difference in FE been with 5w40, viz-a-viz 15w40?
Old 23rd January 2018, 22:18   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
There should be no difference as both oils are SAE 40 viscosity at operating temperature. Whatever small differences there are can be attributed to to other factors.

My car was filled Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 synthetic (instead of the normal Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 synthetic) just before a ~430 km long inter city highway drive. Need to recheck on the efficiency as this viscosity is supposedly a fuel saver according the to owners manual.
Old 24th January 2018, 08:44   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post

The tank range had significantly reduced in my car when I had 5w40. On the same route the very next month I was back to my 500-600kms range including 50:50 City:highway driving conditions. I have used 15w40 as it's the recommended grade from Toyota. Next up it will 5w30. Attaching a pic of the recommended grades from Toyota.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1516763650.885830.jpg
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 13:30   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the same route the very next month I was back to my 500-600kms range including 50:50 City:highway driving conditions.
I just changed over to Mobil 1 5W-30. I am not sure if range is calculated till the fuel indicator shows up (8 lt in the tank) as against letting the tank empty which is detrimental to the fuel pump.

I will be pleasantly surprised if I get 15ish which for a vehicle this size is very good. The best I ever got 15.6-15.7 was when the car was new, speed was between 80-100 kmph without sound deadening material applied to the doors and dicky lid plus an aftermarket ICE system with a 12 Kg sub woofer. All these things add up to dent FE.
Old 24th January 2018, 20:36   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

In both the Corollas that I've owned, I found Castrol Magnatec 10W40 to offer the best fuel efficiency.

This is , of course, is with other conditions like the route, traffic conditions being the same.

Other oils that I used like Shell Helix HX5 15w40 and Petronas Syntium 800 10w50 were nowhere as good as Magnatec.

The spark plug gap at 40 thou (1.1mm) is the best for FE.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 15:11   #73
BHPian

My car won't start, all of a sudden

Today morning, I was all ready to go to office, only to find that the car did not start. The battery is new (3 months old), all other appliances are working fine. It's just that the starter motor isn't getting enough charge. In my opinion,

1. The problem is with the starter motor (but how could it go bad all of a sudden?)

2. The battery has a problem in as much as it is discharged and needs either replacement or service.

Note - Can't hear the "click" sound that one should hear, in order to conclude that the battery is bad.
Old 26th January 2018, 15:29   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Note - Can't hear the "click" sound that one should hear, in order to conclude that the battery is bad.
The click sound usually is the fuel pump. If you are unable to hear that, maybe the pump is not working.

Is there no crank at all? Or the engine doesn't start even after cranking?
Old 26th January 2018, 17:08   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The click sound usually is the fuel pump. If you are unable to hear that, maybe the pump is not working.

Is there no crank at all? Or the engine doesn't start even after cranking?
I did not encounter any tell-a-tale signs of a bad pump previously. All of this has happened all of a sudden. I will try starting it again, hear closely and then inform. Hoping that it is not the pump that has gone bad.

Most Viewed