Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2018, 22:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
It has been my practice to keep on driving till the low fuel light come up, and then fill the fuel. I do this because that helps to use all the previously filled fuel, and I get to know about the quality of the freshly filled fuel. I used to do this in my earlier car, the Indigo, and her pump never gave me any problems in the ten years of my ownership. I think that practice may not suit the Altis.

Consequentially, would you two suggest me to take a look at the fuel pump / lines, injectors and spark plugs too? Though a fuel pump is not a part to be serviced, is it advisable to get the pump serviced?
When the low fuel light comes on, the car has gone in reserve mode with just a few litres of fuel in the tank. Thereafter by the time you find a bunk and refuel, the tank may have run empty. Usually try to refuel when the fuel goes below 25%.

Your car's current symptoms do not indicate anything wrong with the fuel system so best leave it untouched.

The pump can be serviced from select few mechanics, but best avoided.
Old 30th January 2018, 09:18   #92
BHPian

Back to square one.

The car did not start yesterday morning. Have informed Toyota about it. They're sending their technician to our home today noon.
Old 30th January 2018, 10:40   #93
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse

Update-

The long weekend was spent in Pune but I headed out to chalkewadi and wai yesterday. The ODO is nearing the 88k Kms mark. Overall FE has been between 13.5-14.5kmpl. Idling with AC on in the afternoon at Satara reduced the overall FE.

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1517288873.718436.jpg

Quote:
Back to square one.

The car did not start yesterday morning. Have informed Toyota about it. They're sending their technician to our home today noon.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Swapnil. It's best you let Toyota take care of these issues now.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 12:44   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Back to square one.

Ask if the tech can remove the starter at your premises to ascertain the cause of the problem. A little lubing will resolve a stuck pinion gear. However, anything more serious will require a tow to the workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Update- The long weekend was spent in Pune but I headed out to chalkewadi and wai yesterday.
Great photo! You seem to have captured what seems to be a shooting star in the evening sky.
Old 16th February 2018, 17:28   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Back to square one.

Could not update the status due to impending VAT audits whose due date was over yesterday. The car was scanned with an OBD scanner, and a fault code "U0100", along with 3 other codes relating to the ABS Module, A.C. Module and Body Module were detected by the scanner.

The technician cleared the codes and advised me to keep a check on the security warning after the key is inserted, the ignition is turned on, and the car is started. He also advised to prepare a new key.

So far (after clearing those codes), I have not faced any problem in starting the car. The advise to program a new key for the car, is yet to be implemented though. There are no problems whatsoever with the starter motor, fuel pump, fuel pump relay or fuel lines.

The engine immobiliser prevents the car from cranking because the car's computer does not recognise the key due to some reason, is a new lesson learnt for the first time in my 11 year life as a car owner and driver
Old 16th February 2018, 17:44   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The engine immobiliser prevents the car from cranking because the car's computer does not recognise the key due to some reason, is a new lesson learnt for the first time in my 11 year life as a car owner and driver
Glad to hear all is OK. Yes, the immobiliser will prevent the starter from cranking the engine. So then what was the source of the noise you heard?

The RFID chip in your factory supplied key may have got damaged hence the inconsistent behaviour. However, you can also use the spare key as a stand-in till a new key, which BTW is pretty costly, is programmed.
Old 16th February 2018, 19:02   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
new key, which BTW is pretty costly, is programmed.
Got a spare key for my corolla couple of days back, paid 1.4k. It took less than 10 minutes for the entire process (cutting & programming)

Toyota Corolla: Our pre-owned workhorse EDIT: Sold!-img_5894.jpg
[ignore the Nissan key]
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 19:10   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Got a spare key for my corolla couple of days back, paid 1.4k. It took less than 10 minutes for the entire process (cutting & programming)

Attachment 1731607
[ignore the Nissan key]
Details please, where to buy key fob which fits the immobiliser there in my existing key. I bought an empty key fob from Ali Express an year ago, but it ended up not using, as the immobiliser didn't fit inside. BTW I had searched as Corolla 2006 while buying it also.

Need to do it for my 2006 Corolla.

KK
Old 16th February 2018, 19:24   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Details please, where to buy key fob which fits the immobiliser there in my existing key. I bought an empty key fob from Ali Express an year ago, but it ended up not using, as the immobiliser didn't fit inside. BTW I had searched as Corolla 2006 while buying it also.

Need to do it for my 2006 Corolla.
Got it done from VR Suresh Key Center - Tambaram (Chennai)
https://www.justdial.com/Chennai/VR-...6_BZDET/photos

He has the blank & transponder chip for most of the makes / models. In my case he tried with the available chip but couldn't succeed, later got a different chip (glass material) and cloning machine.

In case if you need the chip alone, I can support or you may contact him directly.

PS: can you post the snap of your key blank? (inner construction)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 19:41   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got it done from VR Suresh Key Center - Tambaram
Yes 3rd party will certainly be much cheaper. The price at the ASC is between 5-10K which is why I said it's quite costly.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 19:47   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes 3rd party will certainly be much cheaper. The price at the ASC is between 5-10K which is why I said it's quite costly.
That's the reason I didn't visit ASC Had spent around 13k for Civic replacement key few years back.

I was earlier reluctant to go with 3rd party since it is always a hit or miss situation, but later heard through many sources that (certain) ASC don't provide warranty on the replacement keys (is it true?)
Old 16th February 2018, 19:54   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's the reason I didn't visit ASC Had spent around 13k for Civic replacement key few years back.
13K?! Damn! That's heck of a lot of money for a stupid key!

Quote:
I was earlier reluctant to go with 3rd party since it is always a hit or miss situation, but later heard through many sources that (certain) ASC don't provide warranty on the replacement keys (is it true?)
Bro, I take care of those keys and hope I don't need to get a replacement, (unless keys are misplaced) as long as I have my Altis.

There's a friendly neighbourhood key maker just about 300 metres from my home who claims he can make a key for any car. Something like a FNG but works out of a road side stall. I don't want to put him to the test though my Dad did for his Palio which turned out to be of pretty decent quality after all. The Palio doesn't use a security system so it was quite simple compared to cars with RFID security systems.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 21:48   #103
BHPian

Quote:

There's a friendly neighbourhood key maker just about 300 metres from my home who claims he can make a key for any car. Something like a FNG but works out of a road side stall.
Yes it can be done and is not very tough. You can get blank key for corolla from aliexpress. There are programmer tools available, again on the same side which can be used to program the key.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 21:50   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Yes it can be done and is not very tough. You can get blank key for corolla from aliexpress. There are programmer tools available, again on the same side which can be used to program the key.
Thanks for this info. It's useful should I or anybody else need it.
Old 17th February 2018, 12:57   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this info. It's useful should I or anybody else need it.
See this video, if it can be of any help.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed