Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2007, 12:04   #31
BHPian

moralfibre,even i had doubts regarding the ecu remap but didnt comment as i was not very sure.if i remember right,fiat did re-map the ecu of the palio 1.2 sometimes back-thus was born the 1.2 nv which was done to increase the fuel efficiency.to the best of my knowledge,such a thing was not done for the 1.6
so its the cat-con alone doing the damage.have to start searching for a free-flow exhaust once i get the money!!
Old 6th February 2007, 01:56   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
so its the cat-con alone doing the damage.have to start searching for a free-flow exhaust once i get the money!!
Yeah, that seems to be the perfect way of curing a constipated palio 1.6.

Sure enough, the new ones are not as responsive due to reasons mentioned in this thread.But what i've noticed is that its just the initial response that is a bit lack lustre.There should'nt be much of a difference once the car is above the 2000 rpm mark.But yes,the car will feel significantly sluggish with a/c on and a full load of passengers.I experienced this sluggishness when I test drove the euro 3 petra last year.The Petra diesel in comparison was much better in terms of low end response.

Infact,the palio 1.6 was reintroduced as the PALIO 1.6 'NV' SPORT, so as to emphasise that changes were made along the lines of the 1.2 engine.Now it is confirmed that the cat converter was repositioned near the exhaust manifold to enable the engine to reach optimum operating temperature at start-up, thereby reducing emissions and enabling the engine to meet euro3 norms.This alone would have affected the initial response of the engine.I'm not sure if the ecu has been tweaked as well or not.

Whatever it is,it still is a great car/hot hatch,and is still brilliant enough to provide adequate levels of driving pleasure.

Last edited by roms : 6th February 2007 at 02:05.
Old 6th February 2007, 09:22   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Does the year of manufacture of the ECU, and hence the firmware have any effect on what the mapping is? Couldnt you re-program / re-map the ECU?
They could but Fiat has already brought down ECU's to India from Magnetti Marelli and I dont think or rather know whether India operations has any method by which they can remap the ECU locally. I have the software CD's for the latest ECU program and I can confirm that the software hasnt changed since 2002.
Old 6th February 2007, 09:24   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
moralfibre,even i had doubts regarding the ecu remap but didnt comment as i was not very sure.if i remember right,fiat did re-map the ecu of the palio 1.2 sometimes back-thus was born the 1.2 nv which was done to increase the fuel efficiency.
I doubt if the ECU was remapped in the NV either? The cat-con was repositioned.
Old 6th February 2007, 11:24   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I doubt if the ECU was remapped in the NV either? The cat-con was repositioned.
Nope,the ecu was changed for the NV. I can vouch for that. Refer to my first ever thread on this forum where I had introduced myself .I had a 2002 manufactured 1.2 then.Refer to reply number 9 in that thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...tml#post172430
Old 6th February 2007, 11:38   #36
BHPian

Can ECU be remapped to the original GTX ? If so, how it can be done to my 1.6 Sport ? Who will do that and how much it charges ?
Old 6th February 2007, 11:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
Can ECU be remapped to the original GTX ? If so, how it can be done to my 1.6 Sport ? Who will do that and how much it charges ?

mahadev,but why?according to moralfibre and roms,the ecu is the same as that of the gtx-then why bother to remap it?and in any case,if not done properly by an expert,you will be inviting trouble.

better to install a free flow exhaust.less tensions and probably cheaper too!
Old 26th March 2007, 12:34   #38
BHPian

Well guys, I may sound stupid, but
1. could you tell me where can i get free flow exhaust installed on my 1.6?
2. Will it affect FE adversely as currently i am very much satisfied with it.
Old 26th March 2007, 12:57   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Well guys, I may sound stupid, but
1. could you tell me where can i get free flow exhaust installed on my 1.6?
Go to anyone but Automech in Parel (Sun Mills compound). They DO NOT know how to install FFE's in Palio's and are lousy with customer service. Read my experience here - Post #62 . I will post pictures soon.

Quote:
2. Will it affect FE adversely as currently i am very much satisfied with it.
I don't think it should if it is properly designed.
Old 26th March 2007, 14:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Moralfibre - pardon my stupid question, i need to know what exactly is a free flow exhaust? and also whether the detuning of the 1.6 engine on the new cars have improved the fuel efficiency at all? to more than 9kmpl?
Old 26th March 2007, 15:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

From what i have heard the new 1.6 Sport comes with different Gear Ratios and a Catalytic Converter placed Closer to the Engine. The New Gear Ratio should be responsible for the Sluggishness But It gives you a cool extra 1.5-2KM extra mileage. My Adventure Gives me an Average of 10.5-11 KM/L With Just a little below 9km/L in CIty Driving. I dont think the GTX used to give that much. CAn someone confirm on the FE.
Old 26th March 2007, 16:32   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
Moralfibre - pardon my stupid question, i need to know what exactly is a free flow exhaust? and also whether the detuning of the 1.6 engine on the new cars have improved the fuel efficiency at all? to more than 9kmpl?
This link will help you understand better -
Yes detuning the 1.6 sport has improved FE on the car. I get around 10-11 kmpl in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
From what i have heard the new 1.6 Sport comes with different Gear Ratios and a Catalytic Converter placed Closer to the Engine. The New Gear Ratio should be responsible for the Sluggishness But It gives you a cool extra 1.5-2KM extra mileage. My Adventure Gives me an Average of 10.5-11 KM/L With Just a little below 9km/L in CIty Driving. I dont think the GTX used to give that much. CAn someone confirm on the FE.
The Cat is already as close to the engine that it can get. As a matter of fact, it is placed about 2 inches after the exhaust port where the headers converge. I doubt whether any changes are made to the gear ratios. The GTX does give around 10 - 17 kmpl in mixed conditions.
Old 26th March 2007, 16:59   #43
Team-BHP Support

Free flow pictures from Palio 1.6 GTX

You can see what a catalytic converter looks like and how close it already is to the headers.
Old 26th March 2007, 17:41   #44
BHPian

With decent driving, my 2001 GTX gives me 10 kmpl in the city (75% AC). Highway driving with 100% AC yields ~14 kmpl with speeds around the 120+ mark and reasonable acceleration.
Old 26th March 2007, 19:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil View Post
With decent driving, my 2001 GTX gives me 10 kmpl in the city (75% AC). Highway driving with 100% AC yields ~14 kmpl with speeds around the 120+ mark and reasonable acceleration.
Just about same here with my S10

Most Viewed