Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 27th February 2021, 19:30   #106
BHPian

Default Re: 4,40,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!

Again... Let the picture do the talking.

4,40,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-1614408540812-meter.jpg

Elantra is reaching 15 years, FC is up by this year end. Keeping a car with you for 15 years is really something and even more if the car is reliable all these years. I got Elantra at a really young age, I did not know head and tail about cars, it was my dad who selected the car, it was all him looking for a powerful car with safelty which can cover highways like a breeze and boy, we did choose the right car. From my experience Id say the challenge starts if you decided to keep the car after 10 years, you need a lot of patience to source parts, a good FNG is a must. Then the mind game starts, is it practical to keep something this old? Etc

Elantra is again special because we never kept any other car for more than 10 years. One Innova we kept for 8 years and that was the longest. I would have definitely sold the Elantra, at one point I put ad and contacted dealers to sell the car, but destiny had other plans, situation changed and I badly needed a car when I visit Kerala and thought why not use Elantra? Since 2017 Elantra is in Kerala full time.

Car has been pretty reliable all these years, I would not call myself a car enthusiast, it is in my nature to take care of things that I own, let it be anything. So, I just took care of the car and it served me way above my expectations. All these years and kilometers, car never broke down or stranded us anywhere. Couple of times there were signs that things are gonna give up soon and we took care of things immediately without fail.
At one point wifey was telling me to sell the car and I somehow justified the reasons and fast forward 2021 it is time to do the FC, shes telling me to keep the car for our city runs.

Value what you have

4,40,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20210227_161051-car.jpg

Last year due to covid and stuff Elantra barely ran anywhere. I wanted to take her for a long run before I go for FC, just to make sure the car is fit to do a highway run. This month starting got a chance, Kerala-Bangalore, alone, with family Id never take Elantra for a long run, something happens, you are in big trouble if family is with you. Since it was just me, took the opportunity to test the car, what I expected, the opposite happened. It drove like a dream, till 120 kmph I could keep up with pretty much anything on road, car still gives good mileage, most importantly, it could still put a grin on my face when I floor the pedal. What more do you need from a 15-year-old car?

Before doing FC, I decided to do a thorough mechanical checkup, if any parts required changing, will source parts from Bangalore and fix it. I was doing interior cleaning last week, noticed couple of things, seats are still holding up, 15 years, only driver seat shows age, other seats are actually in decent condition, I am still using the carpets and floor mats I got with the car Those are in decent condition too.

Back seat and those floor mat, got it with the car

4,40,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20210227_161608-back-seat.jpg

All the electrical and switches are working, everything works! I have a strict policy of not to fiddle with any wiring in the car, that could be the reason everything is still holding up.

Window switches

4,40,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20210227_161628-switch.jpg

Boot

4,40,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20210227_161929-boot.jpg

We stay very close to the sea, barely 3 KM, car is rust free, this shows how well the car is built.

4,40,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-img_20210227_161956-no-rust.jpg

Cheers.
jonesanto is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 19:55   #107
BHPian

I keep coming back to this thread to marvel at how Hyundai used to build their cars (of course, you rightfully deserve all the credit for maintaining it)

You know how most cars have different tolerances when examined with a fine toothed comb even though they're the same cars from the same manufacturer? Heck, every Tata/Mahindra car that rolls out of the assembly line is different with their own niggles and birthmarks. At one end of the spectrum, you've got yourself a lemon car and at the other, you've hit the lottery and everything works for years to come. I think you've hit the lottery multiple times now.

Last edited by createrkid : 27th February 2021 at 19:57.
createrkid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 17:45   #108
BHPian

Dude. What the hell man! 4.5 lakh in a Hyundai...how is that even possible? I mean we take Toyota, Honda and other Japs for granted when it comes to such high mileage runs but the Hyundai doing that is just beyond me. Amazing how well you maintained it and there is this content feeling seeing how well it holds up after such a long run. Do you miss the gizmos like bluetooth and all (did the car even have it then)? Sorry if I missed this but do you service it at Hyundai A.S.S or give it to a local FNG?
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 19:47   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
I think you've hit the lottery multiple times now.
Thank you, createrkid. I can confidently say now that I have got a niggle free car and with regular maintenance everything worked for years. They don't make them like this anymore, which is a shame. I had finalized on Seltos, then I heard about brake issues, apparently there is a chance it would not work when you need them. Then the NCPA rating was the final nail in the coffin, 3 star for a car cost 20 big ones? Thank you, I will pass that. Shortlisted Harrier AT, but man, so many niggles and issues reported by owners, it is really a killjoy. I am finishing up a house construction, car purchase can wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Do you miss the gizmos like bluetooth and all (did the car even have it then)? Sorry if I missed this but do you service it at Hyundai A.S.S or give it to a local FNG?
Thank you, rosh, all your questions have been answered here at some point, so, I will keep it short. Stock audio set up was pathetic, it was a cassette player, changed that to a touch screen, this unit has everything covered except for the maps. I still have the stock unit with me, future generation will never see a cassette player in real life, they will only see pics. I will keep that for someone to see it in future. I have got TPMS installed recently, planning to get a Dashcam and install it without fiddling with the wires.

Service, service, well, Hyundai service is pathetic when it comes to old cars, they don't want to attend cars like this at all, heck, Hyundai don't even support their newer and on sale premium cars. They just keep it for the heck of it. I don't even get air filter for my car at Hyundai, so I source all original and do it at my FNG and they do sincere work on my car. Being in Bangalore helps a lot, I get pretty much everything from JC road, if at all I am unable to source it, I have contacts abroad and I will source it from there, she runs trouble free.

Just realized I have never put a picture how the car looks at night, these are not the shots the car deserves, I could never take good pictures Still...

4,40,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-1614864986930.jpg

Side profile

4,40,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-1614864986918.jpg

I still dig how the cockpit looks at night in this car

4,40,000 km on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra CRDi - And going strong!-1614864986923.jpg
jonesanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 20:01   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow that oil color after 1500km is unreal! Even in a new diesel engine the oil gets blackened within a few hundred km after oil change!! What's your secret?
The engine has run 4.5 Lakh km. That means it is well beaded and everything is smoother than when new. Talk to any cabby with an Innova with 4-5 lakh on the odo, and they will tell you the same thing, the engine gets smoother the more it runs.
Follow two things. A patient running in when new, not reeving hard till engine has properly warmed up means the engine will live on to a very long age.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed